wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

13,945 posts in this topic

Agree alot with that post.  I feel confident Peppers is the best safety on the Browns without having seen him in an orange helmet yet.  

Since you asked - Ogbah, Shelton, Collins, Kirksey, and Haden for sure.  I'm putting Peppers and Myles in the group and I'm a fan of Nassib.  Gets a little muddy after those 8.  Probably Demario, Des Bryant (they are more proven commodities at least), and someone in the secondary that I'm forgetting (not named Reynolds).

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Agree alot with that post.  I feel confident Peppers is the best safety on the Browns without having seen him in an orange helmet yet.  

Since you asked - Ogbah, Shelton, Collins, Kirksey, and Haden for sure.  I'm putting Peppers and Myles in the group and I'm a fan of Nassib.  Gets a little muddy after those 8.  Probably Demario, Des Bryant (they are more proven commodities at least), and someone in the secondary that I'm forgetting (not named Reynolds).

Thanks. I am definitely not up to speed on the Browns personnel on defense is right now.

With subpackages 15-16 defenders may play a lot of snaps. From what you are saying they don't have many good defensive back options, which if they did could push Peppers into more of a LB role. But if Peppers is the best coverage option they have, then he will be asked to do that more, even if that isn't what he is best at.

Posted (edited)

From the home of the Browns :lmao:

I know you guys don't listen to KNR like I do but I listened to this live and had to bail. How any of them survived is beyond me. They went on all morning like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7bcYiIHfg&feature=youtu.be

Write up if you can't watch Youtube

They fired her same day

Edited by beer 30

Sad news to report.

Former Browns WR Michael 'the Thriller' Jackson and the former mayor of Tangipahoa Louisianna died in a motorcycle accident this morning.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709296-former-nfl-wr-michael-jackson-dies-in-motorcycle-crash-at-age-48

Former NFL WR Michael Jackson Dies in Motorcycle Crash at Age 48

ADAM WELLSMAY 12, 2017

Former NFL wide receiver Michael Jackson died at the age of 48 in a motorcycle accident on Friday. 

Louisiana State Police confirmed to TMZ Sports Jackson was killed in an accident while riding his motorcycle in Tangipahoa, Louisiana. 

Jackson played eight NFL seasons with the Cleveland Browns andBaltimore Ravens from 1991-98. He was a sixth-round draft pick by the Browns out of Southern Mississippi, where he played two seasons with quarterback Brett Favre

He averaged 15.3 yards per reception in 114 games, and his 14 receiving touchdowns in 1996 were tied with Tony Martin of the San Diego Chargers for most in the NFL.

After retiring from the NFL, Jackson served as mayor of Tangipahoa from 2009-12.  

Nick Mangold?

Curse continues Wilson injured likely done for the year on the first day.

Browns CB Howard Wilson suffered a fractured kneecap at rookie minicamp.

A fourth round pick, Wilson was injured one day after signing his rookie deal. He'll undergo surgery and likely miss the enitre season. The patella fracture is the second major knee issue for Wilson, who missed all but three games of his sophomore year to a torn ACL.

Outlasted Lecharles Bentley!

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Cleveland Browns DE Myles Garrett watched film with retired DE Bruce Smith, and Garrett said Smith told him that he needed to be faster off the ball. "Most people wouldn't say that, but he's one of the greatest if not the greatest pass-rusher," Garrett said. "If he thinks so and I want to be at his level one day, I got to take his advice and run with it."

16 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Cleveland Browns DE Myles Garrett watched film with retired DE Bruce Smith, and Garrett said Smith told him that he needed to be faster off the ball. "Most people wouldn't say that, but he's one of the greatest if not the greatest pass-rusher," Garrett said. "If he thinks so and I want to be at his level one day, I got to take his advice and run with it."

So, he'll basically start the season jumping offsides a bunch.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

So, he'll basically start the season jumping offsides a bunch.

If he records 200 sacks during his Browns career I'd be ok with some offsides.

Posted (edited)

(RotoWire) Jason McCourty officially signed a two-year contract with the Browns on Tuesday, Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports. Analysis: It was reported earlier Tuesday that the two sides were nearing an agreement, but it's now become official and McCourty is set to join the Browns. He'll immediately join the team as a playmaker at corner and could start opposite Joe Haden right out of the gates. According to Tony Grossi of ESPN, the Browns could give him some work at free safety as well, so don't be surprised if the team experiments with him at a few different positions during training camp.

Edited by The Man With No Name

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

(RotoWire) Jason McCourty officially signed a two-year contract with the Browns on Tuesday, Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports. Analysis: It was reported earlier Tuesday that the two sides were nearing an agreement, but it's now become official and McCourty is set to join the Browns. He'll immediately join the team as a playmaker at corner and could start opposite Joe Haden right out of the gates. According to Tony Grossi of ESPN, the Browns could give him some work at free safety as well, so don't be surprised if the team experiments with him at a few different positions during training camp.

Ooof

I guess his declining play the past two years at TEN is no reason to not sign the guy.

Hopefully CLE gave him an incentive laden contract with limited guarantees

ETA: It may be telling that he is brought in after the fourth round rookie is lost for the season....

Edited by msommer

8 hours ago, msommer said:

Ooof

I guess his declining play the past two years at TEN is no reason to not sign the guy.

ETA: It may be telling that he is brought in after the fourth round rookie is lost for the season....

2 yrs./$6M $2M guaranteed

8 hours ago, msommer said:

Ooof

I can't think of anyone who signed after the draft that also got a big contract.  This is bargain shopping season, teams are looking to fill holes they don't think they filled during waves 1 and 2 of free agency nor the draft.

Posted (edited)

Don't look now, but the Browns just had one hell of a draft.

Brantley was cleared. 6th round steal.

Edited by Ojaays
3 people like this

McCourty will be a safety. He does know how to tackle and has been among the best as a cornerback. His coverage skills are not good though.

On 5/17/2017 at 2:34 PM, Ojaays said:

Don't look now, but the Browns just had one hell of a draft.

Brantley was cleared. 6th round steal.

That's a ton of young D-linemen!

Watching them stock-up on talent got me to wondering what else it takes in addition.  Like this...  O-line, check.  RBs, check.  TEs, check.  WRs, check (?).  QB, incomplete.  D-line, check.  OLB, check.  ILB, check.  S, check(?).  CB, check(?).  So, is there enough talent to go 8-8?  Then,  what else makes you a playoff team?  THEN, what else makes you a Super Bowl contender?  If you put a superstar QB on this team, what record would you expect?

If we had a superstar QB last year we probably win 5 games.

Right now?  Probably 8 since the whole team is still very young but playoffs wouldnt be surprising. 

8 hours ago, daveR said:

Then,  what else makes you a playoff team?  THEN, what else makes you a Super Bowl contender?

I think they need to learn to win again. I know that probably sound kind of dumb, but I think it is a mindset. Teams like the Pats have it. They know what it takes to win, what it means to dig deep. I think that only comes with experience. So, once they have the talent, I don't truly expect some sort of immediate turnaround. I expect things to get better. But becoming a consistently successful organization will take a bit longer.

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I think they need to learn to win again.

A team this young hasn't learned to lose.  They all come from winning programs for the most part.

They get good QB play, they are at least interesting.  

Brock Osweiler answering whether he should be the Brown's starting QB

I think the proof is in the film from the past two years.

So, no?

:lol:

Quote and question from NFL.com home page

I was a bigger fan of Hue calling him Oswilder in an interview yesterday.