What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

we're 3 episodes in

wife said she was surprised i was watching because it's basically American Horror Story, but with prettier sets & wardrobe.

doesn't seem like it's that.  yet. but might be heading in that direction. if it starts veering too far off in to supernatural ####, i'm out.
welp, episode 4 got pretty ridiculous pretty quickly. 

beautiful set designs, wardrobe, great color, plenty of good actors are involved.. but this just isn't for me :shrug:

I'm half way though S2 of Kingdom.  I like it. Not as much as some - or apparently all - of you but it's an excellent show.  I found this comment in the reviews on IMDB and it sums up my biggest problem with the show:

"The thing that was upsetting is the unnecessary normalization of cocaine, bordering on glorification"

I believe the last 5 episodes I have watched have had scenes with coke, or heroin use and, call me crazy, it disturbs me.  Still a very enjoyable show, due to the characters.
The characters really make the show. Which is why some are put off and never even watch it that appears to revolve around MMA. The MMA is no different than a marketing agency in making Mad Men great. 

However, your point is definitely well taken on the cocaine thing. For some reason I never thought of it nor do I feel the same but Im glad you're enjoying it. 

I cancelled Netflix yesterday. I have no cable so I've been through almost everything there and there's not much groundbreaking right now in their library. 

I have a lot of 12 Harlan Coben books coming from Amazon and once I get through those, will assess which streaming options there are. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The characters really make the show. Which is why some are put off and never even watch it that appears to revolve around MMA. The MMA is no different than a marketing agency in making Mad Men great. 

However, your point is definitely well taken on the cocaine thing. For some reason I never thought of it nor do I feel the same but Im glad you're enjoying it. 
There's copious amounts of alcohol too but that doesn't bother me as much. Probably because I like my alcohol.  

The Sinner is a very tough watch.  Icky.  Bordering on not sure I want to finish it.  :(  
1, 2 or 3 ?

Season 1 was very good and worth the :oldunsure:   feeling

Season 2 was good, just not as much of a Pay-off.

Season 3 ..  It was interesting, but VERY strange.. Many parts are a stretch to believe someone would do that. 

I'm half way though S2 of Kingdom.  I like it. Not as much as some - or apparently all - of you but it's an excellent show.  I found this comment in the reviews on IMDB and it sums up my biggest problem with the show:

"The thing that was upsetting is the unnecessary normalization of cocaine, bordering on glorification"

I believe the last 5 episodes I have watched have had scenes with coke, or heroin use and, call me crazy, it disturbs me.  Still a very enjoyable show, due to the characters.
Cocaine is extremely popular and a ton of people do it :shrug:  we have a huge problem in the Coast Guard right now and are kicking people out right and left due to coke. Pre covid I started noticing more and more at my local watering hole that the same people were going to the bathroom frequently and then I realized it was not to piss. 

1, 2 or 3 ?

Season 3 ..  It was interesting, but VERY strange.. Many parts are a stretch to believe someone would do that. 
The season 1 scene w the sister was even a bit disturbing for me and not much disturbs me. I think you know the scene I'm talking about. 

Both seasons? I loved the Cora season. But you're correct, it's really disturbing. 

1, 2 or 3 ?

The Sinner was excellent TV in a sick twisted way

The season 1 scene w the sister was even a bit disturbing for me and not much disturbs me. I think you know the scene I'm talking about. 
Yes, Season 1 and yes that scene was super uncomfortable.  Guess I'm just more easily disturbed.

Even the sex/drugs scene at the party was very disturbing in a similar way.  

Cocaine is extremely popular and a ton of people do it :shrug:  we have a huge problem in the Coast Guard right now and are kicking people out right and left due to coke. Pre covid I started noticing more and more at my local watering hole that the same people were going to the bathroom frequently and then I realized it was not to piss. 
I'm not saying it is or isn't just that it turns me off seeing it "glamorized". Otherwise I love the show.

Maybe the fact that it's so frequently shown like this is helping fuel the fire. People see it and it looks like a great time. Instant adrenaline. 

Anyway its just something that I noticed and don't love. right or wrong. 

falguy said:
I'm not saying it is or isn't just that it turns me off seeing it "glamorized". Otherwise I love the show.

Maybe the fact that it's so frequently shown like this is helping fuel the fire. People see it and it looks like a great time. Instant adrenaline. 

Anyway its just something that I noticed and don't love. right or wrong. 
As a father of 3 teenagers, I think you are correct. Drug use has absolutely been more glamorized lately and you can’t act like that doesn’t affect young people watching these shows.

As a father of 3 teenagers, I think you are correct. Drug use has absolutely been more glamorized lately and you can’t act like that doesn’t affect young people watching these shows.
This show started its run 6 years ago and ended 3 years ago. The people taking these drugs are f’d in the head and not what you’d call upstanding citizens so I’m not seeing how it’s being glamorized. Not to side track this thread but drugs are out of control, my youngest graduated high school 2 years ago and during his time there were far too many pill od deaths. My son and his friends barely watch television shows outside of some sports, they are playing video games and on the internet. 

Im 3 episodes into season 2 and I like it more than The Boys. The Boys first season was fantastic, and while season 2 has its moments, its nowhere near as fun or interesting as season 1.

Umbrella Academy season 1 was really good, and so far season 2 is great. Also, it may have the best soundtrack of any TV show Ive ever watched, and last night there was a fight scene in episode 3 that was a major tip of the hat to Snatch (Guy Ritchie film), which was pretty awesome.

I really hope theres a season 3, but nothing has been announced yet.
The soundtrack to season 2 of umbrella academy was awesome. Episode 6 season 2 of the boys though is fanfntastic and setting up the second half to be on par with season 1 imo. 

Im 3 episodes into season 2 and I like it more than The Boys. The Boys first season was fantastic, and while season 2 has its moments, its nowhere near as fun or interesting as season 1.

Umbrella Academy season 1 was really good, and so far season 2 is great. Also, it may have the best soundtrack of any TV show Ive ever watched, and last night there was a fight scene in episode 3 that was a major tip of the hat to Snatch (Guy Ritchie film), which was pretty awesome.

I really hope theres a season 3, but nothing has been announced yet.
Very good show... can’t end like that can it?

Did anyone do Enola Holmes yet?  I'm wondering whether it would be good for my 9 year old daughter, who is rather sensitive to violence and scary stuff.

mr. furley said:

beautiful set designs, wardrobe, great color, plenty of good actors are involved.. but this just isn't for me :shrug:
Ditto... almost didn’t finish the episode. Went off a cliff , this one did. 

Ted Lasso on Apple TV is a funny, feel good show. Currently in its first season. 
Watched the first four episodes and Jason Sudeikis is great in it
Ok...I kind of poo-poohed Ted Lasso as not having enough bite in the humor, especially from Ted who I wanted to be more buffoonish and belligerent to make it really worthwhile.

I take it back. I'm all in- love it. Need it. With so much cynical, angry crap out there in life, politics and tv, it's become amazing to watch this show and just feel good.

mr. furley said:

I might be in the minority, but I need a break from Sarah Paulson.

this is my first time seeing her in anything

i don't remember Nurse Ratched being like this in One Flew Over..
Lucky you. Every time I turn around I see her in something. Glass, Mrs. America, American Crime Story (the OJ one), Bird Box. Come to think of it, I am kind of done with Ryan Murphy too. 

I'm waaaaaay out on Ratched. It's ruining my love of the movie and book. If they were gonna do a prequel style show I'd rather see something involving Chief or McMurphy 

C'mon...wilson wilson too
Still in episode 3, and I'm starting to see John Cusak's fingerprints all over this, and not necessarily in a good way. It has the same kind of rambling, stream of conscious feel to it that is emblematic of many of his performances, and the actors for Wilson Wilson and Ian both seem as if they're playing their roles as if their direction was "play it as if John Cusak was playing it."

Still, I can't seem to turn it off yet... 

Ok after a long day of football and watching my Heat advance to the finals.....and seeing Aaron Rodgers continue to be great this season.....I watched The Social Dilemma late last night (after midnight). 

I had a hard time going to bed after watching it. It basically confirmed a lot of my concerns and fears of everything going on in our world regarding what I consider the arm pit of our society.

The intentions were so good when this stuff (Facebook for example) first came around. A tool. But the evil empires within the board rooms only are about ho to monetize all of it. If you have not seen this.....I highly reccomend watching it with your children (if you have any).

Major habit changes are in store for my 15 year old son...who is not on social media for the most part.....but the pick up habit and screen time habit are going to be curtailed a lot moving forward. I do not want it getting out of control as after you watch this.....you will understand. 

It truly is the Matrix people. And we are in some grave danger as a society if this keeps going unchecked and unregulated. 

Anyway....watch it. Mind-blowing stuff. And not surprising to me at all.

Ok after a long day of football and watching my Heat advance to the finals.....and seeing Aaron Rodgers continue to be great this season.....I watched The Social Dilemma late last night (after midnight). 

I had a hard time going to bed after watching it. It basically confirmed a lot of my concerns and fears of everything going on in our world regarding what I consider the arm pit of our society.

The intentions were so good when this stuff (Facebook for example) first came around. A tool. But the evil empires within the board rooms only are about ho to monetize all of it. If you have not seen this.....I highly reccomend watching it with your children (if you have any).

Major habit changes are in store for my 15 year old son...who is not on social media for the most part.....but the pick up habit and screen time habit are going to be curtailed a lot moving forward. I do not want it getting out of control as after you watch this.....you will understand. 

It truly is the Matrix people. And we are in some grave danger as a society if this keeps going unchecked and unregulated. 

Anyway....watch it. Mind-blowing stuff. And not surprising to me at all.
Agree.  I just saw the trailer for The Great Hack, also on Netflix, that appears to be in a similar vein.  Anyone seen that and would recommend?

And Arby. He's starting to grow on me too.

Between this show and The Boys, I'm starting to realize I must have this really ****ed up side to me somewhere...
It's good and interesting, but feeling a bit too current...and dark. Will keep watching, but it's starting to feel psychically exhausting; there's a reason I'm thankful for Ted Lasso in the midst of 2020. 

Rustoleum said:
After watching the 2nd episode of Utopia, I want all of them to die.  This may not be a show for me...
Yeah, I don’t think I can watch 6 more  episodes of Jessica’s scowl. I kinda liked it up until then and now I would only watch to see if the villain can rack up a John Wick level body count.
Stick with it.  It starts to come together.   I wish there was a way to watch the UK version.  I've heard it is better.

I'm waaaaaay out on Ratched. It's ruining my love of the movie and book. If they were gonna do a prequel style show I'd rather see something involving Chief or McMurphy 
man you guys are really piling on.  my wife and i are 4 episodes in and like it.  it is way different, but that is welcome. delightful at times.

kind of funny how the negative comments suggest lack of appreciation for a very trippy show about a character created (inspired by) Ken Kesey.

though One Flew wasn't a real trippy novel despite reportedly being written while Mr. Kesey was tripping the night shift away working as an aide on his local psych unit.

Users who are viewing this thread