Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

8 minutes ago, daveR said:

Do you have confidence in Dorsey?  Based on what?

maybe?  putting Williams / Kitchen in place seems to have been a good move by Dorsey.

I guess I'm with Mac on this one.  Nothing's going to happen right now, so let's enjoy the next two games!  Go Browns!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, daveR said:

Much better question.  Based on his actions to date he clearly has a vision and if you're not aligned with him then he's going to remove you from blocking the forward progression of the rest of the team.  Additionally, his actions don't get leaked ahead of time.  Which is why I think any talk around the future coaching staff, including about Kitchens already having a spot locked up, is total BS.  Lots of stuff has been reported about the Browns since he got here.  Anything involving his decision making never comes to fruition.  The only piece that I can think of is the Mayfield selection, but that wasn't until about 24 hours before the draft after 2 months of nothing but Darnold and Allen.  So until there's a clear case that proves otherwise I'm not going to believe a single word that's reported about an action involving him that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, daveR said:

At this point, I have no reason to doubt him.  He has a solid track record in finding talented players in the draft that are able to compliment his team vision and goal - ones who seem to contribute right away in most cases.  He also surrounds himself with smart individuals (both in football and analytics), which shows he isn't just a "it's my way or the highway" kind of mentality.  He's willing to hear other sides of each story, but once his mind has been made up it will be hard to sway him. As Mac said, he has a vision and he is working towards putting that in place.  So far, I think he's done a great job positioning this team for future growth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amnesiac said:

i've caught a few Gregg Williams press conferences.

i love how he starts answering questions before the reporters can even finish asking.  and how he ends each presser with "alright."

i'm starting to warm up to the guy, despite that weird whistling noise he makes when he talks.

I listen to most all of his pressers just because I have 92.3 on all day. Love how he cuts off every reporter, cracks me up. I like him, will be our HC going forward? I don't know, like I said, I trust in Dorsey.

For now we have a real opportunity to sweep a team in our division for the first time since...??? And to sweeten the pot, our former cancer is only about 50 yards away watching it all happen. Then we finish up against the team that was ripped from us all those many years ago and have a shot at sweeping them! #### yea I'm pumped! #GOBROWNS

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Mayfield with 3 touchdown pases today gives him 24 this season. 2 more to tie the rookie record and 3 to set it. Going up against the tough Ravens defense next week

if they had started him week one he would’ve crushed it. 

i don’t get too excited about offensive records since the rules keep skewing towards the offense, but still a great sign for his progress. 

The Browns mostly, hold the playoff fate of the Steelers and Ravens in their hands.

Sorry Bengals fans but, as banged up as the Bengals are this will most likely come down to if the Browns beat the Ravens or not.

Amazing how much more the last game of this year matters.

Go Browns!

11 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

I'd love to see them in the playoffs.

Well that can't happen this year. 2019 though...

Browns going for their first winning season since 2007 and only their 3rd winning season since they became the Browns again. Also with a chance to end the Ravens year on a bad note. I can't think of any more motivation for the Browns to have at this point in time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nearly every NFL HC are connected to the Parcells/Belichick coaching tree (Parcells and Belichick influenced today's NFL? -- how almost every NFL head coach can be traced back to the duo -- ) Parcells doesn't look for the bright shiny coach or latest craze. 

Parcells basic philosophy of a good NFL head coach is they don't win games, they don't lose them by making critical errors with the game on the line.

See Greg Williams time out when Denver jumped offsides then not taking the gimme FG.  Two errors that could have cost the game.

If Williams were playing Brees or Brady then go for the win by taking air out of the ball but he was playing Case Keenum.  

Greg Williams has calmed the waters and taken control and instilled discipline but is he the best choice?

Belichick took the Parcells mantra one-step further.  He isn't passive when the game is on the line he coaches for moments when the game is on the line, he calls situational football allowing his team to seize the moment.

Example.  Belichick Faked going to go for it on 4th tricking Pittsburgh into not calling a TO.  Waited till last second,  did this >>>>    Belichick using hockey line changes

ALL move in unison simultaneously wasting no time getting punt off while bleeding clock preventing Pittsburgh from calling a TO.

Brilliant.

Greg he has done OK but the search can't be forced on Dorsey.  John needs the freedom to conduct 'do-diligence'.  

20 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Greg he has done OK but the search can't be forced on Dorsey.  John needs the freedom to conduct 'do-diligence'.  (sic)

Browns currently doing their due-diligence

Jay Glazer reports Browns are currently doing their due diligence and making an awful-lot of back channel calls about potential candidates, despite their on-the-field success.

I say play for the tie on Sunday just to piss them off.

With that said, I still want the Browns to beat the Ravens and win out this year.  Take this last game to break yet another losing record and get that feeling going into the off-season and next year.  I can't stand Pittsburgh, but I'd rather watch them lose in the playoffs than watch a Ravens team squeak in because we couldn't beat them.

We are in a CAN'T LOSE situation Sunday.

If we win we beat Baltimore

• Knock Baltimore OUT of the playoffs
  • Get our first winning season in years
  • Become the second team in NFL history to go from a winless season to a winning season since the 1922-23 Columbus Panhandles/Tigers 
  • Head into the off-season with an extra boost of momentum 

IF we lose

• Pittsburgh is OUT of the playoffs which would make it worth it IMHO
  • Improve our draft status 

No matter what the final score is, we win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

• Become the second team in NFL history to go from a winless season to a winning season since the 1922-23 Columbus Panhandles/Tigers 

IF we lose

This is me but I can't imagine ever stepping foot on a field with the intention of losing or not playing 100%. Maybe at the pro level after you've been doing it for years and years and years you can make it right in your mind but I can't see it. To me I've got more a gripe with Baltimore these days than I do against Pittsburgh. That was our team! #### them! I want to beat every team we face by 100 (Why did you go for 2 in that situation coach? Because I couldn't go for 3). I grew up during the height of the Pittsburgh rivalry but that died when they moved. Only us old timers still carry that torch because they have just owned us since the move. I can't imagine too many fans under 45 feel like Pittsburgh is our main rival other than they win the division every year.

I want them all to lose on Sunday but it starts with beating Baltimore and beating them soundly. This team can do that and set the foundation for 2019. I don't care about draft position, I don't care about who gets in or out, I care about beating Baltimore. As the immortal Indians catcher Jake Taylor said after 34 years of futility in a locker room full of misfits that no one expected anything from, "I guess there's only one thing left to do..."

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, beer 30 said:

This is me but I can't imagine ever stepping foot on a field with the intention of losing or not playing 100%. Maybe at the pro level after you've been doing it for years and years and years you can make it right in your mind but I can't see it. To me I've got more a gripe with Baltimore these days than I do against Pittsburgh. That was our team! #### them! I want to beat every team we face by 100 (Why did you go for 2 in that situation coach? Because I couldn't go for 3). I grew up during the height of the Pittsburgh rivalry but that died when they moved. Only us old timers still carry that torch because they have just owned us since the move. I can't imagine too many fans under 45 feel like Pittsburgh is our main rival other than they win the division every year.

I want them all to lose on Sunday but it starts with beating Baltimore and beating them soundly. This team can do that and set the foundation for 2019. I don't care about draft position, I don't care about who gets in or out, I care about beating Baltimore. As the immortal Indians catcher Jake Taylor said after 34 years of futility in a locker room full of misfits that no one expected anything from, "I guess there's only one thing left to do..."

I agree on the last part. Getting a winning season is better than any draft position. Just changes the whole psyche of the team going into 2019. They can plan the entire off-season around winning the division realistically. 

• Like 1

if Baker can make chicken salad out of this season, there’s no limit to what this kid can do.  

Best scenario is a victory over Baltimore to secure that winning season, then watching PITT fail miserably in the playoffs like they usually do. Balt would just be boring losers in the playoffs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

IF we lose

True, but this is a good test & I want the W!

seriously, does anyone know where i can get a Mayfield color rush jersey?

did they only make a limited run of them?

F Baltimore.  Anybody wanting them to beat us doesn't have a clue.  Draft pick?  Screwing Pitt?  Leave that to Cincy.  lol

Edited by Bobcat10
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

btw, i stopped by the “Pro Shop” at the stadium Friday afternoon and the guy there stated that they only made a limited number of color rush jerseys, and they won’t make any more til May.  

10 hours ago, amnesiac said:

btw, i stopped by the “Pro Shop” at the stadium Friday afternoon and the guy there stated that they only made a limited number of color rush jerseys, and they won’t make any more til May.  

Looks like you can find color rush on-line and get bargains.

Browns color rush

Orange color rush jersey

Saw lots of others at higher prices if you aren't opposed to shopping on-line.

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Looks like you can find color rush on-line and get bargains.

Browns color rush

Orange color rush jersey

Saw lots of others at higher prices if you aren't opposed to shopping on-line.

thanks, but i assume anything not on NFL or Dick’s is a fake.  i’ll wait.  

35 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Man to man on the weak ### WR crew of Baltimore, spy on Jackson and don't let him run. He will stink up the joint. Easy win.

this could work, if Williams can resist blitzing the house on the rookie QB. 

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Go BROWNS!!!!

this will likely be the last time you type those words.  

25 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

Ugh followed by hey look the WR the Ravens cut caught a TD pass.

huh?

so much progress. 

another good draft and some good coach hires, they will definitely be in the playoffs next year.  

• Like 1