Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

8 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

Is it just me, or are the captions kind of botched in Narcos: Mexico 2? Sometimes during prolonged Spanish dialog the caption pacing is fine; they leave it up on screen to read, but then sometimes they  just flash a caption for a millisecond or sometimes seem like they don't caption parts. I can generally tell what's going on but seems like I miss some stuff. I don't remember having that issue on previous seasons. I do like this show though. 

I’ll go back and rewind and sometimes they’ll show up on the second go round.

• Like 1

Locke & Key was good.  Definitely a bit lighter and geared towards the kids a bit more but it DID cOme from a comic book and stayed pretty true to that framework.  Good show with a lot of elbow room to go different places. 

I'm a sucker for those classic haunted house and Victorian houses so it didn't take much to feel me in.

Edited by Shutout
  • Thanks 1

The Witcher news:

The Witcher season 2 cast has expanded again. Following initial claims that Kristofer Hivju could appear in the Netflix series, Redanian Intelligence now reports that the Game of Thrones actor – who played Tormund Giantsbane in the HBO shows – is a confirmed member of the season 2 cast.

The report says that Hivju will portray Nivellen, who appeared in Andrzej Sapkowski's short story “A Grain of Truth”. The alleged confirmation comes via a cast sheet and describes the character – codenamed “Nigel” by the production team – as a "charismatic, witty, and funny man" from an aristocratic family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shutout said:

Locke & Key was good.  Definitely a bit lighter and geared towards the kids a bit more but it DID cOme from a comic book and stayed pretty true to that framework.  Good show with a lot of elbow room to go different places. 

I'm a sucker for those classic haunted house and Victorian houses so it didn't take much to feel me in.

yeah this was really well done. Like that  I can watch things like this, stranger things and umbrella academy with my kids.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr. furley said:

yep. he was good in both roles. 

Been rewatching Peaky Blinders. Tom Hardy steals every scene he's in.  Season 3 is rough but this scene is as good as TV gets. NSFW language obviously.  :)

Alfie Solomons

• Like 1

If you have Spectrum they have an original series called Manhunt Deadly Games.  It is about Richard Jewell and the bombings of the Olympics and other places.  I thought it was well done and an easy binge.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, Don Quixote said:

Just because I need to give The History Channel credit when they actually air some history... the Washington miniseries is pretty dang good.

Watched the first night and DVR'd the rest.  Enjoyed the first part.

• Like 1

I found Ragnarok enjoyable enough, some bad dubbing aside. Main character’s face looks just like a He-Man action figure, too, but I zipped through the whole season in a day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, parrot said:

Been rewatching Peaky Blinders. Tom Hardy steals every scene he's in.  Season 3 is rough but this scene is as good as TV gets. NSFW language obviously.  :)

Alfie Solomons

Hardy is the best, no doubt.  Season 3 was great though

On 1/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, joffer said:

I liked Catastrophe better than Fleabag, but both very good.

I just finished Catastrophe, and watched Fleabag several months ago. I preferred Fleabag but you're right, they're both very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Hardy is the best, no doubt.  Season 3 was great though

It was good, but not on par with the first two seasons IMO

• Thinking 1

10 hours ago, parrot said:

It was good, but not on par with the first two seasons IMO

I thought Peaky just got better and better with every season.

Agree  Alfie  / Tom Hardy = incredibly good character.

I read it might be late 2020 or early 2021 when S6 comes out. :sad:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, LAUNCH said:

If you have Spectrum they have an original series called Manhunt Deadly Games.  It is about Richard Jewell and the bombings of the Olympics and other places.  I thought it was well done and an easy binge.

Watched part of an episode...I think that's the guy who does such an amazing job playing the giant serial killer from mindhunters?

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Watched part of an episode...I think that's the guy who does such an amazing job playing the giant serial killer from mindhunters?

that guy? Ed Gein

Finished the last season of Bojack Horseman. I don't think it was as good as previous seasons. Definitely not as many comedic notes in it. Also it felt like they were a bit too focused on tying up character arcs.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, Shutout said:

Good concept but some of the most questionable decision making I have seen in quite some time.  Even worse then "just don't feed them after midnight Billy"...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, facook said:

Better Call Saul is so danged good.

not sure how people made it out of season 1

that thing was a battle. such a slog from episode to episode and it showed no promise of getting better.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

that thing was a battle. such a slog from episode to episode and it showed no promise of getting better.

Huh.  Ok.

10 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Really? I loved it from Day One

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

yeah. i struggled through that first season and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that i couldn't go back for more.

felt like they caved to fan pressure to make the show but didn't have any idea what to do with it so it just sort of pointlessly plods forward in a death march to nowhere.

keep hearing that it's an amazing show but i couldn't continue.  gave it a good faith effort and watched season 1 thinking it would catch my interest because i love the character Saul from Breaking Bad. unfortunately he never materializes as such in Better Call Saul.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

dude ...:no:

Watched "Marvelous Mrs Maisel" and "The Boys" recently. 

Mrs Maisel is very well acted, especially the two main women(and Tony Shalhoub). The music is great but sometimes the music parts go on to long. It's pretty light which is a nice break from some of the heavy shows out there. It petered out a bit in season 3 but I was entertained, would recommend. 

The Boys was pretty meh. I didn't really like the characters, especially the main guy Hughie. I'm not sure if it was the actor or what but I just didn't like him from the get go. The story was very disjointed and the writing was cheesy. I did like the universe they created but didn't like what they did with it. Would not recommend. 

I love Saul, waiting to get in the right mindset to watch season 4, looking forward to it :popcorn: 

Edited by Kraft...

57 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

I just re-watched season 1. It was better then I remembered. Jimmy, Chuck, and Mike are all such great characters. I agree with the prior sentiment "so dang good".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

yeah. i struggled through that first season and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that i couldn't go back for more.

felt like they caved to fan pressure to make the show but didn't have any idea what to do with it so it just sort of pointlessly plods forward in a death march to nowhere.

keep hearing that it's an amazing show but i couldn't continue.  gave it a good faith effort and watched season 1 thinking it would catch my interest because i love the character Saul from Breaking Bad. unfortunately he never materializes as such in Better Call Saul.

The bolded seems odd to me, as I think they had a much better sense of direction with Saul  right off the bat than they did with Breaking Bad early on.

18 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

The bolded seems odd to me, as I think they had a much better sense of direction with Saul  right off the bat than they did with Breaking Bad early on.

they did have a whole realized sequel (i guess) of who he was going to become already built out from Breaking Bad to work with when they started BCS, i agree, but the transition from Slipppin' Jimmy (awful) to Saul shouldn't have taken 10+ hours of slow, slow, slow burn episodes, imo.

instead it was space blanket, bingo hall, slo-mo failure as he attempts to become a real lawyer. 

and i love the slow burn style movie.. or show.. perhaps just not 10 hours worth.

:shrug:

• Thinking 1

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I like it but have never got the "I love it" feeling from it...

I watch mainly for the Mike side story, which in my opinion would have been 10 times more interesting as the main story. :shrug:

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

they did have a whole realized sequel (i guess) of who he was going to become already built out from Breaking Bad to work with when they started BCS, i agree, but the transition from Slipppin' Jimmy (awful) to Saul shouldn't have taken 10+ hours of slow, slow, slow burn episodes, imo.

instead it was space blanket, bingo hall, slo-mo failure as he attempts to become a real lawyer. 

and i love the slow burn style movie.. or show.. perhaps just not 10 hours worth.

:shrug:

I'm with you Furley. I am a big fan of BB and especially Odenkirk's  portrait of Saul in the series. But the whole prelude to that character in BCS just seemed to be going in an aimless and monotonous direction. I think I gave up on it somewhere in the middle of S2.

• Like 1

The correct response is...

YOUR FACE IS A SLOG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belljr said:

The correct response is...

YOUR FACE IS A SLOG

that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in ages  :wub: 

I like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad.  :shrug:  The only problem I'm having with it is the long periods between seasons, since I'm old and I forget.  I did a power-watch of BB after the series had ended, so that was easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Watched "Marvelous Mrs Maisel" and "The Boys" recently. 

Mrs Maisel is very well acted, especially the two main women(and Tony Shalhoub). The music is great but sometimes the music parts go on to long. It's pretty light which is a nice break from some of the heavy shows out there. It petered out a bit in season 3 but I was entertained, would recommend. 

The Boys was pretty meh. I didn't really like the characters, especially the main guy Hughie. I'm not sure if it was the actor or what but I just didn't like him from the get go. The story was very disjointed and the writing was cheesy. I did like the universe they created but didn't like what they did with it. Would not recommend. 

I love Saul, waiting to get in the right mindset to watch season 4, looking forward to it :popcorn: 

Oh cheese, so wrong on the boys gb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Craig Ferguson's new series Hobo Fabulous on Amazon Prime is pretty good, very good if you happen to like Ferguson.

It's six half hour episodes combining standup and tour documentary material from a number of 2019 shows.

• Thanks 2

I'm gonna have to start Better Call Saul with all of the love it's getting here...will report back.

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad.  :shrug:  The only problem I'm having with it is the long periods between seasons, since I'm old and I forget.  I did a power-watch of BB after the series had ended, so that was easier.

I agree. This is me and every tv show now that takes 2 years for a new season. I saw the westworld season 3 trailer the other day and don’t even remember who half the people are. Sucks. It truly is better to wait for them to wrap up and just binge them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krista4 said:

Right there with you.  Luckily my wife has a steel trap when it comes to stuff that doesn't matter so she is able to remind me of plot points that I've forgotten as we get back into it.

• Like 1

My usual move is to read recaps of the last few episodes to get my bearings before a new season starts. 10 minutes and I’m reasonably ready and then once the season starts that usually fills in the gaps. 

• Like 1

Watched first episode of Hunters last night. I thought it was amazing. Can't wait to binge this one. Great acting with occasional action that almost seems comical. You'll never play chess or darts again without a flashback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The charm of Better Call Saul is that it is entirely ungreat. They may once have had tighter ambitions for it, but the writers fell in love with the brother & the gf and luxuriated in developing story arcs for them until they lost track of the timeline and why they were there. The writers' perfectly lovely, tho ridiculous, response to the misalignment was to make the show about time, the way Seth McFarlane made Family Guy about jokes - slowing them down til they were just extensions, seeing how far he could take them, even asking the audience how far they thought he could go.  Jimmy's suspension, the building of superlab, Kim's broken arm were all games played with time after they finally had to let go of the ultimate one - how long Chuck's influence/interference would keep Jimmy from becoming Saul. Yes, we are all living out the sentences of our lives, i'm in on the joke & can't wait for the penultimate Season of Saul to begin.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I backed up to s3e8 to get my footing for s4 of Saul. Getting old sucks.

3 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

My usual move is to read recaps of the last few episodes to get my bearings before a new season starts. 10 minutes and I’m reasonably ready and then once the season starts that usually fills in the gaps. 

Yesterday I read the plot synopses on Wikipedia for every episode.  Think it helped a lot!

On 2/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, boilerdave said:

I thought Peaky just got better and better with every season.

Agree  Alfie  / Tom Hardy = incredibly good character.

I read it might be late 2020 or early 2021 when S6 comes out. :sad:

Was kinda annoying that S5 ended with such a cliffhanger after binging through the series.

And, yeah, Alfie is great.

20 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Was kinda annoying that S5 ended with such a cliffhanger after binging through the series.

And, yeah, Alfie is great.

@boilerdave if you guys love Alfie/Tom Hardy ...check out Taboo.  Only one season and like Peaky ...it's best with subtitles.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:27 AM, El Floppo said:

Did you keep going with it?

We finished last night...it somehow got worse as it progresses. Some of the acting is terrible and  most of the writing is awful...although it could be editing. Things are happening and said that just don't work- from how they're resolving scenes to how and what characters are saying to eachother...stuff just doesn't make sense. It's weird, because there's definitely a budget in place, but from the writing and acting it feels extremely cheap. This is one that can be avoided.

Started fairly strong but yeah, disappointing in the end. 

I finished it last night, I do like most of the characters. But the writing was weak. It seemed like a lot of filler followed up by a rush to end it. 

I get that I'm a 40 something white guy, but these writers seemed more interested in going for a "most woke" award than actual substance. 

5 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Watched first episode of Hunters last night. I thought it was amazing. Can't wait to binge this one. Great acting with occasional action that almost seems comical. You'll never play chess or darts again without a flashback.

I think this is next up. Or I'll continue with Locke and key.

20 hours ago, krista4 said:

Interesting.. As I said I like BCS but, unlike BB which we've watched in it's entirety twice now, I can't see myself ever rewatching BCS. :shrug:

Just now, snogger said:

Interesting.. As I said I like BCS but, unlike BB which we've watched in it's entirety twice now, I can't see myself ever rewatching BCS. :shrug:

man ...I just rewatched BCS season 4 to prep for season 5 and enjoyed it almost as much as the first time.  

• Like 1

Anyone have a link to a summary of last season of better call Saul?  Totally forgot what happened.

Edited by PinkydaPimp

6 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

@boilerdave if you guys love Alfie/Tom Hardy ...check out Taboo.  Only one season and like Peaky ...it's best with subtitles.  

was that the one on FXX?  set in old England and involved sort of black magic (for lack of a better term).