Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

Raising Dion is fantastic. Can't believe I'd never heard of it. The kids and I enjoyed much more than The Mandalorian. 

Just started Justified tonight with the wife - 3 episodes, we like it.

Watched The Amazing Jonathon doc last night - would recommend 3.5/5.

Gonna wait on my son to watch more Letterkenny - highly recommend 5/5.

7 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Raising Dion is fantastic. Can't believe I'd never heard of it. The kids and I enjoyed much more than The Mandalorian. 

I've never heard of it.  I assume it's some Disney thingy?

26 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:
8 hours ago, flapgreen said:

I've never heard of it.  I assume it's some Disney thingy

We watched an ep, thinking it might be good to watch with the kids.

We thought it wasn't, afterwards. Felt very low budget and poorly done across the board. But no harm giving it a shot for yourself- fwiw I got through more mandalorian than this (I did have higher expectations)

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

We watched an ep, thinking it might be good to watch with the kids.

We thought it wasn't, afterwards. Felt very low budget and poorly done across the board. But no harm giving it a shot for yourself- fwiw I got through more mandalorian than this (I did have higher expectations)

It takes a few episodes to get going. 

2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I've never heard of it.  I assume it's some Disney thingy?

Listed under the kid's section on Netflix. Worth watching a few episodes to see it take off. Very good 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Felt very low budget and poorly done across the board.

a Spike Lee joint?

🤔

On 3/14/2020 at 7:08 AM, El Floppo said:

Been watching Narcos Mex after the wife goes to sleep.

Feels like they've streamlined the writing somehow- can't put my finger on it, but seems a little less art and more straightforward...but not in a bad way. Makes for a fun easy watch.

you've put a finger on what i've been trying to sort in these last two seasons.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:26 AM, SWC said:

hinterland is pretty darn good as well basically i like bbc take that to the bank bromigos

Wait, WHAT?  Oh, you're talking about the BBC Network. Never mind...

On 2/26/2020 at 3:46 PM, nirad3 said:

Ugh.  I love this thread and hate it at the same time.  There is SO much out there right now.  So many services, so many shows.  

I loved Walking Dead up until a couple seasons ago.  I still have all of last half-season saved on DVR and have not watched the new stuff that just came out.  Should I?

I started The Expanse but can't find the time to pick it back up, especially with me wanting to try Hunters.

Main problem is I get home from work around 5pm and want to hang out with my kids a bit, and there's always either NCAA or NBA hoops on.  I prefer to just zone out and watch that.

So I'm behind on stuff I typically like (TWD) and can't seem to hang with the new stuff (Expanse, Witcher) or start something new (Hunters).

I also loved GoT.  So... question is... if you're a GoT / TWD fan, what would be your top 3 shows that would scratch the same itch (action, violence, uhh.. boobs?)?

Problem solved 😞

I'm a vampire guy, so October Faction should be something that I like but after 3 episodes I'm bailing.  Nothing about it is good.

20 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Watched The Amazing Jonathon doc last night - would recommend 3.5/5.

Gonna wait on my son to watch more Letterkenny - highly recommend 5/5.

Like many series, it -and especially Boyd, Raylon, and the hotties - find their groove in season 2.  Raylon's boss also becomes super fun.  Enjoy the ride.  Loved that show.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

My go to series if I can't find anything I'm interested in. 

7 minutes ago, Mile High said:

My go to series if I can't find anything I'm interested in. 

Is Justified on Netflix?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

Is Justified on Netflix?

I don't think so. I'm watching it on Hulu and I think it's still on Amazon Prime.

Edited to add: it's not on Amazon anymore. 

Edited by Mile High
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, SWC said:

for whatever reason i could not get in to happy valley right away i should give it another go take that to the cheerio bank bromigos 

Are we sharing the same Netflix account?

shetland - check

hinterland - double check

didn’t finish Happy Valley - check a roo

Did you watch Wallander? Hits all the boxes: murders, desolate but beautiful landscapes, middle age British cop (except this one is allegedly Swedish).

You can take that to the DCI Kenneth Brohanagh bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justified is great.  Season 1 is a little slow, IIRC there’s a lot of one off episodes in the middle but the end and following seasons more serial in nature

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

Universal Pictures is going to release their movies currently in theaters (The Invisible Man, The Hunt, Emma) for online rental for $20 on March 20th.

Nada con papa.  Yuck.

Posted (edited)

Damn, just popped in here but didn’t expect Justified talk since it’s been a while.  Just started watching tonight in the “I’m not going out for a while and should check out some ####” vein.  Glad to see posts on this very page about a show that’s gone!  I only watched two episodes and found it slow and disjointed, but good enough to stick with it.  Happy to hear it gets better.

Edited by krista4

45 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Damn, just popped in here but didn’t expect Justified talk since it’s been a while.  Just started watching tonight in the “I’m not going out for a while and should check out some ####” vein.  Glad to see posts on this very page about a show that’s gone!  I only watched two episodes and found it slow and disjointed, but good enough to stick with it.  Happy to hear it gets better.

Stick with it, otherwise you will never meet Constable Bob.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Wife and I started in on the Mandalorian, and splitting time between that and going through Supernatural.

A couple that are less popular that I'm watching to fill voids are Devs and Briarpatch. Ok enough to keep me interested until Fargo and Ozark start. 

15 hours ago, Kal El said:

Wife and I started in on the Mandalorian, and splitting time between that and going through Supernatural.

Oh man, you lose a bet or something? ;)

• Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

No, but it's quality time spent with the better half.

Rewatching Trailer Park Boys for some escapism.  What a masterpiece.  Forgot how ahead of its time it was.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kal El said:
12 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

No, but it's quality time spent with the better half.

Well, its time at least.

But I think KP and I are on an island thinking that show is worthless. The majority seem to think that it's supposed to be stupid and bad, so enjoy ...that.

Watched Bert Kreischer special on Netflix last night.

Never heard of the guy, just wanted to get a bit of humor for the night.  Mission accomplished. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Well, its time at least.

But I think KP and I are on an island thinking that show is worthless. The majority seem to think that it's supposed to be stupid and bad, so enjoy ...that.

Which one, the Mandalorian or Supernatural? They both have their flaws, but we usually only watch them right before we go to sleep, anyway.

12 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Which one, the Mandalorian or Supernatural? They both have their flaws, but we usually only watch them right before we go to sleep, anyway.

Mando.

Supernatural was fun in a CW kind of way (only saw a couple eps).

But at this point, anything will do.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Mando.

Supernatural was fun in a CW kind of way (only saw a couple eps).

But at this point, anything will do.

Very true, just need something to pass the time.

1 hour ago, Kal El said:

Just busting balls.  I thought Supernatural was more teen/YA and just giving you crap.  Hey - one of my faves of all time is Buffy. Wife and I (back in the day when we actually watched stuff together) we went through Veronica Mars and True Blood.    Like you guys said, WGAF - like what you like and use whatever distractions you want to take some stress off.  

• Like 1

I know a couple of you talked about 12 Monkeys, the TV show.  I watched the first episode last night and I am intrigued.  I can see where they did the usual reboot stuff - gender switches, younger actors, etc..  But there were also some changed that I could see being interesting.   For those of you who have watched it - without spoiling - do they basically just take the shell concept of the movie and then just ditch that for the show as they move past S1?

On 3/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, Yankee23Fan said:

Just finished season 1 of The Expanse on Prime. 

I think I like it? Not sure yet.

Watched 3-4 episodes and wasn't blown away so switched to The Boys and then Hunters.  Finished both of those, so thinking of jumping back to Expanse.

FWIW, I loved The Boys and liked Hunters.

Anyone watch (and like / plan on watching Season 2) Hunters?  I have some questions.  

Anyone watching DAVE? It's currently airing, on either fx or fxx, but those shows are all on hulu the next day so for the purposes of this thread it's a hulu show. 

The first three episodes are hilarious. Very strong Atlanta/Louie vibe. 

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I know a couple of you talked about 12 Monkeys, the TV show.  I watched the first episode last night and I am intrigued.  I can see where they did the usual reboot stuff - gender switches, younger actors, etc..  But there were also some changed that I could see being interesting.   For those of you who have watched it - without spoiling - do they basically just take the shell concept of the movie and then just ditch that for the show as they move past S1?

As far as I understand (I've somehow never seen the movie, need to change that), most of season 1 is their own take on a lot of the movie stuff. But beyond that (and it gets better and better, this is not a diminishing returns thing) it expands and does its own thing I think. As a standalone TV show, which is the only way I can recommend it having not seen the movie, it's extremely good. One of the best sci-fi shows ever imo, it's wild that an iffy channel like SyFy had both this and The Expanse running at once. And the rare show that doesn't just fall into dumber and dumber sci-fi/time travel plot holes as it goes. It all connects back together and makes sense in the end in a satisfying way, and ends well. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Anyone watching DAVE? It's currently airing, on either fx or fxx, but those shows are all on hulu the next day so for the purposes of this thread it's a hulu show. 

The first three episodes are hilarious. Very strong Atlanta/Louie vibe. 

Watched the first episode and thought it was hilarious, though it was not my wife's cup of tea.  Will watch the rest myself I believe.

My 18 year old said it was psuedo autobiographical as his rapper character is a "real" rapper.  I found that shocking, though explained why he did do a good job in those scenes.

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

As far as I understand (I've somehow never seen the movie, need to change that), most of season 1 is their own take on a lot of the movie stuff. But beyond that (and it gets better and better, this is not a diminishing returns thing) it expands and does its own thing I think. As a standalone TV show, which is the only way I can recommend it having not seen the movie, it's extremely good. One of the best sci-fi shows ever imo, it's wild that an iffy channel like SyFy had both this and The Expanse running at once. And the rare show that doesn't just fall into dumber and dumber sci-fi/time travel plot holes as it goes. It all connects back together and makes sense in the end in a satisfying way, and ends well. 

Which streaming service?

2 minutes ago, Zow said:

Which streaming service?

Been a while since I watched it, but that was on Hulu at the time

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Been a while since I watched it, but that was on Hulu at the time

Correct- it's on Hulu 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, guru_007 said:

Watched Bert Kreischer special on Netflix last night.

Never heard of the guy, just wanted to get a bit of humor for the night.  Mission accomplished. 

his bit about The Machine did make me laugh

Edited by mr. furley
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I remember now you said something similar before, and that's some high praise.   I've been pimping The Expanse, so I will hop on this now.  Thanks for the reply.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I remember now you said something similar before, and that's some high praise.   I've been pimping The Expanse, so I will hop on this now.  Thanks for the reply.  

Love The Expanse. Still have to watch the new Prime season that came out already, but it's because I want to do a full rewatch and haven't had the time.

12 Monkeys doesn't have that type of budget, and starts slower but is worth sticking with until the crazy stuff starts happening. 

Season 1 did not have the critical reception that later seasons got, it took a while for it all to start coming together into great sci-fi that was recognized even by critics as a definite future cult classic. I'm guessing being so closely related to the movie probably hurt the first season, until it established more of its own identity. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Watched the first episode and thought it was hilarious, though it was not my wife's cup of tea.  Will watch the rest myself I believe.

My 18 year old said it was psuedo autobiographical as his rapper character is a "real" rapper.  I found that shocking, though explained why he did do a good job in those scenes.

It’s definitely autobiographical. He’s not my cup of tea but that guy is an incredibly talented rapper. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Watched 3-4 episodes and wasn't blown away so switched to The Boys and then Hunters.  Finished both of those, so thinking of jumping back to Expanse.

FWIW, I loved The Boys and liked Hunters.

Anyone watch (and like / plan on watching Season 2) Hunters?  I have some questions.  

I liked Hunters.  The Boys, I enjoyed the universe but didn't love it. Will watch both if/when they come back.

Meanwhile I'm halfway through season 4 of the Expanse. The only character I really like is the, now, UN President. She's hysterical. Still not sure if I enjoy this show or not though which is weird.

Edited by Yankee23Fan

Any thoughts on the Valhalla Murders yet?

Posted (edited)

Watched a couple decent movies today on Netflix :popcorn:

The Watcher  - Kenau Reaves in a Dark role with Marisa Tormei & James Spader .. Decent Cat & mouse Crime movie  from 20 years ago.

Standoff - Lauence Fishburne in a dark role.. Kept my attention throughout although I was left wondering .. Where the bleep was the Sheriff"??? You'll know what I mean if you watch it.

Edited by snogger
  • Like 2

Black Monday on showtime...  I'm all in. Don Cheadle is awesome.

Dave on FX lil dicky "faux bio" :lmao: