What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
Is having "live view" a dealbreaker?

Been shopping Dslrs for a while now...and I really like the Canon XSI...and for a bit less the Nikon D3000 (IMO, the differences between the D3000 and the D5000 are not close to the price difference, I might rather have the XSI which IMO looks better than the D5000...though, from reviews I am a bit partial to Nikon lenses).

My biggest question outside of the pixels and a few other things is that the big difference between even the XS and the D3000 is the D3000 does not have live view.

Would this be a deal breaker to you if you were just getting started?

BTW...I love the d90...just can't spend that kind of $$$ on a camera right now.

For me, not at all. In fact, I can't get used to not having a viewfinder on my camcorder. I guess I'm old school when it comes to cameras. It just doesn't feel right to not be looking through a viewfinder.

I only use live view for Macro work. That is all.

I never had it until I got my 40D, and it was not the feature that made me choose that camera.

I have the Canon XSi, bought over a year ago. I love the camera but have never once used the live view functionality. I guess it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. :blackdot:

Some nice deals online and in stores this weekend on packages with the extra 55-200 VR or IS lense (depending obviously on Canon or Nikon).

Ive been leaning for some time to the XSI in a way. The D3000 I like...just seems to be a more user friendly for a beginner...but if I get into this like I think I will taking pictures of my kids, I have a feeling I might grow out of that camera quickly where I think I will be happier spending the extra 150 on the Canon XSI now.

Some nice deals online and in stores this weekend on packages with the extra 55-200 VR or IS lense (depending obviously on Canon or Nikon).Ive been leaning for some time to the XSI in a way. The D3000 I like...just seems to be a more user friendly for a beginner...but if I get into this like I think I will taking pictures of my kids, I have a feeling I might grow out of that camera quickly where I think I will be happier spending the extra 150 on the Canon XSI now.
I took some time to compare and ended up paying the extra for the D5000. We haven't opened it yet, it's a Christmas present, so I have no tips for you except to consider spending the extra $ if this will last you awhile.

Some nice deals online and in stores this weekend on packages with the extra 55-200 VR or IS lense (depending obviously on Canon or Nikon).Ive been leaning for some time to the XSI in a way. The D3000 I like...just seems to be a more user friendly for a beginner...but if I get into this like I think I will taking pictures of my kids, I have a feeling I might grow out of that camera quickly where I think I will be happier spending the extra 150 on the Canon XSI now.
I took some time to compare and ended up paying the extra for the D5000. We haven't opened it yet, it's a Christmas present, so I have no tips for you except to consider spending the extra $ if this will last you awhile.
See, this is the thing.I have been out handling all of the cameras and don't really have a huge preference between Nikon or Canon on their own.But IMO when I rank the cameras...I like the Nikon D3000 better than the Canon XS.But I like the Canon XSI more than the D5000. Odd I know.I don't need the HD video of the D5000 because I already have a handheld HD Video camera. And interestingly, I don't like the swivel screen of the D5000.

Not that anyone cares....but ended up out last night at HHGregg and bought the XSI.

Few reasons...I really want to be able to grow into photography a bit and thought I would grow out of the D3000 quickly.

The reason I am updating is this...several places are running some nice deals right now.

I talked to the guy at HHGregg (I actually am friends with his daughter from college, bought my last 2 refridgerators and washer and drier from him) and he gave me an even better deal than they have.

Basically, the combo they are offering now is the XSI and the 18-55 IS lense, + the 55-250 IS lense for $749. Nice deal on its own but several reputable sites can beat them. I talked him about that and he said while he could not match the websites prices...he could throw a few things in for me. So I ended up with an 8gb SD card and a Sony DVD player (the kid's DVD player died so they needed one for Christmas) and a case for my HD video camera that I bought a few months ago from him (was using an old camera case for it).

While knowing him and having done business with him helped...its really just that you can talk these guys into throwing some things in for you if you tell them you can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere. Other thing I like about him, he only gives me the cursory offer of the service plan (because he is required to) but does not push it like other places seem to.

Just playing around after the battery charged last night...loving this camera and glad I went with the XSI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though you have already bought, I thought I would still answer your original question.

Live-view on a DSLR is not an important feature in my mind.

It does not work like a point and shoot and is really intended for specific applications like Macro photography.

Even though you have already bought, I thought I would still answer your original question.Live-view on a DSLR is not an important feature in my mind.It does not work like a point and shoot and is really intended for specific applications like Macro photography.
I found that out the more and more I asked about the function....thansk though.Not sure how much Id ever use that anyway...but I know it was mentioned in one other thread I think.

I'm looking at the Nikon D90 body and the Nikon 18-200mm lens, though I'm thinking that I may be insane to spend that much on my first DSLR. Does anyone have any experience with the D90?

Costco has the Canon XSi with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS lenses for 679.99. Site says 749.99 but the cart price is 679.99 if anyone else is looking.

Link.

Got my wife the Nikon D40 for Christmas. She wanted it early so she could take pictures of our daughter. It seems to be a pretty nice camera, got it for $440 on Newegg.

The XSI is the cameral I would like as well. Canon had an instant rebate last month on the 55-250mm IS lenses if you bought the camara and 18-55 lens kit. On Amazon you could get the cameranad both lens for right around $620. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I hope to find some good deals in a couple months.

Wow, amazing deals on the XSi. The prices on those have sure come down since I bought last year and Canon released the new T1i at the XSi's old price point.

R Dizzle said:
Got my wife the Nikon D40 for Christmas. She wanted it early so she could take pictures of our daughter. It seems to be a pretty nice camera, got it for $440 on Newegg.
I've talked to a couple semi-professional photographers, and both raved about the D40 at that price point. And this guy absolutely loves it.

Costco has the Canon XSi with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS lenses for 679.99. Site says 749.99 but the cart price is 679.99 if anyone else is looking.

Link.
Very nice price...was lucky that he threw stuff in and so far, less than a week in and just taking a few candids of the kids on the auto settings I am extremely happy with the purchase.Will be headed to a scenic spot this weekend to take a picture for the Christmas card.

I'm looking at the Nikon D90 body and the Nikon 18-200mm lens, though I'm thinking that I may be insane to spend that much on my first DSLR. Does anyone have any experience with the D90?
If anyone else is in the market, Amazon is now running a deal - $250 off the Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens if it is purchased with a qualifying Nikon DSLR camera. Based on the reviews I've read and feedback from a semi-pro photgrapher I know, this is a phenomenal lens that is extremely versatile.

If anyone else is in the market, Amazon is now running a deal - $250 off the Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens if it is purchased with a qualifying Nikon DSLR camera. Based on the reviews I've read and feedback from a semi-pro photgrapher I know, this is a phenomenal lens that is extremely versatile.
That's a great deal. If I was in the market for a DSLR I would jump on that. I'm kind of kicking myself for going with the 70-300 VR instead of spending the extra on the 18-200. Don't get me wrong, the 70-300 is a great lens, but it would be nice to have an all-in-one lens.

D90 + 18-200mm is an excellent setupadvantages of D90 over D5000:in body focus motor (wider range of lens options)better viewfinderlarger, higher resolution LCDslightly faster fps continuous shooting (4.5 vs. 4 fps)

How much better is the 18-200 lens over a 55-200 lens?

Best buy is running a package on the d90 for $1300, including the standard 18-105 lens and the 55-200 lens.

link

Good deal, or should I look elsewhere?

D90 + 18-200mm is an excellent setupadvantages of D90 over D5000:in body focus motor (wider range of lens options)better viewfinderlarger, higher resolution LCDslightly faster fps continuous shooting (4.5 vs. 4 fps)
Plus much better ergonomics2nd control knoblarger body, and slightly heavier

Best buy is running a package on the d90 for $1300, including the standard 18-105 lens and the 55-200 lens.

link

I just made the following purchase on Amazon: D90 body and 18-200mm lens for $1344.94. I am floored by this deal, as the $250 off was also coupled with a price drop on both the D90 body and the lens. This combo would have cost $1700 two days ago. Some may argue that you'll get marginally better results with the separate lenses, but I much prefer having a single versatile lens that I can always leave on the camera. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the 18-105 for kids' sports, and the 55-200 may make it difficult for close shots. The 18-200 covers that range without having to switch lenses.Edit to add Ken Rockwell's review on the 18-105 lens. (Note that the 18-200mm he's referencing is the prior VR version, not the new VRII model that has a zoom lock).

I'd pass on this 18-105mm lens. It's too expensive for what you get. $400 for a plastic mount lens? Not from my wallet, but if you want a light, do-almost everything lens for a DX camera and don't mind the price, this could be your ticket.

I would forget the 18-135mm since it lacks VR.

Personally I love the more expensive 18-200mm VR because it does just about everything. For only about $250 more ($650 total), the 18-200mm VR could be the only lens you ever need.

I prefer both the 18-55mm and 18-55mm VR lenses, which are both sharper and a fraction of the price! I use them when I go on vacation and want light weight. In all honesty, I don't like long lenses. The best photos come from getting close enough, not from throwing more money into a longer lens to shoot from farther away. You can make great portraits with these 18-55 lenses, and geesh, how many head shots do you need anyway? I usually shoot my people pictures at shorter zoom settings than 55mm anyway.

If you insist on soft backgrounds for portraits, none of these zooms does a particularly spectacular job. If you're doing posed portraits, you could use an old manual focus 135mm f/2.8 (about $150 used) or 80-200mm f/2.8 ($900 new) for far better results. See Portrait Lenses for more ideas.

Don't forget the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and 50mm f/1.4 AF-D, each pro lenses and each much less expensive than this zoom. Each will autofocus on every camera except the D40, D40x and D60, for which you would need the new 50mm AF-S instead.

link

I just made the following purchase on Amazon: D90 body and 18-200mm lens for $1344.94. I am floored by this deal, as the $250 off was also coupled with a price drop on both the D90 body and the lens. This combo would have cost $1700 two days ago. Some may argue that you'll get marginally better results with the separate lenses, but I much prefer having a single versatile lens that I can always leave on the camera. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the 18-105 for kids' sports, and the 55-200 may make it difficult for close shots. The 18-200 covers that range without having to switch lenses.
You will be very happy.If you decide you want dedicated lenses later, you can always buy them. That is the beauty of an SLR.

I just made the following purchase on Amazon: D90 body and 18-200mm lens for $1344.94. I am floored by this deal, as the $250 off was also coupled with a price drop on both the D90 body and the lens. This combo would have cost $1700 two days ago. Some may argue that you'll get marginally better results with the separate lenses, but I much prefer having a single versatile lens that I can always leave on the camera. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the 18-105 for kids' sports, and the 55-200 may make it difficult for close shots. The 18-200 covers that range without having to switch lenses.
Sweet - you will love it.I have the D80 with the 18-200VR and the 70-300VR. The 18-200 is on the camera 90% of the time - just a great, great lens. Worth every penny.

Sweet - you will love it.I have the D80 with the 18-200VR and the 70-300VR. The 18-200 is on the camera 90% of the time - just a great, great lens. Worth every penny.
Just curious, why do you have both of these lenses? What are the strengths/weaknesses of each, in your opinion? I have the 70-300 VR (along with the 18-55) and have been very happy with it. Would the investment in the 18-200 be worth it?

link

I just made the following purchase on Amazon: D90 body and 18-200mm lens for $1344.94. I am floored by this deal, as the $250 off was also coupled with a price drop on both the D90 body and the lens. This combo would have cost $1700 two days ago. Some may argue that you'll get marginally better results with the separate lenses, but I much prefer having a single versatile lens that I can always leave on the camera. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the 18-105 for kids' sports, and the 55-200 may make it difficult for close shots. The 18-200 covers that range without having to switch lenses.Edit to add Ken Rockwell's review on the 18-105 lens. (Note that the 18-200mm he's referencing is the prior VR version, not the new VRII model that has a zoom lock).

I'd pass on this 18-105mm lens. It's too expensive for what you get. $400 for a plastic mount lens? Not from my wallet, but if you want a light, do-almost everything lens for a DX camera and don't mind the price, this could be your ticket.

Personally I love the more expensive 18-200mm VR because it does just about everything. For only about $250 more ($650 total), the 18-200mm VR could be the only lens you ever need.

I prefer both the 18-55mm and 18-55mm VR lenses, which are both sharper and a fraction of the price! I use them when I go on vacation and want light weight. In all honesty, I don't like long lenses. The best photos come from getting close enough, not from throwing more money into a longer lens to shoot from farther away. You can make great portraits with these 18-55 lenses, and geesh, how many head shots do you need anyway? I usually shoot my people pictures at shorter zoom settings than 55mm anyway.

If you insist on soft backgrounds for portraits, none of these zooms does a particularly spectacular job. If you're doing posed portraits, you could use an old manual focus 135mm f/2.8 (about $150 used) or 80-200mm f/2.8 ($900 new) for far better results. See Portrait Lenses for more ideas.

Don't forget the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and 50mm f/1.4 AF-D, each pro lenses and each much less expensive than this zoom. Each will autofocus on every camera except the D40, D40x and D60, for which you would need the new 50mm AF-S instead.
Thanks. Just ordered the same thing.

link

Thanks. Just ordered the same thing.
:rolleyes:

That's a great deal. If I was in the market for a DSLR I would jump on that. I'm kind of kicking myself for going with the 70-300 VR instead of spending the extra on the 18-200. Don't get me wrong, the 70-300 is a great lens, but it would be nice to have an all-in-one lens.
D90 + 18-200mm is an excellent setup
You will be very happy.If you decide you want dedicated lenses later, you can always buy them. That is the beauty of an SLR.
Awesome news. Thanks for eliminating any residual apprehension I had over the purchase. Can't wait to take it for a drive!

Edit to add Ken Rockwell's review on the 18-105 lens. (Note that the 18-200mm he's referencing is the prior VR version, not the new VRII model that has a zoom lock).
This is a great deal and not having to change lenses is definately a plus (coming from a guy that has 3 different lenses).

CrossEyed said:
jwb said:
bigbottom said:
Just curious, why do you have both of these lenses? What are the strengths/weaknesses of each, in your opinion? I have the 70-300 VR (along with the 18-55) and have been very happy with it. Would the investment in the 18-200 be worth it?
The 300 is really good for wildlife / etc. That extra 100mm makes a difference. I like taking nature shots, and the 300 fits the bill for great zoom shots of birds, etc. But it's not good for walking around town on vacation, etc. My ideal setup would be:18-200vr for everyday stuff and "walking around". This is the perfect lens to take on vacation, etc - we go on cruises, and I leave the 70-300 in the cabin for zoom shots from the deck, but the 18-200 comes ashore with me. The 70-300 gets too heavy to carry all day. 70-300vr for planned nature shotsand a (still to come) wide angle for more nature stuff.

For me, not at all. In fact, I can't get used to not having a viewfinder on my camcorder. I guess I'm old school when it comes to cameras. It just doesn't feel right to not be looking through a viewfinder.
For the landscape/Nature shooting I do on a tripod I wish I had the live view. :yes: it would make it so much easier to change zoom/settings without squinting through the viewfinder trying to read the small little figures.. :pics:Without a tripod I'd hate live view.. Using the Point & Shoots out there that only have the Live View screens makes it tough to brace the camera to minimize shaking.

That is a great deal on that D90 set up...Im not the typical FBG though and that was still a lot of cash.

Very happy with my XSI purchase so far...great shots of the kids just fooling mostly with the auto settings and a little adjusting here and there as I learn (sucks that we have had such crappy weather really to get outside in some good lighting rather than indoors at night with poor lighting so much).

My final cost (after they adjusted me last night) was $699 +tax for the XSI, the 18-55 IS lens, the 55-250 IS lens, an 8GB high speed card, a small case for my HD camcorder, and a cheapo Sony DVD player for my kids.

Edit to add Ken Rockwell's review on the 18-105 lens. (Note that the 18-200mm he's referencing is the prior VR version, not the new VRII model that has a zoom lock).
This is a great deal and not having to change lenses is definately a plus (coming from a guy that has 3 different lenses).
Man you guys are missing out on one of the big advantages of using a DSLR. Different situations call for different lenses. Yeah it's great to have a general walk around lens, but I couldn't imagine it being the only one you use.

Man you guys are missing out on one of the big advantages of using a DSLR. Different situations call for different lenses. Yeah it's great to have a general walk around lens, but I couldn't imagine it being the only one you use.
The bolded is the point. I want the convenience of a general walk around lens. But I'll be adding this lens to my bag in fairly short order.

The bolded is the point. I want the convenience of a general walk around lens. But I'll be adding this lens to my bag in fairly short order.
Good choice for indoor portraits.

You probably know about the 50mm f/1.4 - costs about 2.5-3x more but faster for low light situations.From KR's review page of the 50mm f/1.8:

If you intend to use this often in low light, then by all means spring another $160 for the 50mm f/1.4 D. I shoot my 50mm f/1.4 with my D3 in available light and I really like being able to shoot at f/1.4. For use in daylight, this f/1.8 lens has less distortion and is just as sharp.

update - got the nikon d90 with the 18-200 lens. Gave it to my wife as early x-mas gift, and she loves it so far. We have a lot to learn, but even the "auto" pictures are turning out much better than the P&S.

update - got the nikon d90 with the 18-200 lens. Gave it to my wife as early x-mas gift, and she loves it so far. We have a lot to learn, but even the "auto" pictures are turning out much better than the P&S.
Got mine as well and spent this past weekend shooting three youth basketball games and my son's birthday party. The 4.5 frames per second was amazing for the basketball game. And in the auto setting, it's as easy to use as a point and shoot. Of course, I'll really be able to unlock the cameras potential once I start to control the settings myself.

I know in one of these DSLR threads people recommended a few books for newbie users...I searched several of the threads but could not find them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Had my camera since just before Christmas and love it so far...but want to learn to do more with it.

I know in one of these DSLR threads people recommended a few books for newbie users...I searched several of the threads but could not find them.Anyone have any suggestions?Had my camera since just before Christmas and love it so far...but want to learn to do more with it.
:shock: I'm looking for a few books and a good camera bag . just bought a dslr last week

I know in one of these DSLR threads people recommended a few books for newbie users...I searched several of the threads but could not find them.Anyone have any suggestions?Had my camera since just before Christmas and love it so far...but want to learn to do more with it.
:shock: I'm looking for a few books and a good camera bag . just bought a dslr last week
;) Got my XSi today, and been playing with it for hours.that's what she said.

Got mine as well and spent this past weekend shooting three youth basketball games and my son's birthday party. The 4.5 frames per second was amazing for the basketball game. And in the auto setting, it's as easy to use as a point and shoot. Of course, I'll really be able to unlock the cameras potential once I start to control the settings myself.
Just got back from a week at Disneyworld and shot a ton of pictures. Highly recommend the Lowepro Slingshot bag as I never had to take it off my back to access the camera. I could pull the camera out of my bag, take a shot and have it back in the bag and on my back in 10 seconds.Still a rookie on the camera and shooting a lot in auto mode. Plus, we were moving quickly at Disneyworld, so there wasn't a lot of time for experimentation. Here is a shot I took at Epcot. I used a circular polarizer, which made the sky a little more dramatic.

Just got back from a week at Disneyworld and shot a ton of pictures. Highly recommend the Lowepro Slingshot bag as I never had to take it off my back to take access the camera. I could pull the camera out of my bag, take a shot and have it back in the bag and on my back in 10 seconds.Still a rookie on the camera and shooting a lot in auto mode. Here is a shot I took at Epcot. I used a circular polarizer, which made the sky a little more dramatic.
Couldn't agree more. Love my Slingshot.

Users who are viewing this thread