What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

BTW Amnesiac, do you like any of the QBs in the top three prospects. Enough to take at 1.4, or possibly trade up? I've seen some Browns fans advocate waiting to a later round, possibly roll with Hoyer. It just seems like we have read this novel before (everybody dies in the end). Not sure if the QBs have the right stuff (I like the top three, not sure about Carr), but as we have seen through this exercise, sometimes a half decade can go by where either... A) CLE doesn't have a high first, B) bad QB class or C) both. So 2014 could be a kind of convergence where the opportunity, inclination, pick and prospect all come together, FINALLY.
All of the above, sorta. Like I've been advocating around here...draft 2 QBs this year within the first 4 rounds. I don't want to act like a scout (at this point) and say who where...but QB at 1.4 and in the 3rd or 4th makes alot of sense to me right now. Keep Hoyer and get rid of the garbage.

I think they need to decide IF one (or more) of this years quarterbacks is "franchise", then go get him. Whether it's trading up, trading back, or staying put, get the one you want at any cost. Yes, any cost. Heck, the guy they could want may be there at pick 4, 10, or even 26. Don't 'settle' for one. Get the one you want guys.
That is the key, if their is even a QB in this class who is thought to be a legitimate franchise QB.

Bridgewater's frame is slight.

Johnny Football is small and his frame is not impressive and even if the reports are that he can 'make all of the throws' I am skeptical of his arm strength not to mention lots of other questions about him.

Every report says Blake Bortles long-ball accuracy is suspect.

Carr doesn't seem like he'll be taken high in the first round and might even slip to the second.

Check out the tweets today from Houston beat writer John McClain.

He says its early and questions ranknig QB at this point in time.

He said RG III was not ranked as high until he went through the interview proccess at the Combine.

-----------------------------------------------------

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL2h

It's interesting how many think they have the QBs already ranked when there's so much more to go in the scouting process.

----------------------------------------------------

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL2 hrs

I remember few thinking RG3 would be a high No. 1 pick until he blew away everyone with a magnificent pro day and his stock soared.

---------------------------------------------------

Film is out there so what they did in college and film study won't change and the measureables will be confirmed at the Combine. The only thing that could change is if someone aces the interview proccess ALA RG III or if they do not perform well in the interview proccess one of those guys could slide ALA Geno Smith. Honestly we just do not know at this time but we know that none of these guys is seen as a can't-miss prospect like Luck or is viewed as an RG III.

Right now none of them are overly impressive so I don't think anyone will move-up for a QB. The only shot of that is if one of them pulls off an RG III type of Pro Day and wows everyone in which case Houston will take em with the first pick and won't trade.

Good post Bob.

It depends on where the Browns rank the top 3.

I think Manziel is a high risk high reward choice.

I wouldn't trade up to take a high risk high reward pick.

If they want him and he is there at 4, ok I don't have a problem with them going there.

I'd rather have Bridgewater, maybe his ceiling isn't as high as Manziel's but I like him better from a safer pick perspective and his apparently ready to go now status.

He could possibly go this year as the starter.

Would I trade up for him?

I really don't want to, he isn't Luck.

I'd settle for Bortles too.

For all of them to be gone all the picks above the Browns would have to be QB's.

The only way that happens is if someone trades up above them since I think there is no chance the Rams take a QB.

Whoever is taken if the Browns are determined to take a QB with their 1st pick, needs to have the Offense built up more around them.

Resign Mack.

Get a starting RT and move Schwartz inside to Guard and draft more Guard help in later rounds, unless they can get a good one in FA.

Get a RB and get a good number 2 WR, this draft is loaded with good WR's it seems.

If I was the GM and all 3 of those QB's went 1-2-3 I would take Watkins at 4.

The prospect of Gordon, Watkins, and Cameron lining up on Offense should terrify any teams DC, especially if the Browns also get a good RB in round 2 or 3.

I would take a QB in round 2 or 3 in this scenario.

Garoppolo would be my choice.

Carr dispite his Senior Bowl showing scares me with his performance when pressured.

Of the top 4 I think he has the highest bust potential.

Thanks, Raiderfan...

You make good points. Since you mentioned SD, they also drafted Brees between Leaf and Rivers (which you no doubt know, but maybe left out as he wasn't a first rounder, let alone high one - though he turned out pretty good, if not for SD).

The only caveat I would add, is not to reach for a position, and get a QB just to get a QB, with Ponder being the currently in vogue posterization example. Weedon might have been an example. So while I might sound contradictory advocating prioritizing QB than being critical of Weedon (never made sense for a rebuilding team, he was going to be approaching his mid-30s by his second contract?), I wasn't referring to ANY QB.

Be that as it may, after looking closer, ONE high pick in a decade and a half (not counting Quinn and Weedon) may not have been sufficient. They seemed to have been in the top 10 enough times, even if some years didn't have good QB classes (Geno Smith would have been a reach in the top 10 instead of Sheldon Richardson for the Jets), seemingly SOME of those years, they could have cashed in a high chip.

