What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

man you guys are really piling on.  my wife and i are 4 episodes in and like it.  it is way different, but that is welcome. delightful at times.

kind of funny how the negative comments suggest lack of appreciation for a very trippy show about a character created (inspired by) Ken Kesey.

though One Flew wasn't a real trippy novel despite reportedly being written while Mr. Kesey was tripping the night shift away working as an aide on his local psych unit.
Honestly if you like it, I'm not here to be a gate keeper. It's just my favorite movie. If you appreciate it, do you brother 

No fighting? :kicksrock:

I was looking forward to enforcing my completely arbitrary and dispassionate line in the sand.
I figure you fight like a soccer player, so what's the difference?

If you really want to fight, I am percolating a rant about John Cusak in this show but am saving it until everyone's had a chance to watch the entire season.

I figure you fight like a soccer player, so what's the difference?

If you really want to fight, I am percolating a rant about John Cusak in this show but am saving it until everyone's had a chance to watch the entire season.
I like cusak here. And most places. But interested to hear your thoughts when ready.

Fight?

I like cusak here. And most places. But interested to hear your thoughts when ready.

Fight?
I'll start by saying that I celebrate most of his catalog as well, so this isn't an indictment of his career, just a commentary about this specific role.

Something I learned recently was that he was at least considered for the role of Tony Stark/Ironman, though I can't say how serious that consideration could have been. He had the martial arts/physical side of the role down, but he's just too much of a misanthrope to have been able to land the role that had so much external weight bearing down on it.  I bring this up because there is a scene in the season finale that was similar to a scene from Iron Man 3.

The scene when Dr. Christie was being held by Wilson and co., was similar to when Tony Stark was being held by Mandarin's/Killian's men at the mansion in Florida.  Both were vamping for time waiting for the cavalry to arrive, Stark's in the form of his suit, Christie's in the form of his army of twins.  Because of the little nugget of information about him being considered for the role of Iron Man, I immediately drew this comparison.  Maybe that was part of the original story before it was made into a TV series, and stalling for time is not a new concept, so I'm not trying to blame him per se'; it's just that I already feel like he's casting a long shadow over this series anyway and maybe this is some kind of nod to that story, like him subtly saying "if I had been cast as Tony Stark, this is how I would have played it.  In fact, short of the suit and the violence, I see similarities between the two characters that I can't help but wonder are not coincidental.

So, it's not necessarily his acting that's the source of my irritation, more that I'm getting so sucked into the paranoia and conspiratorial nature of the show that I'm seeing things that probably really aren't there but in some ways make perfect sense, with Cusak's role being right at the center of it, and this isn't a traditional rant but I'm labeling it that because it's pretty out there like and not very rational, like most rants.

And that's how you start a fight by leading with your chin. :boxing:

Ok...I kind of poo-poohed Ted Lasso as not having enough bite in the humor, especially from Ted who I wanted to be more buffoonish and belligerent to make it really worthwhile.

I take it back. I'm all in- love it. Need it. With so much cynical, angry crap out there in life, politics and tv, it's become amazing to watch this show and just feel good.
Great show, sucks to be at the final episode. 

I’m two episodes into Utopia and a huge fan of this type of genre but I’ll tell you - after the end of episode two, I almost wanted to stop watching. It seems silly, but what occurred there at the end really pissed me off and I have to imagine changes the direction of how things can proceed. 

On the phone so can’t put in spoilers so don’t want to say too much. 

I’m two episodes into Utopia and a huge fan of this type of genre but I’ll tell you - after the end of episode two, I almost wanted to stop watching. It seems silly, but what occurred there at the end really pissed me off and I have to imagine changes the direction of how things can proceed. 

This genre is not my bag whatsoever, though I did stick with it through the entire season.  Based on what little I know of the genre, I'm pretty sure it's going to get where you think it is going anyway.

One thing I will say--and I don't think this is a spoiler--is that many character arcs make sense (except for the one I'm pretty sure you're referring to) and are mostly 'satisfying' in their own ways, which could be why I didn't give up on it.  At least I've gone from wanting all of the characters in the story to die to now hoping a few of them live..

How did you feel about Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead?

The Vow on HBO is really good.  The dude in his volleyball outfit will eventually be a meme.  It's awesome.
My wife and I have been watching and enjoying. It makes it interesting that the court cases are starting to be resolved as this airs.

What are your thoughts on Sara? I don't have as much sympathy for her as I do for some of the others. She obviously made a ton of $ from NXIVM because where she and Nippy live in Vancouver is crazy expensive. It was like a multi-level marketing scheme she went along with because she was making big $$$. Then when Nippy found out about the branding and flipped out, Sara started agreeing with others that it was a cult. If I wanted to be really cynical, I could say that Sara saw this house of cards was about to collapse and decided she better get on the I'm the victim side of things before somebody came after her. She said she recruited a lot of people to NXIVM. [/spolier]

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you feel about Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead?
I enjoyed them both very much and I get it - 'main' characters will die in shows such as this. You always hope that when a situation like that occurs it helps advance the plot as opposed to possibly hindering it. 

