Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

6 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

what type of defense do you think would compliment the Browns offense the best?  

assuming the offense can replicate or possibly improve what they did in the second half of the 2018 season.

My personal preference, I edge more towards an aggressive defense.  I like the attacking style, but also a Defense that understands their assignments and can make a tackle.  This unit has a lot of youth, some speed and an aggressive tendancy.  It needs a disciplined coach to teach the Xs and Os, but also know how to use his player's speed and skills.  I think Wilks would be a good fit, but Pagano would also do well.

From a scheme standpoint, I don't think it matters any more.  All packages are run out of a Nickel base defense.  So a 3-4 or a 4-3 shouldn't really matter.  With that said, some coaches only stay in their lane and don't branch out to try new looks/schemes.  I'd like to see a younger coach who is flexible and not scheme-centric.   Someone who can bend a defense to meet the matchup and exploit weaknesses.  I'm not sure that person exists, but that would be my dream scenario at DC.

35 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

what type of defense do you think would compliment the Browns offense the best? 

I'm with Peak, I lean toward default: aggressive. When in doubt, see ball, get ball. A lot of times coaches over think defense IMO. We've all seen it happen.

I like what Williams started this year but there was still some questionable schemes & formations that had me scratching my head. I know our DL could use another body or two and our LB's need help in a big way but I think it's easier to fill that spot. Could probably use another good CB too. Mainly I don't want whoever that comes in to rock the bhote too much and try to reinvent Garrett. He's a beast, build around that instead of trying to fit him into your scheme. Same way Kitchens transformed the offense but you gotta have a few more bodies to do that on the defensive side.

16 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Looks like Vance Joseph is heading to Arizona

He wasn't tops on my list, so I'm ok with that move.  I think Pagano may go to Tampa.  I'm starting to lean towards Wilks more with his Carolina tendencies.  I think he'll offer more of the aggressive/flexible defensive structure as opposed to Pagano's more conservative approach.

15 minutes ago, Peak said:

He wasn't tops on my list, so I'm ok with that move.  I think Pagano may go to Tampa.  I'm starting to lean towards Wilks more with his Carolina tendencies.  I think he'll offer more of the aggressive/flexible defensive structure as opposed to Pagano's more conservative approach.

Some talking head on 92.3 said Joseph would be a perfect fit but honestly I don't know one from the other. Figure they were all former HC's so I like that. Getting the DC job should be like vacation to them so they can come with some new devilish plans to unleash the Browns D in 2019.

Meet your new Special Teams Coordinator

Mike Priefer tells me he has agreed to join the #Browns as special teams coordinator. The #Vikings offered him a contract. #Lions and #Falcons also interviewed him and several other teams showed interest, but he’s headed to Cleveland and excited.

Blurb from PFF re: Vikings Special Teams Rankings in 2019:

#Vikings special teams rankings since @PFF started grading: 2013: 7th 2014: 16th 2015: 3rd 2016: 7th 2017: 2nd 2018: 10th Overall, the Vikings have had the third-highest-graded special teams units, behind only the Chiefs and the Patriots. Mike Priefer is an excellent coach.  It's worth noting that they finished the year ranked 3rd overall in ST.  Priefer has beeing with MIN since Leslie Frazier (2001) and has consistently had them working at a high level.

The only hit on Priefer (and the Vikings ST) is that they went through 5 kickers this year (who hasn't?), and he can be arrogant (unconfirmed).  For the most part, he looks like a solid pick up and one that was being sought after by other teams in need of a solid ST Coach.  Should be a good step up from Amos.

Info on STC

Edited by Peak
link and dates

Ooooohhhh....May be a new leader in the CLE DC Clubhouse.....I always liked the way that NYG DL played, and Spags was pretty innovative with his line rotations.  It would be interesting to see what he could bring to CLE.

While the #Browns have former #AZCardinals coach Steve Wilks in to interview for their vacant DC job, they’ve also been calling around to people who’ve worked with and know well former #Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo. They could bring him in over the weekend.

For those that don't remember Spags DL taking down Brady in the SB....

Spagnuolo learned under Philadelphia coach Jim Johnson, and shares the same aggressive, blitz-heavy approach as his mentor. (He did not incorporate this philosophy during his time in New Orleans however). Spagnuolo uses a 4–3 base defense with a heavy emphasis on multiple blitz packages, including corner and safety blitzes. While defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, he often used a smaller defensive line, with three or even four defensive ends to further pressure the quarterback.

This philosophy proved successful, with the Giants leading the NFL in sacks in 2007. In Super Bowl XLII, Spagnuolo's defense sacked Tom Brady five times, which was the most he had been sacked in any game that season.

2 hours ago, Peak said:

Should be a good step up from Amos.

I don't know you from Adam Peak and place more trust in your ability to coach Special Teams than famous Amos.

2 hours ago, Peak said:

Ooooohhhh....May be a new leader in the CLE DC Clubhouse.....I always liked the way that NYG DL played, and Spags was pretty innovative with his line rotations.  It would be interesting to see what he could bring to CLE.

While the #Browns have former #AZCardinals coach Steve Wilks in to interview for their vacant DC job, they’ve also been calling around to people who’ve worked with and know well former #Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo. They could bring him in over the weekend.

For those that don't remember Spags DL taking down Brady in the SB....

:thumbup: Make Garrett into even more of a beast!

• Like 1

what do we know about Wilks?

looks like he’s a 4-3 guy, which i believe is what the Browns are currently running?  i’ve honestly lost track because they change it so often. 

11 hours ago, amnesiac said:

what do we know about Wilks?

looks like he’s a 4-3 guy, which i believe is what the Browns are currently running?  i’ve honestly lost track because they change it so often. 

Wilks learned under Sean McDermott at Carolina. He was DC for a year with the Panthers, and he did well. The next year he was hired by the Cardinals to be the HC. I was hoping the Panthers would hire him back as DC, but Rivera is going to call the defensive plays for the 2019 season. 

• Thanks 1

Really looking forward to the Kitchens/Monken combo.  Both have very similar philosophies on making explosive plays, converting 3rd downs, and going for a TD over a FG.  This fits right into Baker's wheelhouse, as he was pretty much perfect in the Red Zone this year.  Can't wait to see what they do with an entire offseason to work and plot together.  Should be a lot of fun!

The coaching staff in general is lining up to be one of the best CLE has seen since 1999.  Some strong names with great backgrounds.  While I like the Monken and Wilks hires, I love getting Campen as the OL Coach.  Grabbing him from GB is a great move!  He brings a ton of knowledge and a pedigree of having consistently top ranked OLs.  Tretter also worked with him in GB, so that familiarity should help bring this squad together a little faster.  Adding Priefer as the ST coach is a good move as well, not to mention Stump as RB coach.  Can't wait to see what this team can do come next season!!

HC - Freddie Kitchens 
OC - Todd Monken 
QB - Ryan Lindley 
RB - Stump Mitchell 
WR - Adam Henry 
OL - James Campen 
TE - TBD 

DC - Steve Wilks 
DB - Dewayne Walker 
LB - TBD
DL - TBD

StC - Mike Priefer

PC is scheduled for this morning to formally introduce Kitchens as the HC.  Wonder if he carries over from his Twitter intro of "I'm your new head coach, Freddie Kitchens.  Let's Roll." :lmao:

• Like 2

Great quote from our new OC Todd Monken who is known for his ties to the 'Air Raid' offensive system

---------------------------------

“We don’t need more 5-yard plays. Who needs more 5-yard plays? How can we be explosive? That’s what the game is about, man. People like big plays. I like big plays.

"So how do we figure out how to get big plays? In football trick plays are fun. I mean, what isn’t fun about explosive plays and throwing it down the field and guys making plays?”

- Todd Monken

-----------------------------------

Chris B. Brown‏Verified account @smartfootball Chris B. Brown Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Pretty interesting - Monken is one of the rare NFL OCs who coached a pure Air Raid system in college, at Oklahoma State. Baker Mayfield of course played in another Air Raid variant. They can talk about 95 Y-Cross

Chris B. Brown added,  Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

Source: Former #Bucs OC Todd Monken is headed to Cleveland. He’s agreed to terms with the #Browns to be their offensive coordinator. Along with the coming hire of Steve Wilks as DC, that’s a high-powered staff.

5:36 PM - 13 Jan 2019

-----------------------------------

Todd Monken runs a progressive, fun offense that should appeal to any quarterback. Jan 6, 2019

...Monken runs a big-play, deep passing offense that targets the middle and deep sections of the field, stretches defenses, and makes them defend every inch of territory. Monken trusted his passing game to work despite lackluster quarterbacks in retread Ryan Fitzpatrick and bust Jameis Winston. Fitzpatrick in particular thrived in Monken’ offense, hitting big play after big play to lead one of the league’s best passing offenses and finishing 5th in DVOA.

Monken was also involved in one of the strangest incidents of the season, when head coach Dirk Koetter took over play-calling duties for the November 11th game against Washington. Koetter, who was fired after the season, never explained why he did this:

“After the game, Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter revealed he took over play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Todd Monken, but he wasn’t forthcoming on why he made the change. 'My own reasons,' Koetter responded when asked what spurred the change.”

Monken’s offenses had scored 48, 27, 27, 10 (Bears), 29, 26, 34, and 28 points. Under Koetter they scored three. The next week, they were back to Monken and back to 35 points against the Giants.

...Monken’s offense is fun and progressive and he was, as far as anyone could tell, the only adult on the Tampa staff. 

Browns hire former Packers OL coach James Campen & OC candidate Todd Monken 6 Two individuals with Packers ties are joining forces in Cleveland.  Jan 14, 2019

...they find themselves needing to replace their longest-tenured coach overall. James Campen had been coaching the offensive line in some capacity in Green Bay since 2004, before Mike McCarthy’s arrival as the head coach. Now, he is moving on to a new opportunity.

Campen has agreed to become the associate head coach/offensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns, taking that position under new head coach Freddie Kitchens. ESPN’s Rob Demovsky first reported the news. That first title is a step up for Campen, who spent 2018 as the Packers’ offensive run game coordinator and o-line coach after coaching just the offensive line since 2007

• Like 1

I don't tend to listen to a lot of HC PC only because they are so dry and boring.  Knowing Freddie's demeanor over the last half of the season, I tuned in to hear if he would be the same guy.....and he most definitely was!  Very refreshing to hear a guy who looks and sounds like a lunch-pail kind of guy take interest in being the HC of the Browns.  He was very humble and respectful, and also sounded like a normal every day person.  He fumbled his words like a father trying to yell at one of his kids, going through the list until he got to the right one.  He spoke candidly and said the right words in the right way, IMO.  He didn't come out stuffy and robotic.  He didn't sit there trying to put on a show.  He was down to earth and was genuine.  Really good start.

Some of my favorite lines...

"I'm not a finished product.  Don't think I've made it.  [talking to reporters] You haven't made it.  Nobody's made it.  As I told Baker, you're never a finished product."  This guy is always looking to grow and learn.  Really like that about a person, and speaks alot to how he is approaching this HC position.  He wants to ask questions of others and find the answers.  It's not his way, it's what works best for the situation.  Really cool that Parcells called him twice (before he was HC, then after announcement) to congratulate him.  The same with Saban.  He has a network to use, and there are some very football smart people in his cell phone.

"I'm not a popular choice, and I don't care."  He's not going to let the critics get him down.  He has a job to do, and he's going to tune out the noise and get it done.

"I can't take credit for our offense, or 'putting my stamp on it.' Everyone came together to turn it around."  His first meeting with the offense after Hue/Haley left wasn't about Xs and Os, but about trust and teamwork.  Everyone had a say into the playbook - what they felt they did right or well would be incorporated.  Freddie adapted to his players strengths and accepted their feedback - even during games.  There was a quote from Landry a couple of weeks ago that showed he went up to Kitchens in a game, said I can beat the DB on this route.  The next offensive series, Kitchen called that play and Baker hit Landry for a 30-40yrd gain.  

"If you don't wear orange and brown, you don't matter."  Love this approach.

"Was I ready to be a head coach?  I don't know.  Were you ready to be a parent?"  Great answer, and one that is relatable.  There are uncertainties and will be some learning curves.  It's how Freddie will react to those situations, learn, and grow from them.  There's no manual or secret gimmick.  Every HC situation is different and unique.

Oh....and :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ wearing a hat with a suit during the PC.  My kinda coach!

Edited by Peak
hat

He's a hayseed but damn it, he's OUR hayseed!

I love him, never stop being you Freddie!

• Like 1

A caller said the suit he was wearing looked like it was dug out of his grandpa's closet from the 1970s.  The guy is the genuine article.

Couple of things:

Most important hire for a HC is the OC and establishing a relationship with the QB.  We got that and the fantastic thing is Monken can run the offensive meeting, do installs, help game plan but Freddie is going to be the primary game day play caller.  I would not have felt as comfortable with a first time HC also calling plays without Monken on board.

Second most important hire is obviously the DC.  Don't know a ton about the DC but he did well enough in Carolina to be named a HC.

Third most important hire is the O-Line coach and we got one of the best in the entire NFL with James Campen.  I don't know how we stole him from Green Bay but I'm thankful.

Outside of the new coaches I suspected that as the former QB of the Crimson Tide that Freddie would still have close ties with people down in Bama so I like that Saban has made a few calls to Kitch to congratulate him.  They happen to have a few players that would look good in Orange and Brown.

Ahem, Dorsey mentioned that his next step is going down to Bama for the Senior Bowl.  I would hope Freddie's close ties with the Tide could provide some helpful insider tips.

Missed this one, but another great observation from Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN):

Important point made by new head coach Freddie Kitchens: offense and terminology will remain the same with new OC Todd Monken "he understands that him learning something new is a hell of a lot easier than 90-something other guys

Is that the voice of reason I hear calling?  Yes....Yes...I think it is....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Outside of the new coaches I suspected that as the former QB of the Crimson Tide that Freddie would still have close ties with people down in Bama so I like that Saban has made a few calls to Kitch to congratulate him.  They happen to have a few players that would look good in Orange and Brown.

Ahem, Dorsey mentioned that his next step is going down to Bama for the Senior Bowl.  I would hope Freddie's close ties with the Tide could provide some helpful insider tips.

Reports say we will hire the Alabama Director of Player Personnel.

--------------------------------------------

Tim Watts@TimWatts_BOL

BREAKING: Sources indicate former Alabama Director of Player Personnel Jody Wright (@WrightJody) is headed to the NFL with Freddie Kitchens and the Cleveland Browns. This year Wright was OL coach/Assistant HC at UAB. @247Sports @TheOBR

7:05 PM - Jan 13, 2019

======================

Went back to look at what the board was talking about one year ago today.

• DeShone Kizer as our #1 QB
  • Talk about trading for QB Alex Smith 
  • Complaining about Hue Jackson as our HC
  • Pie in the sky posts about Josh Gordon as our #1 WR
  • High hopes for Todd Haley to be our new OC

We've come a long way in one year.

• Baker Mayfield as our franchise QB 
  • Freddie Kinchens as our new HC
  • Monken as our new OC
  • Legit talk about hoisting the Lombardi Trophy

Thinking we'd have a rookie QB setting the all-time first year NFL record for TDs breaking Peyton Manning's record, winning 7 and a half games, and actually talking about taking the next step to winning the Super Bowl, in one year.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

That's pretty good.  I've watched it a couple of times and still can't help but laugh.

1 minute ago, Peak said:

That's pretty good.  I've watched it a couple of times and still can't help but laugh.

If you think that is good you have to check out the introductory PC of Adam Gase to the Jets and what the Internet came up with.

-----------------------

Adam Gase crazy eye video

NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate

Internet remains undefeated. #Tacos.

3:19 PM - 14 Jan 2019

16 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

If you think that is good you have to check out the introductory PC of Adam Gase to the Jets and what the Internet came up with.

Ha....that's good too.  I'm so very happy we dodged a bullet with that guy as HC.  There is something off with him.  I don't know how the players can unite behind a guy who randomly stares out in space like he's trying to watch a fly buzz around his head.

3 hours ago, Peak said:

Ha....that's good too.  I'm so very happy we dodged a bullet with that guy as HC.  There is something off with him.  I don't know how the players can unite behind a guy who randomly stares out in space like he's trying to watch a fly buzz around his head.

seriously, does he have a medical condition?

Cameron Wolfe, who covered Gase’s Dolphins for ESPN, clarified it is not health-related — Gase was probably just nervous.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“I’ve got four texts about Adam Gase’s eyes during his 15-min NYJ pressers,” he tweeted. “Those are normal. He’s an intense guy, but he’ll probably be more relaxed in less formal settings.”

wtf?

Some good news on the LB Coach front....

Former Cardinals def. coordinator Al Holcomb drawing interest from multiple teams, per source. The ex-Panthers LBs coach interviewing Wed. in Cleveland, where Steve Wilks is the new Browns' DC.

Take his time as AZ DC out of the equation, and he looks like a solid hire.  He did a great job with Carolina as LB Coach, plus it could open doors for Thomas Davis to move over to CLE and bring a veteran presence to help the acclimation to Wilks' schemes.

Updates on the Coaching Staff:

HC- Freddie Kitchens 
Special Asst. to HC- Jody Wright 
STC- Mike Preifer

OC- Todd Monken 
OLC/Assoc. HC- James Campen 
RB coach/Run game coordinator- Stump Mitchell 
WR Coach- Adam Henry 
QB Coach- Ryan Lindley 
Off. QC- Tyler Tettleton 
Off. QC- Jim Dray

DC- Steve Wilks 
Sr. Def. Specialist- Chris Jones 
DL Coach- Tosh Lupoi 
LB Coach- Al Holcomb 
DB Coach- DeWayne Walker 
Asst. DB Coach- Joe Whitt

Pretty nice coaching tree Freddie is creating in CLE.  All hires are coming in highly regarded, not just from the NFL but also CFL and College Ranks.

BREAKING: #Alabama DC Tosh Lupoi is going to take a job on the Cleveland Browns staff, coaching the D-line, per source. Was a huge recruiting force the Tide as primary recruiter for Tua, Jonah Williams, Raekwon Davis, Najee Harris, Alex Leatherwood, Trevon Diggs & Dylan Moses

BREAKING: Sources say #Riders Head Coach Chris Jones has interviewed today with the Cleveland Browns & they are hiring him in a defensive capacity. Details to come. Jones had an NFL out clause in his #CFL contract. Expect Jeremy O'Day to take over as GM

Both of these hires have ties to AL and Freddie Kitchens.  Tosh is one of those guys who can build immediate relationships with the DL (vets and rookies).  He's played the role and is good at getting the best out of his players by having them focus on their own skillsets.  In other words, he figures out what the players do well and focuses on those natural abilities.  Great hire that has a good pedigree.  I can see him taking over as DC in a couple of years.

Chris Jones was a GA at AL when Freddie was there.  Jones has turned around every CFL franchise he's been with over the years.  A former CFL Coach of the Year has agreed to come to CLE to work as a Defensive Specialist.  Again, another potential future DC candidate to join the Browns to learn and grow.

All of the coaching hires to date feel very Parcells-like, in that they are smart football minded people who are able to get the best/most out of their players.  Freddie is building a great staff, possibly the best I've seen in decades.  It's almost like he's thinking 2-3 years ahead and hiring potential star coaches in younger roles to develop and grow here.  He's already planning on Monken and Wilks exit by hiring their replacements now and growing them.  It's a luxury CLE fans haven't fathomed in years!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

"Can't believe he went on the Late Show by himself.  Just shows he's not a team player.  Why not let your Oline nuzzle the emu Baker?  Why is your face plastered everywhere?  Just an egotistical, spoiled little boy doing spoiled, "look at me" types of things.  Bet he even missed his WRs Bday party just to do this tv show.  Shameful Baker.  You don't see Sam Darnold making a spectacle of himself!  That's why I have Darnold rated as the better QB." - Colin Cowherd tomorrow morning

35 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i love the competitiveness.

HA, I noticed that as well.  Competitive and still having fun.

3rd page?!?!  Just proves what a Franchise QB, solid HC, and respectable GM can do to a fanbase.  We're normally here debating the merits of our next HC or what QB is shining in the Sr Bowl and NFL Pre-Draft workouts.  Now it's like a ghost town!!

:tumbleweed:

Just now, Peak said:

3rd page?!?!  Just proves what a Franchise QB, solid HC, and respectable GM can do to a fanbase.  We're normally here debating the merits of our next HC or what QB is shining in the Sr Bowl and NFL Pre-Draft workouts.  Now it's like a ghost town!!

:tumbleweed:

Calm before the storm.  Late February-mid March, get your popcorn ready...

• Like 1

To get back on track...

MKC put out a decent article on the latest news of Player Contract Extensions.  Of note, Robinson, Higgins, and Perriman - all of which I am excited to bring back for next year, and many more to come!

Dorsey said talks have begun for receivers Breshad Perriman and Rashard Higgins, who are both set to become free agents in March. 

Baker Mayfield likes both, and both made big plays for him down the stretch. Perriman brings blazing speed, and flourished with the Browns. Higgins has been a Mayfield favorite since training camp. Both receivers have told cleveland.com they want to sign extensions.

"We've had conversations with [their] representatives and we'll continue to have conversations,'' said Dorsey. "Once we get the chance to get the new coaching staff in place and we have an assessment of our team and the positions, then I'll be able to better answer that question."

Like Perriman, Robinson was a first-round "bust'' who had his career resurrected in part by Mayfield believing in him. The Browns are now also trying to extend Robinson's contract, and he told cleveland.com he wants to be back.

"I like Greg and I like everything he represents,'' said Dorsey. "With regard to could he be our left tackle, we've had ongoing conversations with his representatives.''

At 26, the former No. 2 overall pick is still in the prime of his career. He'll have a veteran offensive line coach in James Campen, formerly of the Packers, guiding him.  

"I totally expected Greg to play well,'' said Dorsey. "He's a very young man who has incredible athletic gifts. Sometimes you have to be a little patient with guys like that. You have to earn their trust. He did everything he was asked and everything we thought he would since we signed him in late June.''

That doesn't mean Dorsey has given up on undrafted rookie left tackle Desmond Harrison. 

"He got exposed to a lot early, and it's always good to step back,'' he said. "Getting thrust in that position was hard but I thought he was really good. So now how do we grow? Learn from our mistakes, build from our mistakes and move forward. This offseason, he has a lot to build on because he's a mighty talented individual.'' 

Not surprised but happy to read Dorsey's still optimistic about Harrison.  The situation those dummies put him in last year was unfair to him, setting him up to fail.  Give him a full offseason and an opportunity to earn a job in camp then see where the cards fall.

i'm cool with re-signing Perriman and Higgins, as long as they're cheap.

Mayfield is the type of QB that can make almost any receiver look good.

3 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Not surprised but happy to read Dorsey's still optimistic about Harrison.  The situation those dummies put him in last year was unfair to him, setting him up to fail.  Give him a full offseason and an opportunity to earn a job in camp then see where the cards fall.

if they want Harrison to compete for the starting job, they have to be careful what kind of contract they offer Robinson, and strongly consider letting him walk.

20 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

if they want Harrison to compete for the starting job, they have to be careful what kind of contract they offer Robinson, and strongly consider letting him walk.

If you think Robinson is a starter then you sign him.  If Harrison pushes him then that's a good thing for both of them.  Whether that means Harrison starts the season on the bench, Robinson at LT and Harrison at RT, or vice versa.  Competition and contingency plans are good things.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I think anyone this FO brings in, they want that player to compete for a starting job.  That shouldn't necessitate the type/longevity of a deal presented to another player in the same position.  If both prevail, then hooray we have depth!  If one falls short, you have someone to help man the position until the other one either learns or is led out the door.

Harrison is a good story, but a UDFA for some reason.  He was rushed into a bad situation thanks to our former Coach of the Year candidate and his undermining OC.  Give the kid another year to learn and develop.  In the meantime, we have a rehabilitated first round pick at LT who is starting to shine and come back to life.  I don't let that go until he shows me he's not worth it.

6 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

If you think Robinson is a starter then you sign him.  If Harrison pushes him then that's a good thing for both of them.  Whether that means Harrison starts the season on the bench, Robinson at LT and Harrison at RT, or vice versa.  Competition and contingency plans are good things.

i agree. 

just saying you can’t overpay Robinson starting LT money if you legitimately think Harrison can push him for the job. 

its a fine balance, for sure.  

also as an aside, i’ve noticed a lot of people say things like, “just put him at right tackle”.  i’m not sure it works that way. some guys can do it, but that seems like the exception.  

1 hour ago, amnesiac said:

i agree. 

just saying you can’t overpay Robinson starting LT money if you legitimately think Harrison can push him for the job. 

its a fine balance, for sure.  

The last thing Mayfield needs is to worry about his backside.

He's stated that he's comfortable with Robinson as his LT. 

Not something to fool around with.  Sign him.

Edited by mr fancypants
  • Like 1