What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

DCThunder

Footballguy
Might as well get this ball started on New Years Eve. A new decade and a new start for the Burgundy and Gold.

First two questions:

Will Zorn fly home with the team?

and

When will Skeletor be name coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes, of course. He's not a serial killer and he's got stuff to wrap up, players and coaches to say goodbye to, and drawers to clean out.

2. My guess would be Zorn being fired on Monday, Zorn doing a final interview/press conference, and a Shanahan hiring being announced within the following 24 hours.

Question 3: Who will they hire to handle personnel, and when?

Question 4: Will all the coaching staff be let go as well?

To an outsider, that defense looks like it just needs a few minor tweaks with role players, but that offense is atrocious. DO Redskins homers think there will be a complete overhaul on offense, including at quarterback?

Where we're coming from.

There's no need to sugarcoat it: This has been the team's worst season in nearly half a century.

Oh, sure, the Redskins have endured seasons with lower winning percentages, but whether this squad finishes 4-12 or 5-11 is pretty much irrelevant. I've followed the team closely for four decades now and have researched its full history, and I've never seen such fan disenchantment. When you combine the ineptitude on the field with the turbulence and acrimony off it, it is clear that Washington's premier sports franchise has become dysfunctional. Our beloved Redskins have fallen far and fast.

To an outsider, that defense looks like it just needs a few minor tweaks with role players, but that offense is atrocious. DO Redskins homers think there will be a complete overhaul on offense, including at quarterback?
I think the team has multiple needs much greater than at QB, but I do think they'll draft a QB anyway. Campbell may or may not be signed to be a caretaker starter. I honestly don't think Campbell will want to stay. The rest of the offense has some players worth keeping but not a lot of them. I think Chris Samuels will retire. If they try to re-sign Randy Thomas (which would be insane) he'll likely injure himself picking up the pen. Rabach and Dockery should remain, they don't have anyone better. The rest of the O-lineman may well go, they're that bad. 2 good TE's is a luxury so they may trade Cooley or Davis. I'd expect some new faces at RB next year, but my guess is that Portis will be back at a reduced salary. Randle El should be gone, with Thomas and Kelly remaining.

The defense is NOT as good as it looks on paper. The DL is better than average when everyone is healthy and when Fat Albert decides to play. But he's hurt at some point of EVERY game and sometimes seems to lack motivation. Orakpo would be a beast if he played DE full time, but they've got him trying to be a coverage LB and that isn't his strength. The LBs are average at best, Fletcher who I love and who is the heart of the defense, is getting long in the tooth, and they have no real solid back-ups. MacIntosh and Blades are OK, but that's it. The corners are atrocious, IMHO. Carlos Rogers probably won't be resigned, Fred Smoot is way over the hill (he plays saftey on occasion now) and MeAngelo Hall can't tackle and often can't cover either. He does make some picks and let's everyone know it when he does. The youngsters (Barnes and Tryon) will probably get better, but they need help there. LaRon Landry is way over-rated (kind of a Roy Williams type saftey) and Doughty is a white saftey. Need I say more?The defense needs a new scheme and a new leader. Something is wrong with Blache, he just doesn't have the fire in his belly anymore, and I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't retire. But even with Greggggg Williams as DC, many of the defensive players didn't play lights out D either.The defense needs less than the offense, I'll agree there, but it's far from just needing "tweaks".

The defense is NOT as good as it looks on paper. The DL is better than average when everyone is healthy and when Fat Albert decides to play. But he's hurt at some point of EVERY game and sometimes seems to lack motivation. Orakpo would be a beast if he played DE full time, but they've got him trying to be a coverage LB and that isn't his strength. The LBs are average at best, Fletcher who I love and who is the heart of the defense, is getting long in the tooth, and they have no real solid back-ups. MacIntosh and Blades are OK, but that's it. The corners are atrocious, IMHO. Carlos Rogers probably won't be resigned, Fred Smoot is way over the hill (he plays saftey on occasion now) and MeAngelo Hall can't tackle and often can't cover either. He does make some picks and let's everyone know it when he does. The youngsters (Barnes and Tryon) will probably get better, but they need help there. LaRon Landry is way over-rated (kind of a Roy Williams type saftey) and Doughty is a white saftey. Need I say more?The defense needs a new scheme and a new leader. Something is wrong with Blache, he just doesn't have the fire in his belly anymore, and I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't retire. But even with Greggggg Williams as DC, many of the defensive players didn't play lights out D either.The defense needs less than the offense, I'll agree there, but it's far from just needing "tweaks".
I firmly believe in the saying "It all starts up front". I don't think the defense needs a superstar $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ free agent. I think it needs a couple solid vets. I think you can get veteran LBers pretty cheap.I just can't see how they can rebuild that offensive line.

The defense is NOT as good as it looks on paper. The DL is better than average when everyone is healthy and when Fat Albert decides to play. But he's hurt at some point of EVERY game and sometimes seems to lack motivation.
I checked a couple games earlier this year and he had the 2nd most defensive snaps of any D-lineman on the team (next to Carter, who's a freak and is in on every play). People were saying the same thing about him then.

I firmly believe in the saying "It all starts up front". I don't think the defense needs a superstar $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ free agent. I think it needs a couple solid vets. I think you can get veteran LBers pretty cheap.I just can't see how they can rebuild that offensive line.
I actually think rebuilding the OL is pretty simple. Draft OL. Sign undrafted free agents. And spend some money on decent OL free agents. But don't go for the super stars. I think the OL is really more of a numbers game. The more OL you draft, the more likely you are to find a good one in the later rounds. And they need to spend more money than the veteran minimum to get some decent free agents. Unfortunately, it takes more than a year to rebuild the OL. The Steelers apparently have done it in two years, but that is unusual.

The defense is NOT as good as it looks on paper. The DL is better than average when everyone is healthy and when Fat Albert decides to play. But he's hurt at some point of EVERY game and sometimes seems to lack motivation.
I checked a couple games earlier this year and he had the 2nd most defensive snaps of any D-lineman on the team (next to Carter, who's a freak and is in on every play). People were saying the same thing about him then.
It continues to baffle me that so many people have such a big problem with Haynesworth. He's easily our best defender, even considering the time he's not playing.I'm glad he goes to the sideline. So many players stay on the field when they physically can't give what they need to give.

I agree. He changes plays when he's on the field, and he's on the field a lot. I do hope that next year he'll be in better shape (endurance-wise), with with that bulk I'm not sure how much room there is for improvement there. He's huge compared to Carter, and he plays more than the other D-linemen. And man does he disrupt plays, even though the defensive scheme holds him back.

this game is such a pesky technicality...I just want the Shanahan era to begin already :shrug:
From PFT:
Shanahan on track to make more than $50 million from RedskinsPosted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2010 9:22 PM ETSome league insiders believe that free-agent coach Mike Shanahan would like to get another suitor to the table in order to drive up his leverage with the Redskins.But even if he can't shake any other team out of the bushes, we're told that Shanahan will still make more than $50 million under the deal that the Redskins have ready for Shanahan's signature.We assume it's a five-year contract, with an average salary in excess of $10 million per year.It remains to be seen whether and to what extent Shanahan will keep any of the $7 million he's due to be paid in 2010 and 2011 by the Broncos. One league source recently told us that the Broncos might not be entitled to a full dollar-for-dollar offset, which means that Shanahan would keep some of the money from the Broncos, along with the $10 million from the Redskins.The Redskins deal, if ultimately accepted by Shanahan, will make him the highest-paid coach in NFL history. Former Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren received an average salary in the range of $7.5 million to $8.5 million in his final years in Seattle.

It continues to baffle me that so many people have such a big problem with Haynesworth. He's easily our best defender, even considering the time he's not playing.I'm glad he goes to the sideline. So many players stay on the field when they physically can't give what they need to give.
Look, I don't put Haynesworth in the "total bust" category with Dana Stubblefield like some (Andy Polin for example) would. But I don't think he's been the "difference maker" that his salary would predicate. And as the season has gone down the tubes, I think his motivation to play and bust his butt has declined at the same rate. An "ankle sprain" on a 350 lb man is a very convenient way to justify not putting out full effort when you've got over $50M in the bank.I hope he plays well next year in a different scheme, I truly do.

