Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

Recommended Posts

Per Rapoport: The #Browns are not finished with head-coach interviews yet, as they are slated to talk to OC Freddie Kitchens this week. Should happen today or tomorrow, and he does have a realistic shot at it.

Hoping the extra time was done on purpose for him to build out his plans, make a few calls to assimilate a potential staff and make a strong case.  He has a similar resume of NFL duration as Eberflus, and already has the ear and trust of Baker and this offense.  I wouldn't mind seeing Freddie take the reigns and run with it.

Along other coaching news, McCarthy should be scheduled to interview this week.  However, PFT reporting that this pairing may not happen:

Someone told me today John Dorsey knows who he wants but isn’t saying. I have a feeling it’s not Mike McCarthy.

I wonder if a Kitchens staff would include Leftwich or Lindley at OC and pull in Bowles as DC.  That would be a solid foundation, especially with a proven DC who has a little bit of HC experience to lean on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Read on another board that the Eberflus interviewed very well and is a strong candidate.  He has done wonders with that IND Def.  They don't have a lot of big names, but it has been a smothering type of defense this year.  Pretty inspiring work, and another up and coming coordinator making a name for himself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peak said:

I wonder if a Kitchens staff would include Leftwich or Lindley at OC and pull in Bowles as DC.  That would be a solid foundation, especially with a proven DC who has a little bit of HC experience to lean on.

I think a requirement of a Freddie based staff would be a top DC.  Without one in his pocket I doubt he gets the gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I think a requirement of a Freddie based staff would be a top DC.  Without one in his pocket I doubt he gets the gig.

Agreed.

Altho recent news has Bowles and Leftwich going to TB, as it appears Arians is putting the band back together....

Can actually confirm this from a decent source. Expect Bowles as DC, Harold Goodwin as OC, Leftwhich QB’s, Amos Jones ST, and Kevin Ross on staff as well. Will post more as I hear it.

At least he's taking Amos Jones with him.  That is the one coach I can't wait to replace.  :yuck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peak said:

Agreed.

Altho recent news has Bowles and Leftwich going to TB, as it appears Arians is putting the band back together....

Can actually confirm this from a decent source. Expect Bowles as DC, Harold Goodwin as OC, Leftwhich QB’s, Amos Jones ST, and Kevin Ross on staff as well. Will post more as I hear it.

At least he's taking Amos Jones with him.  That is the one coach I can't wait to replace.  :yuck:

seriously. how’s that guy keep getting jobs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Billick: The Browns are positioned to be a Super Bowl contending team in the next 2 years Listen to the podcast here

Super Bowl winning coach and NFL Network analyst Brian Nillick joined Anthony Lima and Jonathan Peterlin (in for Ken Carman) to talk about the Cleveland Browns coaching search and the playoffs.

------------------------------

Statistical breakdown of team, targeting weak areas that need improvement.

------------------------------

YOUR NFL TEAM CAN BE BETTER And here's your advanced stats guide, updated every week, to show you how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed and completed interviews are?  Eberflus, Freddie, DCampbell, Flores, Williams, Caldwell, and Stefanski?

Not really the list I expected to see after wild card weekend.  Also can't imagine most of these names being on the Dorsey pre-Cle (or even pre-September 2018) HC list.  The last 3 really don't inspire me at all.  I'd be good with the first 3, with Flores as a relative unknown from my perspective in the middle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Report: "Good chance" Freddie Kitchens will be Browns head coach https://t.co/bYL8fxb82x

Decoded - someone from the Browns wants Mary Kay to report this, but whether it's real or not?  Good question.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Decoded - someone from the Browns wants Mary Kay to report this, but whether it's real or not?  Good question.

Heard from my brother's cousin's uncle that Dorsey was at Hopkins airport and gave a thumbs up when someone yelled to him: "Hire Freddie!"   :lmao:

In all seriousness, I have read a few different sources saying the same thing.  Kitchens interviewed very well, and there is a solid movement behind him being the next HC.  The idea that Stefanski is back in CLE today meeting with the group could be more for an OC role under Kitchens, as he is not under contract right now.  I've also heard that if Kitchens gets the role, then look at Tuna's coaching tree for potential DCs.  Pagano and Fox are two that came up in conversation, especially if Bowles is going to TB with Arians.

If it is Kitchens, we should know quickly (24-48hrs).  If this conversation goes into the weekend, then odds are it will be someone outside the organization like Eberfus, as we'll have to wait for the teams to conclude playing.

Exciting time as some smoke is finally coming out of Berea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Decoded - someone from the Browns wants Mary Kay to report this, but whether it's real or not?  Good question.

fair point, but what would the motivation be?

its not going to make anyone who hasnt interviewed yet any more likely to come in. 

salary negotiation?  ugh, i sure hope not. 

maybe there’s someone they want who won’t commit yet?  trying to force their hand?  

someone who is reluctant to keep Kitchens?

none of these are great scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's Kitchens then I agree they have all the incentive to do this asap.  Stefanski's contract just expired, so ink him before he re-signs with Minnesota. And try to get Bowles before Arians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peak said:

Heard from my brother's cousin's uncle

You could have just said I heard from my Dad...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, amnesiac said:

fair point, but what would the motivation be?

its not going to make anyone who hasnt interviewed yet any more likely to come in. 

salary negotiation?  ugh, i sure hope not. 

maybe there’s someone they want who won’t commit yet?  trying to force their hand?  

someone who is reluctant to keep Kitchens?

none of these are great scenarios. 

No clue. It's just since Dorsey took over absolutely nothing comes out of that building that's actually true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bobcat10 said:

Equally excited and scared ####less if Freddie is our next HC.

Nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

If it's Kitchens then I agree they have all the incentive to do this asap.  Stefanski's contract just expired, so ink him before he re-signs with Minnesota. And try to get Bowles before Arians.

Bowels is super loyal to Arians and Arians is super loyal to Bowles - if he knows Arians is getting the TB job then he's going there imo (although the Browns have more to work with).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Bowels is super loyal to Arians and Arians is super loyal to Bowles - if he knows Arians is getting the TB job then he's going there imo (although the Browns have more to work with).

Between that last point and also having worked with Kitchens before I think it's well within the range of potential outcomes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapoport is saying Stefanski and Kitchens are the (known) finalists.  

 

Something has got to be crossed there.  They aren't bringing Stefanski back to Berea to pit him against Kitchens.  Maybe it's the old "follow up / 2nd interview" I guess.  I'd say odds are they're working on an arranged marriage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Rapoport is saying Stefanski and Kitchens are the (known) finalists.  

 

Something has got to be crossed there.  They aren't bringing Stefanski back to Berea to pit him against Kitchens.  Maybe it's the old "follow up / 2nd interview" I guess.  I'd say odds are they're working on an arranged marriage.  

If I'm reading right Stefanski's contract ends today, so I imagine they can't formally "interview" him for OC until tomorrow.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Rapoport is saying Stefanski and Kitchens are the (known) finalists.  

 

Something has got to be crossed there.  They aren't bringing Stefanski back to Berea to pit him against Kitchens.  Maybe it's the old "follow up / 2nd interview" I guess.  I'd say odds are they're working on an arranged marriage.  

I think the 2nd interview for HC is an assumption, since he's the only one brought back to Berea.  I have to think that it's to see if he can be an OC under Freddie.  Stefanski worked in KC under Childress, and also with Favre in GB (i think).  So I'm sure he was a dark horse candidate Dorsey had on his list.  It'll be interesting to see if an arrangement can be made.  Two pretty good offensive minds, 1 that worked directly with Baker, and another who worked with a similarly skilled QB in Favre.  

I'm guessing...but if FK is hired as HC, majority of the offensive staff will remain:

HC: Kitchens

OC: Stefanski?

TE: ???

QB: Lindley or Zampese?

WR: Henry

OL: Wylie

ST: Amos is gone!!!

DC: Fox? Bowles? Pagano?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Peak said:

ST: Amos is gone!!!

 

DC: Fox? Bowles? Pagano?

Bolded is the only thing I care about. How he remained employed through the whole season is a mystery to me.

Throw Greg Schiano in for DC as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Bowels is super loyal to Arians and Arians is super loyal to Bowles - if he knows Arians is getting the TB job then he's going there imo (although the Browns have more to work with).

Trevor Sikkema‏Verified account @TampaBayTre 3m3 minutes ago

Can confirm that #Bucs new head coach Bruce Arians will be bringing former #Jets head coach Todd Bowles on staff as defensive coordinator. Team finalizing Bowles' contract now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arians is running offense. Had Bowles lined up. Leftwich passing game coordinator.

McDaniels would have done same with the offense.

Seems like a real good chance Freddie was priority #1 based on who we did and didn’t interview.

Burning the midnight oil in Berea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scary thing to me right now is that Childress has resigned as a HC from the AAF Lg.  He has ties to Stafanski.  Right now it's just a game of connect the dots, but I really don't want to see Childress back on the Browns sidelines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not gonna bag on the Freddie hire, but I have some concerns about how it looks.

Freddie was successful at running the offense.  So now someone else is going to be running the offense.  So not only is someone else going to be running the offense, Freddie has zero experience as an NFL head coach and only minimal experience as a coordinator.  

If they plan to have Freddie calling plays ala Hue Style, I am not gonna be real thrilled.  

Edited by ghostguy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

If they plan to have Freddie calling plays ala Hue Style, I am not gonna be real thrilled. 

That's what it will be, ala McVey, Payton, etc.  Freddie needs to find that experienced DC to help him on that side of the ball.  Maybe even a vet OC to help learn the ropes...?

Happy for Freddie!  If we went in house, that is the guy I wanted.  Now lets see him build his coaching staff!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I am not gonna bag on the Freddie hire, but I have some concerns about how it looks.

Freddie was successful at running the offense.  So now someone else is going to be running the offense.  So not only is someone else going to be running the offense, Freddie has zero experience as an NFL head coach and only minimal experience as a coordinator.  

If they plan to have Freddie calling plays ala Hue Style, I am not gonna be real thrilled.  

I'm only concerned about all that if he doesn't bring in an OC.  I also prefer the unknown of him as a head coach than I do the known issues with McCarthy and Gase.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peak said:

That's what it will be, ala McVey, Payton, etc.  Freddie needs to find that experienced DC to help him on that side of the ball.  Maybe even a vet OC to help learn the ropes...?

Happy for Freddie!  If we went in house, that is the guy I wanted.  Now lets see him build his coaching staff!

I'm not expecting a vet OC - since it probably won't come with play calling I think it'll be a former position coach.  The DC hire is critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GW has been relieved of his duties.  I'm sure he can pick up one of his many HC offers he's been texted.

Interesting Allbright tweet:

Browns bet on the guy that turned Baker around.  Wasn't their original plan, and some withdrew their candidacy over Browns insistence on keeping him. Interested to see how it works.

Stefanski also went back to MIN as their OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC_32 said:

I'm not expecting a vet OC - since it probably won't come with play calling I think it'll be a former position coach.  The DC hire is critical.

Agreed on both fronts.  I was just trying to make @ghostguy123 feel better.  :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peak said:

That’s basically what I said last night. Look at who we interviewed and when. We were supposed to get the ear of anyone we wanted to.

People keep talking about the window we have before Baker and others need to get paid. I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him. I hope Dorsey and Co aren’t just going with their gut here. But, let’s get cookin’!!!

 

And what happened with Taub in all of this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, beer 30 said:

Bolded is the only thing I care about. How he remained employed through the whole season is a mystery to me.

Throw Greg Schiano in for DC as well.

I am not a fan of his.

OSU's D was pretty horrible most of the year.

 

I'd be good with Pagano as the DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldnt we just have signed Freddie as the OC for like 5 years and pay him head coach money?  Then hire a head coach?

They must really love the guy, so at least that is encouraging

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

It could be too much too soon for him.

Freddie's been in the league for 14 years, and worked under some really smart HCs during that time.  He appears smart and quick-witted, so I'm sure he's learned quite a bit just by being in the room.  The big guy may talk slow, but it doesn't mean he thinks slow.

3 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Couldnt we just have signed Freddie as the OC for like 5 years and pay him head coach money?  Then hire a head coach?

I'm thinking that wouldn't have worked.  Look at LeFleur in GB now.  He had one year as a play-calling OC and got snatched up quick.  Stefanski impressed enough for a 2nd HC interview and he had less time as a play-calling OC than Freddie.  I think it's good that teams are considering younger coaches for the HC spot and breaking traditional routines.  Offenses are becoming more creative and innovative, and teams that are accepting that have been picking up a HC that is just as creative and innovative offensively.  With the rules in place to showcase QBs and score often, it makes sense.

Plus, I doubt any HC candidate would have agreed to only sign a 5yr deal - nor would Freddie have hung around for 5 yrs to learn.  Even if Freddie was retained as OC for the next HC, odds are he would be the hot candidate next year after he and Baker tear this league apart in 2019. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

That’s basically what I said last night. Look at who we interviewed and when. We were supposed to get the ear of anyone we wanted to.

People keep talking about the window we have before Baker and others need to get paid. I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him. I hope Dorsey and Co aren’t just going with their gut here. But, let’s get cookin’!!!

 

And what happened with Taub in all of this? 

Where do most coaching hires come from?  Coordinators and positional coaches.  Look around the league - how many "experienced coaches" are currently out there?  7, and one of them is freakin Gruden.  If Dorsey wasn't bringing in someone from Kansas City I'm not going to question it.  The names we kept hearing over and over again in November and December - they're rooted in buddy-buddy relationships with certain media members then spread because they're the only names out there.  Ultimately this hire was probably going to come from downstream, so if you're not blown away by the downstream options on other teams why wouldn't you just pick the one you're already familiar with (and like!)?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Couldnt we just have signed Freddie as the OC for like 5 years and pay him head coach money?  Then hire a head coach?

They must really love the guy, so at least that is encouraging

Fantasy land - not real world.  If you don't hire him as head coach and the team does well then he will leave for another head coaching position.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

I am not a fan of his.

OSU's D was pretty horrible most of the year.

I'd be good with Pagano as the DC.

Oh I hate Schiano as a DC, he was terrible at OSU. Just bringing up that he is available now since Ryan Day thinks like we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bold. 

but makes sense. if they wanted a younger up and coming coach (unproven), why gamble on some other team’s guy?  go with the one you already know.  

whether it works or not, should be entertaining.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Peak said:

Freddie's been in the league for 14 years, and worked under some really smart HCs during that time.  He appears smart and quick-witted, so I'm sure he's learned quite a bit just by being in the room.  The big guy may talk slow, but it doesn't mean he thinks slow.

Not disputing any of that. It was still a meteoric rise. I’m excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.