wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

12,531 posts in this topic

Not sure I get the disdain for Wallace in this thread...

Hes a career 60%, 2:1 TD to INT passer who has shown the ability to be at worst, an average starter in this league.

For a 7th round pick? Thats awesome.

Anyone think Ratliff will get a look as the QB?

My gut tells me that Ratliff will get as much a shot as Seneca will... Right now, between the two you have Holmgren's guy and Mangini's guy - So depending on who else they bring in, I assume they'll both get an equal shot to prove themselves and then Mangini and Holmgren will have to butt heads and come to a consensus.

How sad is it that it only cost Holmgren a 6th round pick to upgrade the QB position?

Only cost us a 7th so far...

The Browns gave up a conditional seventh-round pick in 2011 for Seneca Wallace, a league source told the Plain Dealer. The pick can improve to a sixth-rounder, depending on Wallace's playing time, the source said.

"We're Dealing!!!" :goodposting:

Not sure I get the disdain for Wallace in this thread...Hes a career 60%, 2:1 TD to INT passer who has shown the ability to be at worst, an average starter in this league.For a 7th round pick? Thats awesome.

If he's so amazing then why did he sit behind Hasslebeck all those years? Why didn't any other teams come knocking on Seattle's door with a trade offer?It's a good trade, no doubt. It addresses a need and it cost pretty much nothing. He's a good QB to have on the roster and he might even surprise a bit... but he's just not the answer to the Browns QB problems. At least, he SHOULDN'T be anyway. You can't bring in Seneca 'friggin Wallace and think, "Okay, now we're set at QB. NOW we've got that base covered."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Brady Quinn is on the trading block.

The development isn't surprising. Quinn has been so inaccurate (52.1% completions in 14 career games) that Cleveland would probably be happy to take a late-round pick for him. Kansas City, where Quinn's college coach Charlie Weis is now the offensive coordinator, would be a sensible landing spot. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, a former Weis pupil, also loves to trade.

Rotoworld: Brady Quinn Page

Did not see it on here yet, but it looks like Quinn may be on the way out as well.

The development isn't surprising. Quinn has been so inaccurate (52.1% completions in 14 career games) that Cleveland would probably be happy to take a late-round pick for him. Kansas City, where Quinn's college coach Charlie Weis is now the offensive coordinator, would be a sensible landing spot. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, a former Weis pupil, also loves to trade.

Did not see it on here yet, but it looks like Quinn may be on the way out as well.

I hope they don't trade Quinn. Still doesn't seem like we've had much of chance take him out for a test drive. Maybe I'm alone on this, though. :shrug:

I hope they don't trade Quinn. Still doesn't seem like we've had much of chance take him out for a test drive. Maybe I'm alone on this, though. :shrug:
One spin around the block was enough. He's awful. Edited by GreatLakesMike

I personally think that he should get a chance with a halfway decent offensive coach and a system that may fit him better than whatever garbage system he was dealing with under Romeo and Mangini. Everything I have heard says that he would potentially fit well in Holmgren's west-coast system, so I would hope that he can get a shot with it.

I agree you. Unless we get great value for Quinn, which is not possible.

:)

Source: Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit Cleveland Browns Thursday

The Plain Dealer

March 10, 2010, 3:41PM

Former Carolina Panthers Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit the Browns on Thursday, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Delhomme, who was cut by the Panthers last week, went 58-40 for them as a starter in seven seasons, including taking them to the Super Bowl after the 2003 season. The Panthers lost on a last-second field goal to the Patriots.

In Cleveland, Delhomme would most likely come in to challenge for the starting job. ESPN is reporting today that the Browns are shopping Brady Quinn, although a league source told The Plain Dealer that the Browns have not actively tried to trade anyone.

Delhomme, 35, was released with $12.5 million in guaranteed money still owed to him to make room for starter Matt Moore.

A fan and team favorite, Delhomme fell out of favor with the club this year when he threw a career-high 18 interceptions.

Panthers coach John Fox got emotional in the press conference last week and said, "He's done some great things for this team. Two (NFC) championship games, a Super Bowl, all those comeback victories. I'm not sure I've had any more respect for an NFL football player than Jake Delhomme.''

Details to follow.

Link

Anyone think Ratliff will get a look as the QB?

From the Adam Schefter report that was just on ESPN it doesn't sound like Quinn will be the QB.
Right.That's why I was asking about Ratliff.
OK. I won't waste your time by replying to your comments anymore.

:cry:

Source: Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit Cleveland Browns Thursday

The Plain Dealer

March 10, 2010, 3:41PM

Former Carolina Panthers Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit the Browns on Thursday, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Delhomme, who was cut by the Panthers last week, went 58-40 for them as a starter in seven seasons, including taking them to the Super Bowl after the 2003 season. The Panthers lost on a last-second field goal to the Patriots.

In Cleveland, Delhomme would most likely come in to challenge for the starting job. ESPN is reporting today that the Browns are shopping Brady Quinn, although a league source told The Plain Dealer that the Browns have not actively tried to trade anyone.

Delhomme, 35, was released with $12.5 million in guaranteed money still owed to him to make room for starter Matt Moore.

A fan and team favorite, Delhomme fell out of favor with the club this year when he threw a career-high 18 interceptions.

Panthers coach John Fox got emotional in the press conference last week and said, "He's done some great things for this team. Two (NFC) championship games, a Super Bowl, all those comeback victories. I'm not sure I've had any more respect for an NFL football player than Jake Delhomme.''

Details to follow.

Link
Holmgren doing his due diligence. I know Delhomme was really bad last year, but it wasn't that long ago that he was a decent NFL QB. He wouldn't be the first QB to lose "it", and then find "it" again. Edited by GreatLakesMike

How do yall feel about both of the 2nd round rookie WR's from last year moving forward?

Brian Robiskie and Mohammed Massaquoi

How do yall feel about both of the 2nd round rookie WR's from last year moving forward?Brian Robiskie and Mohammed Massaquoi

With Delhomme under center?Who cares. :crazy:

Browns sign TE Ben Watson to multiyear deal

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cleveland Browns filled a gaping offensive hole, signing free agent tight end Ben Watson to a multiyear contract.

Watson spent the past six seasons with the New England Patriots, where he previously worked with Browns coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

The Browns did not release financial terms. ESPN.com reported that Watson signed a three-year deal worth $12 million, including $6.35 million guaranteed. He is the third free agent to sign with Cleveland, joining linebacker Scott Fujita(notes) and right tackle Tony Pashos(notes).

ADVERTISEMENT

Watson visited the Browns on Thursday, when the club also hosted quarterback Jake Delhomme(notes) and running back Justin Fargas(notes).

Delhomme is scheduled to visit the New Orleans Saints on Friday. While the Super Bowl champions are looking for a backup for Drew Brees(notes), the Browns may see Delhomme as their starter. That prospect could be enough for Cleveland to land the 35-year-old, who was released by Carolina last week.

It is not known if the Browns offered Delhomme a contract.

Meanwhile, Watson should improve a position that has been thin for the Browns since they traded Kellen Winslow(notes). Steve Heiden(notes), an 11-year-veteran, has been plagued by injuries in recent years and missed the final nine games last season after going on injured reserve. Robert Royal(notes) caught just 11 passes and had numerous drops. Evan Moore(notes) was a late-season find off the practice squad but lacks experience, which is why the Browns were excited to get Watson.

“We viewed Ben as one of the top all-around tight ends in the free agent market,” Browns general manager Tom Heckert said in a statement. “Because of his athleticism and intelligence, he has proven valuable as both a receiver and blocker during his career, and has performed well in both facets. He comes from a winning program in New England and possesses the traits that we like in a player.

“We feel as though he can help us in many different areas and we are excited about his addition to our team.”

Last season, the 29-year-old Watson started all 16 games and caught 29 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns.

A first-round draft choice by the Patriots in 2004, the 6-foot-3, 255-pounder has made 47 career starts. He has caught 167 passes for 2,102 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Watson had his best season in 2006, when he had 49 receptions for 643 yards and three TDS. His only 100-yard receiving game came against the Browns in 2007.

I really feel sorry for you guys

Thx.In Holmgren we trust :confused: I'll be buying a new :bag: in September.

As far as Quinn is concerned, good riddance.

I'm baffled by the Kam trade though.

i thought Wimbley was kind of a bust. all you'd hear every year was that he was working hard, learning new moves, etc.

then you'd read about how the coaches are trying to move him around, get him in better spots to suceed, etc.

seems to me that they were working awfully hard to get production that was never going to come.

he did have a better year last year, i will give him that. but he was in the last year of his contract, and they apparently decided to move on.

if they got the 3.5 from Oakland, at least they got something decent in return.

all of that being said: my take is that they need to A. hit on a significant majority of their draft picks and B. hope this is a damn good draft.

because between Mangini and now Holmgren's hatchet jobs of the roster, they have a lot of holes.

i don't necessarily disagree with it, as they were getting pretty bad results with what they had, but they need to restock the talent in a hurry.

I have absolutely no issues with the moves that have been made. Go Walrus!

Uggh. Don't like either trade.

Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.

kicksrock4.gif

Uggh. Don't like either trade.Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.kicksrock4.gif

My kid is 4. His first jersey was Winslow. He grew out of it and wanted another Winslow, so we got that for him when he was 3. Traded. He then wanted a Quinn jersey and got it for his 4th bday. Traded. He's not getting another jersey this year....

Hey we made the playoffs in 2002!

Uggh. Don't like either trade.Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.kicksrock4.gif

My kid is 4. His first jersey was Winslow. He grew out of it and wanted another Winslow, so we got that for him when he was 3. Traded. He then wanted a Quinn jersey and got it for his 4th bday. Traded. He's not getting another jersey this year....
Joe Thomas.

Joe Thomas.
I'd rather not jinx it, told the better half the same thing. Her last three jerseys were Winslow, Edwards, and Quinn. I told her if she gets another it's John St Clair.

Joe Thomas.
:lmao: that's the only one i would even consider right now.or just buy your kid a hat. :lmao:

Joe Thomas.
I'm not risking that.

Eagles ship CB Brown, LB Gocong to Browns for LB Hall, two picksAssociated Press PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles have traded cornerback Sheldon Brown and linebacker Chris Gocong to the Cleveland Browns for linebacker Alex Hall and two draft picks.The Eagles will receive picks in the fourth (105th) and fifth (137th) rounds in the upcoming NFL draft. The deal was announced Friday.Brown has been a longtime starter for the Eagles, but he was unhappy with his contract situation. Gocong had just signed a one-year deal.Hall played two seasons with the Browns, starting just two games.

I absolutely love this trade. Two potential starters for mid-round draft picks. Now they don't have to take Hayden if Berry is gone. This sets up alot of flexibility at #7.

I absolutely love this trade. Two potential starters for mid-round draft picks. Now they don't have to take Hayden if Berry is gone. This sets up alot of flexibility at #7.

:no: Both of these guys could be starters this year. They also picked up Fujita earlier who could be a starter. I hope they keep wheeling and dealing during the draft. Berry, Kyle Wilson, Brandon Graham could be nice additions to the defense for 2010, depending where we end up picking.

Looks good on paper to me.

Interesting now that Washington has aquired McNabb too.....

Saw a bunch of updated mocks that showed Berry at #7.

I think that is where I'm leaning.

Otherwise, trade down if possible. I'm sure many would rather just do this no matter what.

If Berry gone and can't trade...don't take a QB.

Saw a bunch of updated mocks that showed Berry at #7. I think that is where I'm leaning.Otherwise, trade down if possible. I'm sure many would rather just do this no matter what.If Berry gone and can't trade...don't take a QB.

I'm happy with Berry. I believe he makes Brown's and Wright's jobs easier as well. I'll be thrillled if Colt McCoy is there for us in the 2nd.

Round 1

Trade up for Bradford, sit back and take Berry, or trade down. I don't like any of the other options available at 7, even if we don't get much to trade down (like last year) I just want to take what we can get and take the best available front 7 guy in the teens. Only potential exception, Dez Bryant, if we go that route I'll trust the front office did their homework about his head.

Round 2

Demaryius Thomas (if we don't go Dez round 1 and he's available) or best available front 7 option (notice a trend?).

Thereafter

Dan LeFevour is the only QB I'm mildly interested in outside of Bradford before round 7. LOTS of WR talent, offensive linemen, and d linemen available later.

Pat Kirwan on NFL.com mock...

1. 7. Cleveland Browns

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Spiller is a 20-touch-a-game guy right away between rushing, receiving and returns. With an aging veteran quarterback like Jake Delhomme -- who knew how to get the ball in Steve Smith's hands for years in Carolina -- Spiller could get close to 1,800 yards of total offense in his rookie season.

2. 38. Cleveland Browns

Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

The Browns passed on Jimmy Clausen in the first round, but now take the guy being compared to Drew Brees. I had one club executive tell me that if McCoy gets under the guidance of Mike Holmgren in a West Coast offense, he will be a solid starter by 2011 and make people regret they passed on him in the draft. It's hard to ignore McCoy's college production, as the Longhorn QB threw 112 touchdown passes and for 13,253 yards.

3. 71. Cleveland Browns

Chad Jones, S, LSU

Jones is also a baseball player and has good ball skills. He brings size and range to the position.

3. 85. Cleveland Browns

Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida

Spikes may have run a slow 40-yard dash, but he makes plays on the field and is a value pick in the third round. He belongs in a 3-4 defense, playing the strong side at 249 pounds.

3. 92. Cleveland Browns

Thaddeus Gibson, LB, Ohio State

Gibson did not have a lot of sack production in college, but was an active outside linebacker who probably thought he was going in the first round. He plays hard, is a good athlete and will make a name for himself on special teams.

would be happy with any of these players at #7: berry, thomas, dan williams, any of the top rated OTs

Sun., Sept. 12 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raymond James Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 19 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 26 at Baltimore Ravens M & T Bank Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 3 CINCINNATI BENGALS CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 10 ATLANTA FALCONS CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM FOX 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 17 at Pittsburgh Steelers Heinz Field CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 24 at New Orleans Saints Louisiana Superdome CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 31 BYE WEEK

Sun., Nov. 7 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 14 NEW YORK JETS CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 21 at Jacksonville Jaguars# Jacksonville Municipal Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 28 CAROLINA PANTHERS# CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM FOX 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 5 at Miami Dolphins# Sun Life Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 12 at Buffalo Bills# Ralph Wilson Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 19 at Cincinnati Bengals# Paul Brown Stadium CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 26 BALTIMORE RAVENS# CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Jan. 2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS# CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM CBS 1:00 p.m.