Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Mirage is MUCH better than Timecrimes.

Oh, see, I liked Timecrimes. It's the "Tremors" of Spanish sci-fi flicks.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, saintfool said:
5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Mirage - A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

 

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!

Makes me think of the very fun "Time Crimes" somehow. 

or frequency

 

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Has anyone else watched The Rain on Netflix? It may have been discussed already. I did a search but had trouble finding anything . . .

nm... I've mentioned that I gave up after 15-30 mintues because it was just that bad. but it has its fans here- so even though I didn't stay out of it... I'll stay out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if mentioned but No Escape was entertaining.  Really zero plot but does a good job allowing you to feel their terror.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 10:14 AM, El Floppo said:

floppinha watches a guy and girl... girl has has the most annoying voice in the history of annoying voices. they probably own several islands at this point.

If it's the married couple (stumpy?) I've been wishing for them to die in a vat of boiling dynamite for five years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Mirage - A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

 

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!

very nice rec, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 2:45 PM, jdoggydogg said:

If you people didn't watch Traitors, (nflx) you should.

A most excellent recommendation. Thx!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished up The Society.  Liked, didn't love it.  As is usual with these kind of shows, virtually none of the characters have any redeeming qualities and IDGAF what happens to them.  But it's got a supernatural element to it that I like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

Finished up The Society.  Liked, didn't love it.  As is usual with these kind of shows, virtually none of the characters have any redeeming qualities and IDGAF what happens to them.  But it's got a supernatural element to it that I like. 

You might like Chambers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 6:57 PM, jdoggydogg said:

:thumbup:   Fleabag is brilliant.

 

I'm on season 1 episode 4. I'm having a hard time because the lead character is so incredibly unlikeable. And unlike Veep - which has terrible people throughout it that is just played for laughs - we are supposed to like her. And sympathize with her. 

I'm finding it awfully hard to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whoknew said:

 

I'm on season 1 episode 4. I'm having a hard time because the lead character is so incredibly unlikeable. And unlike Veep - which has terrible people throughout it that is just played for laughs - we are supposed to like her. And sympathize with her. 

I'm finding it awfully hard to do that.

I understand she tips over pretty easy - that could be fun.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when I was going to gripe yet again about not much being good on NF after trying a couple shows (Dead to Me, The Society, Umbrella Academy), I finally tried the first couple episodes of American Vandal and laughed a lot.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, brianj74 said:

Nearly done, Dead to Me, starring Christina Applegate.  Unless it goes totally off the rails in the last two episodes, its been a good watch.

Undercover. About two undercover agents who infiltrate a drug kingpin's inner circle. Really liked it, lots of twists and turns.

Remastered; Devil at the Crossroads. The usual whodunit stuff of this series. You never really learn much but I do watch them for some odd reason.  This one clocked it at less than an hour.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. Surprisingly decent performance by Zac Efron as Bundy. You might want to deep dive with the Bundy Tapes series, which is superior.

Wild District. About a Colombian guerrilla that has to re-orientate his life to an urban setting while dealing with his past. Was ok bit found it a bit of a slog.

Just got done with the Bundy documentary....not bad.

Does anyone know if they went back and confirmed his murders via DNA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bosoxs45 said:

Should I watch Orphan Black?

I enjoy it, but will fully admit that it gets a bit bonkers after a couple seasons.  

The main reason to watch is for the acting tour de force put in by Maslany.  She should have won all the awards every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I enjoy it, but will fully admit that it gets a bit bonkers after a couple seasons.  

The main reason to watch is for the acting tour de force put in by Maslany.  She should have won all the awards every year. 

Wife and I went through all 5 seasons in the last few months, we both really liked it overall. Her portrayal of the different characters really was amazing. They all seemed like distinct characters, different speech patterns, body language, etc. I was pretty amazed. 

There were a few hiccups I thought (Tony? Why?) and the usual inexplicable annoying plot mechanisms but overall we both looked forward to watching it each night.

Edited by Ranethe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, whoknew said:

 

I'm on season 1 episode 4. I'm having a hard time because the lead character is so incredibly unlikeable. And unlike Veep - which has terrible people throughout it that is just played for laughs - we are supposed to like her. And sympathize with her. 

I'm finding it awfully hard to do that.

She is. But keep watching, season 2 is incredible 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I enjoy it, but will fully admit that it gets a bit bonkers after a couple seasons.  

The main reason to watch is for the acting tour de force put in by Maslany.  She should have won all the awards every year. 

Agreed on Maslany, she is amazing. I think I got a couple of episodes into Season 5 and gave up. Maybe I will finish it one day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

Mirage -A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

 

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!

:thumbup:

i felt like the movie got better as it went along....slowly and methodically ratcheting up the tension and pacing out the reveals...nicely done

Edited by Rove!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished "Shrill" on Hulu. Amusing comedy with Aidy Bryant. It's not aiming for big laughs but it's enjoyable. I like the writing quite a bit because it offers up a different voice/story. Bryant gives a nice performance too. Season 2 been given the greenlight even. There's a pool party scene where Christo would have been very happy.

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

Mirage - A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

 

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!

Great recommendation.  And even the time travel rules kind of seemed to make sense.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, whoknew said:

 

I'm on season 1 episode 4. I'm having a hard time because the lead character is so incredibly unlikeable. And unlike Veep - which has terrible people throughout it that is just played for laughs - we are supposed to like her. And sympathize with her. 

I'm finding it awfully hard to do that.

 

2 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

She is. But keep watching, season 2 is incredible 

I'm not sure what to recommend. I love the show, but it is about a genuine flawed character that finds humor in all the wrinkles and imperfections, some of which are pretty awful.

But hers isn't a static journey- she's self aware and not happy with her state, and the whole story so far is about her trying to find a better way of being... Even if it's almost entirely failure. There are some really profound moments of connection with her friends and family.

So if seeing people behave poorly doesn't do it for the op, that's mostly what happens here, even if I wouldn't say that's what it's bottom line about... So :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

 

I'm not sure what to recommend. I love the show, but it is about a genuine flawed character that finds humor in all the wrinkles and imperfections, some of which are pretty awful.

But hers isn't a static journey- she's self aware and not happy with her state, and the whole story so far is about her trying to find a better way of being... Even if it's almost entirely failure. There are some really profound moments of connection with her friends and family.

So if seeing people behave poorly doesn't do it for the op, that's mostly what happens here, even if I wouldn't say that's what it's bottom line about... So :shrug:

Don't want to spoil season 2, but she does attempt to improve herself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prime show, but ### #### The Expanse is good. In season 3 now and already frantically googling when season 4 comes out.

Does it have it's own thread here? It's not GoT in terms of popularity and scale, but for hard sci-fi it's about as close as you can get on tv. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

Don't want to spoil season 2, but she does attempt to improve herself

Through 5 in s2... It's fantastic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Prime show, but ### #### The Expanse is good. In season 3 now and already frantically googling when season 4 comes out.

Does it have it's own thread here? It's not GoT in terms of popularity and scale, but for hard sci-fi it's about as close as you can get on tv. 

 

I watch Ep1 of this last night.  I was a bit lost, but it was pretty good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Prime show, but ### #### The Expanse is good. In season 3 now and already frantically googling when season 4 comes out.

Does it have it's own thread here? It's not GoT in terms of popularity and scale, but for hard sci-fi it's about as close as you can get on tv. 

 

Haven't seen the show yet, but the books it is based on are fantastic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I watch Ep1 of this last night.  I was a bit lost, but it was pretty good.  

It will be like that at first, turn on subtitles and go with it for the first season. They don't spell things out all at once, it's full immersion into essentially a living world with multiple grey area factions all doing the right thing from their POV, it will all make sense as it goes. They just throw you in with very little hand-holding or exposition at first, which you'll come to appreciate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Fleabag.  It makes me laugh and there's no other show on TV like it.  Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It will be like that at first, turn on subtitles and go with it for the first season. They don't spell things out all at once, it's full immersion into essentially a living world with multiple grey area factions all doing the right thing from their POV, it will all make sense as it goes. They just throw you in with very little hand-holding or exposition at first, which you'll come to appreciate. 

I wish more movies/series would do this.

George Lucas did a great job of this with the original trilogy...it had some hand holding, but definitely didn't go out of its way to explain everything either....then he started doing it with the second trilogy and it took a lot away.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

Don't want to spoil season 2, but she does attempt to improve herself

I binged season 2 yesterday (it’s only 3 hours). I thought it was excellent and much better than season 1. For much the reason you said - its a lot more interesting to watch her struggle with potential self improvement. I thought season 2 was great. And because it’s only 3 hours, makes season 1 worth watching.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Perfection" (Thriller/Horror) - Allison Williams (Get Out), seeks out the new star pupil of her former music educational school and mayhem ensues. 7.5/10 on Netflix

"Last Breath"  (Docu) - Deep sea diver is stranded on the bottom of the North Sea with only five minutes worth of oxygen 8.0/10 on Netflix

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

"The Perfection" (Thriller/Horror) - Allison Williams (Get Out), seeks out the new star pupil of her former music educational school and mayhem ensues. 7.5/10 on Netflix

Enjoyed this...it's a crazy journey :lol:

Edited by Bluto Blutarsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Historical roasts may be the most unfunny thing I’ve ever seen. No idea what they were thinking there. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 11:00 AM, Rattle and Hum said:

A most excellent recommendation. Thx!

:hifive:  Traitors was cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:47 AM, whoknew said:

I'm on season 1 episode 4. I'm having a hard time because the lead character is so incredibly unlikeable. And unlike Veep - which has terrible people throughout it that is just played for laughs - we are supposed to like her. And sympathize with her. 

I'm finding it awfully hard to do that.

Here's what I'll say about characters like this: most of us hide our pain. Most of us pretend we're happy when we aren't. The lead character in Fleabag is revealing the contempt that a lot of people are feeling under the surface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mirage - was okay.  It did dumb down the time travel continuum/conundrum to my level which was nice.  And did have the professor from Money Heist, but I found the story rather predictable. I say worth a watch, but I was not overwhelmed by any means.

Fleabag is simply fantastic.  I think I have a minor crush on the lead and her sister too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Fleabag is simply fantastic.  I think I have a minor crush on the lead and her sister too.  

the lead.. I can't tell if she's weirdly attractive, just weird, or just attractive. all three. :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slasher: Solstice. 8-part series (apparently, there were two other previous versions in this Slasher series, with Solstice being the third). Residents in a high-rise building start to get knocked off.  Has a Scream vibe to it.  Deaths are extremely graphic. Better than expected (granted the bar was set low but still).

The Principal. Takes place in Australia with a new Principal dealing with out of control students, when one of the students gets killed. A 4-part series so its easy to binge. Worth a look.

The Rain,  Season 2. End of the world scenario with a deadly virus in the rain (Danish series). Liked season 1 so back for number 2. Rasmus !

The Society.  Small town, adults are gone now the teens have to run things. Lord of the Flies meets teenage angst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brianj74 said:

Slasher: Solstice. 8-part series (apparently, there were two other previous versions in this Slasher series, with Solstice being the third). Residents in a high-rise building start to get knocked off.  Has a Scream vibe to it.  Deaths are extremely graphic. Better than expected (granted the bar was set low but still).

 

This seems up my alley - what service is this on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 10:24 AM, El Floppo said:

the lead.. I can't tell if she's weirdly attractive, just weird, or just attractive. all three. :wub:

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched American Honey. I found it enjoyable but disturbing at the same time. Parts of it reminded me of the movie Kids from the 90’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, guru_007 said:

Fleabag is simply fantastic. 

:yes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

I watched American Honey. I found it enjoyable but disturbing at the same time. Parts of it reminded me of the movie Kids from the 90’s. 

hearing Kids reminds me I saw mid90s, Jonah Hill's thing. not sure what to make of that one... some nostalgia, some unflinching looks at desperate kids, I guess decently done. didn't feel like I really came away with much more though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, Capella said:

Historical roasts may be the most unfunny thing I’ve ever seen. No idea what they were thinking there. 

The entire premise is baffling. Roasting someone dressed up as an historical character while that person "reacts" like the script tells them to is beyond dumb. Seems like an idea that some guys come up while high but should have been killed the moment they tried to make it into something real.

Like the joke that seems great in your head, but the moment you say it you know it's terrible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

hearing Kids reminds me I saw mid90s, Jonah Hill's thing. not sure what to make of that one... some nostalgia, some unflinching looks at desperate kids, I guess decently done. didn't feel like I really came away with much more though.

Saw that too. Didn’t really have an ending. (Partial Spoiler) Not sure why the driver was in the room at the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

I watched American Honey. I found it enjoyable but disturbing at the same time. Parts of it reminded me of the movie Kids from the 90’s. 

It’s not something I thought I’d ever hear myself say, but Shia Lebeouf was cast perfectly.  Pretty interesting concept as most of the actors used weren’t pros, and I dug the ‘wandering road’ aspect to it.  But it was a 2 hour move stretched to close to 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

The entire premise is baffling. Roasting someone dressed up as an historical character while that person "reacts" like the script tells them to is beyond dumb. Seems like an idea that some guys come up while high but should have been killed the moment they tried to make it into something real.

Like the joke that seems great in your head, but the moment you say it you know it's terrible.

I don’t know. It’s truly one of the dumbest concepts I’ve ever heard of. I find ross funny too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

hearing Kids reminds me I saw mid90s

Hearing Kids reminded me that I watched Gummo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.