wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

13,527 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

It would, and it would not be letting him walk after one year.  Or they could go middle ground and sign him to a contract that's light on the guaranteed money with escalators to guarantee it along the way.  Similar to Tyrod's contract with a little longer to play out.  4 years $80M with only 2017 contract guaranteed.  Play 75% of the snaps and $10M of 2018 guarantees.  Hit 4k yards passing and another $5M guarantees.  Etc etc etc.

It's absolutely comical to think they would give up a pick and walk away from him after one year.

I think the assumption is they'd let him walk only if he totally bombed during that one season (Osweiler style).

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think the assumption is they'd let him walk only if he totally bombed during that one season (Osweiler style).

My point is they won't have to put themselves in that position.  If Garroppolo requires that kind of contract CLE can just walk away.  Osweiler had a ton more leverage to get that contract (which isn't even a disaster for HOU) and Cleveland holds all the cards. 

1 person likes this

On 1/31/2017 at 3:00 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

If Titans rumors are true - Im all over it. #Browns wld pick 5 12 18 33. Whew. @browns #NFLDraft

If this were true, I think it would be hard not to take it.  It would depend on the total trade package, but you'd have that extra ammo in case the brain trust does want JimmyG.

5 - pick of who's there (Garrett, Allen, Adams, Foster, Williams - still a good BPA selection in the top 5)

12 - Lattimore, Thomas, Tabor, Fournette, Barnett (no particular order, still a solid selection for BPA based on first pick)

18 - Use BPA or send it for JimmyG (if thats who Hue decides he wants to save the offense)

33 - Use this to trade back into the bottom of the first for more talent

It's not a bad start, and would help address some lack of talent (assuming we don't blow it on Weeden's, Quinn's, Manziel's, or any other blunders like that)

Maybe the browns rethink this with garrett apparently not wanting to be a brown. If i have the first overall pick here and must take a qb, theres no doubt in my mind i select deshone kizer. Accuracy. Cannon arm. Mobile. Ran a system where he was asked to read the entire field (rare in college and required at the pro level) and thrived. Some may not know his story but his stock dropped because his coach is an idiot. He BENCHED him. Not for anything kizer did. It was an honor benching. You see, the starter before kizer got injured in 2015 & so coach pledges hed get the job back in 16. That was before we got to see kizer play. So kizer is a stud but coach benches him anyway. Kizers development is then hurt and stock drops.  But i think hes cloest to being the real deal. The rest of this group have serious flaws 

Hue jackson might be perfect for kizer too. Get his confidence back and turn him loose 

Edited by Riversco

The Garrett thing is so overblown.  For the love of God. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Sports guys don't have anything else to talk about right now. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Right, it's pretty ridiculous.  Isn't it Trubisky's dream to play for the Browns?  Why is this not scaring all the other teams off?  Maybe we can get him in the 7th round.

Take him off your draft boards.  He wants to play for the team he has rooted for his entire life.  What a jerk.

Let me just say this.

In the 2014 draft, I said the Browns should stay with their draft pick and select Khalil Mack. (Look in the 2014 thread).  Most people disagreed and wanted Sammy Watkins.  They trade down and select Justin Gilbert.

In the 2015 draft, I don't think I thought much about Cleveland.  Not a super high pick that year.

In the 2016 draft, I was all over Carson Wentz.  They absolutely HAD to draft Wentz.  You simply don't do anything else there.  They traded down and got multiple picks and got Corey Coleman who is good.  They also got Kessler later on who I think is a good pick.  If they do nothing at QB, I'm sure Kessler is the starter.  Kessler is really really smart football wise but lacks a lot of arm strength and might be brittle.  He can be the long term answer for the Browns IF he can stop getting injured.  (Brad Kayaa is another guy exactly in the Kessler mold).

Right now, 2017, Myles Garrett WAS the pick in my mind until he came out and basically said he doesn't want to play for the Browns.  Then he tries to backpedal and say it was a joke.  Bull ####.  You can't take him now because you've got a losing culture and if he doesn't want to be there anyway, he'll turn into a malcontent. Now the pick has to be Dehsone Kizer. Kizer is very accurate, got a cannon arm, mobile, and ran an offense where he had to read the entire field and spot the open man.  The only reason he's not consensus #1 is because his coach benched him for stupid reasons not related to Kizer in any way.  I'll give you another option though.  If you select Garrett at 1.01, then trade DOWN from 1.12. I'll set up a scenario.  Let's say RB Cook is still on the Board at 1.12,  Trade down with the Seahawks to 1.26.  They really need an RB and would love Cook.  Pick up the Seahawks first rounder in 2018.  Now trade the 1.26 and a 2017 3rd to the Patriots for Garoppolo.  This way you aren't REALLY giving up a first rounder for Garoppolo.  The Browns are actually only giving up a 3rd for JG, Belichick gets his first rounder for JG, and the Seahawks get their RB.  Everyone wins.  But it doesn't have to be that exact scenario.  Just trade down with anyone willing to give up a 2018 first.

The "Browns" thing to do right now would be to ignore the warning signs with Garrett, select him at 1.01, and then sign Tyrod Taylor.  That would give them the best odds of failure.

BTW I like Kessler.  Kessler will actually be a long term quality starter in the NFL if he can just stay healthy.  But he's small and fragile and might not be able to.  Its ok to mve on from Kessler and get Kizer. There is a QB that is a Kessler clone in this draft named Brad Kayaa.

Edited by Riversco

2 hours ago, Riversco said:

Let me just say this.

In the 2014 draft, I said the Browns should stay with their draft pick and select Khalil Mack. (Look in the 2014 thread).  Most people disagreed and wanted Sammy Watkins.  They trade down and select Justin Gilbert.

I wanted Watkins but was more in favor of trading down so I liked the deal with Buffalo.  I didn't want Gilbert and thought it was a reach.  I probably would have taken ODB.  However, at the time I was not aware of Josh Gordon's impending suspension so if I had that information I honestly do not know if I would have taken the trade-down deal with Buffalo or if I would have stuck and taken Watkins.

In the 2015 draft, I don't think I thought much about Cleveland.  Not a super high pick that year.

I wanted Danny Shelton with the top pick but was hoping a WR would drop or that we'd take a CB with the other 1st round pick.  We took Shelton and he struggled his rookie season but took a big step forward last year and became one of the top run defenders in the league.

In the 2016 draft, I was all over Carson Wentz.  They absolutely HAD to draft Wentz.  You simply don't do anything else there.  They traded down and got multiple picks and got Corey Coleman who is good.  They also got Kessler later on who I think is a good pick.  If they do nothing at QB, I'm sure Kessler is the starter.  Kessler is really really smart football wise but lacks a lot of arm strength and might be brittle.  He can be the long term answer for the Browns IF he can stop getting injured.  (Brad Kayaa is another guy exactly in the Kessler mold).

I didn't like any of the QBs last year and felt Wentz was a reach with the #2 pick.  I LOVED the trade down and all of the additional picks we got.  Wentz would have had a much tougher road if he were on the Browns.  Don't forget, he would not have Corey Coleman, or an extra 12th pick this year and it is doubtful the Browns would have the luxury of trading away picks for a guy like Jamie Collins so put the 24 year old rookie on the current Browns team but take away Corey Coleman, Jamie Collins, an extra 3rd, 2nd, and whoever we get with the 12th pick in this draft.  Wentz struggled last year after starting out hot, the losing got to him according to reports so I don't think he would have done much better with the Browns especially if we took away extra players.

Right now, 2017, Myles Garrett WAS the pick in my mind until he came out and basically said he doesn't want to play for the Browns.  Then he tries to backpedal and say it was a joke.  Bull ####.  You can't take him now because you've got a losing culture and if he doesn't want to be there anyway, he'll turn into a malcontent. Now the pick has to be Dehsone Kizer. Kizer is very accurate, got a cannon arm, mobile, and ran an offense where he had to read the entire field and spot the open man.  The only reason he's not consensus #1 is because his coach benched him for stupid reasons not related to Kizer in any way.  I'll give you another option though.  If you select Garrett at 1.01, then trade DOWN from 1.12. I'll set up a scenario.  Let's say RB Cook is still on the Board at 1.12,  Trade down with the Seahawks to 1.26.  They really need an RB and would love Cook.  Pick up the Seahawks first rounder in 2018.  Now trade the 1.26 and a 2017 3rd to the Patriots for Garoppolo.  This way you aren't REALLY giving up a first rounder for Garoppolo.  The Browns are actually only giving up a 3rd for JG, Belichick gets his first rounder for JG, and the Seahawks get their RB.  Everyone wins.  But it doesn't have to be that exact scenario.  Just trade down with anyone willing to give up a 2018 first.

Too much has been made of Garrett wanting to play with his boyhood team.  He checks out off the field, he is no Johnny Manziel and would not be a distraction.

I posted about DeShone Kizer in another thread so I'll cut-and-paste that to the bottom.

The "Browns" thing to do right now would be to ignore the warning signs with Garrett, select him at 1.01, and then sign Tyrod Taylor.  That would give them the best odds of failure.

BTW I like Kessler.  Kessler will actually be a long term quality starter in the NFL if he can just stay healthy.  But he's small and fragile and might not be able to.  Its ok to mve on from Kessler and get Kizer. There is a QB that is a Kessler clone in this draft named Brad Kayaa.

In response to DeShone Kizer being a top pick in this draft and how he was rated as the top pick in September.

Top QB prospects fall out every year.  Kizer was rated the top guy primarily due to prototypical size but the scouting reports all said he need a lot of work.  I started watching him and wanted to see a top prospect.  He makes some NFL throws, he has the size, but...  From what I saw, he looked to be late with his throws.  He reminded me of EJ Manuel.  I did more research.

He has mechanical issues with his throwing motion, his back leg flares out as his back hip opens up turning quicker than his shoulders so the ball dips at the end of the throw which indicates velocity 'issues'.  A compacted throwing motion with a stable lower body provides an anchor.  The hip turn creates torch but his throws are not consistently anchored which saps natural momentum.  Mechanics provide proper throwing motion or you end up making arm throws and that happens a lot with Kizer's velocity.  He is inconsistent, his throwing mechanics are out of synch.

Some NFL QB coaches probably think they can fix it.  The coaches at ND have no incentive to change his mechanics and risk short term loss for long term gain that they won't see but NFL teams thought they could fix Tebow and other college QB prospects. 

I'm not sure Kizer fell.  At the start of the season, the guys who were seen as the top QBs were Watson and Kizer and Kizer had him beat on size and system and NFL coaching.  

3 hours ago, Riversco said:

Let me just say this.

let me just say this.

Even if it is true that Garrett doesnt want to play here, guess what, NOBODY DOES!!!!.  I guess we just shouldn't draft anyone then. 

Wow, so overblown, and people like you would pass on a guy for wanting to play with his hometown team.  Just silly.  I got news for ya dude, like 90% of the players in the NFL are NOT playing for the team they wish they were playing for for one reason or another. 

"Warning signs".  Good grief. 

19 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

let me just say this.

Even if it is true that Garrett doesnt want to play here, guess what, NOBODY DOES!!!!.  I guess we just shouldn't draft anyone then. 

Wow, so overblown, and people like you would pass on a guy for wanting to play with his hometown team.  Just silly.  I got news for ya dude, like 90% of the players in the NFL are NOT playing for the team they wish they were playing for for one reason or another. 

"Warning signs".  Good grief. 

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. Sure he's going to be paid nicely, but what benefit does he get from tanking for 4/5 years because he didn't want to be drafted by the Browns? He's be throwing away his future earning potential.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. Sure he's going to be paid nicely, but what benefit does he get from tanking for 4/5 years because he didn't want to be drafted by the Browns? He's be throwing away his future earning potential.

It boggles my mind that you would dismiss the possibility of young kids in their early 20s making poor life choices after watching josh gordon and manziel throw their nfl careers away. Those should be lessons to browns fans. When you see garrett acting out on twitter basically saying he doesnt want to be a brown hes showing massive immaturity and you should slot hm as high risk pick in danger of being another gotdon or manziel. 

You cant take him #1 now. No way. 

27 minutes ago, Riversco said:

basically saying he doesnt want to be a brown

That's the thing.  He didn't "basically" say that at all. 

If that is what you think he said, then simple logic would tell that you should also think he does not want to play for 31 of the 32 NFL teams, and that 31 of the 32 NFL teams should not want him because of this. 

He said he wants to be a Cowboy.  So ####### what?  As I said before, 95% of the players in the NFL wish they played for another team.  95% of us normal people wish we worked for a different employer.  So what?

The analogy of Johnny and Gordon is just silly and lazy.  Those guys are messes that can't even stay eligible.  Last I checked you don't get suspended for wishing you could play for you boyhood team. 

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, Riversco said:

It boggles my mind that you would dismiss the possibility of young kids in their early 20s making poor life choices after watching josh gordon and manziel throw their nfl careers away. Those should be lessons to browns fans. When you see garrett acting out on twitter basically saying he doesnt want to be a brown hes showing massive immaturity and you should slot hm as high risk pick in danger of being another gotdon or manziel. 

It boggles my mind that you could take such an extreme stance at this point and that you would dump this kid in a group with substance abusers like Manziel and Gordon.  What else do you know that I, and maybe the Browns, don't?

The Twitter thing is a flag.  I guarantee you most players have them.  Proper research will bring the Browns to the right conclusion.  These are things Farmer did NOT do.

1 hour ago, Riversco said:

That's a tremendous leap.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Riversco said:

So what DID he actually say?  What are you basing this on?  Is this all some outrageous extrapolation of that "Cowboys please draft me" plus him not attending the draft?  Did I miss something else?  Please tell me there's more to your post than just those two things.

8 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

That's a tremendous leap idiotic.

Fixed. Seriously, can't take him number one? Oof.

I'm sure the Browns will probably select Garrett and then clean house and fire everyone again in a year or two.  I mean, the Carson Wentz disaster already shows you what's going to happen.  I was watching a panel discuss Wentz after the 2016 season was over and they asked "What could the Browns have possibly seen to decide he WASN'T a franchise QB?"  No one had an answer.  He's got everything you'd want.  Its really really telling the Browns front office is in way over its head by passing on Wentz.  So, its gonna happen sooner or later.  They'll clean house again.  

And its a HUGE oof right now to want to pick Garrett with the first pick in the draft.  That's awful.  Not as bad as picking Justin Gilbert or passing on Wentz but no way.  

Clearly you have mental issues, but I will ask you anyway:

Should any of the teams picking behind us (other than Dallas of course) draft Garrett?

And its a HUGE oof right now to want to pick Garrett with the first pick in the draft.  That's awful.  Not as bad as picking Justin Gilbert or passing on Wentz but no way.  

I mean...why WOULD a one win team want to take the best player in the draft?

Amirite?

I'm sure the Browns will probably select Garrett and then clean house and fire everyone again in a year or two.  I mean, the Carson Wentz disaster already shows you what's going to happen.  I was watching a panel discuss Wentz after the 2016 season was over and they asked "What could the Browns have possibly seen to decide he WASN'T a franchise QB?"  No one had an answer.  He's got everything you'd want.  Its really really telling the Browns front office is in way over its head by passing on Wentz.  So, its gonna happen sooner or later.  They'll clean house again.  

Really?  Wentz threw for 16 tds, 14 ints and 79.3 rating.  Would you accept that sort of performance from a Browns QB?  Seriously, what part of that says "franchise qb"?  (aside from the grass being greener elsewhere...)

10 hours ago, Riversco said:

I like some of your posts, you do homework and make some good cases for your takes, however in declaring Wentz a 'franchise' quarterback prematurely and then saying that fact shows the Browns front office is over their collective head's and then cautioning that they "can't" take the highest rated player in the draft with the first pick because they screwed up last year and because he indicates he doesn't want to play for the Browns is wrong on many levels.

