What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

We finished Ricky Gervais' show After Life. Loved it. Gervais is great as usual and he, once again, assembles a great supporting cast. I'd imagine it would be a therapeutic show for someone that is depressed or suicidal. We finished it like a week ago and it still sticks with me.
Really can't recommend this show enough.  I was skeptical, not a fan of his in general (moreso that I haven't ever really watched him in anything else), but thoroughly enjoyed this show for all the reasons already touched upon. 

It's so well done, all the characters are likeable in their own way, and the pace of the show is spot on.  I'm still amazed at how the characters were developed in such a short period of time on screen. 

I'm not even sure how you would describe the show.  It's not a drama, it's not a comedy, but it is so worth watching.  Agree re: widow at the cemetery.  So many moments of tears followed by laughs overall. 

Really can't recommend this show enough.  I was skeptical, not a fan of his in general (moreso that I haven't ever really watched him in anything else), but thoroughly enjoyed this show for all the reasons already touched upon. 

It's so well done, all the characters are likeable in their own way, and the pace of the show is spot on.  I'm still amazed at how the characters were developed in such a short period of time on screen. 

I'm not even sure how you would describe the show.  It's not a drama, it's not a comedy, but it is so worth watching.  Agree re: widow at the cemetery.  So many moments of tears followed by laughs overall. 
:thumbup:  

While not as good as After Life, you might want to check out Extras, if you haven't already. Worth it just for the David Bowie scene.

Yeah, couldn't make it past episode one. And I know it's a minor problem, but the notion that someone named their son Hieronymus Bosch is just such a stupid gimmick it feels totally unauthentic. 
I made it through the 1st season, and a few into the 2nd in spite of it's badness... mostly because it seemed to get praise in here- so I kept waiting to see when it would stop being bad. it didn't. 

and lol a the name issue. totally- if your last name's bosch, no freaking way you go with hieronymus for your kid. like naming your kid adolf with anything close to hitler as your last name.... minus the horrific negative connotations. that said- I did go to HS with a kid named hieronymus. a classmate liked it so much, used his name as a wildcard word of choice... "that's not hieronymus, dude"

I made it through the 1st season, and a few into the 2nd in spite of it's badness... mostly because it seemed to get praise in here- so I kept waiting to see when it would stop being bad. it didn't. 

and lol a the name issue. totally- if your last name's bosch, no freaking way you go with hieronymus for your kid. like naming your kid adolf with anything close to hitler as your last name.... minus the horrific negative connotations. that said- I did go to HS with a kid named hieronymus. a classmate liked it so much, used his name as a wildcard word of choice... "that's not hieronymus, dude"
i went to elementary with a kid named Bilbo. And played little league baseball with an Elvis. naming your kid "Hieronymus" just seems damn egregious.  

Sure.

Amazon hasn't reached the heights that FX, HBO, or AMC achieved. That said, I'd freely recommend all these shows:

Goliath (season 1 only)
I Love D!ck
Patriot

Sure.

Amazon hasn't reached the heights that FX, HBO, or AMC achieved. That said, I'd freely recommend all these shows:

Goliath (season 1 only)
I Love D!ck
Patriot
I'm an avowed Patriot fan- but it has it's limits. didn't love Goliath. can't remember if I saw any of I love richard.

couple others that I like, but also run into their own issues...besides some of the obvious (mrs M, high castle)- fortitude and catastrophe.

i went to elementary with a kid named Bilbo. And played little league baseball with an Elvis. naming your kid "Hieronymus" just seems damn egregious.  
I grew up in post hippie marin county, CA. there were a ton of kids with the names from all sources- from mythology to literature to just too stoned (twins named rasberry & cream)... but hieronymus was definitely the winner/loser.

I grew up in post hippie marin county, CA. there were a ton of kids with the names from all sources- from mythology to literature to just too stoned (twins named rasberry & cream)... but hieronymus was definitely the winner/loser.
similarly, there was a hippie community just outside of Nashville when i was a kid. all the boys i saw at track and cross country meets looked like young Allman Bros. the girls had names like Star and Apple. they were also really cool, awfully cute and of loose morals (thankfully).

I'm an avowed Patriot fan- but it has it's limits. didn't love Goliath. can't remember if I saw any of I love richard.

couple others that I like, but also run into their own issues...besides some of the obvious (mrs M, high castle)- fortitude and catastrophe.
If you like offbeat comedy, you should definitely watch I Love Richard. Really weird and good.

Another good season for Bosch (Season 5).

It had an unexpectedly hilarious courtroom scene in episode 9.

If you haven't enjoyed the first 4 seasons, no need to bother, as it's more of the same.

I have enjoyed every season.

Started "The OA." Three episodes in so far.  It's definitely unique.  There been any discussion on this show? The two letters make it difficult to use the search function.  Worth it to keep watching? 

i liked the oa because it was totally different than anything i have ever watched and it challenged me to keep going and then bam i ended up liking it and now i know the entire dance and can probably transport to other dimensions so bam score one for the old swcer take that to the bank brohans 
spoilers, bro-O-A-han!

:thumbup:  

While not as good as After Life, you might want to check out Extras, if you haven't already. Worth it just for the David Bowie scene.
Everything Gervais does is gold.  The British office is my favourite tv comedy of all time. 

Derek is also excellent.   

I finally watched Happy on Netflix, It was an enjoyable binge and I hope there is a season 2.
They will probably cancel it on a cliffhanger after season three.  It seems to be their new strategy for success in building a library.

Rove! said:
They will probably cancel it on a cliffhanger after season three.  It seems to be their new strategy for success in building a library.
It’s a syfy show so hopefully not 

finally finished series "Casual" on Hulu. it's not perfect or especially funny but i liked it mostly. feels like one of those Showtime shows like "Weeds" or whatever for me in that there was nothing wrong with it but an ingredient was missing that kept it from being great.

Nearly done, Dead to Me, starring Christina Applegate.  Unless it goes totally off the rails in the last two episodes, its been a good watch.

Undercover. About two undercover agents who infiltrate a drug kingpin's inner circle. Really liked it, lots of twists and turns.

Remastered; Devil at the Crossroads. The usual whodunit stuff of this series. You never really learn much but I do watch them for some odd reason.  This one clocked it at less than an hour.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. Surprisingly decent performance by Zac Efron as Bundy. You might want to deep dive with the Bundy Tapes series, which is superior.

Wild District. About a Colombian guerrilla that has to re-orientate his life to an urban setting while dealing with his past. Was ok bit found it a bit of a slog.

I’m about 5 episodes in. It’s ok but not great.

My previously mentioned love of Christina A is about the only thing that will keep me watching.

Nearly done, Dead to Me, starring Christina Applegate.  Unless it goes totally off the rails in the last two episodes, its been a good watch.
Watched it last weekend.  30 min eps make it easy to get through.  I enjoyed it.   Applegate is fantastic and still looks amazing. Linda Cardellini is good as well.  Story flows like a windy river, so you know whats coming but throws you off for an ep.

Maktub is a 2018 Israeli black comedy set in Jerusalem about a couple of mob goons that decide to leave the mob after an unexpected event. I wasn’t sure what to expect but in the end its a fun film about friendship with a lot of laughs throughout.

Family movie night over the weekend. We were hoping for something silly, action-y for the 9 year old and settled on "Get Smart" with Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway.  Supporting cast has Dwayne Johnson,  Alan Arkin  and even the very english Terence Stamp as the villain. So, so bad. Terrible writing. Zero chemistry between the cast but nothing shared between Carrell and Hathaway. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when my son can begin a proper film education.

Family movie night over the weekend. We were hoping for something silly, action-y for the 9 year old and settled on "Get Smart" with Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway.  Supporting cast has Dwayne Johnson,  Alan Arkin  and even the very english Terence Stamp as the villain. So, so bad. Terrible writing. Zero chemistry between the cast but nothing shared between Carrell and Hathaway. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when my son can begin a proper film education.
"so so bad"? Really?? 6.5 / 10 on IDMB. My family laughed.

It's meant to be a silly comedy. Not a spy thriller.

My wife and I have been watching Kim's Convenience the last few days.  It's a really cute, funny, feel-good show that makes us laugh.
We finished the most recent (3rd) season a few days ago, and miss it already.   Really likable characters, especially the parents.

One side effect of watching it is now we've been saying certain things to each other with their Korean accent - mostly "See you" and "Bye" with a little "Watch you talking?" every now and then - and our son thinks we're being racist or something.  So we give him a nice big Canadian "Sorry."

"so so bad"? Really?? 6.5 / 10 on IDMB. My family laughed.

It's meant to be a silly comedy. Not a spy thriller.
We were looking for silly comedy and this wasn't much of one. I remember the series from reruns as a kid even. This was wooden acting, flat pacing, and complete absence of chemistry between Carrell and Hathaway. Wife and I barely managed a chuckle. Rotten Tomatoes critic score is 50%, with fans on giving it 66%. It's pretty similar overall to films like Rowan Atkinson pic called "Johnny English" which was pretty dumb too.

On S1E7 of the Last Kingdom. It has it's moments but also kinda drags at times. I know it has a following here, worth keeping on with it or just bail now because it doesn't get any better?

On S1E7 of the Last Kingdom. It has it's moments but also kinda drags at times. I know it has a following here, worth keeping on with it or just bail now because it doesn't get any better?
I enjoyed the show immensely.  I think the Alfred character becomes one of the best adversaries (not villain), he’s just so dang weasesly and his wife even worse!  Beocca is wonderfully played as well.  As for Uhtred, he’ll continue to gain your sympathy just to have another “WTF did you do that?!?” moment.

We finished the most recent (3rd) season a few days ago, and miss it already.   Really likable characters, especially the parents.

One side effect of watching it is now we've been saying certain things to each other with their Korean accent - mostly "See you" and "Bye" with a little "Watch you talking?" every now and then - and our son thinks we're being racist or something.  So we give him a nice big Canadian "Sorry."
We're always yelling "STOP" and I accuse her of sneak attacks.

I enjoyed the show immensely.  I think the Alfred character becomes one of the best adversaries (not villain), he’s just so dang weasesly and his wife even worse!  Beocca is wonderfully played as well.  As for Uhtred, he’ll continue to gain your sympathy just to have another “WTF did you do that?!?” moment.
I loved the Last Kingdom.  Looking forward to future seasons.

I like it a lot. It’s a bit of a slow burn - I usually have to talk myself into watching the first couple episodes whenever a new season drops, but after that I’m hooked and I binge the rest of it. I’d probably finish the first season and reevaluate. Seasons 2-3 are similar in quality, I’d say. 

beer 30 said:
It definitely gets better, but I'm surprised you aren't all the way in already. I'd recommend that you keep going because I love the show but you've seen enough to get a feel for it at this point. You are almost done with Season 1, I'd finish that off and see how you feel. I think it gets better but it's not drastically different or anything like that. 

The first two seasons were done by the BBC and Netflix grabbed the rights. The 3rd season is a full on Netflix Original and the budget is clearly in a different stratosphere compared to the first two seasons. 

Finished "Undercover", about 2 cops trying to bring down a big ecstacy dealer.  Had it's moments, but really ran out of gas late.

Users who are viewing this thread