What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

Didn't read the whole thead, so sorry if this is allready been posted, Weeds season 1 and 2 are on the watch instantly part. I thought it was a awsome show, just waiting for season 3 now.

They just added some Kurosawa favorites to view instantly. Do yourself a favor and watch 'em all.

Seven Samurai

Rashomon

Ikiru

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

Hidden Fortress

High and Low

They also just added The Seventh Seal. So much stuff to watch!

"Oh I've been to Prague."

Just found out the good Kicking and Screaming is on Netflix instant. Not the Will Farrell but the Noah Baumbach one. DEFINITELY worth seeing. It's fantastic.

Just got Blue-Ray and was wondering what the opinion on netflix blue-ray service is like? I know its a $1-$3 more but do the movies get to you in a reasonable amount of time and new releases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the Roku player so much, I am buying another one for my living room tv. Canceling my cable today, and now I am definitely not as worried with the Roku. If they continue to carry MLB.tv station on it, I will be even happier.

I have been watching Survivorman, Season 3. I really wish they kept this show going.

Just got Blue-Ray and was wondering what the opinion on netflix blue-ray service is like? I know its a $1-$3 more but do the movies get to you in a reasonable amount of time and new releases?
The movies arrive in the same amount of time. Like most movies, new releases sometimes have a wait as the demand is high.I think the best way to use your Blu-Ray player is to use Netflix. There's an option in your account settings to have everything that's in your queue ship as Blu rather than standard DVD if it's available in the format.

For those considering Roku vs BR player with streaming capabilities...Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but the quality of streaming vs an actual disc is horrible. I had my LG BD370 hardwired to the internet for the netflix streaming and 1) the audio is only 2 channel and 2) the picture quality is somewhere between VCR and DVD.
For #1 - yep, that's the case for everything. Audio is inferior to even DVD.For #2 - I've seen some things that I believe would make an upscaled DVD look good like you suggest, mostly kids stuff. As a whole the quality is typically around upscaled DVD though. There are some HD selections that look better than DVD, but they are very few and far between except for TV series stuff. And even the HD stuff isn't nearly as good as Blu Rays, not only because of gimped audio, but picture quality just isn't nearly as good.Netflix streaming has its purpose, but anyone thinking this is going to replace Blu-Ray is misguided. It's just not going to happen.

The movies arrive in the same amount of time. Like most movies, new releases sometimes have a wait as the demand is high.I think the best way to use your Blu-Ray player is to use Netflix. There's an option in your account settings to have everything that's in your queue ship as Blu rather than standard DVD if it's available in the format.
I second this - Blu Ray service via mail has been great for me.

The netflix suggestion algorithm just recommended "Inside DeepThroat"

to me. Based on my liking the "King of Kong" documentary. Or based on me being a dude.

Bump. Anymore thoughts? I'm thinking of buying a Roku. Any thoughts on the DVD netflix compatible(?) players vs just buying the Roku? Can I have two shows going at once on different televisions if I have both? Not a lot of info on the Netflix site.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products

TIA
I haven't received my Insignia blue-ray player with wifi yet, but I'll keep you posted. Assuming it works I think it's well worth it to have one device that does both.
Forgot to update this... yeah, it works really well. Good stuff. :thumbup: So far I've been using "Watch Instantly" much more than the standard Netflix ship and watch method. Big fan. It's not Blue Ray quality, but I'm not using it for movies that really need it. Mostly catching up on the classics (Singin in the Rain), foreign films (Seven Samurai, Pan's Labyrinth), documentaries (King of Kong), introducing my son to the 80s (Ghostbusters, Karate Kid), and random stuff that sounds good when drunk (Desperado, old SNL).

DrJ said:
For those considering Roku vs BR player with streaming capabilities...Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but the quality of streaming vs an actual disc is horrible. I had my LG BD370 hardwired to the internet for the netflix streaming and 1) the audio is only 2 channel and 2) the picture quality is somewhere between VCR and DVD.
For #1 - yep, that's the case for everything. Audio is inferior to even DVD.For #2 - I've seen some things that I believe would make an upscaled DVD look good like you suggest, mostly kids stuff. As a whole the quality is typically around upscaled DVD though. There are some HD selections that look better than DVD, but they are very few and far between except for TV series stuff. And even the HD stuff isn't nearly as good as Blu Rays, not only because of gimped audio, but picture quality just isn't nearly as good.Netflix streaming has its purpose, but anyone thinking this is going to replace Blu-Ray is misguided. It's just not going to happen.
I think you guys need better internet connections. And before I read about how you have some uber connection like everybody allegedly has, I don't see what you're talking about.

Here are some more movies I added to my watch instantly queue:

Rocky

Seven Pounds

Donnie Brasco

Shawshank Redemption

Enter the Dragon

Pan's Labrynth

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Man v. Food: Season 2

Seven Samurai

Watched Daniel Tosh's stand up a couple of times now and Joe Rogan's stand up, both are worth a watch IMO.

Just finished King of Kong. Awesome. Thanks, this thread!
Same here - interested enough to continue to search on the what has happened since. I know they set the guy up as the villian - but it turns out that he continues to provide further evidence of his weasely-ness. Creepy dude.

Watched Daniel Tosh's stand up a couple of times now and Joe Rogan's stand up, both are worth a watch IMO.
Tosh is the funniest guy in the business in my opinion right now, guy is relentless with his shots at anything.
We just watching Mike Brbiglia's standup. Not the funniest thing I've ever seen, but definitely an enjoyable way to spend an hour. The guy's pretty likable, and the content is mostly PG-13 rated at worst if that's something you care about.

Been on a documentary tear this past week on the instant stream. Some notables are:

Food Inc - Great doc about how the food we eat is controlled and poisoned.

My Brothers Keeper - Wild doc about these four uneducated hillbilly brothers who live together in a one room shack. One is accused of killing the other, and the doc follows the brothers and the townspeople around.

Confessions of a SuperHero - Wild look at these nuts who like to dress up

Been on a documentary tear this past week on the instant stream. Some notables are:

My Brothers Keeper - Wild doc about these four uneducated hillbilly brothers who live together in a one room shack. One is accused of killing the other, and the doc follows the brothers and the townspeople around.

Food Inc and Confessions were both great. Really liked both. Will have to check out My Brothers Keeper, sounds very interesting.

I think you guys need better internet connections. And before I read about how you have some uber connection like everybody allegedly has, I don't see what you're talking about.
Keep Reading.....
Just watched Code in streaming HD. Picture quality was awesome. :lmao: Sound was still 2.1. :shrug:

My internet connection is just fine, I have 10+ mbps of dedicated bandwidth. Just ran a test, and like always it registered about 11.5 mbps down. And the stuff in HD does look good, just not great. There isn't the same crispness you get with a Blu-Ray. And unfortunately almost none of their movies are in HD at this point. SD stuff looks like upscaled DVD on the high end, with some of the selections looking downright terrible. Some of it they just sampled at a god awful bitrate. Whenever I watch HD I think my bitrate is in the 4-5 mbps range. I checked the bitrate for one of the Barneys my kid likes and I thought looked particularly horrible and it was like 1 mbps or less most of the time. You can't blame that on my internet connection, I can handle far more than that, it was coming through at a god awful bitrate because that's how they sampled it. Maybe you have a dinky TV or bad eyes.I like the service. I definitely use it and get enough out of it just watching TV stuff right now. But there's no way I could view this as a replacement for Blu-Rays.

Food Inc and Confessions were both great. Really liked both. Will have to check out My Brothers Keeper, sounds very interesting.
Manda Bala is a great documentary available as a watch instantly as well.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Filmmaker Chris Bell points the camera at his brothers and himself -- all of them users of steroids -- for this thought-provoking examination of sports, competition and the unyielding pressure to succeed. By exploring the reasons behind steroid use and its effects within his own family, Bell asks whether the winning-is-everything attitude that's so prevalent in American society has truly built a better athlete.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Filmmaker Chris Bell points the camera at his brothers and himself -- all of them users of steroids -- for this thought-provoking examination of sports, competition and the unyielding pressure to succeed. By exploring the reasons behind steroid use and its effects within his own family, Bell asks whether the winning-is-everything attitude that's so prevalent in American society has truly built a better athlete.
A lot of great stuff here, a must watch for any FBG.Lots of misconceptions out there.

Not sure if this was mentioned but I watched comedian John Pinnette's "I'm Starving" the other night, and laughed out loud for the entire hour.

Recently added to my Watch Instantly queue...

Big Fan

Sunshine Cleaning

Doubt

The Hebrew Hammer

Tyson

Louis CK: Chewed Up

Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic

Eddie Izzard: Dressed to Kill

The Life of David Gale

Missed it the first time around and caught it on netflix streaming recently. Good movie.

Also, :X .

This was one of my netflix suggestions and I really enjoyed it.

Ink

Late one night, a lost soul named Ink snatches 8-year-old Emma (Quinn Hunchar) into the world of dreams. There, he hopes to use her soul to join the ranks of the evil Incubi. In the real world, Emma lies comatose, to the despair of her father, John (Chris Kelly). But the Incubi's benevolent opposites -- the Storytellers -- rally to help Emma, motivating John to wage war for his daughter. Jessica Duffy co-stars in this dark fable.

If you liked movies like Transporter and Crank, you'll like the movie District B13.
Another one I watched upon FBG recommendation and liked. Description by Andy is accurate. Not an Oscar winner, but fun. Some cool chases/parkour stuff.

I just watched "Doug Stanhope: No Refunds". One of the best stand-up acts I've ever seen. Subversive humor that actually makes you think about things and funny as hell. :goodposting:

Manda Bala is a great documentary available as a watch instantly as well.
I'll definitely have to check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread