What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (6 Viewers)

We're going to watch Onward today...looking forward to it.

Yeah, the $20 seems hefty...but we'd be seeing it in the theaters at just under $20 per person anyways

belljr said:
All current in theater movies are that much
I get what they are trying to do, but Joe American is bad at math.  

I think more are in the "screw that, it will be streaming soon" and less are in "good deal, it would cost my family $50 to see it in the theater" camp.  

ConnSKINS26 said:
Now imagine a family of 4 or 6 getting to watch it for that same $20
Being just the 2 of us and my wife rarely sitting in front of the tv for a whole movie this didn't occur to me. As a family activity in these times I guess $20 isn't bad.

Being just the 2 of us and my wife rarely sitting in front of the tv for a whole movie this didn't occur to me. As a family activity in these times I guess $20 isn't bad.
I was thinking about it, and cant think of much I would do this for with the family.  Maybe something like Star Wars, but 0 chance they do it with something like that, they are just moving the huge releases until later in the year.  I think for stuff like Invisible Man, they were doing it to try to recoup losses of movies thst were in the theaters when this stuff started happening.

tamales said:
Streamed Invisible Man On Demand and I have to say it was one of the better movies I've seen in a really long time. 
we watched this last night. not bad. better than i went in expecting.

No way, we just didn't like it.  

Really not enough on there to justify keeping it for us.  
Gotcha, saw the "bailing on mando" part you quoted and thought it was Disney who had. I am shocked that another Star Wars thing was bad. The day after Jedi was release, George Lucas should have walked off into the sun. 

Gotcha, saw the "bailing on mando" part you quoted and thought it was Disney who had. I am shocked that another Star Wars thing was bad. The day after Jedi was release, George Lucas should have walked off into the sun. 
Nah was joking with Floppo.  

To be clear with the bolded, he and I seem to be in a clear minority that didn't like it.  

Invisible Man? Might have, we go once or twice a month usually. $20 for two people still isn't bad but yeah it seems like the type of movie a lot of people will just wait until it's streaming. 
For sure it's a good deal if that's something that you would do anyway.  

I think they have toyed with a similar mode for movies in the theater,  and I just don't see how it would work. I think once you get to the point that it's the same as a month or two of NF, I think people will balk at that - again, probably not taking the time to do the math and realizing that a family might be dropping $50+ easily when they go out.  

MAYBE so of that mindset will change as more and more services pop up, fracture, and fight over the rights for shows and movies.   It's already a crapshoot if a movie you want to see will eventually be on a service that you have.   These streaming services really are geared towards shows and their own content. 

Nah was joking with Floppo.  

To be clear with the bolded, he and I seem to be in a clear minority that didn't like it.  
My kids liked it more than me. For me it was decent enough but if it weren’t for the stay at home, I would have cancelled. We watch Netflix way more and Prime and HBO Go are free for me. I got Apple TV for free for a year too. Disney and Apple would be first to go.

My kids liked it more than me. For me it was decent enough but if it weren’t for the stay at home, I would have cancelled. We watch Netflix way more and Prime and HBO Go are free for me. I got Apple TV for free for a year too. Disney and Apple would be first to go.
I will admit that some of it is me filtering my preferences and trying to steer her towards stuff that I can tolerate watching too.   Disney stuff has always grated on me a bit.  For us currently nothing beats the NF options of:  Ask the Storybots, Chip and Potato, Llama Llama, Ollie and Moon, and PJ Masks.   Hulu has Doc McStuffins and Curious George if we need something different.  

For those with young kids, our weird family can't get enough of Ask the Storybots on NF.   IMO one of the better shows that I have watched with either kid at a young age.  Just a little weird, but love that they actually talk science and have guest that the parents will laugh at like Snoop Dogg and Keven Smith.   Premise is kids ask questions (why is the sky blue, how to cell phones work, etc.. ) and bots go out into the world to find the answer.  

We're watching S2 of the CBS Star trek series. 2 in and it's quite good. Like the cast a lot (outside of the "funny" young red head) and feel like it hits the highs of previous star treks in terms of writing, characters, action, plot- per ep, and season arc.

I will admit that some of it is me filtering my preferences and trying to steer her towards stuff that I can tolerate watching too.   Disney stuff has always grated on me a bit.  For us currently nothing beats the NF options of:  Ask the Storybots, Chip and Potato, Llama Llama, Ollie and Moon, and PJ Masks.   Hulu has Doc McStuffins and Curious George if we need something different.  

For those with young kids, our weird family can't get enough of Ask the Storybots on NF.   IMO one of the better shows that I have watched with either kid at a young age.  Just a little weird, but love that they actually talk science and have guest that the parents will laugh at like Snoop Dogg and Keven Smith.   Premise is kids ask questions (why is the sky blue, how to cell phones work, etc.. ) and bots go out into the world to find the answer.  
Storybots sounds great.

Maybe similar from when my oldest was just a bit younger (12 now)...If yo Gabba Gabba exists in the netz somewhere, I highly advise you seek it out. As a music guy- Jack's Big Music Show was also great. 

Streamed Invisible Man for free on my firestick and wanted a refund of some sort when it was over. Terrible movie IMO.
I thought Invisible Man was a decent movie.  Very entertaining.

But when you're done watching and start thinking about it, there were many different things that could be rightfully criticized.

We watched Spenser Confidential on Netflix last night and enjoyed it.  It's your typical cop action/comedy movie....think a weaker version of Lethal Weapon or Last Boy Scout. 

And it looks like there will be additional "Spenser" movies on Netflix in the future.

We watched Spenser Confidential on Netflix last night and enjoyed it.  It's your typical cop action/comedy movie....think a weaker version of Lethal Weapon or Last Boy Scout. 

And it looks like there will be additional "Spenser" movies on Netflix in the future.
A weaker Last Boy Scout? Oh boy.

I would put it in the Spencer for hire category 🙂

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0088612/
I commented earlier in this thread.  The series of novels this show (and the old Bob Ulrich series) are based on are excellent.  Quick, fun, smart, PI mysteries.  Could and SHOULD be a series right up there with some of the best tv of the last several years.  Instead....this.  Ugh.

I commented earlier in this thread.  The series of novels this show (and the old Bob Ulrich series) are based on are excellent.  Quick, fun, smart, PI mysteries.  Could and SHOULD be a series right up there with some of the best tv of the last several years.  Instead....this.  Ugh.
I actually have a few of the Robert Parker paperbacks laying around that I read years ago.

Not sure if I would envision Wahlberg in the role. For some reason, I thought Spenser would be older.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
We went a few more episodes into "Tiger King" last night. As a documentary, this does feel like it is very Errol Morris in how it's constructing the narrative and playing with the audience. I'm not sure that bothers me but it's an interesting choice.

Speaking of homages, we watched "Super 8" last night. I saw it a few years back, forgot most of it, and felt like it was high quality enough to revisit. It still holds up as a very good early film for JJ Abrams. He's such a confident and steady hand with storytelling - written and visual here - that it's a delight still. That said, early criticism of him as someone that tends to imitate rather than innovate is on full display here.  He's doing Speilberg - somewhere between CEoTK and ET - here while also throwing some love to Speilberg-y directors like Zemekis and Dante too. 

Just heard Kim's Convenience season 4 is up Wed 4/1.   :thumbup:

Definitely the right kind of really funny (but also feel-good) comedy to watch with the family right now.  Episodes are only ~20 min each, so easy to try out if you haven't yet. I think it's pretty underrated. 

I just finished watching the second episode of Season 2 of Kidding starting Jim Carrey. I'm debating about watching the remaining episodes. Should I continue on with the rest of the season?

I know alot of people are digging hunters on amazon.  Cant put my finger on it but it's just not for me.  Got like 4 episodes in and gave up.  Kinda weird cause I usually love everything ww2 but just something about the pace, story, characters in this show just didnt do it for me.  

I thought Invisible Man was a decent movie.  Very entertaining.

But when you're done watching and start thinking about it, there were many different things that could be rightfully criticized.
I thought Invisible man was good. My only major problem is I still see Emoss as Peggy. 

I used to read Robert Parker “Spenser” novels as a kid. They’re like 50 of them. Plenty of sequel opportunities. 

ETA: saw this has been covered. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished The Sinner season two. Pretty good follow up to season one. 

Both seasons do an absolutely wonderful job building up the suspense in the first few episodes. Both somewhat flail about at the end but it’s gotta be difficult carrying it through. 

Users who are viewing this thread