What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Off-Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.Don't the players vote on team captains?
I heard the beginning of the interview. Portis also said he never broke rules, showed up late, etc. And anyone can go up to Daniel Snyder and talk, joke around, etc. Snyder is open to all of the players.It is impossible to tell, but I thought Portis was a little delusional.
Are Clinton Portis and Gilbert Arenas the same person? Each seems to share the smae personality traits...

Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.

Don't the players vote on team captains?
I heard the beginning of the interview. Portis also said he never broke rules, showed up late, etc.
Yeah, not sure I believe that...unless, of course, he has his own special rules.
And anyone can go up to Daniel Snyder and talk, joke around, etc. Snyder is open to all of the players.
I do, somewhat, believe that. I doubt anyone could, but I'd guess Snyder would welcome most guys. The thing is, though, most guys wouldn't try it.
It is impossible to tell, but I thought Portis was a little delusional.
I've never really taken anything he says too seriously. But, I really do wish he'd just shut up. And, for the most part, I wish the media would talk to players less. Their either say something completely meaningless or completely stupid.

dgreen said:
And, for the most part, I wish the media would talk to players less. Their either say something completely meaningless or completely stupid.
If they had done that for the past 10 years they'd have nothing to print/report. When a team's management doesn't give the media anything they have to go somewhere to find news.

Sidewinder16 said:
Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.

Don't the players vote on team captains?
Whoa. Campbell actually fires back, and he pulls no punches.Enjoy the fireworks.

How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.
How's he [going to] question anything when for those four or five weeks before he was on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list], he never even came around. He wasn't with us. He was never at practice. Who does he think was holding the offense together? He should go ask the coaches and the players if he wants to know. But he wasn't around to do that. He doesn't know anything about leadership.
"You've got guys out there working their butts off, guys out there practicing and doing everything they need to do to prepare for Sundays, and you see him over there getting special treatment," Campbell said of Portis. "What does that say about him? I go out, I get beat down on Sundays, and I still have to go out and practice and get ready for games. And that's what your supposed to do.

"If you're about your team and trying to help your team, if you're not about yourself, you deal with the pain and that's what you do. What makes it so different for others? I mean, this is what's wrong with our team. Instead of a guy coming to you if he has a problem, instead of going to talk to the person, you go speak out loud in public. How does that help? How does that help the team?"

Campbell fires back at Portis

Yikes

"How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.

Oh, and Denver Post reporting that a deal in principle has been reached.

ETA: Schefter now tweeting "Filed to ESPN: Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract with the Redskins. Becomes head coach and Exec VP of football operations."

"Shanahan will team with general manager Bruce Allen but have ultimate authority on football decisions."

"The Redskins will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday to introduce Mike Shanahan as their next head coach."

Last edited by a moderator:

ETA: Schefter now tweeting "Filed to ESPN: Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract with the Redskins. Becomes head coach and Exec VP of football operations."

"Shanahan will team with general manager Bruce Allen but have ultimate authority on football decisions."

"The Redskins will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday to introduce Mike Shanahan as their next head coach."
Looks like just in time as the wheels appear to be falling off (Portis vs. Campbell)!

Looks like just in time as the wheels appear to be falling off (Portis vs. Campbell)!
I have a feeling the loose tongues are mostly due to both of them feeling fairly confident that they will not be teammates next year, one way or another.

I have a feeling the loose tongues are mostly due to both of them feeling fairly confident that they will not be teammates next year, one way or another.
I think we are finding out that Portis is not liked too much and that he might have worn out his welcome amoungst his peers. Their faith that Shanny will stop the special treatment is all that was needed to call him out regardless if it's does occur or not.

everything Campbell said might be true, but bottom line is, Portis has been the Redskins best offensive player over the last 4-5 seasons, and Campbell has been horrible, and occasionally average. Campbell is the one that lost countless games in crunch time, not Portis. I'm not sure either guy will be a Redskin next year, but Campbell really doesn't have much room to talk about Portis, in my humble opinion.

LINK

Shanahan has final say in Washington

Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 8:54 PM ET

When Bruce Allen became the new General Manager of the Washington Redskins, owner Daniel Snyder proclaimed that Allen "has the authority."

"When we, when he, when the club makes a decision, it's a Redskins decision," Snyder said.

Folks who had been tracking the Shanahan rumors knew better.

Less than three weeks later, there's a new sheriff in town, and coach Mike Shanahan has the authority that Allen possessed on a short-term basis, like a library book.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, in addition to coaching the team, Shanahan will serve as executive Vice President of football operations. That's the same title Vinny Cerrato most recently held.

Schefter also reports that Shanahan, not Allen, now has the "ultimate authority" over football decisions.

And so the clumsily-kept secret is now out in the open. By all appearances, Shanahan and Allen were a package deal, with Allen coming through the door first and pretending to be in charge until Shanahan was hired.

Meanwhile, the Redskins interviewed no one else after the firing of Jim Zorn, turning the Rooney Rule upside down and creating a horrible precedent for its application in the future.

But, hey, the Redskins got the guy they coveted. The guy whose Broncos went 8-8 in 2008, just like the Redskins did. The guy whose Broncos went 7-9 in 2007, two games worse than the Redskins.

The guy who has won only one playoff game in the eleven years since winning a second straight Super Bowl with a team built largely by someone else, and held together in part by proven salary-cap violations for which the Broncos were fined nearly $2 million and stripped of two third-round draft picks.

So now that the Redskins got the guy they coveted, can someone explain to us why in the hell they coveted him?
brutal critique by Mike Florio, and unfortunately I'm afraid he makes sense. First of all Snyder was being clumsy when he described Allen's authority -- "we, he, the club". It's obvious that Snyder doesn't want to let go of the reins.and I had forgotten that Shanahan wasn't all that in his last few years with the Broncos...

I get the feeling Shanahan will be fired in 2 years.

Shanahan on his worst day, is still 100x more qualified, more prepared, and more competent than Jim Zorn. Sorry, but this is nothing but a huge WIN for the Redskins. Vinny and Zorny out, Allen and Shanahan in. How anyone can say anything different is beyond me.

Shanahan on his worst day, is still 100x more qualified, more prepared, and more competent than Jim Zorn. Sorry, but this is nothing but a huge WIN for the Redskins. Vinny and Zorny out, Allen and Shanahan in. How anyone can say anything different is beyond me.
In my opinion it is a step in the right direction. I'm not sold on Shanahan's or Allen's record in regards to personel moves. If they hire a personel guy, (that guy from Baltimore seems pretty high on everyone's list) I will be happy they are moving in the right direction. If not I think we it's just going to be the past few years rinse and repeat.

while I don't much care for Shanny/Allen and will continue to maintain that the rot from the very top will prevent any future championships, it will be so nice not to have to see any more of :shock:

Marvelous said:
Tom Boswell wrote in the Post this morning that the undoing of Jim Zorn was, after a 6-2 start last year, had a confrontration with Portis, and lost.
Thanks Vinnie. Thanks Dan.

Allen is an improvement over Cerrato.

Shanahan is an improvement over Zorn.

Allen and Shanahan will likely keep Snyders fingers off the controls.

Kyle Shanahan (it's reported he's agreed to be OC) is an improvement over Sherm Lewis/Sherm Smith.

These are all good things.

Now we need a good personnel guy, and Zimmer for defensive coordinator. And let them all do their work.

This feels strange. A front office and management structure.

LINK

Shanahan has final say in Washington

Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 8:54 PM ET

When Bruce Allen became the new General Manager of the Washington Redskins, owner Daniel Snyder proclaimed that Allen "has the authority."

"When we, when he, when the club makes a decision, it's a Redskins decision," Snyder said.

Folks who had been tracking the Shanahan rumors knew better.

Less than three weeks later, there's a new sheriff in town, and coach Mike Shanahan has the authority that Allen possessed on a short-term basis, like a library book.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, in addition to coaching the team, Shanahan will serve as executive Vice President of football operations. That's the same title Vinny Cerrato most recently held.

Schefter also reports that Shanahan, not Allen, now has the "ultimate authority" over football decisions.

And so the clumsily-kept secret is now out in the open. By all appearances, Shanahan and Allen were a package deal, with Allen coming through the door first and pretending to be in charge until Shanahan was hired.

Meanwhile, the Redskins interviewed no one else after the firing of Jim Zorn, turning the Rooney Rule upside down and creating a horrible precedent for its application in the future.

But, hey, the Redskins got the guy they coveted. The guy whose Broncos went 8-8 in 2008, just like the Redskins did. The guy whose Broncos went 7-9 in 2007, two games worse than the Redskins.

The guy who has won only one playoff game in the eleven years since winning a second straight Super Bowl with a team built largely by someone else, and held together in part by proven salary-cap violations for which the Broncos were fined nearly $2 million and stripped of two third-round draft picks.

So now that the Redskins got the guy they coveted, can someone explain to us why in the hell they coveted him?
brutal critique by Mike Florio, and unfortunately I'm afraid he makes sense. First of all Snyder was being clumsy when he described Allen's authority -- "we, he, the club". It's obvious that Snyder doesn't want to let go of the reins.and I had forgotten that Shanahan wasn't all that in his last few years with the Broncos...

I would like to know for those criticizing the Shanny move who else where the Skins suppose to get. I mean really, I want someone to enlighten me on that. All those coaches that are available have flaws. This is a significant upgrade over Zorn no matter which way you slice it.

Should prospective Redskins coach Mike Shanahan not land Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer as his defensive coordinator, keep an eye on former Saints coach Jim Haslett as another possibility, league sources indicated.
Our old friend JLC, who does a bangup job for NFL.com by the way.

I would like to know for those criticizing the Shanny move who else where the Skins suppose to get. I mean really, I want someone to enlighten me on that. All those coaches that are available have flaws. This is a significant upgrade over Zorn no matter which way you slice it.
Florio for years has had no real contacts on the Redskins. His site depends on inside information. I think part of his venom here may be that he knows he's not going to get much inside information from Shanahan.

brutal critique by Mike Florio, and unfortunately I'm afraid he makes sense. First of all Snyder was being clumsy when he described Allen's authority -- "we, he, the club". It's obvious that Snyder doesn't want to let go of the reins.and I had forgotten that Shanahan wasn't all that in his last few years with the Broncos...I get the feeling Shanahan will be fired in 2 years.
Shanahan's downfall in Denver was the defense though. It just seemed like whoever he brought in and whatever he did just never worked. As long as we get a good DC here, I'm not too worried. Having some/any structure here will be nice. Plus I think Snyder likes and respects Shanahan on a level near what he had for Gibbs. The difference will be that Shanahan won't put up w/ his nonsense the way Gibbs did. Hopefully it doesn't end in flames the way it did w/ Marty after 1 year....but I'm holding out hope that the respect level being higher will help keep snyder's ego at bay for at least a little while.

everything Campbell said might be true, but bottom line is, Portis has been the Redskins best offensive player over the last 4-5 seasons, and Campbell has been horrible, and occasionally average. Campbell is the one that lost countless games in crunch time, not Portis. I'm not sure either guy will be a Redskin next year, but Campbell really doesn't have much room to talk about Portis, in my humble opinion.
A guy who works hard and is a good teammate has always got room to criticize someone who divides the locker room and thinks it's all about him, especially when he's defending himself. The problem with Portis is that I can only love him for 60 minutes per week, and that's if he's in shape and not injured. The remaining 167 hours per week I don't tend to like so much.

brutal critique by Mike Florio, and unfortunately I'm afraid he makes sense. First of all Snyder was being clumsy when he described Allen's authority -- "we, he, the club". It's obvious that Snyder doesn't want to let go of the reins.

and I had forgotten that Shanahan wasn't all that in his last few years with the Broncos...

Shanahan's downfall in Denver was the defense though. It just seemed like whoever he brought in and whatever he did just never worked. As long as we get a good DC here, I'm not too worried. Having some/any structure here will be nice. Plus I think Snyder likes and respects Shanahan on a level near what he had for Gibbs. The difference will be that Shanahan won't put up w/ his nonsense the way Gibbs did. Hopefully it doesn't end in flames the way it did w/ Marty after 1 year....but I'm holding out hope that the respect level being higher will help keep snyder's ego at bay for at least a little while.
I feel the same way. I think that Shanahan will have no problem establishing that he's the authority figure. Over the past few weeks, we've read countless articles on how people are saying what a control freak Shanahan is. Now that he has it, I don't think he'll just give in to Snyder's whims the way Gibbs did. Gibbs was maybe too nice of a guy. I don't know Shanahan that well, but I do not see relinquishing power in the same way Gibbs did. I could be naive on this, but this is part of the reason I wanted Shanahan in the first place. He's an authority figure who has control, but also Dan personally likes the guy, something that was not really established prior to Marty. Plus today's Snyder has to be cognizant of fan revolt should he oust Shanahan after his first year in favor of another puppet.

Whoa. Campbell actually fires back, and he pulls no punches.

Enjoy the fireworks.
Normally I hate reading back-and-forth catfights between players, but I'm glad to read what Campbell had to say this time. I respect Jason Campbell.
:goodposting: I'm glad Jason cut loose.
:thumbdown: This is something he should of done durning the season. Campbell has ZERO leadership skills. And waits for the season to be done :thumbdown:

Should prospective Redskins coach Mike Shanahan not land Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer as his defensive coordinator, keep an eye on former Saints coach Jim Haslett as another possibility, league sources indicated.
Our old friend JLC, who does a bangup job for NFL.com by the way.
You left out something better.Haslett recently coached in the UFL, and there are rumblings in coaching circles that Shanahan isn’t averse to going with a 3-4 defense in Washington.

Maybe Lavar will come back.!!!!

The Denver Post reported that Shanahan agreed in principle to a 5-year contract worth approximately $7 million a year. ESPN.com said he signed it.
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/201..._7M_a_year.htmlWhy did he sign so cheap? He would have made $7 million from Denver this year for doing nothing. There's a radio report this morning that Denver will still pay him $3 million this year, but I don't understand why? I hope we didn't give up any draft choices. (half joking)

So what's the deal now? Will Campbell be the QB next year under Shanny? Perhaps draft his own QB? How about Portis, is he a goner?

The Denver Post reported that Shanahan agreed in principle to a 5-year contract worth approximately $7 million a year. ESPN.com said he signed it.
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/201..._7M_a_year.htmlWhy did he sign so cheap? He would have made $7 million from Denver this year for doing nothing. There's a radio report this morning that Denver will still pay him $3 million this year, but I don't understand why? I hope we didn't give up any draft choices. (half joking)
I believe that is the way it generally works on these fired coaches' remaining contracts. Shanny could have agreed to work for $1 a year and Denver would still have been on the hook for the rest.

Does anyone have a link to the photo on the news last news last night of Shanahan and Snyder shaking hands? It's absolutely the most awkward-looking handshake I've ever seen. It looks like Snyder is handing Shanahan a gerbil.

So what's the deal now? Will Campbell be the QB next year under Shanny? Perhaps draft his own QB? How about Portis, is he a goner?
Too early to know any of those things yet. Shanahan's press conference is at 2 pm today. I don't think any player news will come until after that.

I sure hope Shanny lets Campbell walk. We've had plenty of time and games for Campbell to prove that he's NOT a winning QB in this league. Keep him as a backup, but if you want your team to contend for a conference title, or world championship, you won't be achieving that with Jason at the helm.

Just received a text from quarterback Jason Campbell, who said running back Clinton Portis called to clear the air about his comments today regarding Campbell's leadership ability.
In texts I received from several of Campbell's teammates, they told me they were glad Campbell spoke out. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Campbell as a quarterback, his teammates wrote, he leads by example, and his toughness and dedication to his teammates is considered second to none in the locker room. Campbell was battered throughout the season (only two quarterbacks were sacked more) while playing behind one of the league's worst offensive lines. He has earned the respect of his teammates.
Jason Reid

The link to this one is broken on Jason Reid's page. I don't know if they're in the process of taking down the story or not.

Posted at 10:00 PM ET, 01/ 5/2010Report: Kyle Shanahan to join his dadKyle Shanahan, the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator whose season ended Sunday, will join his father, who reached agreement with the Redskins Tuesday night, in Washington, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. The move of Kyle Shanahan to Washington, like that of his father, Mike, has been considered to be a done deal for weeks. In fact, Schefter tweeted: Another poor secret now public: Kyle Shanahan, the former Texans offensive coordinator, is the Redskins new offensive coordinator.Leaving the Texans is not expected to be a problem for Shanahan; Houston head Coach Gary Kubiak worked for Mike Shanahan in Denver for years. "It's going to be very hard to leave because of everything we've accomplished," Shanahan said told the Houston Chronicle recently. "I work with a lot of good people, but I've always wanted to work with my dad. If he comes back, I think the timing will be right."When he got fired by Denver last year, I told him when he came back I wanted to work with him, no matter where." Kyle Shanahan, 30, joined the Texans in 2006 after two years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Though he's expected to interview members of Zorn's current coaching staff, Shanahan will likely bring with him a new group of assistants and coordinators, including his son, Kyle Shanahan, currently the Houston Texans offensive coordinator. Speculation has centered on Cincinnati's Mike Zimmer to become the new defensive coordinator, though some believe Redskins' secondary coach Jerry Gray, who interviewed to replace Zorn last month, might also receive consideration. Gray would have strong support from players and from some members of the front office.
link

I sure hope Shanny lets Campbell walk. We've had plenty of time and games for Campbell to prove that he's NOT a winning QB in this league. Keep him as a backup, but if you want your team to contend for a conference title, or world championship, you won't be achieving that with Jason at the helm.
If we are going to draft a QB -- and it's quite likely at the #4 overall pick that it could be Bradford -- then we need to keep a veteran QB. The offensive line is a mess and we don't want to throw the rookie QB to the wolves and permanently damage his career. Keep Campbell for one year, maybe two, and groom Bradford while the OL issues are addressed thru draft and free agency.Sanchez did well in NYJ because he had a better offensive line, and Cutler did fine in Denver, again because of offensive line under Shanny. I can't say the same for the Redskins.

5. Among all the NFL people I’ve spoken to – and there have been a few – nobody criticizes Shanahan as an offensive coach » Talked to one guy who is tight with some Bronco scouts. Says one guy told him Shanahan was the smartest coach he’d been around. His offenses, even without John Elway, were good. They failed to win in the playoffs largely because of their defenses.

6. Shanahan’s weakness comes with the draft » He’s not big on attending the Senior Bowl or even the scouting combine, according to an NFL source. But he does take charge of the draft. He relies a lot on college highlights and loves comparing guys to players he’s coached in the past. He will take some risks, but often those risks pay off. He does not always heed the advice of the scouts.
8. He did not like Jason Campbell coming out of college » That’s according to a Denver source. But not sure what he didn’t like or if he’s changed his mind. The same person doubts he’d want to keep Clinton Portis, though that could be a monetary decision as much as anything.
link

5. Among all the NFL people I’ve spoken to – and there have been a few – nobody criticizes Shanahan as an offensive coach » Talked to one guy who is tight with some Bronco scouts. Says one guy told him Shanahan was the smartest coach he’d been around. His offenses, even without John Elway, were good. They failed to win in the playoffs largely because of their defenses.

6. Shanahan’s weakness comes with the draft » He’s not big on attending the Senior Bowl or even the scouting combine, according to an NFL source. But he does take charge of the draft. He relies a lot on college highlights and loves comparing guys to players he’s coached in the past. He will take some risks, but often those risks pay off. He does not always heed the advice of the scouts.
8. He did not like Jason Campbell coming out of college » That’s according to a Denver source. But not sure what he didn’t like or if he’s changed his mind. The same person doubts he’d want to keep Clinton Portis, though that could be a monetary decision as much as anything.
link
the drafting of Maurice Clarett comes to mind. :rolleyes: do I read somewhere that Allen will be in charge of the draft? I sure hope so.

Normally I hate reading back-and-forth catfights between players, but I'm glad to read what Campbell had to say this time. I respect Jason Campbell.
Ditto. I really think that you have to take his performance with a grain of salt. I don't think there are many QB's in the league that could have performed had they been the Skin's QB over the last few years. Let's face it, it was headed towards a David Carr in Texas scenario where Campbell was becoming a human tackling dummy with the OL woes. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the OL is a much bigger issue than the QB. Do I think Campbell would be a superstar with Manning-esque protection? No, but I'd dare say he'd be a better than average NFL QB. He's shown his flashes of brilliance when he's had protection and time. Now he appears to be getting some targets to throw to with the development of last year's 2nd round picks. I honestly think that if we can build the OL to a respectable state, Campbell can be a QB we can win with. I say win with, because I don't think he can single handedly win games, but he can be a big part of the plan. Regarding the whole Portis vs. Campbell thing...The biggest thing I've noticed is that very few leaders call themselves leaders. Leaders don't put people down, and leaders support the team. To address the comment that Campbell should've fired back at Portis during the season, I totally disagree. With all the controversy and chaos that followed this team around for nearly the whole season, Campbell should have done what he did. Just suck it up and play as best he could. To play a whole season after a clear, public attempted outsting in the off-season (Cutler/Sanchez), and to get beat up every game and still suit up each day takes guts. I'd 100% rather see Portis go than see Campbell go. Heck, I'd go so far as to say I don't WANT to see Campbell go, even if we did draft someone like Bradford.

Which leads me to my question and addition to the thread...I've never really gotten what Mike Shannahan did that makes him such a good football coach. Can someone summarize for me quickly what he's done to put him in the ranks of an elite coach?

I believe that is the way it generally works on these fired coaches' remaining contracts. Shanny could have agreed to work for $1 a year and Denver would still have been on the hook for the rest.
It's not quite that simple. Shanny can't coach for another team as long as he's under contract with the Broncos, so the Broncos have some leverage in the form of permission that they can extend. The negotiation between Washington and Denver centered around the fact that Shanny was under contract with Denver, and the fact that Denver was no receiving any benefit from that contract and was interested in shedding it.

Ditto. I really think that you have to take his performance with a grain of salt. I don't think there are many QB's in the league that could have performed had they been the Skin's QB over the last few years. Let's face it, it was headed towards a David Carr in Texas scenario where Campbell was becoming a human tackling dummy with the OL woes. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the OL is a much bigger issue than the QB. Do I think Campbell would be a superstar with Manning-esque protection? No, but I'd dare say he'd be a better than average NFL QB. He's shown his flashes of brilliance when he's had protection and time. Now he appears to be getting some targets to throw to with the development of last year's 2nd round picks. I honestly think that if we can build the OL to a respectable state, Campbell can be a QB we can win with. I say win with, because I don't think he can single handedly win games, but he can be a big part of the plan. Regarding the whole Portis vs. Campbell thing...The biggest thing I've noticed is that very few leaders call themselves leaders. Leaders don't put people down, and leaders support the team. To address the comment that Campbell should've fired back at Portis during the season, I totally disagree. With all the controversy and chaos that followed this team around for nearly the whole season, Campbell should have done what he did. Just suck it up and play as best he could. To play a whole season after a clear, public attempted outsting in the off-season (Cutler/Sanchez), and to get beat up every game and still suit up each day takes guts. I'd 100% rather see Portis go than see Campbell go. Heck, I'd go so far as to say I don't WANT to see Campbell go, even if we did draft someone like Bradford.

Which leads me to my question and addition to the thread...I've never really gotten what Mike Shannahan did that makes him such a good football coach. Can someone summarize for me quickly what he's done to put him in the ranks of an elite coach?
:goodposting:

This may have been posted in the other thread, but here's the home and away opponents for 2010:Home: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, NFC SouthAway: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, NFC WestThe NFC South team should be Tampa Bay (worst record in that group) and the NFC West is probably St. Louis or Seattle. We could be looking at another 8-8 or 7-9 type season again. :goodposting:
Yep, it will be TB and STL.AFC South and NFC North should be tough.
parity in NFL will cure this problem. what's up one year, is likely down the next.Defensively,the Redskins are 'right there'. they can beat Chicago,Det, Jax, Tenn and St louis/Seattle.tough games are NFC East, of course..but Houston, GB, TB are games you can win..you take a split with Philly and/or Dallas and you're off to the races..9-7 , 10-6 record..I'm giving Shanny the benefit of the doubt..

Users who are viewing this thread