What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (14 Viewers)

we started watching Reckoning on Netflix last night.  pretty much a stock cop vs serial killer show. checks a lot of the stereotypical boxes.

that was enough bait to catch my wife's attention, but what made her take the hook is all of the actors (save 1) are like the 3rd or 4th tier options for their respective roles.  like the Netflix execs said to the creators of this show "we want a cop show and we want Alec Baldwin in the lead".. and the creators said "how about if we can get a guy who looks like the body double of Alec Baldwin's backup body double and his acting is on par with that guy's?" and Netflix said "make it".

she loves shows that fit a certain profile, but which have actors no one has ever seen before who are really not good at their job.
Just started this. Probably helps I don’t have high expectations. It showed up in a Netflix category under my profile called Psychos (don’t judge) 😆

the lead cop looks like a combo of Old Brendan Fraser / that guy from Castle / the other Baldwin (maybe Steven). 
and the other guy is the shape shifting bar owner from true blood.

Fear City on Netflix. About taking down the NYC mob. Wasn't bad but could have been much better.  Just seemed a bit disjointed. They could have cut it down to 2 episodes. Some geat footage though.

The Hateful Eight -  I never saw the movie so this extended version was new to me. I've read that it isn't much longer than a special theatrical release that was limited to only a few theaters but longer than what most saw. Seems like they added one scene and showed some additional camera angles from the regular release. I generally like Tarantino and this wasn't any different but I didn't love it. Some great visuals and dialogue as usual as well as the over-the-top violence at the end. Some of the acting seemed uneven and forced, especially considering the great cast. His liberal use of the N-word takes away from the movie in the first half. I guess I just didn't really care for the story as it developed and, since I guess they are all hateful, didn't care about any of the characters either.

I enjoyed Speed Cubers on Netflix. It's a short documentary about the friendship of the two fastest Rubik's Cube solvers in the world -- one of whom has autism. 

Late to the party but just started watching "Grace and Frankie ". Hilarious. And Jane Fonda is smokin hot for an 80 year old.
Even later than you. My wife started watching this recently and I watch on and off.

This show is so great. Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson. Hard to think of a better cast than that.

I am struggling as to whether I can suggest this show for my parents, since it is a bit 'mature.' 

Another that my wife found that we like is Derry GirlsAs a teen in that era (Boston, not NI) it brings back some great memories of music and other stuff of that era.

Last edited by a moderator:
We started watching...kids are into it.

I did Tris before the kids, up to and including an Ironman. I wouldn't last a day in this thing. Interested to see how the team of Ironman athletes, including the Ironman Cowboy (decent enough doc in itself about him...50 IMs in 50 straight days in 50 states) do and/or if they can finish. Those Kiwis are madmen (and woman).
Through episode 1.  Crazy thing is that so many of the contestants just don’t look like athletes. Endurance is a different animal though, and these guys are insane.  

Taste the Nation in Hulu by the Too Chef Padmé lady was extremely interesting. Dives into different food cultures across America. Learned a lot, not just about food. 

Through episode 1.  Crazy thing is that so many of the contestants just don’t look like athletes. Endurance is a different animal though, and these guys are insane.  
Even in Tris...you can never tell based on appearances. But yeah ... This is a whole other ballgame.

Which season? Im new to it too and totally hooked.

Fwiw...there's a dedicated thread.
Oh I didn’t know.  We are almost done with season one on amazon.  

ive been suspended for the better part of the last year so I am not up on most threads anymore.  

Oh I didn’t know.  We are almost done with season one on amazon.  

ive been suspended for the better part of the last year so I am not up on most threads anymore.  
No worries...the recent season just ended this week (S7?) , so you're probably better off avoiding it.

I love post apocalyptic stuff- I like putting myself into the action and imagining how I'd survive...part of why I really enjoy the show. But I wouldn't last a day in this thing. That guy with bears around his tarp the first night...no effing way. Out.

World's toughest race seems pretty good 2 episodes in. New show on prime by Mark Burnett.. It has a Survivor feel to it.
Watched episodes 2, 3, and part of 4 while running 16 miles on the treadmill this afternoon.  I’m enjoying it (the show, not running 16 miles on a treadmill).

Watched episodes 2, 3, and part of 4 while running 16 miles on the treadmill this afternoon.  I’m enjoying it (the show, not running 16 miles on a treadmill).
Thermometer cracked 60 again, did it?

ETA... But seriously- do you imagine doing one of these some day?

Last edited by a moderator:

And no, if only because I’m a terrible swimmer, and all of these things seem to involve water. I’d drown for sure.
went to the driving range today. it was 85 on the thermometer, but 137 in the sun.

sweat straight through... everything.  totally wiped me out.

World's toughest race seems pretty good 2 episodes in. New show on prime by Mark Burnett.. It has a Survivor feel to it.
Trying to get into this but it seems like it’s 90% just showing these people and their families. Interesting concept but I just don’t care about the family background stuff. Does it get off that?

Trying to get into this but it seems like it’s 90% just showing these people and their families. Interesting concept but I just don’t care about the family background stuff. Does it get off that?
Agreed. We've watched 4 episodes and that is the thing holding it back, imo. Although I do realize there must be people that like that part of shows like this. I thought it would be only the first couple of episodes as they introduce teams but it continues as they introduce new ones and others don't make the cut. I expect it to continue throughout. 

Still enjoying it but it winds up fading to the background a little as we usually talk over a lot of it.

Agreed. We've watched 4 episodes and that is the thing holding it back, imo. Although I do realize there must be people that like that part of shows like this. I thought it would be only the first couple of episodes as they introduce teams but it continues as they introduce new ones and others don't make the cut. I expect it to continue throughout. 

Still enjoying it but it winds up fading to the background a little as we usually talk over a lot of it.
It was a decent watch and it does get a bit scary at some points. That said trying not to ruin things but the top teams are boring. They really don’t have much of an issue with things. Occasionally, but most of the show is on the feel good stuff and the screw ups/near death experiences. It was worth a watch especially with so little new stuff right now but I’d rather watch The Amazing Race and Survivor in terms of competition reality. I think this show compares more to those that the survival shows.

Pretty much continues throughout still pretty entertaining. What surprised me is some of those folks look like me ( not in the least athletic). I expected more iron man types. Pretty interesting the time difference between the front and the back.

Kind of has to be since the actual race for the top spot is over before most teams make to or just past the half way point. 
100% agree. The race itself is boring. Not to give it away but the top few teams finish a ridiculous amount ahead of even the rest of the top 10. Also, it was almost boring traveling along with them as they didn’t really seem to have much trouble with the course. It’s just odd sometimes to see teams not really have issues while others you feel like they might die.

Fin love the Last Kingdom

Uhtrid son of Uhtrid is my new catch phrase. 

Uhtrid Ragnarsson. 

Great hockey name. Great genre. 
I thought I was mostly done with TV because I eventually concluded that, hour for hour, movies are the better time investment. (I loved The Wire, but Casablanca was pretty good too, and it's hard to overlook the 50+ hours versus <2 hours of required investment.)

But I started in on The Last Kingdom last night and, after 2.5 episodes, I'm immediately hooked. They've set this up to have great potential.

17 minutes in and my wife knows one of the racers. Small damn world. 
My wife and her family used to do these adventure races on an amateur basis, from the very start she started naming some of the older elite racers. Her family has never done Eco-challenge but did help as staff at a Primal Quest before.

These races can be brutal, I’ve only done a few and been completely exhausted and beat to hell. And those were short sprint type races that are only a day. 11 days is insane although the elite teams churn these things out in only a few days with basically zero sleep.

i'd imagine some of the lack of race footage is due to the difficulty of having a team of cameramen running the race while carrying equipment also?

i'd imagine some of the lack of race footage is due to the difficulty of having a team of cameramen running the race while carrying equipment also?
When they were crossing that heavily flowing river, holding each other, slowly moving a step at a time, I couldn't help thinking about what the cameraman was doing. Crazy.

100% agree. The race itself is boring. Not to give it away but the top few teams finish a ridiculous amount ahead of even the rest of the top 10. Also, it was almost boring traveling along with them as they didn’t really seem to have much trouble with the course. It’s just odd sometimes to see teams not really have issues while others you feel like they might die.
The Elite teams are ridiculous in how good they are. They train non-stop but it takes a certain kind of athlete to do well in these kinds of races. Often the best teams are simply the ones that are great at navigation and dead reckoning and such. The workout warriors that do well in other types of sports and races get chewed up and eliminated due to time when there aren’t clearly marked race paths or courses. It’s a very unique skill you need on top of the endurance as well as adaptability to different race types (canoeing to biking, to hiking, to climbing, paddle boarding, etc, etc.) Often races have mental challenges as well (think of the puzzles from Survivor.)

To give an example, I’ve done Spartan races before and IMO, they are so much easier. It’s often very physically taxing and tough, but the course is usually straight forward and laid out linearly. It’s often just about speed, strength and endurance. In adventure racing, it doesn’t matter how strong or fast you are if you get lost and can’t find your next checkpoint.

Fin love the Last Kingdom

Uhtrid son of Uhtrid is my new catch phrase. 

Uhtrid Ragnarsson. 

Great hockey name. Great genre. 
I thought I was mostly done with TV because I eventually concluded that, hour for hour, movies are the better time investment. (I loved The Wire, but Casablanca was pretty good too, and it's hard to overlook the 50+ hours versus <2 hours of required investment.)

But I started in on The Last Kingdom last night and, after 2.5 episodes, I'm immediately hooked. They've set this up to have great potential.
Really enjoyed the Last Kingdom and it is great news they have signed for at least one more season.
I liked they went with a different view point vs. The Vikings.... which I still think was slightly better, if not more confusing to follow.

The only "nitpick" I had was ( putting it in spoiler for those that haven't watched all seasons so don't click if you haven't)

Hated Ragnar got taken out the way he did.. I get it setup a LOT of the following episodes/Seasons, just thought as strong of a character he was it could have been handled a little more "fight" wise.

otherwise I can't wait to see the next season :popcorn:  

The Hateful Eight -  I never saw the movie so this extended version was new to me. I've read that it isn't much longer than a special theatrical release that was limited to only a few theaters but longer than what most saw. Seems like they added one scene and showed some additional camera angles from the regular release. I generally like Tarantino and this wasn't any different but I didn't love it. Some great visuals and dialogue as usual as well as the over-the-top violence at the end. Some of the acting seemed uneven and forced, especially considering the great cast. His liberal use of the N-word takes away from the movie in the first half. I guess I just didn't really care for the story as it developed and, since I guess they are all hateful, didn't care about any of the characters either.
It was already at least 45 minutes too long.

Now we get an extended version?   :shock:   :yucky:

Users who are viewing this thread