What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (18 Viewers)

Movie night last night and we settled on "Young Sherlock Holmes". My boy likes Holmes because of the Guy Ritchie versions with Robert Downey Jr. This is from Spielberg in '85, as EP,  Chris Colmbus ("Home Alone") script, and Barry Levinson directing. It feels very much like a Spielberg flick with the obvious SS touches - script, music, pacing - and is more or less a rip off of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".  Not a really good flick either way with an instantly forgettable cast.
A slightly more kid friendly version of Indiana Jones, just not quite as good, tbh.

Wife and I ended up watching the whole season last night. Really good show, S3 was as good as or better than the first two IMO.  Such a sweet, funny, touching show.
It really is.  Just about every show has me laughing and either in tears or just about there.   A lot of the stuff for me that hit centered around Paige this season.  Usually a character that annoys me after a little bit, but there is some really funny stuff with her and also some gut punches - I believe the main one I am thinking about is the very end of Ep.4.  

ETA:  powered through all of S3 this weekend.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Movie night last night and we settled on "Young Sherlock Holmes". My boy likes Holmes because of the Guy Ritchie versions with Robert Downey Jr. This is from Spielberg in '85, as EP,  Chris Colmbus ("Home Alone") script, and Barry Levinson directing. It feels very much like a Spielberg flick with the obvious SS touches - script, music, pacing - and is more or less a rip off of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".  Not a really good flick either way with an instantly forgettable cast.
Been looking at that one...I think my kids would still like it (12&8).

For our movie night this week, we watched Edward Scissorhands- and it's exactly how I remember it. Visually fantastic- love the art direction and contrast of gothic vs suburban pastel monochromes. Otherwise, just a stupid stupid movie. Had forgotten how awful Winona's character was...even through the end- completely irredeemable. 12 floppinho figured out the entire story after the first two minutes- including the hair cutting.

Been looking at that one...I think my kids would still like it (12&8).

For our movie night this week, we watched Edward Scissorhands- and it's exactly how I remember it. Visually fantastic- love the art direction and contrast of gothic vs suburban pastel monochromes. Otherwise, just a stupid stupid movie. Had forgotten how awful Winona's character was...even through the end- completely irredeemable. 12 floppinho figured out the entire story after the first two minutes- including the hair cutting.
I think this describes the majority of Tim Burton's movies.  

"I'm Sorry" is a sitcom from TruTV of all places and S1 on Netflix now. It's pretty damn funny, too. Wife isn't prone to bursts of laughter but she was doing it here. Great, slightly raunchy (but with heart!) humor about a married couple with a kid in LA. Supporting cast of Judy Greer, Jason Moutonhanzankis , and others. 
Just started this.  Really like it.    I've always had a thing for Andrea Savage

Wife and I ended up watching the whole season last night. Really good show, S3 was as good as or better than the first two IMO.  Such a sweet, funny, touching show.
It really is.  Just about every show has me laughing and either in tears or just about there.   A lot of the stuff for me that hit centered around Paige this season.  Usually a character that annoys me after a little bit, but there is some really funny stuff with her and also some gut punches - I believe the main one I am thinking about is the very end of Ep.4.  

ETA:  powered through all of S3 this weekend
It's pretty great on all fronts. I binged to about ep 7 or 8, and I'm loving it. Two quibbles: it's getting a bit heavy on the melodrama as the season progresses after it's done a great job straddling humor and melodrama previously. maybe it's the bangs, and I know this bad form, but I find JJ Leigh's cosmetic surgery work genuinely distracting. 

Sad but true. Have some early favorites from him- peewee, beetelgiuse...but lots of crap after.

Oh...big Ed wood fan, and also might be the only person who really enjoyed Mars Attacks.
I liked stuff like Sweeny Todd and Big Fish as well, but it felt like more often than not he became the director for hire if you wanted to make a children's property weird and creepy - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, etc. 

Sad but true. Have some early favorites from him- peewee, beetelgiuse...but lots of crap after.

Oh...big Ed wood fan, and also might be the only person who really enjoyed Mars Attacks.
No, I liked Mars Attacks! but mostly because of the cast. Jim Brown + Tom Jones = Cinema Gold!

ETA:  powered through all of S3 this weekend.  
Yeah same here, both myself and wife.

Its funny, I read about the show in this thread a long time ago but was never motivated to check it out. It was over a year after I first heard anything about it before -out of desperation to find something my wife might like-we checked it out. I was really surprised it hooked me. Lot of heart in the show.

I liked Paige’s story line too, it seemed there was much more being juggled with the characters this season and I thought they did so deftly and thoughtfully.

Atypical Season 3 is out.    Michael Rappaport, Jennifer Jason Leigh..

This is a good show for all.

I liked Mars Attacks.  Could never decide if the Slim Whitman bit was a rip-off or an homage to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, tho.

No, I liked Mars Attacks! but mostly because of the cast. Jim Brown + Tom Jones = Cinema Gold!
The scene where the martians bust in on the Tom Jones performance...Jones look of resignation and inevitability killed me. Like he had been waiting for martians to attack during a show his entire career.

Didn’t realize The End of the ####### World season 2 was dropping.  I loved season 1 despite the subject matter. (About a teen boy who wants to murder his girlfriend.)

I tried searching (not my favorite thing on this forum) and came up empty.  Is there a “The Office” thread in the FFA or are there just comments in the Netflix thread? I thought it had it’s own thread, but I could not find it. 

I tried searching (not my favorite thing on this forum) and came up empty.  Is there a “The Office” thread in the FFA or are there just comments in the Netflix thread? I thought it had it’s own thread, but I could not find it. 
Found a couple on Office Space but nothing on The Office.

Could always start one

Juxtatarot said:
Didn’t realize The End of the ####### World season 2 was dropping.  I loved season 1 despite the subject matter. (About a teen boy who wants to murder his girlfriend.)
Half way through the season. I don’t want to go too fast through the episodes.  So perfectly weird and awesome.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
About to finish Unbelievable, based on a true story.  Riveting with some of the best acting I've seen from teh ladies.  Tony Collette is fabulous but she's not alone.  Terrific series. 
Watched this whole thing while I was in the hospital.  Very solid.  

I SERIOUSLY dont know why folks aint jumpin' in the aisles for Dolemite. The funniest man in the universe puts his whole heart & soul and still-estimable talents into bringing to life the exploits of his and his brother's childhood hero, nails it at every turn and everybody's all "the origin story was innerestin & Snipes was nice". THIS IS THE BEST TIME I'VE HAD IN FRONT OF A SMALL SCREEN AND THAT INCLUDES PRON!! It ain't mine to take really but i'll still have this black hero movie over 1000 phonyass Black Panthers. If QT had did this y'all'd still be scraping the thrillcrust off yourselves. What's WRONG with you people?!?! 
So, I watched Dolemite. I 2nd this 👍.

It was the most fun watch I've had since GoT ended.

When they began working at the abandoned hotel, I immediately thought of Oscar Wells' The Trial and Gare d'Orsay.

I will watch again.  

Season 2 of Castle Rock is just underway on Hulu. A few episodes into it now, it's more AHS from Fx than the previous season. It's also more aligned with the King universe than S1. It's kind of bat#### but still good creepy fun. Lizzie Caplan - from my beloved "Party Down" - does some good work with the character as written for Annie Wilks.

The Devil Next Door was pretty great. Documentary about a guy from Cleveland who was accused of being a Nazi death camp guard. I was too young to know about this when it happened but never really heard about the more recent events related to it either. 

Scoresman said:
The Devil Next Door was pretty great. Documentary about a guy from Cleveland who was accused of being a Nazi death camp guard. I was too young to know about this when it happened but never really heard about the more recent events related to it either. 
I lived in the area (or close enough to have it on the news every night). Looking forward to watching it, John Demjanjuk right?

Just watched The King, was good, enjoyed it. Story of King Henry V, his rise to power and the Battle of Angicourt.

I lived in the area (or close enough to have it on the news every night). Looking forward to watching it, John Demjanjuk right?

Just watched The King, was good, enjoyed it. Story of King Henry V, his rise to power and the Battle of Angicourt.
Yes, it's about Demjanjuk.  I'm still bothered after watching it.  Not only from the holocaust footage that is really, really hard to watch and on another level from what I've seen to date,  but also at what a sham the whole trial was.  I've never been disgusted by all three of the defense, prosecution, and judges until this one.  

You'll also be going back and forth from episode to episode if you go in relatively blind to the whole story.  In one you'll be sure he's Ivan the Terrible, then the next you'll think the opposite.  By the end you'll probably have a good idea who he was but I have conflicted feelings on both Demjanjuk and the holocaust survivors who testified at the trial.  

Just a fantastic documentary that will stick with you a while.

Top Boy...English urban drug series  (a la the Wire), accents are a tad thick but not totally impenetrable. 
season 3 is up on Netflix and it's a good start through 2 episodes

if you thought the English accents were a big thick.. this one features Jamaicans.   i went sans closed caption but think i need to go re-watch the first two with closed caption on.

We've been binging "The Great British Baking Show" seasons that we didn't see on PBS.  Currently on a season with an Asian woman that looks a bit like Sid the Sloth ("Ice Age") in Kabuki makeup.

We've been binging "The Great British Baking Show" seasons that we didn't see on PBS.  Currently on a season with an Asian woman that looks a bit like Sid the Sloth ("Ice Age") in Kabuki makeup.
That lady annoyed the crap out of me.  It's an entertaining season though.

Huge 👍 for Spy.  Sasha Baron Cohen is excellent - never seen him in a dramatic role like this but much like a Robin Williams talent he nails it.  First episode has me completely sucked in.

Just finished The Spy and damn that was good.  Crazy good actually.  Cohen is an incredible actor and the way he switches between the 2 characters should win him an award.  Not sure why he went back after being home and everyone knew he was walking into a death sentence. 
I saw a couple reviews here about this show that weren't good. 

We started this a couple days ago and I think it is utterly fantastic.  Cohen is ridiculously good in this and I love the writing and pacing of the show.  Fascinating show, 3 episodes in, can't wait to finish the last 3.  The end of episode 3, in particular, is depressing and hit harder than I would have expected. 

The Spy- Cohen is great as the lead but found the series a bit of a slog to get through.

Paradise Beach-  location: Thailand...plot: a bunch of robbers get together, some with old scores to settle. 90 minutes of enough action and scantily clad Asian women to make it worth a watch.

Lavender- ghost story type movie but found it slow/boring.

Delirium- stars Topher Grace...about a guy under house arrest in his parents old mansion and suspects it may be haunted.  Surprisingly decent thriller.

Rattlesnake-  women's daughter gets bite by a rattlesnake and is saved by a mysterious woman but at what cost ? A liked this ...enough twists and turns to hold your interest.

End of the World- great coming of age, dark comedy series. Each episode is 20 minutes long so easily binge-able.

Assimilate-  friends make a web series about their hometown and realize not everyone is what they seem. Invasion of the Body snatchers type remake. Worth a look.

I punted after Sue, Mel and Mary got the boot. Really really enjoyed the show up to that point though. 

American Son - the very delicate topic of racial injustice handled with the most asinine characters and dialogue.  A very large “oof” for this sad play for emotions

Sand said:
It's still pretty decent.  The dude in there is pretty dorky, though.  No idea how they decided he was a good fit.
Noel Fielding.  Dorky/off-the-wall is his shtick.  He has a bit part in the brilliant The IT Crowd which is also on Netflix.  

On a tangent from The IT Crowd, check out the "Big Fat Quiz of the Year" BBC shows on YouTube.  Fielding and Richard Ayoade are a regular team on those.

Atypical Season 3 is out.    Michael Rappaport, Jennifer Jason Leigh..

This is a good show for all.

S3 of atypical is out and fantastic (at least through ep3). JJLeigh might have had a little too much work done in the off-season...but otherwise, might be even better.sister is great- kinda reminds me of gilfoyle in silicone valley, but without the beard.
Love it. 

But Elsa looks like she had a stroke

Somehow I started in with the "Resurrection: Ertugrul" series. It's total Turkish state propaganda, the subtitles are atrocious, the pace is bad, much of the acting is laughable (like I find myself laughing at the performances and they're not intended as comedy), the characters are almost non-dimensional caricatures, the writing is both incredibly simplistic and improbable (even given that we know the title character can't die - at least until he fathers Osman -  if any sort of historical integrity is to be maintained), the action sequences are straight out of Xena Warrior Princess, and there are all other kinds of issues. Yet I keep watching it to see what happens next. :bag:
I'm like 65 episodes in and I haven't hit the end of the first season. There's about 400 more episodes to go including the remainder of this season and the next 4 seasons. I'm not kidding. I might not watch anything else ever again. And I don't know why.

Turkishballguys - for the initial run in Turkey, do they show 2 new episodes per week or something?

Klaus was....fine? Beautifully drawn, really gorgeous but the story was a bit scattered. I liked it fine but won’t become some kind of Christmas tradition here. 

Users who are viewing this thread