What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

Bump. Anymore thoughts? I'm thinking of buying a Roku. Any thoughts on the DVD netflix compatible(?) players vs just buying the Roku? Can I have two shows going at once on different televisions if I have both? Not a lot of info on the Netflix site.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products

TIA
I haven't received my Insignia blue-ray player with wifi yet, but I'll keep you posted. Assuming it works I think it's well worth it to have one device that does both.
Forgot to update this... yeah, it works really well. Good stuff. :thumbup:
My old DVD player crapped out last week, so I went out and got this yesterday, as it seemed to be the most economical. Is there any way to search on the Blu Ray Player for movies available instantly? I wasn't able to find that last night.Also, if anyone gets this player and has a Verizon FIOS router, drop me a line if you have trouble connecting wirelessly. There is a solution, but it is probably not obvious.

I have a question on the PS3 w/ Netflix streaming, if I signed up for the 1 DVD out a month (+ $2 for blu-ray), can I watch something instantly with a DVD already delivered to me? Is there no limit on how many movies I watch instantly? How is the quality? I read an article from last year that said "HD" titled movies are at best DVD quality w/ some artifacts, is this still the case or has the quality improved with software updates from Sony for the PS3? I'm sure the movies are still watchable even at near-DVD quality, I'm just curious.

Netflix must have made some deal with Fox because in the last few days a whole bunch of Fox tv shows are now available for streaming: 24, Bones, Dollhouse, Arrested Development, some others...

I have a question on the PS3 w/ Netflix streaming, if I signed up for the 1 DVD out a month (+ $2 for blu-ray), can I watch something instantly with a DVD already delivered to me? Is there no limit on how many movies I watch instantly? How is the quality? I read an article from last year that said "HD" titled movies are at best DVD quality w/ some artifacts, is this still the case or has the quality improved with software updates from Sony for the PS3? I'm sure the movies are still watchable even at near-DVD quality, I'm just curious.
Netflix offers a plan which allows you to have just one movie out a month but with no limit on how many instant movies you watch. The quality in HD shows is great and just like a HD show on TV. The quality in non-HD shows is something I've found to be poor and worst than inserting a regular DVD into your PS3 because I don't think the netflix reg def shows are upscaled in PSIII like a regular DVD would.

Haven't read this whole thread, but they recently added the Wii as a streaming device - FYI.

We got the disc few weeks ago and I love the ability to stream stuff for the kids.

Tried to have the family watch "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen" last week, but I was overruled after the first 10 minutes or so. Just when the good stuff was about to kick in. :blackdot:

Haven't read this whole thread, but they recently added the Wii as a streaming device - FYI.We got the disc few weeks ago and I love the ability to stream stuff for the kids. Tried to have the family watch "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen" last week, but I was overruled after the first 10 minutes or so. Just when the good stuff was about to kick in. :popcorn:
Is this a completely different disc from the one for the PS3? I'd like to stream from my Wii as well.

Haven't read this whole thread, but they recently added the Wii as a streaming device - FYI.We got the disc few weeks ago and I love the ability to stream stuff for the kids. Tried to have the family watch "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen" last week, but I was overruled after the first 10 minutes or so. Just when the good stuff was about to kick in. :confused:
Is this a completely different disc from the one for the PS3? I'd like to stream from my Wii as well.
Don't have a PS3, but I think it is completely different.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but The Amateurs was pretty funny. Here's the write-up:

Divorced and depressed, Andy Sargentee (Jeff Bridges) hatches a plan to produce an adult movie and get rich. But the production is plagued by a host of problems, not the least of which is a leading man (Ted Danson) who has trouble "performing" on command. Andy also drafts his buddy Barney (Tim Blake Nelson) to serve as co-producer and appoints geeky Emmett (Patrick Fugit), a kid who owns a video camera, for director of photography.

It's all set in a really small town.

Haven't read this whole thread, but they recently added the Wii as a streaming device - FYI.We got the disc few weeks ago and I love the ability to stream stuff for the kids. Tried to have the family watch "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen" last week, but I was overruled after the first 10 minutes or so. Just when the good stuff was about to kick in. :thumbup:
Anybody else using the Wii for streaming? Besides not being in hi-def (which we don't care), how is it?I've been waiting until the discs came out to subscribe. We don't rent many movies, but we're use the streaming. And are they sending out the discs full-scale now? I don't want to use up the two week free trial without a disc.

If you haven't watched Spartacus:Blood and Sand, I would strongly suggest that you do so. The first couple of episodes aren't the best but it picks up steam after that and gets very good.

I've been watching some foreign movies as well. All of these are worth a veiwing

Gomorrah

The Baader Meinhof Complex

Mongol

Flame and Citron

Che

Some foreign horror

Frontiers (really liked this)

Audition (awesome)

Ichi the Killer (Not sure I would call it a horror but it has a lot of gore)

Dead Snow (not for everyone but a fun enough zombie flick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched "My Name is Bruce" yesterday. Completely ridiculous of course, but pretty fun. His love interest has great curves. She needs to be in more movies. Only available instantly until 4/27.

"Bubba Ho-Tep" may be next...

Not to hijack the thread, but my new TV has an ethernet port for Netflix Watch Instantly. Problem is that my modem is in a different room and can't run an ethernet cord to the TV. Apparently I need to convert another wifi router into a portal that hooks into this ethernet port and will allow the TV to get the signal via wifi. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Not to hijack the thread, but my new TV has an ethernet port for Netflix Watch Instantly. Problem is that my modem is in a different room and can't run an ethernet cord to the TV. Apparently I need to convert another wifi router into a portal that hooks into this ethernet port and will allow the TV to get the signal via wifi. Anyone have an idea how to do this?
I had to buy a USB "wireless" device to plug into my DVD player (router was on the other end of the room) and it works fine. I'm guessing they make one for the TV. Have you checked the owner's manual?

I had to buy a USB "wireless" device to plug into my DVD player (router was on the other end of the room) and it works fine. I'm guessing they make one for the TV. Have you checked the owner's manual?
Doesn't say anything about this, just says to run an ethernet cord from the router to the TV. I need to find an ethernet device similar to what you have - been looking online but this #### is so confusing. These tech companies explain this stuff like you are in their R & D department. I need someone to explain this stuff to me like I'm 12.

Some foreign horror

Frontiers (really liked this)

Audition (awesome)

Ichi the Killer (Not sure I would call it a horror but it has a lot of gore)

Dead Snow (not for everyone but a fun enough zombie flick)
Watched all of them via Netflix WI and Frontiers was really good. I think I recommended it in the recently watched movie thread, but any horror fans out there should really check this out.

Doesn't say anything about this, just says to run an ethernet cord from the router to the TV. I need to find an ethernet device similar to what you have - been looking online but this #### is so confusing. These tech companies explain this stuff like you are in their R & D department. I need someone to explain this stuff to me like I'm 12.
If you haven't already, check the Internet Connected HD Televisions section. http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices...p;lnkce=nrd-ohm

I don't think this is optimal, but you can set up this wireless router/bridge as a wireless client near your tv, then run an ethernet cable to your tv from it. One of the user reviews says he used it as a wireless client so he could hook up his ethernet printer on the wireless network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180035

Any chance you can run some cat 5 between your router and your TV? Maybe in the attic or basement?

Another option is to get a powerline ethernet adapter. basically runs your internet signal through your existing wiring.

Here's a link to what they have at Best Buy.Best Buy link.
For that $$$ he could buy a Roku or pay for half a PS3/Wii/XBox
Doesn't solve his problem of not having an ethernet port near his TV.I bought four of the Monster Powerline 200 versions of these things off eBay and am amazed at how well they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is optimal, but you can set up this wireless router/bridge as a wireless client near your tv, then run an ethernet cable to your tv from it. One of the user reviews says he used it as a wireless client so he could hook up his ethernet printer on the wireless network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180035

Any chance you can run some cat 5 between your router and your TV? Maybe in the attic or basement?
This would be fine, but from what I can tell this needs to be hard wired to the modem. Is is possible to set this up to receive a wireless signal from the modem and hook this to the TV via ethernet cable? Bottom line is that I can't run ethernet cable from the modem to the TV.

If you have wifi already this thing is supposed to work like a receiver if you set it up as a repeater. So you put it near the TV, set it as repeater and run a cable between it and the TV and you should be good.

Available now...

It Might Get Loud :thumbup:

Moon

Seven Pounds

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Donnie Darko

Revenge of the Nerds

One Crazy Summer

3 Days of the Condor

The Man Who Wasn't There

The Searchers

Coming soon...

The Machinist (5/1)

Pandorum (5/6)

It Might Get Loud

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, U2's The Edge and Jack White of the White Stripes. Each talks about their creative process, technique and influences as cameras follow them to key locations in their own music history. A jam session featuring all three musicians is woven into their discussions.

This Documentary was fantastic. :yucky:

La Jetee

60's French film that inspired 12 Monkeys. Only 28 minutes long. If short films would have been a category in the Great Film draft, this would have been an early round selection for me.

FX's new series Archer is out with the first 10 episodes already. I would recommend it - it's pretty damn funny.

Want to thank whoever posted instantwatcher.com, that thing is a must. Picked up the insignia with built in wifi and also watch on my pc, ps3, and wii. This is an awesome thing.

I'm currently watching firefly (missed a few eps during it's short run) to be followed by serenity.

Also, some models of blurays have the netflix capability - I think my Samsung does. They cost more but then u do not need a Roku. On the other hand the Roku has some extra internet functionality- for example the last month of baseball season, I was able to stream my mlb account thru it to watch baseball games. I do not know if thye will let me do that again next year.
I bought this blu ray player and I'm really happy with the netflix streaming. I was looking to get a blu ray anyway so this made the most sense. I'm not a gamer so the xbox and PS3 wasn't really necessary. It was on sale for $130 last week, I'm waiting for another sale to get one as a gift. Even at $200 it probably makes sense if you're looking for a blu ray and netflix streaming.
Yeah, so why should anyone buy a roku instead of a netflix-streaming-enabled blu-ray? Roku is cheaper, but most of us will probably be buying a blu-ray sooner or later right? (Well, maybe not if streaming/on-demand continues to expand.)Does the roku have anything that the blu-ray doesn't?
This looks like a good one.
:lmao: Got it and love it

Users who are viewing this thread