What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

mr fancypants said:
Also there's Damon Herriman, who had me in stitches with his portrayal of dimwitted Dewey Crowe.  He later depicted the part of Charles Manson in both S2 of Mindhunter and Quentin Tarantino's "Once upon a time in Hollywood".
Not to mention Natalie Zea. Wow.

El Floppo said:
I gave up after a few, thinking it was another middling serial cop show.

I'll try to give it another shot.

krista4 said:
You guys are making me think I need to give Justified another shot.  I only made it 4-5 episodes and was bored.  Sounds like I should have stuck it out longer.
slap it low?

watched Have a Bad Trip- adventure in psychedelics, on netflix. funny people telling stories is always ok at worst. and sting. not exactly a lot to this more than that. did make me want to take mushrooms again. 

floppinho (12yo) just finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring, so we watched the movie. funny- it had been a decade at least between my reading the books and seeing the movies when they first came out... I recall watching and loving how accurate Jackson got the overall vibe and visuals I had stored away in my head and heart from the books. having just finished the book, floppinho was caught up in the details of differences between the two rather than the overall. he liked it, but not as much as I did.

Just heard Kim's Convenience season 4 is up Wed 4/1.   :thumbup:

Definitely the right kind of really funny (but also feel-good) comedy to watch with the family right now.  Episodes are only ~20 min each, so easy to try out if you haven't yet. I think it's pretty underrated. 
Just started watching this and we really like it.  The dad is my favorite character. 

Dan Lambskin said:
Yeah season 1 kinda goes into an episode of the week format for a good portion and then wraps up with a good arc

future seasons are much more focused on a season long plot

i would power through season 1, overall it ends up being a really great show
And the wait for it to hit it's stride isn't really that long. Season 2 is absolutely outstanding. Anybody that appreciates good TV needs some Mags Bennett in their life.

I think Justified slots in strongly in that tier just below the absolute all-time great TV dramas. I liked it quite a bit more than it's FX brethren, The Americans and SOA, and as much as Fargo.

And the wait for it to hit it's stride isn't really that long. Season 2 is absolutely outstanding. Anybody that appreciates good TV needs some Mags Bennett in their life.

I think Justified slots in strongly in that tier just below the absolute all-time great TV dramas. I liked it quite a bit more than it's FX brethren, The Americans and SOA, and as much as Fargo.
I have watched this series twice through.  It is one of the most consistent TV shows I have ever watched.

Nothing specifically stands out as all time great for me  but everything else stays at the level of "excellent" being the acting, direction, production and writing for the entire series. 

Even some great shows like GOT and Sopranos, which had arguably much higher highs, never stayed any where near as consistent in quality as Justified.

I agree with the others, make it through season 2 before you give up on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
floppinho (12yo) just finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring, so we watched the movie. funny- it had been a decade at least between my reading the books and seeing the movies when they first came out... I recall watching and loving how accurate Jackson got the overall vibe and visuals I had stored away in my head and heart from the books. having just finished the book, floppinho was caught up in the details of differences between the two rather than the overall. he liked it, but not as much as I did.
My daughter and I are in the middle of marathoning all 6 extended editions (the only editions IMO) movies in the LOTR/Hobbit series.  We still are enjoying them as much as in previous viewings.

Another  :thumbup:  for Dead To Me.

Great show and the 35 minute episodes fly by. They also do a great job with the endings for each episode....makes you want to watch "just one more".

Dead to me season 2 has lost me after 2 episodes. Perfect example of show that doesn’t even happen if anyone, ANYONE at all tells the truth. And twins?  GTFO. 

Yeah lost me to with the twins nonsense. 

Dead to Me 2 - Enjoyed.  yes the twins thing was poor, but Applegate and Cardellini are fantstic.  Both be crazy as hell and I'm loving it.  

Upload - Enjopyed this one too.  All the characters worked for me, and the interaction between the living and the VR was great.

