What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (1 Viewer)

I need a hobby, so I've decided to spend my fantasy football winnings early and buy a DSLR camera and immerse myself.

Just one question: Is buying online supposed to be *that* much cheaper than buying through my local retailer. I was prepared to spend an extra Jackson or two at my local camera shop, but when pricing out an EOS Rebl T3i, I came up with $900 vs $550. Can somebody with a good grip on the jargon tell me if I'm comparing apples to apples below. Thanks much.

B & H

Local guys
Looks like one is the t3 and one is the t3iThe t3i has 18 mp vs 12 for the t3. That was the first thing that popped out

'AcerFC said:
'Mister CIA said:
I need a hobby, so I've decided to spend my fantasy football winnings early and buy a DSLR camera and immerse myself.

Just one question: Is buying online supposed to be *that* much cheaper than buying through my local retailer. I was prepared to spend an extra Jackson or two at my local camera shop, but when pricing out an EOS Rebl T3i, I came up with $900 vs $550. Can somebody with a good grip on the jargon tell me if I'm comparing apples to apples below. Thanks much.

B & H

Local guys
Looks like one is the t3 and one is the t3iThe t3i has 18 mp vs 12 for the t3. That was the first thing that popped out
'i' see. I noticed the megapixels were different, but one ad used the term "effective" megapixels, where the other did not. A quick search on '3Ti' at B&H brought up a price of $849. Call me crazy, but I think I'll go with my local brick and mortar.

Thanks!

'Mister CIA said:

B & H

Local guys
differences

'Mister CIA said:

B & H

Local guys
differences
T3 = 1100D; 1100D < 600D; 600D = T3i.This is more complicated than comparing mattress models. Still, I'm going to dive in and figure things out for myself as I go along. I just want to avoid newbie rape.

Thanks much.

I added a Nikon D7000, not sure if you are sold on Canon or not - but this camera has some pretty sweet features including being environmentally sealed (to protect the camera against the elements - i.e. rain):

camera 3-way

'Mister CIA said:
If you're just starting out but plan to immerse yourself into the hobby I wouldn't sweat the camera body so much.Do some research on a couple of quality lenses that meet the needs for the type of photography you want to shoot. Price out those lenses to find a pair that are within your budget at the best quality you can afford.If possible, rent a Canon with one(or both) of those lenses for a weekend you have free to really put it through it's paces through as wide a variety of circumstances as you can muster. Another weekend, rinse and repeat the process with a Nikon combo. Get prints from the two cameras and factor in how they "felt", how intuitive they are for you to use, etc. The big decision for you now is deciding which "family" of lenses you want to invest in. Once you've decided on a nice lens or two just get a camera body that will work with the lenses you want. You'll want to replace the camera body every few years.... the lenses(if you purchase quality and take care of them) you will keep for a lifetime. Marry the lens(be very picky), have a once night stand with the body(whatever works for now). If you plan on going DSLR but don't really want to spend a lot on lenses(nothing wrong with that - just the jump up on sensor size will give you a lot of advantages) then you might consider looking at Sony/Pentax/Etc. They make very good cameras at great prices but there just aren't as many lens options(and accessory options for that matter) as there is for Canon/Nikon. Be aware there will be some screaming deals between now and February so if you purchase soon you'll undoubtedly see a deal a few months from now that seems incredible. That's just another reason to invest in the lenses, the price on them is generally less volatile than the bodies. In a year or two when you see the screaming deal on a much better body you can take advantage of it and it will take advantage of the nice lenses you've collected.

'Mister CIA said:

B & H

Local guys
differences
I'm kind of surprised how few differences there are.- The articulated LCD would be really nice if you are into Macro photography, kind of a niche imo.

- The wireless flash control would be nice if you were planning to use off camera flash often, another niche

- The extra megapixels allows you to crop photos, but you can certainly make very large quality prints with 12mp

I added a Nikon D7000, not sure if you are sold on Canon or not - but this camera has some pretty sweet features including being environmentally sealed (to protect the camera against the elements - i.e. rain):

camera 3-way
I'm mulling over upgrading to the D7000. Currently using a D60 and I just haven't been pleased with it lately. What are your thoughts so far?

'Mister CIA said:
If you're just starting out but plan to immerse yourself into the hobby I wouldn't sweat the camera body so much.Do some research on a couple of quality lenses that meet the needs for the type of photography you want to shoot. Price out those lenses to find a pair that are within your budget at the best quality you can afford.

If possible, rent a Canon with one(or both) of those lenses for a weekend you have free to really put it through it's paces through as wide a variety of circumstances as you can muster. Another weekend, rinse and repeat the process with a Nikon combo. Get prints from the two cameras and factor in how they "felt", how intuitive they are for you to use, etc. The big decision for you now is deciding which "family" of lenses you want to invest in.

Once you've decided on a nice lens or two just get a camera body that will work with the lenses you want. You'll want to replace the camera body every few years.... the lenses(if you purchase quality and take care of them) you will keep for a lifetime. Marry the lens(be very picky), have a once night stand with the body(whatever works for now).

If you plan on going DSLR but don't really want to spend a lot on lenses(nothing wrong with that - just the jump up on sensor size will give you a lot of advantages) then you might consider looking at Sony/Pentax/Etc. They make very good cameras at great prices but there just aren't as many lens options(and accessory options for that matter) as there is for Canon/Nikon.

Be aware there will be some screaming deals between now and February so if you purchase soon you'll undoubtedly see a deal a few months from now that seems incredible. That's just another reason to invest in the lenses, the price on them is generally less volatile than the bodies. In a year or two when you see the screaming deal on a much better body you can take advantage of it and it will take advantage of the nice lenses you've collected.
You might want to, but you really don't need to. I'm still using a Nikon D50 that I purchased in 2005. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.Agree with everything else. :thumbup:

camera 3-way
I'm mulling over upgrading to the D7000. Currently using a D60 and I just haven't been pleased with it lately. What are your thoughts so far?
I don't own it, but everything I have read makes it sound like an incredible value. I currently use a D90 and I would not recommend upgrading to this since it would probably only be a slight upgrade. Plus based on shots I have seen you take I should not be giving you advice ;)

This is a nice deal on a pretty nice compliment to the kit lens on a Canon...

"Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD Camera Lens for Canon DSLR $339.95AR

Buydig.com has the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD DSLR Camera Lens for Canon EOS for a low $339.95 after rebate and $15 off Coupon Code: BUYDIGCLUB15 (Ongoing). Tax in NJ. [Compare Prices]

Tamron's 60th Anniversary Model:

Best-in-class optical performance

High res through use of XLD glass

USD motor for fast and quiet AF

VC anti-shake mechanism for steady shooting

SP class specifications

Dual format Di design for use on fullframe and smaller sensor cameras

109-465mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras

$50 rebate Exp 12/31/11 "

... here is a pretty nice review of the lens...

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/583-tamron70300f456eosff

.... and it gets very high satisfaction marks on Amazon. Pair the kit lens with that and maybe this...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=pd_sim_e_28

... and that's a pretty good inexpensive start for the uses of a majority of people. If you aren't picky about your first camera body you could start with a package like this...

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204269_-1

You would have an Image Stabilized wide zoom, quality Image Stablized telephoto zoom, fast prime lens and enough megapixels to print larger than most people usually ever want to for under $900.

If you're just starting out but plan to immerse yourself into the hobby I wouldn't sweat the camera body so much.Do some research on a couple of quality lenses that meet the needs for the type of photography you want to shoot. Price out those lenses to find a pair that are within your budget at the best quality you can afford.

If possible, rent a Canon with one(or both) of those lenses for a weekend you have free to really put it through it's paces through as wide a variety of circumstances as you can muster. Another weekend, rinse and repeat the process with a Nikon combo. Get prints from the two cameras and factor in how they "felt", how intuitive they are for you to use, etc. The big decision for you now is deciding which "family" of lenses you want to invest in.

Once you've decided on a nice lens or two just get a camera body that will work with the lenses you want. You'll want to replace the camera body every few years.... the lenses(if you purchase quality and take care of them) you will keep for a lifetime. Marry the lens(be very picky), have a once night stand with the body(whatever works for now).

If you plan on going DSLR but don't really want to spend a lot on lenses(nothing wrong with that - just the jump up on sensor size will give you a lot of advantages) then you might consider looking at Sony/Pentax/Etc. They make very good cameras at great prices but there just aren't as many lens options(and accessory options for that matter) as there is for Canon/Nikon.

Be aware there will be some screaming deals between now and February so if you purchase soon you'll undoubtedly see a deal a few months from now that seems incredible. That's just another reason to invest in the lenses, the price on them is generally less volatile than the bodies. In a year or two when you see the screaming deal on a much better body you can take advantage of it and it will take advantage of the nice lenses you've collected.
Can you elaborate on this please. Is this a seasonal thing? New models come out before the holidays? Are the great deals to be had after the new year? Thanks.

What would be a good warming and polarizing filter for a Canon T1i? I am wanting something for landscapes and fall colors. I found theses on amazon.

My link

My link
bump
I bought this one a little bit ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSJTZAI haven't used it much yet, but it was tied for highest rated at lenstip and much cheaper than the competition: http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

'Mister CIA said:

Can you elaborate on this please. Is this a seasonal thing? New models come out before the holidays? Are the great deals to be had after the new year? Thanks.
Yes. New models typically come out in the fall.

I'm liking my new D5100 but I can see the limitations of the 18-55mm lens for portraits. Having a hard time getting the background to completely blur even in A mode. Maybe I should try spot metering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok kids. I think I've decided on the Cannon Rebel T2i body. I'm looking for a camera to take good pictures of the new baby. There is a package that comes with a stock 18-55mm zoom, but I can also get just the body and a nicer lens. Since this will be primarily for the kid and indoors for a while, what lens would you recommend? I don't' think I need a zoom that goes to 200mm just yet. I'd like to get the best glass/length/price ratio for people shots right now and I can upgrade later when the kid is running away from me. Thoughts?
I recently bought a T3 with 18-55 and 55-250 zooms. Both lens have a very good reputation IQ wise and are great bang for buck.For my next lens I am leaning towards the Canon EF 35mm F/2, seems more versatile on a crop body than a 50mm.

'bigbottom said:
Looking for a good quality fixed portrait lens for my D90. What are you guys using?
Went back and forth between buying the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8. Ended up getting the 35mm and have been very pleased with it. Probably can't go wrong with either. I decided I'd rather have to move a bit closer to get what I want rather than to not be able to get far enough away to get what I want.

'bigbottom said:
Looking for a good quality fixed portrait lens for my D90. What are you guys using?
Went back and forth between buying the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8. Ended up getting the 35mm and have been very pleased with it. Probably can't go wrong with either. I decided I'd rather have to move a bit closer to get what I want rather than to not be able to get far enough away to get what I want.
When I went to an Adorama workshop with a Nikon guy, he said that he thought the 85mm prime was the perfect portrait lens

'bigbottom said:
When I went to an Adorama workshop with a Nikon guy, he said that he thought the 85mm prime was the perfect portrait lens
I'm sure if you have a studio and are doing professional portraits that would be true. For me, that would be too much lens. It all depends on what your situation is.

'bigbottom said:
I'm sure if you have a studio and are doing professional portraits that would be true. For me, that would be too much lens. It all depends on what your situation is.
I have the 50mm 1.4. I think that's the sweet spot. Although the 1.8 is probably fine. I'm not sure that little extra is worth the $200 more the 1.4 costs. Hard to say, but I really like the lens a lot. 50mm is perfect.decent pic with it

Last edited by a moderator:
'bigbottom said:
I've got the 35mm 1.8 too. I use it a lot. Takes great pictures.

'Mister CIA said:

Yes. New models typically come out in the fall.
Also, there are typically specials just before and just after Christmas. Retail is very seasonal.

'bigbottom said:
Was he using a full frame or APS-C size sensor camera?

I'm liking my new D5100 but I can see the limitations of the 18-55mm lens for portraits. Having a hard time getting the background to completely blur even in A mode. Maybe I should try spot metering?
I just bought this camera. I wish I could help answer your questions. Love the camera so far though.

'bigbottom said:
I have the 50mm 1.4. I think that's the sweet spot. Although the 1.8 is probably fine. I'm not sure that little extra is worth the $200 more the 1.4 costs. Hard to say, but I really like the lens a lot. 50mm is perfect.decent pic with it
:goodposting: Love that lens (although it doesn't have an autofocus motor in it, so I have to manually focus with my D60). And yes, it's great for cat photos.

Here are some good tips...http://www.photoble.com/photography-tips-tricks/how-to-7-quick-tips-to-create-bokeh-with-digital-camerahttp://www.advancedphotography.net/bokeh-effect-6-tips-create-bokeh-effect/

'BoltBacker said:
Here are some good tips...http://www.photoble.com/photography-tips-tricks/how-to-7-quick-tips-to-create-bokeh-with-digital-camerahttp://www.advancedphotography.net/bokeh-effect-6-tips-create-bokeh-effect/
thank you.

Was he using a full frame or APS-C size sensor camera?
not sure

I am going to be taking some pictures of the fall colors and have a warming filter that I will be using. I have a UV filter on my camera. Should these be used together or separately? If together, in what order? Thanks

I am going to be taking some pictures of the fall colors and have a warming filter that I will be using. I have a UV filter on my camera. Should these be used together or separately? If together, in what order? Thanks
I don't think UV filter does much other than protect lens from scratches

Question 1: got my new camera and I've uploaded pics to Picasa. Using Chrome for personal use, and using IE to represent the public view. There's a definite drop-off in pic quality between what I see in Chrome and what I see in IE. Am I using the wrong approach?

Question 2: (and the answer to this may answer question #1, is there a reason flickr dominates picasa in the links I've followed in the Dig Pic of the Day thread?

Thanks

'Mister CIA said:
Question 1: got my new camera and I've uploaded pics to Picasa. Using Chrome for personal use, and using IE to represent the public view. There's a definite drop-off in pic quality between what I see in Chrome and what I see in IE. Am I using the wrong approach?Question 2: (and the answer to this may answer question #1, is there a reason flickr dominates picasa in the links I've followed in the Dig Pic of the Day thread?Thanks
I use Picasa and I've never seen a noticeable difference. I just did a test here at my office with identical monitors side by side and did IE in one and Firefox in the other: IE has a little more noise, but it is minor. I think Flickr is more popular since it was the first major photo sharing service and it has more users contributing to feedback on photos (it's a bigger community). I use both Picasa and Flickr and find Picasa to be a much better experience, but I wouldn't knock someone for using Flickr exclusively.

'Mister CIA said:
Question 1: got my new camera and I've uploaded pics to Picasa. Using Chrome for personal use, and using IE to represent the public view. There's a definite drop-off in pic quality between what I see in Chrome and what I see in IE. Am I using the wrong approach?

Question 2: (and the answer to this may answer question #1, is there a reason flickr dominates picasa in the links I've followed in the Dig Pic of the Day thread?

Thanks
I use Picasa and I've never seen a noticeable difference. I just did a test here at my office with identical monitors side by side and did IE in one and Firefox in the other: IE has a little more noise, but it is minor. I think Flickr is more popular since it was the first major photo sharing service and it has more users contributing to feedback on photos (it's a bigger community). I use both Picasa and Flickr and find Picasa to be a much better experience, but I wouldn't knock someone for using Flickr exclusively.
Thanks for the feedback. Clicking on full-screen mode improved the view, which I posted in the pic of the day thread.Direct link to my stroll around the hood collection.

'Mister CIA said:
Question 1: got my new camera and I've uploaded pics to Picasa. Using Chrome for personal use, and using IE to represent the public view. There's a definite drop-off in pic quality between what I see in Chrome and what I see in IE. Am I using the wrong approach?Question 2: (and the answer to this may answer question #1, is there a reason flickr dominates picasa in the links I've followed in the Dig Pic of the Day thread?Thanks
For me, Flickr is less work since it is directly integrated with Aperture. As soon as I get done editing a photo I click on the Flickr button and it's added to my Flickr account. Makes Flickr a no-brainer for me.

What's a good software or process for managing photos? I've been using Windows Live, but also have PS Elements and the Canon software. It's getting to the point where it's more of a chore and I want to make the right choice going forward. Is Photoshop Elements any good for this task? It seems like importing the photos and setting up albums is redundant with the directory/file structure that you already have to use. Integrating with Flickr would be great too.

Any ideas on this topic???

I started to start a new topic, but I thought I might find an answer here.

What would you recommend for an expecting first time father noob, that is easy on the wallet (Black Friday deals, maybe?), takes great pictures, and can capture video in 1080p? I would love to jump in on one of these with the baby coming soon, but I know I can't spend a whole lot.

I started to start a new topic, but I thought I might find an answer here.What would you recommend for an expecting first time father noob, that is easy on the wallet (Black Friday deals, maybe?), takes great pictures, and can capture video in 1080p? I would love to jump in on one of these with the baby coming soon, but I know I can't spend a whole lot.
Can't speak to the video aspect, but with kids don't waste your time on a P&S. They just aren't fast enough and you'll miss too many shots that you can't get back. Go with a DSLR. It's a bigger investment up front, but it will last you for years. I'm still using my old Nikon d50 from 2005 and it takes great pictures.

What's a good software or process for managing photos? I've been using Windows Live, but also have PS Elements and the Canon software. It's getting to the point where it's more of a chore and I want to make the right choice going forward. Is Photoshop Elements any good for this task? It seems like importing the photos and setting up albums is redundant with the directory/file structure that you already have to use. Integrating with Flickr would be great too. Any ideas on this topic???
I think Lightroom, Aperture and Picasa are the most common tools. Aperture is the best esp. if you deal with RAW images, but it's $200. I like Picasa, because it's free and I love how it organizes the pictures.

'ODoyleRules said:
'guderian said:
What's a good software or process for managing photos? I've been using Windows Live, but also have PS Elements and the Canon software. It's getting to the point where it's more of a chore and I want to make the right choice going forward. Is Photoshop Elements any good for this task? It seems like importing the photos and setting up albums is redundant with the directory/file structure that you already have to use. Integrating with Flickr would be great too.

Any ideas on this topic???
I think Lightroom, Aperture and Picasa are the most common tools. Aperture is the best esp. if you deal with RAW images, but it's $200. I like Picasa, because it's free and I love how it organizes the pictures.
Aperture is $79 at the App Store.

Users who are viewing this thread