First, Garrett is the highest rated player in this draft and the Browns 'reportedly' have an 'astronomical grade' on him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18253765/cleveland-browns-astronomical-grade-myles-garrett-texas-aggies-possible-no-1-pick

The Browns have what one source close to the situation described as an "astronomical grade" on Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett

Last year the Browns front office declared that they didn't think Carson Wentz was a top-20 NFL quarterback, he wasn't.

He didn't play a whole let better and wasn't rated much higher based on his play than Cody Kessler last year and no one is making a case for Kessler to be a franchise QB.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-this-season/

22. Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

2016 overall grade: 78.2

It was a great start to the season for Wentz, who did not look much like a rookie in the early going, but he’s regressed back to his rookie mean, often looking like he did on film at North Dakota State. He certainly hasn’t been helped by one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL, but they’re not to blame for some of the poor decisions and inaccuracy that have Wentz with the 15th-highest percentage of turnover-worthy throws in the league. He hasn’t complemented those plays with enough big-time throws, though he’s certainly flashed the big arm and potential that made him the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. It’s been a strong first season for Wentz overall, with the next step being an improved supporting cast and tapping into his big arm to offset some of his inconsistent accuracy and inability to get through his progressions at times.

28. Cody Kessler, Cleveland Browns

2016 overall grade: 74.2

Kessler has been what we thought he was coming out of USC. He’s a safe passer, ranking sixth in avoiding turnover-worthy plays, but he’s also not going to make plays down the field as he has the fourth-lowest percentage of big-time throws in the league. Kessler generally does a good job of avoiding negative plays, but the question now lies in how much that is worth going forward.

http://www.ibtimes.com/best-nfl-quarterbacks-2016-ranking-all-32-starting-qbs-season-2466942

24) Carson Wentz (14 TD, 14 INT, 78.2 Rating)

The future at quarterback is bright for the Philadelphia Eagles, but Wentz has struggled mightily in the second half of his rookie season. After posting a passer rating of at least 100.0 in three of his first four games, Wentz hasn’t reached that mark even once for the rest of the season. He’s thrown six more interceptions than touchdowns since Week 5, though he does deserve credit for playing so well to start the season.

25) Cody Kessler (6 TD, 2 INT, 92.3 Rating)

The rookie certainly played the best of the five quarterbacks the Cleveland Browns used in 2016. His passer rating and touchdown-to-interception ratio were more than serviceable, though it’s hard to put him any higher on the list since he played so little and failed to win a game as a starter. Kessler went 0-8 as a starter, and the Browns scored no more than 10 points in his last three starts.

I like Wentz and think he will turn into a 'decent' NFL QB but to say the Browns FO blew it by moving down and receiving:

- 2 first round picks

- 2 second round picks

- 2 third round picks

- 1 4th round pick

Add, if Wentz was on the Browns they would have LESS talent than what he has in Philly and they wouldn't have ANY additional picks now or going forward.  He came in as a 24-year-old rookie QB and he isn't at a 'franchise' NFL QB level yet so his supporting cast and any additional draft picks that could add to his supporting cast are crucial for his development.

The Browns can and should take Garrett with the top pick.  

They 'could' wind up taking Kizer, or Watson, or Trubisky, with the 12th pick they got by trading down last year.

It helps that they already have Corey Coleman who came in as a raw rookie WR from a spread offense at Baylor where he didn't know how to run NFL routes so he has potential to make a huge leap this year.  The team is currently working on extending WR Terrelle Pryor and have extra 2nd round picks this and next year to help out any rookie or veteran QB they might wind up with, should they deem any worthy of the price.  They decided to trade the rights of drafting Wentz last year and I like the value they got in return.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Add, if Wentz was on the Browns they would have LESS talent than what he has in Philly

I think that's debatable.

Cleveland o-line was likely a bit better than Philly's especially with Johnson's suspension.

WRs are pretty close - both units are well below average (Matthews, Agholor and DGB v. Pryor, Coleman and Hawkins)

TEs probably favor Philly slightly (Ertz v. Barnidge)

RBs are pretty even (Mathews, Smallwood, Sproles v. Crowell and Johnson).

15 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think that's debatable.

Cleveland o-line was likely a bit better than Philly's especially with Johnson's suspension.

Joel Bitonio got injured early last year and landed on IR.  Second year C Irving struggled to fill Alex Mack's shoes and we had issues at RT all year after failing to fill the shoes of Schwartz.  The offensive line gave up 66 sacks which was worst in the NFL last year.  The injuries and shuffling guys around and the game scripts due to having a terrible defense created havoc.  They are better than what they showed but last year, they didn't do the job.

WRs are pretty close - both units are well below average (Matthews, Agholor and DGB v. Pryor, Coleman and Hawkins)

Pryor was 'essentially' a 2nd year WR and was still learning, Coleman was a raw rookie who never ran NFL routes at Baylor and didn't have a clue and got injured and played sparingly for half the year but I'd take them going forward over Philly's WRs.

TEs probably favor Philly slightly (Ertz v. Barnidge)

RBs are pretty even (Mathews, Smallwood, Sproles v. Crowell and Johnson).

I was talking overall talent especially on defense but without that trade the Browns would be without WR Corey Coleman and he can make a huge leap forward this season if he comes in knowing his routes/depths/timing etc.)  The team is going to get a player with the 12th pick and have a shot to get a 'decent' player with the 52 pick this year and with whoever they get in the 2nd round next year.

The defense was horrible last year, ranked 31st in the league and 31st in rushing the passer.  Garrett could really help with a dire need of rushing the passer and he's solid against the run.  Add, he would fit in well with the young guys they have recently drafted (1st round 2015 Danny Shelton as a run-stuffing anchor interior, 2nd round 2016 DE Emmanuel Ogbah at one DE position but he has the ability to move to an OLB position and be a pass rushing force, 3rd round 2016 DE Carl Nassib who flashed pass rush ability but got injured early and struggled) to help cement the D-Line under the guidance of new DC Greg Williams who is a VAST improvement over the past two DCs.

The loss of the draft picks we wouldn't have isn't debatable but having extra high picks this and next year gives an advantage in acquiring young talent.

It looks like we are going to re-sign WR Terrelle Pryor, take Garrett with the top pick, and take a cornerback with the 12th pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/2917/heres-a-patriots-scenario-that-supports-a-trade-of-jimmy-garoppolo

T.P. will be paid: Shortly after the Browns concluded their epic 1-15 season with a 27-24 loss in Pittsburgh, owner Jimmy Haslam said, “There’s really three keys going forward. One, we’ve got to re-sign our key players. Two, we’ve got to be appropriately aggressive in free agency. Three, we’ve got to have a great draft.” So far, the Browns have re-signed linebacker Jamie Collins (four years/$50 million) and long snapper Charley Hughlette (six years). Next up is receiver Terrelle Pryor. Based on Haslam’s directive and the fact the Browns still have more than $100 million in salary cap room, it is not going out on a limb to predict that Pryor will be re-signed before the franchise tag deadline of March 1. I sense a four-year deal in the vicinity of $42 million.

Say it ain’t so, Joe: When a roster clause recently triggered a $4 million guarantee of Joe Haden’s team-high $11.1 million salary for 2017, it virtually assured the cornerback’s place on the Browns’ roster for another year. But a source said this will be a prove-it season for Haden and that the organization will seek Haden’s successor high in the draft. If the Browns retain their No. 12 overall pick and use it on a cornerback, it will set up 2017 as Haden’s lame duck year in a Browns uniform. Haden is due another $11.1 million in 2018 and $10.4 million in 2019, per terms of his five-year extension in 2014.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:22 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

It looks like we are going to re-sign WR Terrelle Pryor, take Garrett with the top pick, and take a cornerback with the 12th pick.

Please, please do this.

Edited by Random

1 hour ago, Random said:

Please, please do this.

I honestly would prefer a different position with the 12th pick.  I want a monster front 7.

Don't get me wrong, an excellent corner would be awesome, I would just rather have another excellent front 7 dude.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

I honestly would prefer a different position with the 12th pick.  I want a monster front 7.

Don't get me wrong, an excellent corner would be awesome, I would just rather have another excellent front 7 dude.

That would probably make the defensive backfield look a lot better. Something about not having to cover WRs for a minute and a half each play.

19 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

That would probably make the defensive backfield look a lot better. Something about not having to cover WRs for a minute and a half each play.

Yeah, I think average corners can he had pretty easily in free agency, especially if you  have a good team.  I could be wrong about that, but it just seems like a halfway decent corner should be readily available every year to plug and play, and an average corner looks like a good corner when the front 7 is really good. 

Posted by Factory of Sadness on FB.  Interested in FBGs take.  I think I choose 1 (but I kinda cringe doing it).  Maybe 4 if the right guy is there.

If you can only have one option for the @Browns QB in 2017 with no combination, which route would you go with?

1 RG3/Kessler
2 Tyrod
3 Jimmy G
4 Drafted QB at 12 or 33 -- if this, please state who exactly.

1 minute ago, Random said:

Posted by Factory of Sadness on FB.  Interested in FBGs take.  I think I choose 1 (but I kinda cringe doing it).  Maybe 4 if the right guy is there.

If you can only have one option for the @Browns QB in 2017 with no combination, which route would you go with?

1 RG3/Kessler
2 Tyrod
3 Jimmy G

Impossible to say without knowing what we pay/trade for Tyrod or Jimmy G. 

27 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Impossible to say without knowing what we pay/trade for Tyrod or Jimmy G. 

So if the price is right you like them better than our other options?

1 hour ago, Random said:

1 RG3/Kessler
2 Tyrod
3 Jimmy G

Poorly worded because every option needs to have Kessler.  He's in year 2 of a cheapo rookie deal, he's not going anywhere and he's a tremendous fallback for any of the options, not just RGthirdtimeisn'tacharm.  Taylor is by far the best option.  He costs nothing in compensation to the Bills, so the only risk is whatever cap implications they commit to.  He's shown he can get the ball to a stud like a healthy Watkins, he's elevated the game of guys like Robert Woods, and he takes care of the ball.  He's thrown just 12 interceptions in two years in Buffalo.  817 attempts in cold, windy conditions like the Buffalo schedule.  Moving to Cleveland is going to be an easy transition for him.

1 hour ago, Random said:

1 RG3/Kessler
2 Tyrod
3 Jimmy G

If there isn't a franchise quarterback, don't force it so forget aout this year to address the long-term QB situation.  Is anyone in love any of the options?  I hate the B.S. that Jimmy-G is the only option that we have to land a franchise because he isn't a franchise QB.

Daniel Jeremiah has it right.

Take Garrett with the top pick and then trade down at least once or twice with the 12th pick to acquire more resources for the 2018 draft where three quarterbacks are rated higher than this year's class.

LINK to podcast with a quick synopsis below.

https://dfkfj8j276wwv.cloudfront.net/episodes/81cc777b-1aef-4c8a-899e-858bba0d11ca/08f783f79bbf4125a50c56a79f8c79ef41b5cbac4f3a365decc06a4d1a2d824a7e5417002e25bb24348caad90639f4164dc615fdca5b6279f6212f15a5261e0b/20170214_Breer.mp3

In a very Browns-centric interview with Albert Breer, Daniel Jeremiah says what he would do if he was running the Browns draft.  He would take Garrett at #1 and slide down once or twice with the #12 pick to get more capital to use for next year's draft.  He says there are 3 QB's that are likely to be in next year's draft who have a much higher upside than any of the QB's in this year's draft (Darnold, Allen and Rosen).  And, their upside is also higher than Jimmy Garoppolo.  This draft is so talent laden that it would be unwise not to take the kind of impact players that will be available to the Browns through the top of the 3rd round.  The Browns can fortify themselves in a multitude of areas with their picks.  Then next year, with their own pick (which should still be relatively high) and the draft capital they can amass for next year, they should be able to land a very high quality QB.  That's Jeremiah's plan.

I am in favor of Jeremiah's plan.  I would address the QB position by picking up a guy like Glennon to act as a bridge for a year but I wouldn't pay anything for Jimmy Garoppolo.  JG has 'some' nice abilities, he can make pre-snap reads, he gets the ball out quickly on his first read, he can slide up in the pocket and keep his eyes trained downfield, he has 'some;' escapability, all good but he has flaws.

If he has to get to his second read he won't pull the trigger unless his WR gets clear separation IOW's he doesn't throw open WRs, he has terrible deep ball accuracy, his pocket awareness can be questioned, he is accurate up to the point he takes a hard hit and then even his short game suffers, if he takes a really hard hit he looks brittle.  He isn't a franchise quarterback in my humble opinion.  

If the QB isn't there this year, don't force it.  SF isn't going to force it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/23562/kyle-shanahan-49ers-willing-to-be-patient-to-land-franchise-quarterback

Kyle Shanahan, 49ers willing to be patient to land franchise quarterback

...  just because the Niners will be adding a quarterback or three in the weeks to come doesn't necessarily mean they will be adding the quarterback they seek to lead the franchise for the next decade or so.

My $.02 on the draft / QBs...  (and it might even be worth that much, maybe)  If I could acquire Garoppolo for a second + future 3 + 4, I would do it.  I would not trade a first rounder.  I would add him to Kessler / RG3, and give him first opportunity as a starter.  If he wasn't available for that price, I'd add a veteran & live with what we got.

In free agency, I would try to add OL talent, for depth if nothing else.

In the draft, I would take Garrett and DBs primarily.  I could see drafting a C in round 2 / top of 3.  IMO, we don't need a RB or WR & the TEs will go too high.

BTW, if I am reading them right, the chances of actually using 1.01 are less than 1 in 3.  Its value is wildly inflated & they will take advantage of that.

It depends on Jimmy's price, but if it's anything like what's being tossed around then Tyrod's the only real veteran consideration imho - for the starting job anyway.  What's changed since Jimmy was picked at the end of the 2nd round?  He played 7 good quarters.  Whether right or wrong in the long run, trading a #1 for him now is a sucker play.

I think the only known at this point is Garrett should be the pick.  Beyond that, depends if Hue wants to commit to Tyrod and there's really no sense digging into those scenarios until a decision is made on Tyrod.

31 minutes ago, daveR said:

My $.02 on the draft / QBs...  (and it might even be worth that much, maybe)  If I could acquire Garoppolo for a second + future 3 + 4, I would do it.  I would not trade a first rounder.  I would add him to Kessler / RG3, and give him first opportunity as a starter.  If he wasn't available for that price, I'd add a veteran & live with what we got.

In free agency, I would try to add OL talent, for depth if nothing else.

In the draft, I would take Garrett and DBs primarily.  I could see drafting a C in round 2 / top of 3.  IMO, we don't need a RB or WR & the TEs will go too high.

BTW, if I am reading them right, the chances of actually using 1.01 are less than 1 in 3.  Its value is wildly inflated & they will take advantage of that.

I don't want Garoppolo because he's not a franchise QB IMHO.  The cost isn't a throw away in this draft that is supposed to be deep so we'd be tossing a high pick that would and should be a starter for a guy who isn't a franchise QB and if we had Jimmy what happens next year?

Do we pass on landing a top QB because we have a guy who isn't a franchise QB?  Not if we are sitting at the top of the board but more than likely we'd have to give up extra picks but by trading away picks we wouldn't have them and by trading away a 2nd this year we would have more holes so trading for Jimmy-G really hurts our chances to FINALLY get a franchise QB.  That is why I really hate the Jimmy Garoppolo B.S. that he is the only hope, he isn't.  I see him as a quick-fix for the ADD crowd who is nothing but a short term gain but would kill our chances to land a long term franchise QB.  Why take a guy who isn't ever going to be a top NFL QB?  Why?  It makes no sense and I don't care if Mary Kay Cabot has a lady-boner for him, he isn't a franchise QB.