Just started watching it.  Loved the pilot.  A few days later loaded up episode 2 not realizing I selected Season 2.  Was lost the entire episode.  Definite fail on my part. Anyways, enjoying the first season thus far even with the spoilers.  Great chemistry between two of my childhood crushes.  
Mark me down as another fan of Dead to Me.  Yes, it is a bit contrived at times, but the acting by Applegate and Cardellini is tremendous.  And even in her 40's, Cardellini is still :wub:

That too!

The bottom of the rankings, btw, are heavily populated by Season 5 eps, when the show spent a lot of time on either the adventures in Dorne or with the High Sparrow's increasing power.
Probably a few Reek-heavy episodes near the bottom too.  

I need to look at this list.  

watched Have a Bad Trip- adventure in psychedelics, on netflix. funny people telling stories is always ok at worst. and sting. not exactly a lot to this more than that. did make me want to take mushrooms again. 
This was decent. Ben Stiller obviously didn't have a good trip his one time doing it. Liked how they are experimenting it to see if it helps certain illnesses

History Channel's miniseries on Grant starts tonight: 9 EST

Based on Ron Chernow’s critically acclaimed 2017 biography of the same name, it’s a stirring tribute to an individual who embodied America’s finest ideals: hard work, determination, courage, resolve, and belief in democracy and equality for all, no matter the color of their skin.

Based on Ron Chernow’s critically acclaimed 2017 biography of the same name, it’s a stirring tribute to an individual who embodied America’s finest ideals: hard work, determination, courage, resolve, and belief in democracy and equality for all, no matter the color of their skin.
And booze.

Uncut Gems was a visual cluster#### at a frenetic pace.  I was glued.

I get why Sandler had Oscar discussion but no nomination, you feel like you need a shower after watching.

I get why Sandler had Oscar discussion but no nomination, you feel like you need a shower after watching.
Also thought that Sandler was great. However, after about 30 minutes I grew tired of the chaotic feel and turned it off. I may try it again and maybe I'll feel inclined to watch the whole thing. 

Had a blast watching that one in the theatre. 

Watched Django again last night. Love it, but the ending could use some editing. Went a bit long, maybe because I’ve already seen it twice. 

How bored am I? The Ringer published its ranking of all 73 Game of Thrones episodes a few days ago and I'm watching an episode a day, starting from the bottom of the list and working up.
Just watch it in reverse, probably about the same and you should get happier as it goes along. 

Anyone watch Locke and Key on Netflix? Through 2 episodes. The kids aren’t great actors, but the premise of the show is interesting. It could definitely go in all sorts of directions.

Good Lord, please stop airing these miniseries with 60% commercials.  Last night's episode could have been aired in 50 minutes.  Won't sit through tonight... I'll record and skip commercials.

finished White Lines, and it legit sucks.

horrible dialogue. brutal acting. it's an ibiza party/drug/murder series for women.

GroveDiesel said:
Anyone watch Locke and Key on Netflix? Through 2 episodes. The kids aren’t great actors, but the premise of the show is interesting. It could definitely go in all sorts of directions.
My boys and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next season.

I’ll watch this. Thought the Washington one was fine, even if it was distracting how little the actor looked like Washington. 

Anybody watch the premiere of Barkskins last night? I loved the book, but curious how it will translate. I’ll probably give a watch at some point.

Over the last couple of months, I watched the entire run of Star Trek, The Next Generation, completing the task over the weekend. The original series is a top 5 all time show for me, and I remember being excited and then eventually disappointed when The Next Generation originally aired, and gave up on it after three or four episodes. So I revisited as I'd often heard it got better as the seasons progressed. I'd say that's an accurate assessment, but I can't say that I think it was a great show. I'm not sure it was even a good show overall, though there were some standout episodes. It definitely wasn't better than the original series, Spock's Brain and space hippies not withstanding.  At heart, I just don't think the writing was in the ballpark of the original series quality wise.

Patrick Stewart and LeVar Burton turned in really good acting performances. Brent Spiner was great when he was playing nominal Data, o.k. as Dr. Soong and Lore, and pretty bad playing anything else. The rest of the main cast wasn't so hot acting wise, painfully bad in the early seasons, to the point of distraction. I say this fully granting Shatner's hamming it up in the original.

Years back I kept running into the sentiment about how great Deep Space 9 was, also not having watching it during it's original run due to my ambivalence about the Next Generation. I ended up watching all of DS9 as a result, and thought it was a pretty good series (not without its own flaws), but didn't get the love for it some were exhibiting at the time. After watching TNG, I think I get it - compared to TNG, DS9 was a marked improvement.

I also started and quit Voyager when it came out, finding it to be even worse than TNG in just about all ways. I bailed on it prior to Seven of 9 being introduced, so I probably missed the main attraction there. I'm contemplating taking in Voyager next, but I started up the initial episode last night and am really struggling with motivation to stick with it. I'm tempted to just rewatch DS9 instead and skip ahead to Enterprise (which I also watch an episode or two of and then quit when it came out).

Any Trekkers here to recommend a continue/abort with Voyager?

Is anyone getting HBO max tomorrow?  The criterion collection and Miyazaki movies may push it over the top for me, but they haven’t signed a deal with Roku yet.

My daughters enjoys sitcoms like Silicon Valley, Veep, The Office, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore and The Good Place

Would she like Schitt's Creek?

Over the last couple of months, I watched the entire run of Star Trek, The Next Generation, completing the task over the weekend. The original series is a top 5 all time show for me, and I remember being excited and then eventually disappointed when The Next Generation originally aired, and gave up on it after three or four episodes. So I revisited as I'd often heard it got better as the seasons progressed. I'd say that's an accurate assessment, but I can't say that I think it was a great show. I'm not sure it was even a good show overall, though there were some standout episodes. It definitely wasn't better than the original series, Spock's Brain and space hippies not withstanding.  At heart, I just don't think the writing was in the ballpark of the original series quality wise.

Patrick Stewart and LeVar Burton turned in really good acting performances. Brent Spiner was great when he was playing nominal Data, o.k. as Dr. Soong and Lore, and pretty bad playing anything else. The rest of the main cast wasn't so hot acting wise, painfully bad in the early seasons, to the point of distraction. I say this fully granting Shatner's hamming it up in the original.

Years back I kept running into the sentiment about how great Deep Space 9 was, also not having watching it during it's original run due to my ambivalence about the Next Generation. I ended up watching all of DS9 as a result, and thought it was a pretty good series (not without its own flaws), but didn't get the love for it some were exhibiting at the time. After watching TNG, I think I get it - compared to TNG, DS9 was a marked improvement.

I also started and quit Voyager when it came out, finding it to be even worse than TNG in just about all ways. I bailed on it prior to Seven of 9 being introduced, so I probably missed the main attraction there. I'm contemplating taking in Voyager next, but I started up the initial episode last night and am really struggling with motivation to stick with it. I'm tempted to just rewatch DS9 instead and skip ahead to Enterprise (which I also watch an episode or two of and then quit when it came out).

Any Trekkers here to recommend a continue/abort with Voyager?
My family are enormous Trekkies and have watched each series fully through numerous times.  We all rank Voyager last among the series.

Enterprise got off to a terrible start (arguably even weaker than Voyager) but the last two seasons were a lot of fun.

If you did not find high enjoyment with TNG, I would personally not waste time on Voyager as I think you will likely be disappointed.

Watched Django again last night. Love it, but the ending could use some editing. Went a bit long, maybe because I’ve already seen it twice. 
I love that movie, but I sorta know what you mean. It felt like the climax at Candyland (following the would-be handshake, to not outright spoiler it for those who have not seen it) should have ended it, but then we had another 20 minutes of so.  Granted, the story had to naturally resolve itself, and the ending was soooo satisfying, but it did feel a bit long.  That is QT's movies for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread