wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

13,981 posts in this topic

Personally, I think our lack of activity in this strange free agent market is a good thing. We don't need to overpay for mediocre talent right now. We need to load up in the draft, this year and next. We're still at least a year away from being truly competitive.

So we cut Fraley, and now Tucker is retiring. All of a sudden we have depth issues on the Oline.

Personally, I think our lack of activity in this strange free agent market is a good thing. We don't need to overpay for mediocre talent right now. We need to load up in the draft, this year and next. We're still at least a year away from being truly competitive.

I'm fine with not going after the big names and spending all the $$ to get them. But why not trade a 3rd for Boldin? We have 11 draft picks, we can use one for a trade. Or maybe trade teh newly acquired 5th for Troy Smith instead of Seneca Wallace? I'd like to hear that we are adding some players to this team instead of all the news on us losing players. :shrug:

So we cut Fraley, and now Tucker is retiring. All of a sudden we have depth issues on the Oline.

I'm sure Fraley's money can be spent better elsewhere. We've got all those 2nd round tendered players that are getting raises. He's a good backup right now that can play all over, but might as well get younger. We should have alot of draft picks and I'm guessing some OL help is coming. He did a great job for us though and helped Mack out alot, who is gonna be real good.Tucker hasn't been help in over a year really.

I'm fine with not going after the big names and spending all the $$ to get them. But why not trade a 3rd for Boldin? We have 11 draft picks, we can use one for a trade. Or maybe trade teh newly acquired 5th for Troy Smith instead of Seneca Wallace? I'd like to hear that we are adding some players to this team instead of all the news on us losing players. :lmao:
In all honestly I'm wore out with "name" players right now. Look at all the players we signed under the Phil Savage regime where did that get us. I'm getting a kick seeing players such as Jason Trusnik and Brian Scheafering maturing and getting a chance and showing what they are capable of doing.

Browns | Fujita signs

Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:09:02 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have signed free-agent LB Scott Fujita (Saints). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Browns | Pashos agrees to three-year deal

Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:10:09 -0800

Aaron Wilson, of The National Football Post, reports the Cleveland Browns, per a league source, have reached a three-year, $10.3 million deal with free-agent OL Tony Pashos (49ers). It has previously been reported Pashos signed with the Washington Redskins, but after talks did not progress to his liking he flew to Cleveland and worked out a deal with them.

Anyone know anything about this Pashos guy?

Edited by GreatLakesMike

what do you guys make of the Shaun Rogers trade rumors?

personally, i don't think they would get enough for him in a trade. i know they seem to have concerns about how he is playing tackle though. why can't they move him to DE?

also i think the signing of Fujita coupled with the second round tender is sending a pretty loud message to D'Qwell Jackson to be quite about his contract "demands."

Jackson is in a terrible bargaining position right now.

i keep hearing Torry Holt's name come up.

what do you guys think about the Browns signing him?

doesn't seem like that great of a fit to me.

Fraley was told only a few weeks ago that he 'didn't have to worry' ... something obviously changed! He was a class act for the Browns and I would have loved to keep him maybe even to start at RG.

I am sure DA will be cut .... his contract means that he has zero trade value for us :goodposting:

If we can get enough value send Rogers elsewhere, by the time we'd be ready to compete for titles he'll be on the downside of his career.

I like Fujita, but it probably ends my hope of us drafting McClain. Still, he'll be a significant improvement over Barton in the middle, but I don't think his signing will have too much impact on DQ. Fujita's a good compliment but he's not a threat to take over the primary ILB spot from him.

God help us if Walrus thinks Torry Holt can make an impact on this team, if we're bringing him in it better be as a coach, not a WR. We need a veteran WR, but we need one that still has both of his knees.

Fraley's a good guy, but he's just depth at this point of his career. He needs to accept a 'just depth' salary, he didn't so he's gone.

Not happy about the Ben Watson rumors I'm hearing, although it will probably only help Evan Moore since Watson shouldn't be a threat to Moore's job.

