What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

they lost 7 games to finish the season.that's pathetic and it's high time we stop making excuses for this team.
A REASON isn the same as an excuse. No team is winning with the worst QBs and the worst RBs in football.

But, isn't firing the coach making an excuse saying it was the coach?

Bottom line, my god we look stupid by firing Chud and losing Norv and Horton.
Why? Because we don't have a replacement yet? They should keep a coach they don't believe in just to not look stupid or to retain the assistants? Not many wanted to lose Jauron but I think it's pretty clear we have talent on defense that alot of coordinators can work with.

:lmao:

Adam Gase - C - Broncos
Broncos OC Adam Gase has withdrawn his name from the Browns head-coaching search.
Not a surprise. Reports all along have been that Gase planned to remain with the Broncos for another season. He called the Browns and informed them that he's going to focus on the Super Bowl, and they can move on without him. It never really made sense for 35-year-old Gase to go to a dysfunctional organization like Cleveland after just one season of coordinating experience. The Browns will now likely set their sights on Seahawks DC Dan Quinn and Bills DC Mike Pettine, but we really have no idea where this search is headed. And the Browns likely don't either

Smart man

:lmao:

Adam Gase - C - Broncos
Broncos OC Adam Gase has withdrawn his name from the Browns head-coaching search.
Not a surprise. Reports all along have been that Gase planned to remain with the Broncos for another season. He called the Browns and informed them that he's going to focus on the Super Bowl, and they can move on without him. It never really made sense for 35-year-old Gase to go to a dysfunctional organization like Cleveland after just one season of coordinating experience. The Browns will now likely set their sights on Seahawks DC Dan Quinn and Bills DC Mike Pettine, but we really have no idea where this search is headed. And the Browns likely don't either

Smart man
where's this from, i know some people that need this info

nevermind, found it

Last edited by a moderator:
they lost 7 games to finish the season.that's pathetic and it's high time we stop making excuses for this team.
A REASON isn the same as an excuse. No team is winning with the worst QBs and the worst RBs in football.

But, isn't firing the coach making an excuse saying it was the coach?

Bottom line, my god we look stupid by firing Chud and losing Norv and Horton.
Why? Because we don't have a replacement yet? They should keep a coach they don't believe in just to not look stupid or to retain the assistants? Not many wanted to lose Jauron but I think it's pretty clear we have talent on defense that alot of coordinators can work with.
Part of it is that we don't have a replacement yes. That part of it just adds to how silly they look that that dont believe in a guy they just hired less than a year ago to a 4 year deal.

Whether they believe in him or not, they are now stuck with that will likely be a worse and less prepared coach.

But when you sign a WR right out of the psych ward, I guess.....................ah whatever. Every time I say we can't look worse, something comes out where we look worse.

As of today right now, we can't possibly look any worse than we do........................................so whats gonna happen next to make me wrong again?

this is embarrassing as all hell, right?
Never seen anything quite like it, and probably never will again.

Each individual part of this thing is a ridicuous mess of idiocy and shame. Add it all up and the sum of the parts look like the steaming pile my dog just laid in the front yard.

Not that I am that huge of a fan of Kylie and Booms in the morning (decent show, not the greatest), but when they were talking about Bess and the psych ward I almost lost control of the car.

here's the spin...

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter6m
A Browns official said this morning CLEV will not wait around to hire Broncos OC Adam Gase. @RapSheet says Gase withdrawing his name.
Does this mean we will approach Mcdaniels for the 3rd time and continue to try and Jedi mind trick him?
at some point will they cave and go to tressell?

i mean, for a large portion of their fans it would make them forget all the futility leading up to it

I live in ohio and the intersection of buckeye fans and browns fans is enormous

here's the spin...

A Browns official said this morning CLEV will not wait around to hire Broncos OC Adam Gase. @RapSheet says Gase withdrawing his name.
Does this mean we will approach Mcdaniels for the 3rd time and continue to try and Jedi mind trick him?

i mean, for a large portion of their fans it would make them forget all the futility leading up to it

I hope not. God I hope not.

here's the spin...

I hope not. God I hope not.
around here people are furious that they have not interviewed him, I am sure this latest news will rile them up more

Is there any chance Josh Gordon is going to want to stay in this mess?

Can see his agent now on the horn around the league... Guaranteed a team is willing to dish a 1st rounder (and prob more) after what he did this season. Without a doubt.

Gase could come out of this looking pretty stupid as well in a years time. He probably has some assurance from Manning that if his neck checks out he's certainly coming back.

Gase could come out of this looking pretty stupid as well in a years time. He probably has some assurance from Manning that if his neck checks out he's certainly coming back.
As it turns out, anyone not associated with the Browns just looks stupid. The Browns on the other hand are just Rosy Posey.

Umm, no. No one will receive a red mark from another organization about not wanting to join this team right now.

i was kind of surprised he was a candidate anyway, it seems way premature, and even in a good situation it could have ended badly if he was not prepared for the big seat

Umm, no. No one will receive a red mark from another organization about not wanting to join this team right now.
Not exactly the point. Manning retires then Gase looks normal over an entire season.

Not exactly the point. Manning retires then Gase looks normal over an entire season.
if that happens gates won't look stupid, he'll be forgotten

I'd say both then :yes: . Gotta be tough to turn down millions upon millions of dollars now and maybe not have that opp later.

I'd say both then :yes: . Gotta be tough to turn down millions upon millions of dollars now and maybe not have that opp later.
see, i don;t think someone in his potions sees it as "i could cash in for a few million and perhaps ruin my coaching future, but be paid"

if he goes there and fails he could never get the shot again. The money matters, but he probably believes at some point he'll be a good head coach for a long time, and get more money. Going to the Browns and failing miserably could hurt his long term career prospects

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to be pretty P.O.'d if Buffalo ends up losing Pettine to Cleveland. He's a very good coach. It would doubly suck just because it's hard to build something when you have coaching churn and lose good coordinators. It's one thing if you're a winning organization like Denver, N.E., etc. It hurts doubly when you're Buffalo. I think Pettine would make a good Head Coach though. It wouldn't be a bad hiring by the Browns IMO. He's very detail oriented, flexible in his systems, players love and respect him and work hard for him, etc. He actually got Dareus and Mario to put a lot more consistent effort in which was a small miracle in and of itself.

see, i don;t think someone in his potions sees it as "i could cash in for a few million and perhaps ruin my coaching future, but be paid"

if he goes there and fails he could never get the shot again. The money matters, but he probably believes at some point he'll be a good head coach for a long time, and get more money. Going to the Browns and failing miserably could hurt his long term career prospects
All true stuff. Two sides to this coin for sure. I was just pointing out one of the sides. I believe I saw somewhere weeks ago his goal was to be in the 2015 HC market. That puts this on more of a fast course than saying hey someday I'll make a good HC.

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to be pretty P.O.'d if Buffalo ends up losing Pettine to Cleveland. He's a very good coach. It would doubly suck just because it's hard to build something when you have coaching churn and lose good coordinators. It's one thing if you're a winning organization like Denver, N.E., etc. It hurts doubly when you're Buffalo. I think Pettine would make a good Head Coach though. It wouldn't be a bad hiring by the Browns IMO. He's very detail oriented, flexible in his systems, players love and respect him and work hard for him, etc. He actually got Dareus and Mario to put a lot more consistent effort in which was a small miracle in and of itself.
I am intruged by Pettine. I really am. I think he will be a solid NFL head coach.

Gase looked weak. Reports are he lacks personality. I honestly did not want him as a head coach and I think we may not have really wanted him either but just wanted to pick his brain about his offense.

The name David Shula comes to mind. Shula was a hot commodity a few years ago and got cute and removed his name from head coaching intereviews.

Are people really crying over Adam Gase? Honestly?

IMO Haslam has quickly become the worst owner in the league.

ETA - it's close with Snyder, who is still probably the worst in the league, but Haslam is the biggest problem with this team right now.

I guess I don't understand how this is so embarrassing? They asked to interview him, he said not until after the playoffs, and now he says no thanks. Ok. It's not like they have been sitting around doing nothing for 3 weeks saying 'We can't wait to interview Gase. He is definitely our guy!!' They have interviewed several others, and look like they are setting up second interviews with Quinn and Pettine, who by all accounts would both be good hires.

If they draft the right QB (and/or Hoyer comes back strong), that will go a long way toward making whomever they decide on look like a great hire.

Is there any chance Josh Gordon is going to want to stay in this mess?

Can see his agent now on the horn around the league... Guaranteed a team is willing to dish a 1st rounder (and prob more) after what he did this season. Without a doubt.
We'll there has to be some doubt in regards to a one year suspension hanging over his head and the fact that he hasn't even made it through one offseason without partaking in banned drugs.

Small consolation, but other teams and fans have their trials. Since the end of the season, if you go in the WAS or MIA threads, similar sentiments are expressed that they are the biggest laughing stock. If it takes a little longer, it will be worth it if that leads to finding the right HC. CLE has a core of talent that could the foundation for a good team... Pro Bowl LT, WR, CB (SS T.J. Ward an alternate), the cap room to be a player in free agency, two first round picks, a chance to land a QB. PIT and BAL coming off a down season within the division. If CLE is the factory of sadness, STL was the factory of horror when they went 15-65 (.1875) in a five year period prior to Fisher's arrival. I was just reading that in the Millen era, they were about 31-81 (.277) in seven seasons, the third worst stretch in league history (and STL far worse "winning" percentage in the shorter half decade span).

* When was the last time CLE had a good QB, and the last time they went to the playoffs (was it when Schottenheimer was the HC, in the dog pound days)?

Not a Browns fan, but am a Gordon owner, so watching all of this closely. This is pretty much the worst front office-ing that I have seen as a 38 year-old football fan.

Embarrassing? I'd say so. Like getting turned down for the prom over and over after ditching your own date 'cause you thought the head cheerleader wanted to go with you. Then she and everyone else you ask tells you they'd rather stay home and do their hair.

B-Deep said:
Bobcat10 said:
see, i don;t think someone in his potions sees it as "i could cash in for a few million and perhaps ruin my coaching future, but be paid"if he goes there and fails he could never get the shot again. The money matters, but he probably believes at some point he'll be a good head coach for a long time, and get more money. Going to the Browns and failing miserably could hurt his long term career prospects
What? Do you follow the NFL? At worst, someone else pays him to be their OC. Which is the same job he has now. So he has nothing to lose except other, speculative opportunities next year.

Bob Magaw said:
Small consolation, but other teams and fans have their trials. Since the end of the season, if you go in the WAS or MIA threads, similar sentiments are expressed that they are the biggest laughing stock. If it takes a little longer, it will be worth it if that leads to finding the right HC. CLE has a core of talent that could the foundation for a good team... Pro Bowl LT, WR, CB (SS T.J. Ward an alternate), the cap room to be a player in free agency, two first round picks, a chance to land a QB. PIT and BAL coming off a down season within the division. If CLE is the factory of sadness, STL was the factory of horror when they went 15-65 (.1875) in a five year period prior to Fisher's arrival. I was just reading that in the Millen era, they were about 31-81 (.277) in seven seasons, the third worst stretch in league history (and STL far worse "winning" percentage in the shorter half decade span).

* When was the last time CLE had a good QB, and the last time they went to the playoffs (was it when Schottenheimer was the HC, in the dog pound days)?
Butch Davis era 2002 was the last time the Browns were in the playoffs.

Kelly Holcomb was the QB and they had PIT beat in their play off game until a WR dropped a 3rd down pass right on his hands wide open in the 4th quarter.

What? Do you follow the NFL? At worst, someone else pays him to be their OC. Which is the same job he has now. So he has nothing to lose except other, speculative opportunities next year.
Adam Gase won't interview for a job he wouldn't get? Big story? Really? :coffee:

Gase may never be an NFL head coach.

No team interviewed him and only one team wanted to interview him. Even if the Browns had interveiwed Gase their in guarantee that they would have hired him.

Pettine gets his second interview tonight.

This is the guy I hope the Browns wind up hiring.

Adam Schefter ‏ @ AdamSchefter 15m

Browns second meeting with Bills DC Mike Pettine is scheduled for this evening.

Ian Rapoport ‏ @ RapSheet 3m

The # Browns are talking to # Bills DC Mike Pettine tonight. They plan on talking to Dan Quinn in NY/NJ. Can’t be later than a week before SB

======

Add Josh Gordon owners have nothing to fear from a coaching change. Gordon had his breakout season with three different starting quarterbacks, Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer, and Jason Cambell. The Browns will likely get a young QB whose long-term ability would trump all-three combined and even his rookie season has a shot to match the 'talent-level' of what those three produced last year.

Forgot this tweet:

Tim Graham‏@ByTimGraham4h

Gotten tweets fr followers wondering if Pettine going thru Browns process as practice rep. Sources close to Pettine tell me wants job badly

Captain Quinoa said:
I guess I don't understand how this is so embarrassing? They asked to interview him, he said not until after the playoffs, and now he says no thanks. Ok. It's not like they have been sitting around doing nothing for 3 weeks saying 'We can't wait to interview Gase. He is definitely our guy!!' They have interviewed several others, and look like they are setting up second interviews with Quinn and Pettine, who by all accounts would both be good hires.

If they draft the right QB (and/or Hoyer comes back strong), that will go a long way toward making whomever they decide on look like a great hire.
Coaches are usually shoving others out of the way if they get an opportunity to coach a team in the NFL. Despite having a talented team with loads of cap space and the most picks in the upcoming draft, including #'s 4, 26, and 36, potential candidates are running away saying no thanks.

Logically, this should sell itself. It's not because we're a joke.

Last year the Browns conducted a coaching search that wasn't as thorough as this one and they learned a lot of things from the candidates.

They found out what sort of offenses and defenses where the toughest to match-up against and found out that offensive coaches had their most difficulty going up agaainst 3-4 fire-zone blitz type of defenses so when they were seeking a DC they wanted a 3-4 fire-zone attack guy. Ray Horton looked the part and spoke the part but on the field the defensive collapses played the largest role in the 7 game losing streak to snuff out last season.

Mike Pettine is a guy who interests me. He doesn't run a 3-4 fire-zone, he runs a modified version of the old Chicago Bears Buddy Ryan 46 Defense which is even a more aggressive attack-style defense than the fire-zone.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/01/21/mike-pettine-standing-taller-browns-messy-coaching-search/

Pettine has gained coaching-philosophy points because he runs a version of the Ryan 46 defense, which continues to gain popularity around the NFL. He learned the defense working closely with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan.

The Bills' defense was rejuvenated under Pettine. The Bills sent four defensive players to the Pro Bowl, and he helped salvage pass-rusher Jerry Hughes and safety Aaron Williams.

The Bills ranked 23rd in yards allowed, but that was an accomplishment, considering where they were a year earlier. The Bills finished second in sacks and second in interceptions.

=====

Add interesting tidbit to file away for draft day.

If you looked at the four finalists in this year's playoffs, three of the four head coaches were former defensive coordinators. Also if you noticed, none of the teams used a first round pick to get their quarterback.

- Peyton Mannning > free agent

- Colin Kaepernic > 2nd round draft pick

- Russel Wilson > 3rd round draft pick

- Tom Brady > 6th round draft pick

Not a Browns fan, but am a Gordon owner, so watching all of this closely. This is pretty much the worst front office-ing that I have seen as a 38 year-old football fan.

Embarrassing? I'd say so. Like getting turned down for the prom over and over after ditching your own date 'cause you thought the head cheerleader wanted to go with you. Then she and everyone else you ask tells you they'd rather stay home and do their hair.
You should probably focus more on how many bong hits Gordon took with Bess this season. I find it hard to believe the Browns future offensive coordinator will not focus on getting Gordon the ball through the air, unless he just wants to work for a year.

Users who are viewing this thread