What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unemployment lowest since 2008 (4 Viewers)

The economy is creating so few jobs that millions are staying out of the labor market, thereby prevent the unemployment rate from soaring. In September we created a measly 114,000 jobs, but the rate declined to 7.8 percent. Consider that if labor force participation had held even since January (when it was 8.3 percent), the jobless rate would be 8.4 percent. If the job participation rate were the same as when Barack Obama took office, the rate would be 10.7 percent. The broader U-6 rate (unemployed plus total employed part time for economic reasons) held steady at 14.7 percent. Obama can spin the numbers anyway he likes, but this is not an economic “recovery” in a meaningful sense. We are adding fewer jobs on average per month than we did last year (143,00 vs. 153,000).

Federal Reserve policy is pumping up the stock market.

And personally I don't think the job numbers are rigged. I think they refelect exactly what is going on in the country. People are settling for part time and/or low paying full time work. The middle class jobs they used to have aren't coming back.
I agree with you. The bigger questions are: Where did these jobs go? And why aren't they coming back?
Because companies- like the one I work for- are putting the screws to the workforce, trying to get water from a stone. And it's working. The share holders love it. They know very few will just up and leave given the market. Any that do just make it easier to maximize productivity insanity.
And automation is exploding, making many jobs obsolete.
Making the economy NOT always the reason for a lack of jobs/upward trend in unemployment. Or at least not declining revenues. Employers can give a rats ### about the workforce these days. Many have found that they can do better with less but more abused employees. What's a POTUS to do?
I think the POTUS should commit to investing in education/retraining, improving infrastructure, and reducing barriers to entry which allow the companies and industries of tomorrow to be built and thrive in a competitive marketplace.
Exactly. BUT WHAT ABOUT NOW!!11!!!
So, just to be clear, you think everyone should be content with the results over the past 4 years. No one should voice displeasure over the numbers. Just let everything work itself out, it'll all be good. What would be a good timeline in your opinion? The end of Obama's second term? Give Hillary a chance to carry on what Obama has started in 2016? Hillary's second term?
I want to see negative momentum slowed. The manner in which the economy took a dive and unemployment rose just might mean we NEVER get back to the way we were.
I think it'll be like 20 years, after the baby-boomers die off (I'm on the tail end of that)before we come close to getting back to good times. But that's not what I'm asking. You, and many others, criticise people who aren't happy with the way things are going. We want it now, now, now! Are you saying you are 100% fine with the way things are going with the economy, there should be no criticism, let's just let things work out. I think if Obama is re-elected, we are headed into a lost decade. I have no confidence that he can turn this around.

Federal Reserve policy is pumping up the stock market.

And personally I don't think the job numbers are rigged. I think they refelect exactly what is going on in the country. People are settling for part time and/or low paying full time work. The middle class jobs they used to have aren't coming back.
I agree with you. The bigger questions are: Where did these jobs go? And why aren't they coming back?
Because companies- like the one I work for- are putting the screws to the workforce, trying to get water from a stone. And it's working. The share holders love it. They know very few will just up and leave given the market. Any that do just make it easier to maximize productivity insanity.
And automation is exploding, making many jobs obsolete.
Making the economy NOT always the reason for a lack of jobs/upward trend in unemployment. Or at least not declining revenues. Employers can give a rats ### about the workforce these days. Many have found that they can do better with less but more abused employees. What's a POTUS to do?
I think the POTUS should commit to investing in education/retraining, improving infrastructure, and reducing barriers to entry which allow the companies and industries of tomorrow to be built and thrive in a competitive marketplace.
Exactly. BUT WHAT ABOUT NOW!!11!!!
So, just to be clear, you think everyone should be content with the results over the past 4 years. No one should voice displeasure over the numbers. Just let everything work itself out, it'll all be good. What would be a good timeline in your opinion? The end of Obama's second term? Give Hillary a chance to carry on what Obama has started in 2016? Hillary's second term?
I want to see negative momentum slowed. The manner in which the economy took a dive and unemployment rose just might mean we NEVER get back to the way we were.
I think it'll be like 20 years, after the baby-boomers die off (I'm on the tail end of that)before we come close to getting back to good times. But that's not what I'm asking. You, and many others, criticise people who aren't happy with the way things are going. We want it now, now, now! Are you saying you are 100% fine with the way things are going with the economy, there should be no criticism, let's just let things work out. I think if Obama is re-elected, we are headed into a lost decade. I have no confidence that he can turn this around.
I don't criticize people who aren't happy with the way things are going. I just point out what I think are unreasonable expectations given the circumstances. I'm fortunate to still have a job, so I guess that "skews" my thinking somewhat. I'm more concerned about the rest of the platform.

Senile old coot using twitter while shopping for his casket:

Jack Welch, the former CEO of General Electric (GE), caused a stir after the numbers were released, tweeting "Unbelievable jobs numbers...these Chicago guys will do anything...can't debate so change numbers."

:lmao: Just die already.

I don't criticize people who aren't happy with the way things are going. I just point out what I think are unreasonable expectations given the circumstances. I'm fortunate to still have a job, so I guess that "skews" my thinking somewhat. I'm more concerned about the rest of the platform.
To be fair, a big part of the reason people may have unreasonable expectations is because we were given unreasonable expectations by this administration. I know, the standard response is "but things were much worse than we thought", however that doesn't change what was said.

Last edited by a moderator:
So weekly jobless claims go up and we're supposed to believe that the Household Survey added +873K jobs, the highest level since 1983?

These guys are shameless.
I thought this was interesting... From the CNBC article:
Employers are expected to have added 113,000 jobs to their payrolls in September, an increase from 96,000 in August, with the unemployment rate edging up by a tenth of a percentage point to 8.2 percent, according to a Reuters survey of economists.
Just about dead-on for the added jobs, but .4% off on the unemployment rate? Thats a huge jump.
It was the largest single month change in the unemployment rate in 29 years. Bull****.Does anybody here honestly think that our present economy is performing anywhere close the Reagan recovery of the early 1980's?
Yes, I'm sure the Obama administration is planning on fooling the public and winning an election all via an exotic statistic that has historically been ignored because it flucuates so wildly: http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-05/odd-arima-x-12-statistical-aberration
•Household Survey people employed: +873,000 (source)

•Part-time jobs for economic reasons: +582,000 (source)

-> 582,000 divided by 873,000 = 0.666666666666*

Aka: precisely two thirds. Whatever are the odds...
Make up your mind, too high, or too precise? Only so many shooters can fit on a grassy knoll.

To be fair, a big part of the reason people may have unreasonable expectations is because we were given unreasonable expectations by this administration. I know, the standard response is "but things were much worse than we thought", however that doesn't change what was said.
What was also said referred to different directions on social issues as well. See "rest of platform" above.

What was also said referred to different directions on social issues as well. See "rest of platform" above.
See title of thread and pretty much every post in it, including yours. Weren't you just talking about unreasonable expectations with jobs and the economy?

So weekly jobless claims go up and we're supposed to believe that the Household Survey added +873K jobs, the highest level since 1983?

These guys are shameless.
I thought this was interesting... From the CNBC article:
Employers are expected to have added 113,000 jobs to their payrolls in September, an increase from 96,000 in August, with the unemployment rate edging up by a tenth of a percentage point to 8.2 percent, according to a Reuters survey of economists.
Just about dead-on for the added jobs, but .4% off on the unemployment rate? Thats a huge jump.
It was the largest single month change in the unemployment rate in 29 years. Bull****.Does anybody here honestly think that our present economy is performing anywhere close the Reagan recovery of the early 1980's?
Yes, I'm sure the Obama administration is planning on fooling the public and winning an election all via an exotic statistic that has historically been ignored because it flucuates so wildly: http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-05/odd-arima-x-12-statistical-aberration
•Household Survey people employed: +873,000 (source)

•Part-time jobs for economic reasons: +582,000 (source)

-> 582,000 divided by 873,000 = 0.666666666666*

Aka: precisely two thirds. Whatever are the odds...
Make up your mind, too high, or too precise? Only so many shooters can fit on a grassy knoll.
Not sure what you are suggesting here.Every 1 increase in part time jobs equates precisely to a 1.5 increase in household survey jobs.

It doesn't take a lot of shooters on a grassy knoll to make those numbers too high.

It just takes one person changing one cell value in a spread sheet, and the numbers in other cells increase as well.

Has the Lockheed Martin story made the ffa rounds yet?
Obama To Defense Contractors: Skip The Pink SlipsBlatant law breaking for political expediency.
Today, Lockheed Martin is singing a different tune, having been assured by the Obama administration that they can lay off employees after the election without having to furnish them the legally required layoff notice before the election. They were also told the federal government will pay any legal bills that result, an attempt to buy the election with taxpayer money.
Our tax dollars hard at work.. :thumbup: I can't believe people still think either party gives a bleep about the average Joe.
Any article that begins "Our lawless president" is certainly one that I'll take as serious, unbiased and completely factual.

Regardless of what people think of the numbers (i.e. legit, not legit, etc.), that number can't do anything but help Obama.
Still on pace to add less jobs than last year. :shrug:
You're correct, and as with pretty much all of these reports they contain both positives and negatives, but he's also correct. Most people have no interest in digging behind the headline number, nor would they understand it if they did, so this pretty much has to be a positive for Obama politically.

See title of thread and pretty much every post in it, including yours. Weren't you just talking about unreasonable expectations with jobs and the economy?
Yes. I meant that I'm not willing to change horses mid stream/recovery when I take into account what comes with each candidate.

Obama To Defense Contractors: Skip The Pink SlipsBlatant law breaking for political expediency.
Today, Lockheed Martin is singing a different tune, having been assured by the Obama administration that they can lay off employees after the election without having to furnish them the legally required layoff notice before the election. They were also told the federal government will pay any legal bills that result, an attempt to buy the election with taxpayer money.
Our tax dollars hard at work.. :thumbup: I can't believe people still think either party gives a bleep about the average Joe.
Any article that begins "Our lawless president" is certainly one that I'll take as serious, unbiased and completely factual.
It's an editorial from Investors.com, a non-partisan site. Feel free to debunk any of its claims as non-factual if you can.

Regardless of what people think of the numbers (i.e. legit, not legit, etc.), that number can't do anything but help Obama.
You're correct, and as with pretty much all of these reports they contain both positives and negatives, but he's also correct. Most people have no interest in digging behind the headline number, nor would they understand it if they did, so this pretty much has to be a positive for Obama politically.
Only if the media spins it as a positive. Which they will, of course.

Timmy, Your thread title is misleading at best. Losing LESS jobs is not the same as unemployment decreasing. You realize that if 100% of everyone was laid off this week then next week new claims would be ZERO. Would that mean unemployment was decreasing?
You make a good point, but I was not trying to be deliberately misleading. As you know, this is how everyone reports it. I got the title from the AP story.
Just because the AP has dumb writers doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Learn to think for yourself.
Gee, thanks for the advice.Do you consider this to be good news?
The real number will go up once they adjust it next Thursday, as they always do.

Yes. I meant that I'm not willing to change horses mid stream/recovery when I take into account what comes with each candidate.
Okay, but again, we were talking about unreasonable expectations for jobs and the economy, not who you're voting for. Nevermind I guess.

It's an editorial from Investors.com, a non-partisan site. Feel free to debunk any of its claims as non-factual if you can.
It's an IBD editorial. If you reprint something here, does that make it from the FFA?

Only if the media spins it as a positive. Which they will, of course.
That would help him as well, but most people will just see the 7.8% number without any spin one way or the other and view it as a positive.

So Obama has worked his way back up to Bush at his worst?
No. From twitter: The scorecard: Private sector job growth under Bush: -646k. Under Obama: +967k.
I think you're forgetting GW Bush was in fact dumb as a rock but he was handed the aftermath following the dot com crash and the fall after the climax of the housing bubble his predecessor put in motion. Assuming your quoted numbers are accurate.

It's an IBD editorial. If you reprint something here, does that make it from the FFA?
1. Huh?

2. For all the liberals who refuse to accept information outside of government approved sources, "At White House Request, Lockheed Martin Drops Plan to Issue Layoff Notices."

No. From twitter: The scorecard: Private sector job growth under Bush: -646k. Under Obama: +967k.
I think you're forgetting GW Bush was in fact dumb as a rock but he was handed the aftermath following the dot com crash and the fall after the climax of the housing bubble his predecessor put in motion. Assuming your quoted numbers are accurate.
So Bush should blame Clinton for his predicament....but Obama shouldn't blame Bush for his?

So Bush should blame Clinton for his predicament....but Obama shouldn't blame Bush for his?
They all made mistakes. It seems everyone blames Bush, but all three played a role.

Solid Jobs Report Spawns Crackpot ‘Job Truthers’ Movement

BENJY SARLIN OCTOBER 5, 2012, 10:17 AM 15809

The economy added 114,000 jobs in September and unemployment declined to 7.8 percent. Not great numbers, but paired with major upward revisions to previous monthly reports and taken in the context of a slowly recovering economy, the report was viewed as good news for America.

Unless, of course, you were hoping for bad news. And apparently quite a few of President Obama’s critics were — so much so that they suggested the Bureau of Labor Statistics was part of a vast conspiracy.

“Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can’t debate so change numbers,” he said on Twitter.

He had some friends in Congress too. Rep. Allen West (R-FL) tweeted “I agree with former GE CEO Jack Welch, Chicago style politics is at work here.” He added on Facebook that the jobs report was “Orwellian to say the least and representative of Saul Alinsky tactics from the book ‘Rules for Radicals.’”

FOX News’ Stuart Varney apparently sensed where his audience was going. Within minutes of their release he told viewers that “there is widespread mistrust of this report and these numbers.”

“How convenient the rate drops below 8% [for the] first time in 43 months, five weeks before the election,” he added later.

CNBC host Jim Carmer said he was pilloried by viewers for defending the BLS report’s integrity.

“This is very hot. You believe the number, you must be a card-carrying Communist,” he joked on the air.

Betsey Stevenson, a former chief economist at the Department of Labor under President Obama, said in a phone interview with TPM that the conspiracy theories were misguided in just about every way possible. For starters, the Bureau of Labor Statistics isn’t currently run by a political appointee. For most of Obama’s term, the commissioner was a holdover appointed by President Bush. The current acting commissioner John Gavin is a career BLS economist, not an Obama appointee.

The underlying data behind the BLS reports is also publicly released and used by analysts across the private sector and academia, meaning a conspiracy would have to survive scrutiny from trained economists of all political stripes.

Nor is there much time to cook the books at the top level if they wanted to.

“I worked for Secretary Hilda Solis and she didn’t know the job numbers until 8 a.m. on the day,” Stevenson said. “Which made my job very difficult, because I had to help her figure out what she was going to say when they were released.” The BLS releases the numbers publicly at 8:30 a.m. ET.
link

They all made mistakes. It seems everyone blames Bush, but all three played a role.
Gotcha....I don't disagree with that. Every President leaves the next one a gold platter covered with crap. But....the general consensus amongst Republicans seems to be that Obama(and his supporters) shouldn't blame Bush for ANYTHING that has influenced Obamas first term. If Romney wins....It'll be interesting to see if the Republicans back off their "You can't blame the former President" memo if Romney's America struggles.

1. Huh?

2. For all the liberals who refuse to accept information outside of government approved sources, "At White House Request, Lockheed Martin Drops Plan to Issue Layoff Notices."
The guidance issued Friday told contractors that if the automatic cuts happen and contractors lay off employees the government will cover certain liability and litigation costs in the event the contractor is later sued because it hadn’t provided adequate legal warning to its employees, but only if the contractor abides by the administration’s notice and refrains from warning employees now.
Nothing to see here.. Move along :whistle:

The economy added 114,000 jobs in September and unemployment declined to 7.8 percent. Not great numbers, but paired with major upward revisions to previous monthly reports and taken in the context of a slowly recovering economy, the report was viewed as good news for America.

Unless, of course, you were hoping for bad news. And apparently quite a few of President Obama’s critics were — so much so that they suggested the Bureau of Labor Statistics was part of a vast conspiracy.

“Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can’t debate so change numbers,” he said on Twitter.

He had some friends in Congress too. Rep. Allen West (R-FL) tweeted “I agree with former GE CEO Jack Welch, Chicago style politics is at work here.” He added on Facebook that the jobs report was “Orwellian to say the least and representative of Saul Alinsky tactics from the book ‘Rules for Radicals.’”

FOX News’ Stuart Varney apparently sensed where his audience was going. Within minutes of their release he told viewers that “there is widespread mistrust of this report and these numbers.”

“How convenient the rate drops below 8% [for the] first time in 43 months, five weeks before the election,” he added later.

CNBC host Jim Carmer said he was pilloried by viewers for defending the BLS report’s integrity.

“This is very hot. You believe the number, you must be a card-carrying Communist,” he joked on the air.

Betsey Stevenson, a former chief economist at the Department of Labor under President Obama, said in a phone interview with TPM that the conspiracy theories were misguided in just about every way possible. For starters, the Bureau of Labor Statistics isn’t currently run by a political appointee. For most of Obama’s term, the commissioner was a holdover appointed by President Bush. The current acting commissioner John Gavin is a career BLS economist, not an Obama appointee.

The underlying data behind the BLS reports is also publicly released and used by analysts across the private sector and academia, meaning a conspiracy would have to survive scrutiny from trained economists of all political stripes.

Nor is there much time to cook the books at the top level if they wanted to.

“I worked for Secretary Hilda Solis and she didn’t know the job numbers until 8 a.m. on the day,” Stevenson said. “Which made my job very difficult, because I had to help her figure out what she was going to say when they were released.” The BLS releases the numbers publicly at 8:30 a.m. ET.
link
:lol: Jim Cramer was hilarious this morning.

Gotcha....I don't disagree with that. Every President leaves the next one a gold platter covered with crap. But....the general consensus amongst Republicans seems to be that Obama(and his supporters) shouldn't blame Bush for ANYTHING that has influenced Obamas first term. If Romney wins....It'll be interesting to see if the Republicans back off their "You can't blame the former President" memo if Romney's America struggles.
Romney would be getting an economy on a better path than either Bush or Obama, IMO.

7.8%? That's excellent news.
Only if you get excited about part time work paying less than $8 per hour in place of full time work paying over $12 per hour with benefits. Yeah, great. :rolleyes:
You guys understand that THESE types of jobs, the ones you are scoffing at right now, are the exact kind of jobs Romney's talking about creating with his trickle down approach right? I swear the partisan hackery knows no bounds.

two serious questions:

1. What is the reconciliation between the two two numbers - the big one and the 114K?

2. What does this mean for QE3? Is it relevant?

I complained a bit in another thread about that, and it is fishy, but those layoffs will not happen. Neither party is prepared to actually accept those automatic cuts they agreed to.

Romney would be getting an economy on a better path than either Bush or Obama, IMO.
Then you'll probably have a lot of Obama supporters claiming that he did all the heavy lifting and Romney just reaped the benefits.

Here is a very specific reason why the re-election of Barack Obama will lead to an almost immediate increase in job losses: under the agreement reached last summer, if no further bipartisan agreement is reached, there will be, for the first time, significant cuts to defense spending. This means existing projects will be closed down or reduced, and base closures as well. Keep in mind that, in many communities, these projects and bases not only provide jobs directly, but also help to support the private economy.

I can pretty much guarantee that if Obama wins, there will be no bipartisan agreement, and these cuts will go into effect. That's not entirely his fault: IMO, it is much more the fault of Republican intransigence. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation. It also doesn't mean for sure that a Romney presidency will be able to avoid the coming impasse. But I believe his chances of doing so are higher.

From Ezra Klein at Washington Post:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/10/05/september-jobs-report-debunking-the-jobs-report-conspiracy-theories/?hpid=z1

September jobs report: Debunking the jobs report conspiracy theories

Let’s get one thing out of the way: The data was not, as Jack Welch suggested in a now-infamous tweet, manipulated. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is set up to ensure the White House has no ability to influence it. As labor economist Betsey Stevenson wrote, “anyone who thinks that political folks can manipulate the unemployment data are completely ignorant of how the BLS works and how the data are compiled.” Plus, if the White House somehow was manipulating the data, don’t you think they would have made the payroll number look a bit better than 114,000? No one would have batted an eye at 160,000.

two serious questions:

1. What is the reconciliation between the two two numbers - the big one and the 114K?

2. What does this mean for QE3? Is it relevant?
1. There are two completely seperate surveys that the BLS conducts to derive these figures. The unemployment rate is derived from the household survey and attempts to sample the amount of people entering/leaving jobs and the labor force. The establishment survey is where you get the payroll figures and it is a sample of the people being added to or taken away from the payrolls of businesses. These surveys have very different ways and methods of measuring the labor markets and can often diverge. One example would be that employment at start-ups would typically be picked up in the household survey before the establishment survey. You can find out more here: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm1b. Alternate private sector surveys are conducted by Gallup and ADP, among others, that can provide a reasonable check to the data published by the BLS.

2. A falling unemployment rate will (all else equal) lessen the duration of QE3 and Zero Interest Rate Policy.

You never believe Obama has anything to do with anything. :wall:
To be fair, if you were to list every problem we face followed by the commnet "the President doesn't have anything to do with that" you'd be right more often than if you followed every problem with "it's all the President's fault" :shrug:

Here is a very specific reason why the re-election of Barack Obama will lead to an almost immediate increase in job losses: under the agreement reached last summer, if no further bipartisan agreement is reached, there will be, for the first time, significant cuts to defense spending. This means existing projects will be closed down or reduced, and base closures as well. Keep in mind that, in many communities, these projects and bases not only provide jobs directly, but also help to support the private economy.

I can pretty much guarantee that if Obama wins, there will be no bipartisan agreement, and these cuts will go into effect. That's not entirely his fault: IMO, it is much more the fault of Republican intransigence. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation. It also doesn't mean for sure that a Romney presidency will be able to avoid the coming impasse. But I believe his chances of doing so are higher.
I think you're wrong here. If Obama wins, it will send a crystal clear message to the Repubs that this strategy of refusal to play doesn't work with the voters.Plus, these deadline issues always get resolved, no matter how poorly, before the catastrophic deadline is reached. No one wins if we go off the fiscal cliff, and they will undoubtedly find a way to just kick the can down the road a bit further.

Users who are viewing this thread