1. Out of all the characters introduced so far - I liked her character the best and for her to die so quickly into the series was shocking and frustrating. 

2. It ruined whatever hope or empathy you may have had for the Jessica Hyde character. It no longer became partnership thrown together to battle the global conspiracy. It's now become a 'hostage' situation where any rational individual would try to escape or kill Jessica Hyde. No matter what may happen down the line - there is always that one thing she did to their friend and it can't be undone. 

I've moved onto the third episode and I am still enjoying it. Just not a fan of that course of action that was taken. 

Have we talked about Tread yet on here?  Its netflix and holy crap its pretty good.  The level of psychosis some people have and factoring in revenge is downright scary.  
caught this tonight. forgot about this story all these years later, but when it popped up on Netflix i knew i had to see it.

very interesting, imo. 

American Murder: The Family Next Door.  Chilling, lots of local interests for me as I live and work in the general area.

American Murder: The Family Next Door.  Chilling, lots of local interests for me as I live and work in the general area.
Thought it was very well done. Chilling defines it perfectly. The use of actual video is what really drove the nail home. How somebody could be so calm.........

Thought it was very well done. Chilling defines it perfectly. The use of actual video is what really drove the nail home. How somebody could be so calm.........
I wished they would have gone into a little more detail at the end there. I felt like his statements about the crime, were just too brief a conclusion for such a ride. We followed that story pretty closely as my good friend lives in Frederick, my daughter goes to UNC and so we are in that area quite often.  Just sad, sad events..

Ok...I kind of poo-poohed Ted Lasso as not having enough bite in the humor, especially from Ted who I wanted to be more buffoonish and belligerent to make it really worthwhile.

I take it back. I'm all in- love it. Need it. With so much cynical, angry crap out there in life, politics and tv, it's become amazing to watch this show and just feel good.
Great show, sucks to be at the final episode. 
Went out with a bit of whimper, imo. Still really enjoyed the show and wish they'd just keep this going without a break and jump right back into the promotion battle.

I'll start by saying that I celebrate most of his catalog as well, so this isn't an indictment of his career, just a commentary about this specific role.

Something I learned recently was that he was at least considered for the role of Tony Stark/Ironman, though I can't say how serious that consideration could have been. He had the martial arts/physical side of the role down, but he's just too much of a misanthrope to have been able to land the role that had so much external weight bearing down on it.  I bring this up because there is a scene in the season finale that was similar to a scene from Iron Man 3.

The scene when Dr. Christie was being held by Wilson and co., was similar to when Tony Stark was being held by Mandarin's/Killian's men at the mansion in Florida.  Both were vamping for time waiting for the cavalry to arrive, Stark's in the form of his suit, Christie's in the form of his army of twins.  Because of the little nugget of information about him being considered for the role of Iron Man, I immediately drew this comparison.  Maybe that was part of the original story before it was made into a TV series, and stalling for time is not a new concept, so I'm not trying to blame him per se'; it's just that I already feel like he's casting a long shadow over this series anyway and maybe this is some kind of nod to that story, like him subtly saying "if I had been cast as Tony Stark, this is how I would have played it.  In fact, short of the suit and the violence, I see similarities between the two characters that I can't help but wonder are not coincidental.

So, it's not necessarily his acting that's the source of my irritation, more that I'm getting so sucked into the paranoia and conspiratorial nature of the show that I'm seeing things that probably really aren't there but in some ways make perfect sense, with Cusak's role being right at the center of it, and this isn't a traditional rant but I'm labeling it that because it's pretty out there like and not very rational, like most rants.

And that's how you start a fight by leading with your chin. :boxing:
Ok...finally wrapped it up.

Well done and fun, but I just don't know that I have it in me to do the dark conspiracy thing these days.

Watching Van Helsing on Netflix. Is entertaining.
Decided to try it, kind of fun especially with Halloween around the corner. Some definite SyFy low budget drawbacks but not enough to distract totally. Although this is based on its own graphic novel, the first few episodes seem very first season of The Walking Dead influenced.

Ok...finally wrapped it up.

Well done and fun, but I just don't know that I have it in me to do the dark conspiracy thing these days.
A couple of the characters have grown on me despite this genre not being my thing, but I agree with your thought here, though I'll still probably give the first episode or two a chance before watching the entire thing, just because.

Went out with a bit of whimper, imo. Still really enjoyed the show and wish they'd just keep this going without a break and jump right back into the promotion battle.
Really? I thought it was a great and realistic ending. It will be interesting to see if the FF a bit. I was assuming Roy would come back as an assistant and that Jamie might come back, maybe after some disgraceful exit from Man City. Anyway, really like all the characters and enjoyed it a lot. Like you said before, it’s nice to have an escape that’s “nice” instead of Black Mirror good.

Emily in Paris - Watched the first episode last night. Its very light and fluffy. But I'm a sucker for Paris (where its set) and it was nice for a non-thinker of a light comedy show. Your wife will like it for its romance and Paris. You will like it for Lilly Collins. 

We started watching Brave New World on ...peacock? If you're looking to scratch a sci-fi itch, this works. Based on Huxleys book, but not following the same story.

The Alienist is troubling.   Apparently I'm not as cool with child-whores (and incest, judging by The Sinner) as the rest of society.

The Vow is way too long. Should have been a two hour doc. Not nearly enough interesting material to be this long.

Courtjester said:
I wished they would have gone into a little more detail at the end there. I felt like his statements about the crime, were just too brief a conclusion for such a ride. We followed that story pretty closely as my good friend lives in Frederick, my daughter goes to UNC and so we are in that area quite often.  Just sad, sad events..
If you want, there's like a 6 hour interview on YouTube from jail w the original CBI investigators. Trigger warning though, he goes into graphic detail about killing each family member and it gets really really stomach turning (even more than the doc). 

Also regarding American Horror... Look up the YouTube channel Jim Can't Swim. He's breakdown of the entire crime is even better than the movie. 

I knew way too much about the case being a YouTube junkie and watching literally every minute of body cam/interview footage so I do speak with a bit of authority on the case. 

Just horrible stuff. 

Finished Tales from the Loop on Amazon.  Some interesting concepts but overall kind of meh.
Art direction was great, acting too. But the individual stories felt like they didn't have enough content to warrant full length episodes...each one was a slog to get through for us and felt like they each ended with a punchline. We didn't bother finishing the series.

Was there a series arc that played out and resolved?

I liked the 1st season which had those troubling themes. I think s2 came out too...same themes?
Still on season 1.  We started it because I heard very very good reviews for Season 2 (and I remember really enjoying the book).

I would hope that theme does not continue throughout.  

Started watching Utopia, I think on amazon. Whoa. For fans of dystopic comics coming to life...two in and has my attention.
This is a like/hate for me. Think I'm on ep. 4 or 5. I like the idea here and the show looks great, but every time I watch I keep thinking it could be so much better. I think they flubbed the lead role. Can't stand the Jessica Hyde character or the actress playing her. Still interested in it to keep watching though.

Yes, I really enjoyed this show a ton. As you note, it was a breath of fresh air in today’s world,  and it was nice watch a show centered on a good person being good and doing good. 

Anybody watching Bly House on Netflix? First two episodes are a little slow but it’s a quality Halloween-time show. 

Eta: spiritual successor to Hill House. Same guy made it. 

Anybody watching Bly House on Netflix? First two episodes are a little slow but it’s a quality Halloween-time show. 

Eta: spiritual successor to Hill House. Same guy made it. 
Yep, its decent, 2 episodes in.  It's really the only current thing I got going.  

Thanks to the thread for Tom Lasso, great series, kind of dropped the ball in the finale tho. 

Monster land on Hulu, no idea what it is about but it started this month and it stars Jonathan tucker so I’ll report back once I watch the first episode. Tucker is one of my favorite actors so I’m all in.

Also regarding American Horror... Look up the YouTube channel Jim Can't Swim. He's breakdown of the entire crime is even better than the movie. 

I knew way too much about the case being a YouTube junkie and watching literally every minute of body cam/interview footage so I do speak with a bit of authority on the case. 

Just horrible stuff. 
I'm not a big poster here as I watch almost no TV, but I read this post and looked up these videos, and holy #### are they interesting.  I feel like if I ever got arrested for a crime I would know just what not to do.  That first male investigator and then the lie-detector woman are insanely outstanding at their jobs.  

Even if you have no interest in this particular crime or TV show (I haven't watched it), this is fascinating stuff.

I'm not a big poster here as I watch almost no TV, but I read this post and looked up these videos, and holy #### are they interesting.  I feel like if I ever got arrested for a crime I would know just what not to do.  That first male investigator and then the lie-detector woman are insanely outstanding at their jobs.  

Even if you have no interest in this particular crime or TV show (I haven't watched it), this is fascinating stuff.
It was crazy how the woman was like “well I know you’re lying, you know you’re lying, now you’re going to tell us the truth” and 3 minutes later the dude was laying out the entire details. Whatever she’s being paid isn’t enough. 

Emily in Paris - Watched the first episode last night. Its very light and fluffy. But I'm a sucker for Paris (where its set) and it was nice for a non-thinker of a light comedy show. Your wife will like it for its romance and Paris. You will like it for Lilly Collins. 
I recommended this show to my wife (former French teacher) and it was a big hit. She watched the first 3-4 episodes on her own and I joined her for the rest of season 1. A light-hearted and easy 30 minutes each episode. Fun stuff.

We watched the first episode of Derry Girls and liked it a lot. Does it hold up?

It was hard to follow even with subtitles (mandatory, imo) They all speak really fast and even the sub-titles fly by.

Hannibal is moving over to Netflix, and Mads Mikkelsen says its "maybe possible" the streamer could order up more seasons...
Started watching due to this thread. It's good. Deviates a lot from the books, and season two is getting a bit shark-jumpy for me, but it's really good nonetheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread