What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Godfather vs. The Godfather: Part II (1 Viewer)

?

• Godfather

Votes: 89 43.8%
  • Godfather II

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Like them both equally

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Never saw The Godfather

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Never saw The Godfather: Part II

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
The original is incredible, no doubt. But I like GF II better.

Love the "young Vito" storyline featuring DeNiro taking his revenge on Don Ciccio. Love Johnny Ola and Hyman Roth. Love Senator Geary, Frankie Five Angels and Don Fanucci (The Black Hand). It's really a perfect movie, including the amazing cinematography.

Of course, we're arguing one all-time great movie against another all-time great movie. There is no wrong answer.

I would have liked an entire 2 hour movie dedicated to the Young Vito storyline. Start with the death of his father and end with the whole 'Michael joins the Marines' thing.

I like how Fredo gets a call in the middle of the night from Johnny Ola. After talking for about two minutes...

Wife: "Who was that?"

Fredo: "Wrong number."

Tough call. I will say that I think my favorite scene in the entire series is the moment when Michael realizes what Fredo has done...when Fredo stupidly lets it slip that he knew Johnny Ola after pretending he didn't. Michael realizes it, and just puts his face in his hands for a couple seconds...even he didn't think that betrayal was possible.

If you break it down into three segments, the whole 1st movie, the early Vito of the 2nd and the Tahoe part of the 2nd it goes: early Vito>1st movie>Tahoe

Overall, I have to give the original a slight edge simply because it was such an original piece of cinema. II had the framework of I to work off of although the way they put together the prequel and the sequel portions of the movie was unique for the time.

Sonny, Brando Vito, Fat Clemenza, Moe Green, Luca Brasi, The Turk, Carlo >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Al Neri, Hyman Roth, Senator Geary, DeNiro Vito, Don Fanucci.

I liked The Family when they are at the top of their game. One can argue that Michael has made them more successful than Vito had them, but it's just cooler with them in NYC running the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Godfather I, but Godfather II was also great.

I would have loved if they made the Vito Corleone story that they played intermittently throughout part II, the main movie. Part III could have been the move to Vegas.

I like Godfather I, but Godfather II was also great.I would have loved if they made the Vito Corleone story that they played intermittently throughout part II, the main movie. Part III could have been the move to Vegas.
the novel goes into a bit more detail of Vito's rise to power....him waging war on both the Italian mobsters who were trying to muscle him and the Irish gangs who controlled parts of NYC. It has Sonny as a youngster leading the Family when the Don gets shot and really shows why Luca Brasi is a man to be feared ( something that they never really hit on with I). That would have been the perfect Godfather III.

I LOVE both, but give just the slightest edge to the original. It had to set everything up and did so perfectly. GII got the benefit from the foundation laid by GI. (Though did a great setup of its own with the Young Vito part) Both amazing!

I prefer The Godfather. I thought I would be in the minority, but it looks close.

Part 2 is exceptional.

I might be the only one, but, I enjoyed 3 as well. I kinda liked the 20+ year jump and how the Corleone family "evolved" or maintained their stature.

Deniro is incredible, Pacino is better in II, and Strasberg is great. But ultimately II doesn't have Brando or Caan...so I gets the nod.

I voted II but really it's a coin flip.

Perhaps the only series where II measures up to I. Aside from Star Wars but that's only because I is drek.

I really don't know why 2 gets as much love as it gets. The DeNiro stuff is gold and a movie about that era would be on par with 1, but the "modern" storyline of 2 is average. I like 2 but it doesn't even come close to the OG.

There's no wrong answer. It's like saying "Who's better - Walter Payton or Barry..."

Nevermind.

Darth Cheney said:
Balco said:
I like Godfather I, but Godfather II was also great.I would have loved if they made the Vito Corleone story that they played intermittently throughout part II, the main movie. Part III could have been the move to Vegas.
the novel goes into a bit more detail of Vito's rise to power....him waging war on both the Italian mobsters who were trying to muscle him and the Irish gangs who controlled parts of NYC. It has Sonny as a youngster leading the Family when the Don gets shot and really shows why Luca Brasi is a man to be feared ( something that they never really hit on with I). That would have been the perfect Godfather III.
I found a first edition of the book at a "barn sale" for $1. It's worth about $10 without the dust jacket, $2,000 with it. The one I found did not have it. Still fun to own though.

Raider Nation said:
Love Senator Geary,
In any movie has a character been delivered a more severe non-death comeuppance than Senator Geary?He goes from I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country with your oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans.

To:

Because I can state from my own knowledge and experience that Eye-Talians are among the most loyal, most law-abiding, patriotic, hard-working American citizens in this land. And it would be a shame, Mr. Chairman, if we allowed a few rotten apples to give a bad name to the whole barrel

Raider Nation said:
Love Senator Geary,
In any movie has a character been delivered a more severe non-death comeuppance than Senator Geary?He goes from I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country with your oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans.

To:

Because I can state from my own knowledge and experience that Eye-Talians are among the most loyal, most law-abiding, patriotic, hard-working American citizens in this land. And it would be a shame, Mr. Chairman, if we allowed a few rotten apples to give a bad name to the whole barrel
Michael COR-LEE-ON.

AMC has been showing The Godfather all day.

I just learned that Al Lettieri (Virgil Sollozzo) died of a heart attack three years after the movie came out. He was just 47 years old.

Was that the perfect face to play an Italian thug, or what?

Monday Tuesday Thursday Saturday.APOLLONIA NOOOOO!!!!!!
Fabrizio (the bodyguard who turned traitor and blew up Michael's car) was killed but they cut the scene.
The novel and film also differ on the fates of Michael's bodyguards in Sicily, Fabrizio and Calo. The film has them both surviving. In the book, however, it is stated that Calo dies along with Apollonia in the car explosion, and Fabrizio, implicated as an accomplice in the bombing, is shot and killed as one more victim in the famous "baptism scene" after he is tracked down running a pizza parlor in Buffalo. Fabrizio's murder was deleted from the film but publicity photos of the scene exist

Fabrizio (the bodyguard who turned traitor and blew up Michael's car) was killed but they cut the scene.
The novel and film also differ on the fates of Michael's bodyguards in Sicily, Fabrizio and Calo. The film has them both surviving. In the book, however, it is stated that Calo dies along with Apollonia in the car explosion, and Fabrizio, implicated as an accomplice in the bombing, is shot and killed as one more victim in the famous "baptism scene" after he is tracked down running a pizza parlor in Buffalo. Fabrizio's murder was deleted from the film but publicity photos of the scene exist
They killed Fabrizio in GF II, but the scene is only on the extended version of the film. I think it's in the Saga. They blew him up in his car outside his pizzeria.

Love Senator Geary,

To:

Michael COR-LEE-ON.
:thumbup: Don't forget the proper use during the 1 on 1 in Michael's office after the baptism. Mr. CORE-LEE-ONEY.Masterpiece. Both of them.

They killed Fabrizio in GF II, but the scene is only on the extended version of the film. I think it's in the Saga. They blew him up in his car outside his pizzeria.
Yeah...you used to see this on TV every once in awhile.

Love both, but give the nod to GF II - I love the Hyman Roth / Havana scenes and the young Vito storyline..

I want to watch them now!!

Deniro is incredible, Pacino is better in II, and Strasberg is great. But ultimately II doesn't have Brando or Caan...so I gets the nod.
It doesn't?
That last scene is one of my favorites in the sequel and a reminder of why I prefer the first film. It had all of the main characters involved plus at the end of the film Michael had become pure evil (as was manifested even further in the sequel). Two classics, though, without a doubt.

I admire the ambition and scope of GF II, but I enjoy the original just a little more. Hyman Roth is a great character and the scenes between Michael and Fredo in GF II are incredible, but for me the party scene in the beginning drags on a bit long and I lose some interest during some of the Vito flashbacks. I don't think I would change a single scene or line of dialogue in the original.

The fact that the sequel is so close in quality to the original is an amazing accomplishment.

I admire the ambition and scope of GF II, but I enjoy the original just a little more. Hyman Roth is a great character and the scenes between Michael and Fredo in GF II are incredible, but for me the party scene in the beginning drags on a bit long and I lose some interest during some of the Vito flashbacks. I don't think I would change a single scene or line of dialogue in the original.The fact that the sequel is so close in quality to the original is an amazing accomplishment.
You're out, Tom.

Raider Nation said:
Love both, but give the nod to GF II - I love the Hyman Roth / Havana scenes and the young Vito storyline..

I want to watch them now!!
The GF marathon was on AMC yesterday. Today is the GFII marathon. Starts in 15 minutes.
:goodposting: (I don't know why, since I own the deluxe DVD boxed set)
Everybody is like that. That box set will sit on my shelf for two years without me touching it, but you have to watch when it's on TV. :sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread