wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

14,142 posts in this topic

honestly, Kizer looked like a rookie.  

some good flashes. 

it will be interesting to see if he shows consistent improvement over the season.

this board does weird things to my autocorrect   

Edited by amnesiac
1 person likes this

I expected worse and was pleasantly surprised to see that they were in this game until the end.

Kizer looked like a rookie, but made some mature decisions at times.  If he can continue to build upon this, then they might just have something going here.  Defense looked pretty good for the most part.  Some reasons to be optimistic...hopefully...optimistic...

Not having Garrett isn't good. When he comes back, he probably won't do much because high ankle sprains are the worst and can linger. Unless they keep him out until fully healed, which they likely won't. When he can play, he will be out there. And won't be 100%

just my opinion

Scott Barrett‏ @ScottBarrettDFB

Most Yards Allowed Among Cornerbacks in Week 1

1. Joe Haden (109)

2. Jalen Mills (108)

3. Eli Apple (99)

4. Terrance Mitchell (96)

49 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

That poor guy was left on island against the Patriots and Brady.  He got no help what-so-ever and was routinely on Brandin Cooks and had plays targeting him all night long. His stats and rating look bad, but as 25 year old newb it could have been so much freaking worse.

13 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

That poor guy was left on island against the Patriots and Brady.  He got no help what-so-ever and was routinely on Brandin Cooks and had plays targeting him all night long. His stats and rating look bad, but as 25 year old newb it could have been so much freaking worse.

Mitchell may have had a one-week matchup issue but Joe Haden has been on a two year downward spiral.

----------------------------------------------------------

Among all 78 CBs >999 snaps (2014-2016) Joe Haden ranks: PFF Grade:

8th-worst Passer Rating:

3rd-worst PPR/Tgt:

2nd-worst PPR/Route: worst

10 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Mitchell may have had a one-week matchup issue but Joe Haden has been on a two year downward spiral.

----------------------------------------------------------

Among all 78 CBs >999 snaps (2014-2016) Joe Haden ranks: PFF Grade:

8th-worst Passer Rating:

3rd-worst PPR/Tgt:

2nd-worst PPR/Route: worst

I am very aware. Yet it was still worth the risk for Pittsburgh in its current situation. They/we have a very strong team with a glaring need at corner.

11 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Most Yards Allowed Among Cornerbacks in Week 1

1. Joe Haden (109)

2. Jalen Mills (108)

3. Eli Apple (99)

And yet the Steelers gave him a game ball, as if they somehow stuck it to the Browns. Seems like the Browns should have been the one giving him a ball.

We are bad.  Kizer is bad, but at least he looks like he has potential to be good.  He just isn't ready to play right now.  The basic knowledge isn't there, through no fault of his own really.  He makes a ton of dumb decisions that he will not be making after some experience and/or time on an NFL team. 

0-16, get the #1.  2018 can't come soon enough. 

19 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

We are bad.  Kizer is bad, but at least he looks like he has potential to be good.  He just isn't ready to play right now.  The basic knowledge isn't there, through no fault of his own really.  He makes a ton of dumb decisions that he will not be making after some experience and/or time on an NFL team. 

0-16, get the #1.  2018 can't come soon enough. 

I'm always hopeful that the Browns will surprise me week-to-week and rarely have I been. I will say at least Kizer is willing to throw downfield. He doesn't have anyone other than the guy off the street that wants to catch the ball but at least it's going downfield. After years of 5 yard check downs at least there's that.

Apparently we don't run the ball in CLE any more, someone should tell the team.

The defense, while I was excited about it after week one, regressed this week. All i really want to know is why Jabrill Peppers plays in another zip code every down. If it's as simple as we won't be beat deep then they should fire Greg Williams today and grab a local HS coach for the remainder of the season. Would be nice to see Garrett out there, hoping his presence will disrupt the days opposing QB's have in the pocket to throw.

What is most troubling though is Hue needs an O-coordinator. Our offense can barely get to the line and get a play off with all the #### he has them running prior to the snap. Coupled with the years worth of bad clock management it seems pretty obvious he needs help.

The team is young, too young and they are going to make lots more mistakes but I'm optimistic these next few games they can pull out a few wins and if they get just a little bit of confidence in them who knows. The front office needs to get their heads out of their asses and get some WR's on the team. How many where in free agency that we let pass by? For what? So we can show the league how far under the cap we are? That'll get you a trophy :rolleyes:

How do you allow the rest of the league to have a shot at Higgins (they all say no thanks), add him back to the practice squad, and he's already being talked about as our #1 WR option after only 1 injury?  Mind boggling.  

Kenny Britt needs to ####### go too...could care less what he's being paid or for how long.  I'd rather have one of the 2nd year WRs we cut over him.  I had a bad feeling about that signing too.

That said, I don't get all the doom and gloom locally.  It's like people thought 4-0 in the preseason actually mattered.  Or that people actually believed we were going to go to Baltimore's home opener and win.  Or that after the opener we were only going to get better and never regress.  We had some chances in the Balt game and for one reason or another they didn't work out.  That's going to happen all year.  I think we'll still win some games and this is still a building year.  I'm seeing some things I like over 2 weeks, including Kizer, and am on board with this staff and front office for at least through Hue's 3rd season, probably 4th.  Makes no sense to rip anything out again, let's see what happens.

I used to think Jackson knew what he was doing, but the Kizer thing is a joke, IMO. He's not ready. Period. I've been saying it since day one. Sure, Kizer is a good prospect & has upside, but throwing him out there when he's not ready could have devastating consequences (for Kizer).

The thing with Kessler also boggles my mind. I believe Hogan was promoted to 2nd string for the sole purpose of keeping the pressure off Kizer. They have some talent. Why not put your best QB out there & try to win some games if your young guy isn't ready?

Would playing Kizer be a mandate from the front office or something? I don't get it.

Edited by Football Jones

it's one thing to say you understand it's going to be a rough year and the team is young and will make mistakes.  

it's another thing to actually live through it and remain patient.  

let's see how they look the next three weeks against teams that are more on their level.  

1 hour ago, Football Jones said:

I used to think Jackson knew what he was doing, but the Kizer thing is a joke, IMO. He's not ready. Period. I've been saying it since day one. Sure, Kizer is a good prospect & has upside, but throwing him out there when he's not ready could have devastating consequences (for Kizer).

The thing with Kessler also boggles my mind. I believe Hogan was promoted to 2nd string for the sole purpose of keeping the pressure off Kizer. They have some talent. Why not put your best QB out there & try to win some games if your young guy isn't ready?

Would playing Kizer be a mandate from the front office or something? I don't get it.

Of course he's not ready.  But at long as he's able to protect himself, get him out there.  The line isn't bad and as long as he's smart and gets rid of the ball and gets down when running he won't get killed.  The only way to get better is with reps, and game reps are the best kind.  He's not taking a pounding and running for his life and as long as he can make it through games upright he should be playing.

looked like Kizer was stepping up in the pocket a lot more in the Baltimore game.  

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

Of course he's not ready.  But at long as he's able to protect himself, get him out there.  The line isn't bad and as long as he's smart and gets rid of the ball and gets down when running he won't get killed.  The only way to get better is with reps, and game reps are the best kind.  He's not taking a pounding and running for his life and as long as he can make it through games upright he should be playing.

I disagree & believe there's a downside to a QB like Kizer playing now. The risk of regression is real.

That said, I realize the other school of thought is to throw him out there out so he can get experience. Each situation is different, though, & in this case, he should be sitting, IMO.

I wanted to add it could still work out. Kizer is a good prospect & maybe he'll come out of this for the better, but I'd definitely be handling him more conservatively.

I cant say anything bad about our defense.  This offense has been so bad the 85 Bears would be giving up points trotting out there after all the three and outs and turnovers. 

I think the D has been pretty good.

1 hour ago, Football Jones said:

Each situation is different

Each QB is different also.  Its impossible to know if kizer is a guy who will crumble or thrive by being thrown to the wolves.

We have evidence of both with QBs from the past.

Was Winston ready?

What about Luck?

Manning?

What did they combine for?  A couple wins in 20 or 30 games, a few battered bones, and alot of INTs?

The list goes on.

Why is this situation "different"?  I understand there are success stories on the flip side too.  

I also think this situation is "different" than them all because there is probably going to be a small crop of franchise type QBs at the top of next years draft.  It's a heck of alot harder to evaluate Kizer standing around with an earpiece in.  Might as well see how he progresses over a long stretch of games.

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

It's a heck of alot harder to evaluate Kizer standing around with an earpiece in.  Might as well see how he progresses over a long stretch of games.

It would make less than zero sense to NOT play Kizer as much as possible. 

So yeah, he should be starting 16 games as long as he is healthy.

Those opponents were why I wasn't crazy about starting Kizer week 1.

Our upcoming opponents are why I was behind starting Kizer beginning week 3.