What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guess which team has the most players on IR this season (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
The answer is the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have managed to stay undefeated while accumulating a league-high 12 players on the injured-reserve list.

They’re tied with Buffalo and Detroit in that category.

The Saints have continued to impress and win games despite the many injuries where only one season ago in a similar situation, they finished out of the playoffs.

That experience prompted general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton to put a lot of emphasis on acquiring depth in the off season, and they’ve found enough quality backups that they’ve been able to weather the injury storm quite nicely. The offensive line, Full back, Tight end, Defensive line, linebacker and secondary have held up with quality depth so far. Players that would have not sniffed the starting lineup otherwise are buying in to a new found never say die winning culture in New Orleans. After so many years of "same old Saints" football I am really starting to believe in this franchise and what the future may bring it./ homer mode off.

IR:

Rod Harper DB-previous starter

Leigh Torrence DB-depth started when others got hurt

Reggie Jones -backup

Chip Vaughn LB- depth

Heath Evans FB-Starting Fullback

Mark Simoneau LB-Starting linbacker

Stanley Arnoux-depth

Jamal Brown OLT-Starter and two time probowl selection

Kendrick Clancy-starting DT

Billy Miller TE-Starting TE

D'Juan Woods-Depth

Dan Campbell TE started several games for the Saints

This list also does not include the week to week injuries of players who are not out for the season like Sedrick Ellis ,Tracy Porter and Reggie Bush etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
not really liking the injury trend...how many did we have on IR last year, like 18? but out of that whole list, the only ones that might really hurt us are Evans, Brown, and Miller. luckily, we have good backups at each position (Eckel, Bushrod, and Thomas). kudos to the front office for the willingness to make moves that would give us some good depth. add that to what they did in the offseason (Sharper, Greer, Hargrove, Jenkins, Gregg Williams), and I think the FO is doing a stellar job.

I am really starting to like David Thomas as a weapon for Drew Brees. Sometimes injuries reveal who the next stud will be. Glass half full you know. It would be the other way around if we were losing though.

Billy Miller a starter?

And it seems that most of these guys are practice squaders. 4 of them would see the feild if healthy maybe? And none seem to be that important with the exception of Brown.

I am really starting to like David Thomas as a weapon for Drew Brees. Sometimes injuries reveal who the next stud will be. Glass half full you know. It would be the other way around if we were losing though.
shhhhhhhhh :hifive:

That's pretty impressive for the Saints to overcome and it goes to show what a GM going out to acquire depth can do for a team.

That being said, I'd argue that even though the Colts don't have as many people on IR, they've have had more significant injuries.

Both CB's slated to start this season have only played in 4 games each, and one of them is now on IR.

Bob Sanders is on IR, as is Tyjuan Hagler.

Anthony Gonzalez hasn't played since week 1 and there's no word on if, or when he'll actually see the field again, and they've also lost depth on the Oline and WR positions.

Billy Miller a starter?And it seems that most of these guys are practice squaders. 4 of them would see the feild if healthy maybe? And none seem to be that important with the exception of Brown.
Billy Miller was the starter opposite Shockey. He was one of Drew's favorite players. Also Brown , Evans and Clancy were the big losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have managed to stay undefeated while accumulating a league-high 12 players on the injured-reserve list.

They’re tied with Buffalo and Detroit in that category.

The Saints have continued to impress and win games despite the many injuries where only one season ago in a similar situation, they finished out of the playoffs.

That experience prompted general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton to put a lot of emphasis on acquiring depth in the off season, and they’ve found enough quality backups that they’ve been able to weather the injury storm quite nicely. The offensive line, Full back, Tight end, Defensive line, linebacker and secondary have held up with quality depth so far. Players that would have not sniffed the starting lineup otherwise are buying in to a new found never say die winning culture in New Orleans. After so many years of "same old Saints" football I am really starting to believe in this franchise and what the future may bring it./ homer mode off.

IR:

Rod Harper DB-previous starter

Leigh Torrence DB-depth started when others got hurt

Reggie Jones -backup

Chip Vaughn LB- depth

Heath Evans FB-Starting Fullback

Mark Simoneau LB-Starting linbacker

Stanley Arnoux-depth

Jamal Brown OLT-Starter and two time probowl selection

Kendrick Clancy-starting DT

Billy Miller TE-Starting TE

D'Juan Woods-Depth

Dan Campbell TE started several games for the Saints

This list also does not include the week to week injuries of players who are not out for the season like Sedrick Ellis ,Tracy Porter and Reggie Bush etc. etc.
I don't think this information is still accurate. The Bills added O-linemen Seth McKinney and Eric Wood to IR this week raising the number of Bills on IR to 14.

Billy Miller was the starter opposite Shockey. He was one of Drew's favorite players. Also Brown , Evans and Clancy were the big losses.
:no: Mike Jeaunz forgot to spotlight Kendrick Clancy. If Ellis can return healthy, the Saints will be OK at DT ... but missing Clancy keeps the team from having that deep, fresh rotation that can help so much in the 4th quarter.

FDC's too far from the situation -- he's more or less right about Billy Miller (though he was huge in Shockey's absence last year), but dead wrong about only one IR guy being important. In fact, the guy he points out (Jammal Brown) has the highest-caliber backup available to step in (Bushrod).

I have a feeling this is going to catch up to you at some point. Probably the playoffs. Schedule has been pretty benign and looks fairly easy up to the playoffs.

This week's game will tell us quite a bit.

:goodposting: Mike Jeaunz forgot to spotlight Kendrick Clancy. If Ellis can return healthy, the Saints will be OK at DT ... but missing Clancy keeps the team from having that deep, fresh rotation that can help so much in the 4th quarter.

FDC's too far from the situation -- he's more or less right about Billy Miller (though he was huge in Shockey's absence last year), but dead wrong about only one IR guy being important. In fact, the guy he points out (Jammal Brown) has the highest-caliber backup available to step in (Bushrod).
Please explain why I was so far off. Clancy hurt yes, but I thought coming into 09 one of the strengths of this team was their depth at the defensive line. H Evans hurt, but its still a fullback in the Saints offense- how much value does that really lose? Simomeau was not a starter he was the top backup to Vilma. Everyone else were borderline practice squaders or just backup depth correct? What am I missing here?

Not to hijack a Saints thread further but seems like Detroit is at or near the top of this list every year.... seems like someone needs to take a long hard look at their conditioning program

Please explain why I was so far off. Clancy hurt yes, but I thought coming into 09 one of the strengths of this team was their depth at the defensive line. H Evans hurt, but its still a fullback in the Saints offense- how much value does that really lose? Simomeau was not a starter he was the top backup to Vilma. Everyone else were borderline practice squaders or just backup depth correct? What am I missing here?
Jammal Brown's place has been ably filled by Bushrod, with no real drop-off (Brown's been battling injuries for three years now). That's the part I think you mainly missed.While the Saints are deep at DT, they didn't have four Albert Haynesworths. The Saints rely on rotating their DTs to maintain interior pressure for 60 minutes -- when Sedrick Ellis returns, they'll still be a man down from their opening-day DT rotation. Therefore, I think Clancy's loss is a bigger deal to the Saints' immediate fortunes than Jammal Brown's. You can look at the recent rushing performances against the Saints for evidence.

Heath Evans was a lot more valuable than you're giving him credit for, as well. He's a heady, capable blocker who was also able to take advantage of all the plays when opponents did not account for him (3 TDs early on). No, Evans wouldn't have been a TD freak going forward, but he was yet one more guy D's had to concern themselves with. Kyle Eckel looks decent as a blocker, but he is very young and is still developing his other skills. Evans has been through the wars, and brought that experience to the table every week.

It seems like the Bengals usually lead this category, there are 7 so far (the top 5 are definite starters).

TE Reggie Kelly

TE Ben Utecht (recently released)

DE Antwaan Odom

WR Chris Henry

S Roy Williams

TE Matt Sherry

C Dan Santucci

It seems like the Bengals usually lead this category, there are 7 so far (the top 5 are definite starters).TE Reggie KellyTE Ben Utecht (recently released)DE Antwaan OdomWR Chris HenryS Roy WilliamsTE Matt SherryC Dan Santucci
Andre Smith is not on IR?

Jammal Brown's place has been ably filled by Bushrod, with no real drop-off (Brown's been battling injuries for three years now). That's the part I think you mainly missed.While the Saints are deep at DT, they didn't have four Albert Haynesworths. The Saints rely on rotating their DTs to maintain interior pressure for 60 minutes -- when Sedrick Ellis returns, they'll still be a man down from their opening-day DT rotation. Therefore, I think Clancy's loss is a bigger deal to the Saints' immediate fortunes than Jammal Brown's. You can look at the recent rushing performances against the Saints for evidence.

Heath Evans was a lot more valuable than you're giving him credit for, as well. He's a heady, capable blocker who was also able to take advantage of all the plays when opponents did not account for him (3 TDs early on). No, Evans wouldn't have been a TD freak going forward, but he was yet one more guy D's had to concern themselves with. Kyle Eckel looks decent as a blocker, but he is very young and is still developing his other skills. Evans has been through the wars, and brought that experience to the table every week.
Case rested.Saints lost one of their 4 rotating DTs, a fullback which barely saw 50% of the teams snaps when he played, an OT with a great backup, and a bunch of practice squaders.

Doesn't seem as significant as a team like Carolina who lost 3 potential probowlers or Buffalo who lost many every down guys.

Case rested.
Hang on now -- we're only talking about the IR guys. The recent short-term injuries to the Saints defensive backfield and to DT Sedrick Ellis have been much bigger concerns througout the mid-season.And of course, the team has overcome them all through 10 games. Still, naturally there's cause for concern going into the Patriots game, them being the best offense the Saints have faced all season by a mile. What guys are coming back for the Saints D (Greer and Ellis would be huge), how ready will they be, how much will McAllister and McKenzie be pressed into service, etc.

Not to hijack a Saints thread further but seems like Detroit is at or near the top of this list every year.... seems like someone needs to take a long hard look at their conditioning program
Maybe management too...the may be drafting or signing only players with a history of at least 2 or 3 injuries from high school and/or college :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread