Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

On 2/6/2020 at 4:27 AM, El Floppo said:

Did you keep going with it?

We finished last night...it somehow got worse as it progresses. Some of the acting is terrible and  most of the writing is awful...although it could be editing. Things are happening and said that just don't work- from how they're resolving scenes to how and what characters are saying to eachother...stuff just doesn't make sense. It's weird, because there's definitely a budget in place, but from the writing and acting it feels extremely cheap. This is one that can be avoided.

Finished it last night as well.   It got really stupid, really fast.   Will not watch if there is a second season.

• Like 1

Anyone see Horse Girl yet? How was it?

On 2/6/2020 at 7:21 AM, El Floppo said:

Just saw that S3 of Babylon Berlin is coming in March...looking forward to both of those.

Nice.  Like that show a lot 

10 hours ago, Psychopav said:

Never heard of it until your post but sounds interesting...

A socially awkward woman with a fondness for arts and crafts, horses, and supernatural crime shows finds her increasingly lucid dreams trickling into her waking life.

3 episodes into lock and key....i like it....teenage kid likes it too.....RIYL stranger things  and umbrella academy.....its based on a graphic novel as well

• Like 1

Briarpatch  - Watched the first episode last night. I liked it and will definitely continue. Andy Greenwald is the show runner so I am definitely expecting it to be good. Its kind of like Fargo in Texas. Sort of. A murder mystery with a number of oddball characters. And a sexy as hell Rosario Dawson.

Supersize Me 2 (Amazon) is very good.  I'm a little biased though. I think I’ve liked everything Morgan Spurlock has even done including his TV series.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

3 episodes into lock and key....i like it....teenage kid likes it too.....RIYL stranger things  and umbrella academy.....its based on a graphic novel as well

12yo son just mentioned this one

A few episodes into Locke and Key and very good so far, but they definitely went Young Adult on it. The reviews I’ve seen haven’t been kind but the number #1 complaint appears to be its not 100% the comic and #2 complaint is they went Young Adult instead of hardcore horror. :shrug: Not being familiar with the source material, I am really liking it a lot to start.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:24 PM, The Dude said:

Locke and key hits tomorrow on N.  Stephen kings son wrote the comic

How does this show fit with the Stranger Things fans? My daughter 14 is a huge ST fan, is this another show I should recommend or is it much darker?

edit: seeing posts above that it might be aligned. Any other thoughts on recommending it to a 14yo Stranger Things superfan?

Edited by glvsav37

This McMillion$ series looks really good. Episode one was solid. 

incredible story how deep the fraud went.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

How does this show fit with the Stranger Things fans? My daughter 14 is a huge ST fan, is this another show I should recommend or is it much darker?

edit: seeing posts above that it might be aligned. Any other thoughts on recommending it to a 14yo Stranger Things superfan?

Only a couple of eps in but very much aligned so far. To start I’d even say less dark than Stranger Things and more fantasy oriented with some darker elements. There are some pretty adult theme’s in that the mother and children are dealing with the trauma of their dad being murdered (not a spoiler, it’s basically the whole setup to start what’s going on.)

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:28 PM, Psychopav said:

Gf and I liked it, didn’t love it.

if you can handle a non linear plot that is open to interpretation, where everything is not explained to the viewer than give it a shot. Have liked Alison Brie back to her Mad Men days and she is solid in this.

The less you know going in the better IMO

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Gf and I liked it, didn’t love it.

if you can handle a non linear plot that is open to interpretation, where everything is not explained to the viewer than give it a shot. Have liked Alison Brie back to her Mad Men days and she is solid in this.

The less you know going in the better IMO

Watched it last night and I agree. I've liked her since her Community days and she did a great job on this (as expected). 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, joffer said:

it's horrible people endlessly screwing each other over.  i'll finish season 1 but i can't see going further.

Jesus it just gets worse.  Totally predictable ending to season 1.  I’m out.

If you are looking for a comedy to binge, I recommend "I'm Sorry".  It's a TruTV series and the first two seasons are on Netflix.

It's worth it just to watch the scenes between Andrea Savage and Jason Mantzoukas (Rafi).

Example

• Like 3

The Stranger - Binged this over the weekend. I'm not familiar with the author but its apparently based on a Harlan Corbin book. Its not a super high end, amazing show. But its definitely good enough to watch. Its a mystery and there were a number of twists and turns and surprises. Overall, it was entertaining. I enjoyed it.

ETA: They actually wrap it up and explain everything by the end of the 8th episode. This was important to me, so wanted to let y'all know. Its not Lost or The Killing.

Edited by whoknew
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 6:33 AM, Buckna said:

Only a couple of eps in but very much aligned so far. To start I’d even say less dark than Stranger Things and more fantasy oriented with some darker elements. There are some pretty adult theme’s in that the mother and children are dealing with the trauma of their dad being murdered (not a spoiler, it’s basically the whole setup to start what’s going on.)

Binged the rest of Locke & Key yesterday, wife and I really enjoyed it. Final episode seemed anti-climactic at first but it had a great ending that sets up a season 2 well. Show is definitely less horror than Stranger Things and more mystery with fantasy elements for a younger crowd. Looking forward to future seasons, they really only scratched the surface on a lot of what they introduced.

1 hour ago, Buckna said:

Binged the rest of Locke & Key yesterday, wife and I really enjoyed it. Final episode seemed anti-climactic at first but it had a great ending that sets up a season 2 well. Show is definitely less horror than Stranger Things and more mystery with fantasy elements for a younger crowd. Looking forward to future seasons, they really only scratched the surface on a lot of what they introduced.

Watched the first episode and was pretty underwhelmed.  Exposition was a bit hackneyed.  Will stick with the next few episodes to see if it gets better.

And the blonde girl needs a refrigerator full of sammiches.  There is nothing to that girl.

17 minutes ago, Engelberg said:

Station?

USA

Edited by whoknew
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 4:34 PM, Juxtatarot said:

Supersize Me 2 (Amazon) is very good.  I'm a little biased though. I think I’ve liked everything Morgan Spurlock has even done including his TV series.

My wife's hand is in this movie!  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, Juxtatarot said:

Watched it last night. Found it a bit boring but a worthy message. 

14 minutes ago, Capella said:

Watched it last night. Found it a bit boring but a worthy message. 

How was Scoresman's wife's hand?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

38 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

My wife's hand is in this movie!  

My link

Watched the first 3 ep of Locke and Key last night.  I have no idea why.  Bailing now I'm sober, target audience is small children / young teens.

Bailed on Succession after the first season or so.  The same story every episode, over and over.

Looking forward to checking out Briarpatch.

I'm waiting on/savoring the final bojacks for when the mood is just right.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

#### off

They forced this catch phrase a bit...

I watched the first three episodes of Picard (new Star Trek).  It's rough seeing Picard so old but he pulls it off.  So far so good.  

I'm bias though, I grew up watching Star Trek with my dad so it will always be cool to me.  Not sure how it plays to a casual audience. 

Curious if anyone else is watching - sucks that I had to subscribe to CBS to get it (yes, another :censored: streaming service).

6 hours ago, Sneegor said:

Finally watching Peaky Blinders, in season 4.  Not too bad but season 3 was a downer.

Finished season 4 a few weeks back and gonna start 5 tonight.  I find myself losing momentum with it for some reason.  Watched the first 3 seasons within a 2 week span....

1 hour ago, Arizona Ron said:

I watched the first three episodes of Picard (new Star Trek).  It's rough seeing Picard so old but he pulls it off.  So far so good.  

I'm bias though, I grew up watching Star Trek with my dad so it will always be cool to me.  Not sure how it plays to a casual audience. 

Curious if anyone else is watching - sucks that I had to subscribe to CBS to get it (yes, another :censored: streaming service).

Really want to check it out but haven’t been able to bring myself to add yet another subscription.  Like you I grew up watching Star Trek with my dad (original and new gen) so the pull is strong.  

Glad to hear it’s good, you probably pushed me over the decision making edge. Thanks Ron.  Where can I send the subscription bill?  

If you like adult animation check out Love, Death & Robots on Netflix

A collection of animated short stories that span various genres including science fiction, fantasy, horror and comedy

watched a couple episodes (there are 18) and the animation quality is top notch

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

probably finish tomorrow, maybe late tonight

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

How many left? Pour some good red and settle in. 

Just now, Capella said:

How many left? Pour some good red and settle in. 

Haven't started yet. 

27 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Finished season 4 a few weeks back and gonna start 5 tonight.  I find myself losing momentum with it for some reason.  Watched the first 3 seasons within a 2 week span....

Same. Just finished season 4 today. Not in a hurry to start season 5. How many seasons are there?

Edited by Sneegor

4 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

Same. Just finished season 4 today. Not in a hurry to start season 5. How many seasons are there?

5 I think. I believe 6 is coming out this yr. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

I struggled getting thru s5. It started out fine then I found I had little interest in putting on episodes. I finished it, and will start season 6 when it comes out but it has a short leash. 

30 minutes ago, falguy said:
46 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

I struggled getting thru s5. It started out fine then I found I had little interest in putting on episodes. I finished it, and will start season 6 when it comes out but it has a short leash. 

I found this last season goofily and embarrassingly overwrought. Way too many slo-mo scenes of all of them walking down some dramatically lit alley with sunglasses or some #### and scowling. Like bad music videos.

But I'll watch Tom Hardy read a phonebook, so at least there was that.

• Like 1

Is Locke and Key ok for a 10 year old?

2 minutes ago, shuke said:

Is Locke and Key ok for a 10 year old?

In the first episode (all we've watched so far) was some pg13 teen hooking up at a party (no nudity, but explicit intent)...may have been drinking and drugs too. Some swearing. Ok imo for our 12yo, not our 8yo. Not sure where that leaves you.

• Thanks 1

S4 of "Better Call Saul" dropped. Wife and I enjoy the show immensely. It's been so long since we watched that we felt that we might have to watch a few episodes of the previous season to jog our memories.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arizona Ron said:

I'm at about the same spot, hes tough to handle but the rest is as entertaining as any trek

Vikings final season mid season finale - fantastic show. Really going to miss this one. 

Briairpatch first episode was intriguing, it tries a little too hard in some spots, but, good enough to keep us watching. 

Outsider, cant remember if this one was mentioned up thread., but, good enough that we will see it through.  

Cant wait for Fargo 4 Westworld 3 and BCS 4. 

Will end up watching TWD and TWD World Beyond. 

• Like 1

Making through the final Bojacks. Watched the penultimate episode last night — outstanding, and up there with the best of the series.

May watch the last one tonight (maybe after re-watching the penultimate again).

• Like 1