What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

for whatever reason i could not get in to happy valley right away i should give it another go take that to the cheerio bank bromigos 

brun said:
All seasons of Narcos are great. 1st season still my favorite. 

If you watch Prime video. Hunters is interesting. Some good actors. Definitely a drama with some legit cultural commentary, but a couple episodes include some silliness that seemed out of place for me. I would recommend it. 
Can't stand the young kid in The Hunters. Hate him. And he's the main storyline. So that's a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started watching Hannibal on Prime last week.  Really enjoying it so far.  It takes some leaps with the logic for sure (Graham can somehow look at a crime scene and know impossible things) but I'm loving Mads Mikkelsen in the Lecter role.  Oh and Dr. Bloom 😍

Watched "Living with myself" over the weekend. Enjoyed it. I am a big Paul Rudd fan, he was twice as good as he usually is.

Can't stand the young kid in The Hunters. Hate him. And he's the main storyline. So that's a problem.
He does get a little less annoying as the series moves along. A diverse team. Someone for everyone to like.

Other than Roxy, i think they all look thinner on the chessboard. 

Started watching Hannibal on Prime last week.  Really enjoying it so far.  It takes some leaps with the logic for sure (Graham can somehow look at a crime scene and know impossible things) but I'm loving Mads Mikkelsen in the Lecter role.  Oh and Dr. Bloom 😍
I still cant believe that show was on network TV.  Pretty damn gory.  

I liked it, hoping for a season 2.
I recently binged Ragnarok on a plane trip, flight landed as last episode was about to start,  drove straight home at like 1 in the morning and watched the finale. So yea, kind of liked it.

Had some scenes in it I thought should have been on the cutting room floor, like some of the odd dancing stuff, but at it's heart it has what I generally like best about superhero type shows/movies which is basically normal or loser guy who has no superpower either gets it or starts to to understand he has it. It's why Spiderman was always one of my favorites.

I recently binged Ragnarok on a plane trip, flight landed as last episode was about to start,  drove straight home at like 1 in the morning and watched the finale. So yea, kind of liked it.

Had some scenes in it I thought should have been on the cutting room floor, like some of the odd dancing stuff, but at it's heart it has what I generally like best about superhero type shows/movies which is basically normal or loser guy who has no superpower either gets it or starts to to understand he has it. It's why Spiderman was always one of my favorites.
Yeah, some weird scenes but it was a fun low budget show. I watched it with my son and he liked it. I think we were both hoping for a little bit more of a battle, but again this was a very low budget show.

I will mention it again because my last post got no traction. I finished Messiah on my trip to the West Coast and back last week. I loved it, up there with my favorite shows on Netflix. It’s obviously got a lot of religious overtones but it was really good and I liked all of the characters.

Put me in the camp that has zero interest in the superhero genre...I wish it would all go away.
I'm right there with ya, GB.  Its especially tedious to constantly hear about it from fan boys in the 40's (my age).

I don't generally give people crap for their likes and interests.  To each his own.  I just can't fathom how there are so many people that are so into that stuff that they keep pumping it out, seemingly month after month.  It doesn't even move the needle for me.  

not sure how people made it out of season 1

that thing was a battle. such a slog from episode to episode and it showed no promise of getting better.
PREACH!

you're not alone here, brother.

sludge ... i liken the pace to sludge running uphill in a river of molasses. 

never bothered to even finish s1 - nothing grabbed me, nothing had me wanting more. 

i know it's a sacred cow up on this bored, but, #### it.  

oh, and McKean was a joke. 

:bye:

I will mention it again because my last post got no traction. I finished Messiah on my trip to the West Coast and back last week. I loved it, up there with my favorite shows on Netflix. It’s obviously got a lot of religious overtones but it was really good and I liked all of the characters.
Pretty sure it was discussed in here when it first dropped- iirc, all of us liked it...surprisingly and consistently good show beginning to end. The Messiah actor was fantastic

Yeah, some weird scenes but it was a fun low budget show. I watched it with my son and he liked it. I think we were both hoping for a little bit more of a battle, but again this was a very low budget show.
Yes low budget, it's actually why I chose to watch it on the plane. One of two reasons. I knew I"d be watching on my phone and figured I'd "waste" a low budget show on a small screen and last time I flew my airpods would not connect so I wanted a show I planned to watch with subtitles on.

But I'm actually not a huge fan of big action fights in superhero movies. Just seems so done. Hero struggles at first, eventually overcomes, etc, etc. I'm not a big superhero fan in general but when I do like them it's more the story behind their ascension to power, which is what I liked about this show. 

Narcos Mexico is actually a prequel to Narcos

ETA: At least I was thinking it was. Maybe I've confused myself???
They have Pablo Escobar scenes in Narcos Mexico so it overlaps a little.

If anyone enjoys reading and also likes the Narco's series I can't recommend enough a trilogy of books by Don Winslow.  The Power of the Dog,  The Cartel and The Border. It details a lot of the same stuff that Narcos Mexico does but gives more detail and to me makes watching Narcos Mexico even more enjoyable.

Pretty sure it was discussed in here when it first dropped- iirc, all of us liked it...surprisingly and consistently good show beginning to end. The Messiah actor was fantastic
I was one that watched it early and liked it a lot.  As a person with faith/long religious history I loved the religious overtones.  The "is he/isn't he?" aspect was especially intriguing, and what they did with some of his quotes of biblical material and even the way he interacted with people only added to it.  Really fun show for me.

I'm right there with ya, GB.  Its especially tedious to constantly hear about it from fan boys in the 40's (my age).

I don't generally give people crap for their likes and interests.  To each his own.  I just can't fathom how there are so many people that are so into that stuff that they keep pumping it out, seemingly month after month.  It doesn't even move the needle for me.  
I mean, I am not about to pick up comic books or anything, but IMO that subgenre has pushed out some of the better action movies of the last decade or so.  Superhero or not, there are some damn good stories in there to go with some decent action:  Winter Soldier, Spidey Homecoming, etc..     

Yes low budget, it's actually why I chose to watch it on the plane. One of two reasons. I knew I"d be watching on my phone and figured I'd "waste" a low budget show on a small screen and last time I flew my airpods would not connect so I wanted a show I planned to watch with subtitles on.

But I'm actually not a huge fan of big action fights in superhero movies. Just seems so done. Hero struggles at first, eventually overcomes, etc, etc. I'm not a big superhero fan in general but when I do like them it's more the story behind their ascension to power, which is what I liked about this show. 
I like both to be honest. Loved The Boys on Amazon but that’s a bit different. Depends on if I’m there for a campy fun movie or not. When it’s a show you want the story to be great and you need to enjoy the characters. I was just surprised that the end was just the two of them. Definitely wasn’t expecting the Avengers but I was actually thinking that maybe the new girl was somehow part of it as well. I figured that the low budget nature really drove the ending. Still enjoyed the show a lot for what it was. 

Surprised is a good word for it. I was legitimately surprised at how much I liked the characters and the story. I remember the early talk but it was so good I felt like I had to mention it. I was surprised until now that no one quoted me before.

One of the best Network television shows of all time just for the visuals alone - but the acting and the way the Hannibal stories are reworked is top notch.

To be fair, there's so much of this stuff put out that it feels like it's taking the place of other options.
I don't think there's some finite set of television shows and movies available to watch (well I guess literally there is but I don't think anyone can get to all of it). There's plenty of stuff that I don't like but the fact that it exists doesn't affect me.

One of the best Network television shows of all time just for the visuals alone - but the acting and the way the Hannibal stories are reworked is top notch.
So glad we got as much of Hannibal as we did.  It was one of those shows that didn't fit the network at all and was always talked about being cancelled before they finally did.   I think they only had one, maybe two, more seasons planned, so we got the bulk.    One of the strangest soundtracks to a show, also.  

One of the best broadcast network shows of the last 20 years. Loved it. So good. You're in for a treat as you work through season 1, this show does things I've never seen other shows even try.
So many awesome scenes in this show, and the visuals are so gorgeous.

I will never forget the therapy scene where he draws the clockface.  So utterly disarming and unsettling, I totally didn't see that coming and it freaked me out in the best way.

To be fair, there's so much of this stuff put out that it feels like it's taking the place of other options.
I don't think there's some finite set of television shows and movies available to watch (well I guess literally there is but I don't think anyone can get to all of it). There's plenty of stuff that I don't like but the fact that it exists doesn't affect me.
Not saying there isn't enough to watch. But when every network starts putting more and more time, money and energy into these kind of shows- yes, they're not putting it into other options, which become more limited.

but you could say that about any of the big show topics like jeez do we really need another lawyer show or jeez look another hospital show or jeez another crappy citcom about people who are scratching to get by i mean those all take resources too but just like superpower flicks those are all someones ox and we only complain when its ours that is getting gored me i just abide and live and let live and say hey brohan there you are take that to the bank brochachos 

Surprised is a good word for it. I was legitimately surprised at how much I liked the characters and the story. I remember the early talk but it was so good I felt like I had to mention it. I was surprised until now that no one quoted me before.
I must have missed your post. I watched it last week, and posted over the weekend how much I enjoyed it. Loved their portrayal of the main character. He acts the way you think a messiah would act, whether he is a messiah or not.

Not saying there isn't enough to watch. But when every network starts putting more and more time, money and energy into these kind of shows- yes, they're not putting it into other options, which become more limited.
I guess I just look at it like I don't enjoy Just Bieber's music but his existence doesn't make it tough for me to find music I like. It just seemed kind of smug of someone to wish a genre that many enjoy to go away just because he doesn't. I mean just because a Luke Cage show exists it doesn't mean Peaky Blinders goes away.

It is a slow evolution for sure, and I think what you are probably saying is you don't want the shows to go the way of mainstream movies.   We've had the discussion before about what the blockbusters of the 80s and 90s look like vs. this last decade.    It's not hard to think that show will go that way and what the networks want to throw the money and time into only known properties and reboots and forgo as much originality.  

Yeah, you can still find movies and shows that you want still, but I think it's incorrect if people don't think it's a little harder.  

I guess I just look at it like I don't enjoy Just Bieber's music but his existence doesn't make it tough for me to find music I like. It just seemed kind of smug of someone to wish a genre that many enjoy to go away just because he doesn't. I mean just because a Luke Cage show exists it doesn't mean Peaky Blinders goes away.
Its completely different, especially for movies.  If you have spotify what are the odds that you write down 50 albums you want to listen to that they won't be on that platform.  Now if you wrote down 50 movies from the last decade you'd want to see, what are the odds they are on NF?   If there is an indie/smaller movie you want to see this summer what are the odds you could ho to a theater to see it? 

TV hasn't quite gone down this road, but i dont think it's out of the question to think it starts to go that way.  Streaming services dont have unlimited budgets.  

Its completely different, especially for movies.  If you have spotify what are the odds that you write down 50 albums you want to listen to that they won't be on that platform.  Now if you wrote down 50 movies from the last decade you'd want to see, what are the odds they are on NF?   If there is an indie/smaller movie you want to see this summer what are the odds you could ho to a theater to see it? 

TV hasn't quite gone down this road, but i dont think it's out of the question to think it starts to go that way.  
That's a problem with so many streaming services splintering the distribution of movies/shows - it doesn't have anything to do with one particular genre taking over. 

Users who are viewing this thread