I actually think rebuilding the OL is pretty simple. Draft OL. Sign undrafted free agents. And spend some money on decent OL free agents. But don't go for the super stars. I think the OL is really more of a numbers game. The more OL you draft, the more likely you are to find a good one in the later rounds. And they need to spend more money than the veteran minimum to get some decent free agents. Unfortunately, it takes more than a year to rebuild the OL. The Steelers apparently have done it in two years, but that is unusual.
I think the mid rounds are great places to draft centers and guards. But left tackles are usually scooped up early, and the mid rounders take a while to develop at that position. But it looks like the Redskins need a complete overhaul. THere are several 1st round worthy left tackles in this draft, and I think that is where they should go. Then take a couple (or 3) interior lineman in rounds 3-7.

I hope he plays well next year in a different scheme, I truly do.
It didn't make sense to bring him in and then put him in Blache's scheme which makes him hold the line of scrimmage instead of rushing and collapsing things. Just like it didn't make sense to bring in Jason Taylor, switch him to the other side, and ask him to stop the run. Taylor didn't do that well, got disgusted, and wanted out. Haynesworth's performance dropped under the scheme and he got disgusted. Stupid front office, stupid coaching decisions.

I'll always love him, especially for the glory years, but I've been wanting this day to come for the last several years. I think the team will be MUCH better off with a younger, more energetic coach who has more experience in today's game, and today's blocking and run schemes.
I think you're right. Bugel's a great personality and admirable guy. But the Redskins routinely block some plays miserably (screens, stretch plays) and other teams take advantage of it.

If Shanahan goes to the Skins, I wonder if he will bring the Alex Gibbs style blocking with him. Need athletic lineman to pull the zone blocking scheme off.

If Shanahan goes to the Skins, I wonder if he will bring the Alex Gibbs style blocking with him. Need athletic lineman to pull the zone blocking scheme off.
We're potentially looking at having nearly the entire O-line overhauled, so it's not asking a whole lot either way.

We're potentially looking at having nearly the entire O-line overhauled, so it's not asking a whole lot either way.
Some of their current lineman, though aren't a good fit in a zone blocking scheme (i.e. Rabach, Dockery).

I've been doing some reading today and it seems the "Shanahan May Be Interested In Player X" wild guesses are beginning in the press.

In a move that reflects the nature of the Washington Redskins' season, WVBT Fox 43 had decided not to air Sunday's scheduled 4:15 p.m. game between the Skins and San Diego Chargers and instead televise the crucial NFC East clash between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

This is the first time in memory that the Redskins have been pre-empted on TV in Hampton Roads. Bruce Rader, sports director at Fox 43, said he suggested the change when Fox switched the Eagles-Cowboys game from 1 p.m. to 4:15.

At the Old Dominion men's basketball game Wednesday night, Rader explained his reasoning.

"Honestly," he said, "the Redskins are just unwatchable."
Virginia TV station dumps Redskin game.Another Virginia station dumps the game.

In a move that reflects the nature of the Washington Redskins' season, WVBT Fox 43 had decided not to air Sunday's scheduled 4:15 p.m. game between the Skins and San Diego Chargers and instead televise the crucial NFC East clash between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

This is the first time in memory that the Redskins have been pre-empted on TV in Hampton Roads. Bruce Rader, sports director at Fox 43, said he suggested the change when Fox switched the Eagles-Cowboys game from 1 p.m. to 4:15.

At the Old Dominion men's basketball game Wednesday night, Rader explained his reasoning.

"Honestly," he said, "the Redskins are just unwatchable."
Virginia TV station dumps Redskin game.Another Virginia station dumps the game.
Wish the DC stations could dump it. Redskins vs. the Chargers JV. What a game.

Here are some memorable stats from 1961: The Redskins were the only team in the league to score fewer than 200 points, with 174, suffering three shutouts and posting single digits five times. Kicker John Aveni was the team's leading scorer, with 42 points, and made only five of 28 field goals (Where's Shaun Suisham -- cut this season after converting 18 of 21 field goals -- when you need him?) By dire comparison, the expansion Vikings won three games and scored 285 points, 111 more than the Redskins, and the Cowboys won four games in their second year of existence. Only a closing-day win over Dallas averted a winless season for Washington.

That pitiful showing came during the Redskins' ignominious quarter-century between 1946 and 1970: four winning seasons, zero playoff appearances and a 119-185-15 record (.397). The architect of the calamity was the iron-fisted George Preston Marshall, the Washington business wiz who founded the team in 1932, placed it in Boston and then moved it to the capital in 1937.

Marshall was a meddlesome owner who employed a revolving door of coaches and refused to integrate his lily-white squad when racial barriers fell in the NFL after World War II. His Redskins were long the league's southernmost team, and Marshall felt that signing black players would alienate his fan base.
linkSee any similarities to today?

SOOOOO glad the season is over, Zorn can join the old ball coach as the worst coach in our history, we get Shanny, and draft an impact player with that 5th pick!

ChrisCooleyFan said:
simmonjm said:
fatness said:
ChrisCooleyFan said:
Picking 5th in April :rolleyes:
Now the Redskins need:To hire a proven personnel guy.andFor the 4 teams before them in the draft to pick QB's.
Suh and Haynesworth next too each other on the D-line would be ridiculous.
I still say Berry 1st then Oline in the 2nd
I like Berry, but I would not be happy at all if they picked him.

Free agents Guards

Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints (27)

Jahri Evans is continuing to grade out as the team’s best run-blocking linemen week after week. The Saints have done a nice job of efficiently running the ball through the middle and on the right side of the line. His continual high level of play and positive, team-first attitude should translate to a high-end offensive guard contract at year’s end. Expect the Saints, who have nothing but positive things to say towards Evans, to richly reward him for his hard work and production.

Logan Mankins, New England Patriots (28)

Logan Mankins has been a very consistent player for the Patriots since he was drafted, starting all 77 games. That type of consistency is difficult to match, but with free agency inflating the value of offensive guards, the Patriots may end up letting him walk if the price isn’t right. They drafted a couple interior linemen last year and have to use some of their free money to re-sign other players. From what Mankins has said, he wants to stay on this winning franchise, but he could be one of the top players available next offseason.

Good 3rd down Rb Plus Returnman

Leon Washington, New York Jets (28)

It’s always unfortunate to see any player get injured, but it’s all the more painful to see them go down on a contract year. The broken leg should heal in a couple months, but it will most likely eat into what could have been a big payday. Washington is similar to Sproles, but a better pure runner. Washington has the speed to turn the corner and be the great complementary back. He has added value as a kick returner where he’s among the NFL’s most feared. This summer, he turned down a number of contract offers in hopes of a huge payday in free agency, so we’ll see if he drops his asking price. If his asking price remains high, he would also risk playing for just a Restricted Free Agent contract if a new CBA isn’t reached.

Free Safety

Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers (27)

After seeing Collins blossom into one of best safeties last year, earning a Pro Bowl invite, the Packers wanted to see if he would perform at that high level once again. Almost through the regular season, Collins has done just that, playing at a level indicative of his talent and as one of the 5 best safeties in the league. The former second-round selection from Bethune-Cookman plays a very unique game. Collins isn’t always in the exact right position and plays aggressively in coverage, but has elite recovery speed to account for any error in his position. Collins has picked off 6 passes through 13 games and should be paid handsomely by Green Bay this offseason, or even before.

This allows Toasty to play SS

At #5, I'm hopin for, in order:

1. Okung

2. Suh

3. Berry

I don't want to see Campbell back next year(starting), but I'm not sure about drafting Bradford or Claussen. Trent Williams is the next highest rated OL, but he is projected in the teens right now.

edit: I guess it depends on the mocks you look at, I just saw OT Bruce Campbell rank'd in the top ten along with Trent Williams just behind him. They would be my 4th and 5th choice.

Oakton, Va.: Do the Redskins win the reverse tiebreaker with Kansas City and get the fourth pick? Seems like good odds they would have the chance at picking the first or second QB to go in the draft.

Paul Tenorio: It looks like the Redskins and Chiefs will go four-five depending on a coin flip, according to Adam Schefter.
Sacramento, Calif.: What is defensive coordinator Gregg Blache's future with the team? The defense looked terrible today ...

Paul Tenorio: Though he has another year on his contract, Blache is expected to retire at the end of this season.
Postgame chat

ChrisCooleyFan said:
Picking 5th in April :blackdot:
1 - Rams 1-152 - Lions 2-143 - Bucs 3-134 - Skins 4-12 5 - KC 4-12I'm thinking we're at 4 - wouldn't we own the tie-breaker against KC due to the head-to-head result?

Users who are viewing this thread