VERY curious to follow what we're going to do at QB, I like the Wallace and Smith rumors a lot more than the Kolb and Hasselbeck ones. Brady Quinn's trade value will probably be the deciding factor, ultimately.

i keep hearing Torry Holt's name come up.

what do you guys think about the Browns signing him?

doesn't seem like that great of a fit to me.

Holt isn't a good fit anywhere, except as a veteran/leader/mentor type. Put the 2010 Holt on the 2000 Rams and he doesn't beat out Ricky Proehl for playing time.

If we can get enough value send Rogers elsewhere, by the time we'd be ready to compete for titles he'll be on the downside of his career.

I like Fujita, but it probably ends my hope of us drafting McClain. Still, he'll be a significant improvement over Barton in the middle, but I don't think his signing will have too much impact on DQ. Fujita's a good compliment but he's not a threat to take over the primary ILB spot from him.

God help us if Walrus thinks Torry Holt can make an impact on this team, if we're bringing him in it better be as a coach, not a WR. We need a veteran WR, but we need one that still has both of his knees.

Fraley's a good guy, but he's just depth at this point of his career. He needs to accept a 'just depth' salary, he didn't so he's gone.

Not happy about the Ben Watson rumors I'm hearing, although it will probably only help Evan Moore since Watson shouldn't be a threat to Moore's job.

VERY curious to follow what we're going to do at QB, I like the Wallace and Smith rumors a lot more than the Kolb and Hasselbeck ones. Brady Quinn's trade value will probably be the deciding factor, ultimately.

If I had to chose betwen those 3 Id take Kolb all day. He put up some great games last year when he started. The other 2 absolutely scare me..

Quinn has trade value?

Well Seneca is at least one of the new Browns QBs. Late 2011 draft pick. I guess you can't really complain much about that, especially if it's a 6th.

If I had to chose betwen those 3 Id take Kolb all day. He put up some great games last year when he started. The other 2 absolutely scare me..
He put up numbers during garbage time after playing poorly early vs. New Orleans then torched one of the worst defenses in the league in Kansas City. You didn't learn much about Kolb in either of those games except that he can put up fantasy numbers against lousy defenses and when playing from behind against mediocre defenses, neither of which will help Cleveland win games.

Id like to see them trade Rogers for a RB and/or lineman. A bruiser type Lendale, MBIII...

Dqwell to Cardinals for picks.

Grab a safety or QB in 1st.

Sign Chike Okeafor

Wimbley, Fujita, Bowens/Maiava, Roth/Okeafor

Roth/Okeafor/Veikune, Rubin/Robaire,Coleman

Couple of thoughts

1. Fujita and Pashos are solid signings. Very manageable salaries (approx $3 mil a year each) and both should give us solid production. Pashos should at least be an average to good starter on the right side of the line. These are the kind of guys we should be targeting in free agency.

2. Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy. The guy is the only defensive lineman we have with any skill, and is arguably our best defensive playmaker. Sure we could get younger at NT but I'd rather work on other parts of the defense first.

3. Seneca Wallace, now that's interesting. The big question is what is his role going to be? I would guess he'd be a #2 and would help mentor the QB of the future. I don't think it's going to be Brady or Anderson. Good chance that our next QB comes in the draft in one of the mid rounds... maybe Wallace starts until that guy gets ready?

4. Our draft plans seem to be taking shape now... looks evident that we'll be shooting for players at CB, S, RB, QB, WR. The true skill positions. Tons of good players this year at those positions. I see us making a lot of moves up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds in order to get impact players.

Well Seneca is at least one of the new Browns QBs. Late 2011 draft pick. I guess you can't really complain much about that, especially if it's a 6th.

This is a classic "trade for a guy, give him a look, and cut him at the end of training camp" move.

Agree.

Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy.

Agree here also.All the talk around the league is about McCoy and Suh atop the draft and how dominant they are, blah, blah blah. We already have a guy like that and rumors are we want to trade him? Doesn't sound right to me. Unless the Browns are blown away with an offer he should stay.

This is a classic "trade for a guy, give him a look, and cut him at the end of training camp" move.
Really? I don't see it that way at all. Holmgren already knows what he's bringing in.

Agree.

Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy.

Agree here also.All the talk around the league is about McCoy and Suh atop the draft and how dominant they are, blah, blah blah. We already have a guy like that and rumors are we want to trade him? Doesn't sound right to me. Unless the Browns are blown away with an offer he should stay.
But we all know the problem with Rogers...unless people make it up, he freelances way too much, especially for the 3-4 liking. Now, he's surely ultra talented, no doubt about that, but his propensity to make those big plays also seem to cause other issues. I'm not sure it's a coincidence that our run defense improved when he got hurt last year. He'll stuff one or two runs a game, get some pressures and maybe a sack, but how much of the 150 yds we give up could be taken away if he stayed home more often?

How sad is it that it only cost Holmgren a 6th round pick to upgrade the QB position?

How sad is it that it only cost Holmgren a 6th round pick to upgrade the QB position?

the sad part is, i'm not so sure if Wallace is even going to end up as the #2 guy. he might be this staff's Ken Dorsey.

Cleveland Browns release Derek Anderson

Cleveland.com

March 09, 2010, 2:47PM

The long-expected end for Derek Anderson came this afternoon when the Browns announced they released the one-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

In a statement, coach Eric Mangini said, "I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years. He did everything we asked of him and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wih him all the best in the future."

The release came less than 24 hours after the Browns traded for Seattle backup quarterback Seneca Wallace.

Anderson was due a $2 million roster bonus on March 19 and was scheduled to earn a base salary of $7.45 million in 2010, the last of a three-year contract he signed after his Pro Bowl-alternate season of 2006.

Look for Anderson to find a team rather quickly now that no team has to inherit that contract.

Link Edited by wadegarrett

I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.

I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch.

Good luck Derek.

I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch. Good luck Derek.

I hear ya. He can probably do decent again for some teams, in spurts possibly Kelly Holcomb styles. Not what they are trying to build here though...terrible fit. That said, I was all for jettisoning him out of here after his one good half season. Too much writing on the wall....even though Quinn was an unknown at that point I thought that would have been the right move. Hell, Quinn might still be an unknown right now.

I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch. Good luck Derek.

I hear ya. He can probably do decent again for some teams, in spurts possibly Kelly Holcomb styles. Not what they are trying to build here though...terrible fit. That said, I was all for jettisoning him out of here after his one good half season. Too much writing on the wall....even though Quinn was an unknown at that point I thought that would have been the right move. Hell, Quinn might still be an unknown right now.
Yeah, Anderson moving on is best for both sides.

I don't think he has it all upstairs either. That's just from things I've heard and my interpretations of his interviews/actions/etc. He's got that golden strong arm though.

I don't think he has it all upstairs either. That's just from things I've heard and my interpretations of his interviews/actions/etc. He's got that golden strong arm though.
especially after his interview where he trashed the Browns and their fans right after he was traded.but, i guess i would be bitter too if i thought the fans were cheering my injury. he should realize that was a drunken minority though.

:football:I'm reading this as "how sad is it that this trade actually upgrades our QB position"... In which case, spot-on.

Anyone think Ratliff will get a look as the QB?

From the Adam Schefter report that was just on ESPN it doesn't sound like Quinn will be the QB.

Anyone think Ratliff will get a look as the QB?

From the Adam Schefter report that was just on ESPN it doesn't sound like Quinn will be the QB.
Right.That's why I was asking about Ratliff.

Any thoughts or opinions on James Davis?

Derek Anderson: "I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town..."

We hope that too, Derek. We hope that too.

Only cost us a 7th so far...

The Browns gave up a conditional seventh-round pick in 2011 for Seneca Wallace, a league source told the Plain Dealer. The pick can improve to a sixth-rounder, depending on Wallace's playing time, the source said.