Is 2014 a good year for the QB class? Clearly it seems better than 2013. CLE has reportedly been scouring the class. We don't know if the Richardson trade was made with a specific position in mind. But it was done during the college season, when it would have been hard to not be aware of Bridgewater and Manziel (not sure if Bortles was still under the radar?). It is convenient they ended up at 1.4, wouldn't need to move up far if they want to, and have that handy extra Colts first poker chip as ammo to do so.

Maybe they don't make a move. Maybe they don't love the QBs, and wouldn't even take one at 1.4? But if the scouts give the thumbs up to one or more of the top three and the front office green lights it (not sure how much personnel clout new HC Pettine has?), than it could get interesting. HOU beat writer McLain is convinced they take a QB... let's say Bridgewater. What if Spielman makes an offer STL can't refuse (not sure they want to drop to 1.8?) to bring Johnny "Fran Tarkenton 2.0" Manziel to MIN? Now it could be nervous time, because while Clowney would still be on the board, few teams need a QB as much as JAX, and they could tap in-state, local product Bortles. Which could leave CLE (earlier thinking they might have their pick of as many as two of these names) shut out. This could recommend a move up. ALSO, if they have a preference for Manziel or Bortles (again, let's say HOU takes Bridgewater), and don't want to settle for QB helper leftovers, that could recommend giving Les Snead a ring. The advantage to STL, is they would only have to drop to 1.4 instead of 1.6 or 1.8. That could be very attractive, if they have their eye on a top five graded player like Watkins, Robinson or Matthews.
Bob,

Of course I forget to mention Brees SD days. But looking back, he was injured goods when he hurt his shoulder in 2005. And his pedigree as a 2nd round draft pick does not fit the mold of a franchise QB. We all know he later became one, but there was some cause for doubt once a Phillip Rivers type with a cannon arm, and ideal body frame came along. Brees could have been a middling journeyman QB after coming back from the injury and no one would have flinched. New Orleans took a big gamble and won.

Of course, the draft is always going to be littered with early to mid first round busts at the QB position. The Ponders, Lockers, Gabberts, etc of the world. But a decade and half of non premium QB draft picks on the position after busting out on Couch was overreaction by the Browns. Not that they didn't have some good picks along the way in weak QB drafts. But there were also opportunities to go out and get a Jay Cutler, a Ben Roethelisberger, even a Tannehill. You don't stop keep trying to hit on a QB because it's the most important thing. Really the only thing that matters.

In this day and age of owner friendly rookie contracts with contract options for 5th year, the age of the #1 overall busted draft pick does not have the same shock waves throughout a franchise. There is a lot more room for error. One bad #1 pick used to set back a team 4 or 5 years. Now it's probably more like a 2 year setback these days if that.

Really, it's critical for the Browns coaches to identify the type of offense they want to build around and based on that build it around who they most want to target in the draft. Brian Hoyer is a nice QB, but really is good depth. You have the opportunity to draft a franchise changer at the #4 slot. You can't be shy about taking a shot. If it's Manziel, who I personally like for Cleveland, build around his skill set and get the coaches buy in now. Don't be afraid if you choose the wrong guy. The draft process is so much more forgiving these days.

It's between Mathews and Watkins. bookmark this.

If Clowney somehow falls, it's him (their full expectation is he will be gone).

How many bookmarks are you going to make me create?!?! ;)

I think this would be fine with the masses. If they don't feel a QB is worth our top pick, let alone trading UP for one which I think is a longshot, then for goodness sake don't take one. It will sting if one has success early on though. Still think we need to keep an eye on Mettenberger (and how far he is going to fall because of the injury) and McCarron. They would be ideal 3rd/4th rd QBs that I'm preaching about. See what Hoyer has in 2014. If he proves to be more of QB2, get QB1 in 2015 (for a nice trio of QBs) due to deeper class and/or use picks to move up. Don't move up this year.

Bob, obviously the picks sucked. but they did make them. so three first round QBs and off te top of my head at least two high second round picks. my point is that they absolutely have invested draft picks at the position, they've just drafted the wrong QBs.

i suppose one could make the argument that they should draft a QB every year in the first round til they get it right, but they wouldn't have much of a team around their QB at that point.
I appreciate the regional input, amnesiac.I think where we are misconnecting, is I seem to define high first round pick differently, and don't put the two 1.22 picks in that category, and you do. Put it it this way, maybe in a different year, a higher pick (I mean, higher than 1.22) would have solved the problem for a decade, than CLE wouldn't have needed to spend multiple 1.22 picks years later for a problem that would have already been solved?

So while the high pick on a QB every year was amusing, it wouldn't be necessary. Again, we are defining HIGH pick differently. From my perspective, Couch was the only high first round pick on a QB in a decade and a half. You are going from that extreme, to the opposite end of the spectrum, and 15 in 15 years. Maybe there is some latitude in there between the diametrically opposed possibilities? :) Like two high picks, or three in a decade and a half? It is true that under the old salary cap, busting on Couch set the franchise back a while. There were dire salary cap repercussions to a high bust (and they had a few). But after a buffer or interval, I looked at other drafts where the Browns had a high, top 10 pick.

Not to cherry pick, but here are some that fit the criteria.

2004 - KW2 at 1.6, division nemesis PIT took Roethlisberger at 1.11. This really hurt, because it is a double whammy. CLE doesn't get him, and PIT does. But he was a MAC guy, maybe not a household name at the time, that was just one example. I'm not doing anything crazy from the psychic school of scouting like, you could have gotten Brady in the sixth! Just looking for QBs in the vicinity of where CLE made a non-QB pick in a given year.

2005 - Braylon "Brick Hands" Edwards at 1.3, after Alex Smith at 1.1, the next QB wasn't taken until green room loser but NFL hero Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers at the time, was a wild card, with some thinking he could go near the top of the draft, but once he got past the teams that might have had a QB need, he went into full blown free fall mode. I don't think it would have been called a heinous reach if CLE had taken him. Ironically, GB of all teams took him when they had Favre, who would play for like three more years (and it could have been more). Obviously they were looking ahead, and their foresight and patience paid huge dividends down the road. Not picking on CLE, drafted that low (lower than Quinn and Weedon), MANY teams were, and still are, kicking themselves.

2006 - Didn't have a top 10 pick, took Kamerion Wembley at 1.13. Speaking of being proactive, DEN did move from 1.15 to 1.11 to draft Cutler. Could CLE have made such a move?

2007 - Serial Pro Bowler Joe Thomas at 1.3 and Quinn (we know where he went by now). Terrible year for QBs. Bad intersection of a high pick (1.3) with brutal class.

2008 - No pick (traded 1.22 to DAL to draft Felix Jones?)

2009 - Alex Mack 1.21, not a high pick, and no obvious QBs in striking range of here, just for the record.

2010 - Joe Haden 1.7, another bad QB class.

2011 - Phil Taylor 1.21, I have focused on first round, but after a few potential candidates in the first two years looked at above, but not a lot of obvious viable options since 2005 (not counting a speculative trade up for Cutler in 2006), with year after year of a high pick but poor QB class or good QB option/s high but a mismatched low pick, maybe my method is too constrained and limited. If we expand to the second round, Dalton and Kaepernick were avail with the 2.3 and 2.4.

2012 - Trent Richardson 1.3 (after trade up from 1.4 - OOF!) and Weedon (we know that slot, too - pop quiz later). The only observation, and you guys must know the details better than me, but maybe Tannehill could have been a possibility, not sure if a trade down was an option. Maybe he could have done better in CLE than MIA with a superior OL, and throwing to Gordon and Cameron?

2013 - Barkevius Mingo 1.6, not a great QB class, had just got Weedon the year before, they may have been thinking about Bridgewater and Manziel already?

BTW Amnesiac, do you like any of the QBs in the top three prospects. Enough to take at 1.4, or possibly trade up? I've seen some Browns fans advocate waiting to a later round, possibly roll with Hoyer. It just seems like we have read this novel before (everybody dies in the end). Not sure if the QBs have the right stuff (I like the top three, not sure about Carr), but as we have seen through this exercise, sometimes a half decade can go by where either... A) CLE doesn't have a high first, B) bad QB class or C) both. So 2014 could be a kind of convergence where the opportunity, inclination, pick and prospect all come together, FINALLY.
Bob, i'm certainly not defending any of their picks, but i'm not really seeing any obvious opportunities that they passed up.

in retrospect, sure, Rodgers or Roethlisberger would've been great, maybe even Tannehill. but i don't think any of those picks would've been obvious at the time.

i philosophically beleive in always taking BPA unless there are two players that are ranked very similarly, in which case positional importance does come into play.

i have not scouted this class very closely yet, but at first blush, i'm not seeing a franchise type guy in the group.

How many bookmarks are you going to make me create?!?! ;) I think this would be fine with the masses. If they don't feel a QB is worth our top pick, let alone trading UP for one which I think is a longshot, then for goodness sake don't take one. It will sting if one has success early on though. Still think we need to keep an eye on Mettenberger (and how far he is going to fall because of the injury) and McCarron. They would be ideal 3rd/4th rd QBs that I'm preaching about. See what Hoyer has in 2014. If he proves to be more of QB2, get QB1 in 2015 (for a nice trio of QBs) due to deeper class and/or use picks to move up. Don't move up this year.
Definitely not advocating a positional reach. But what if a case is more ambiguous, where they are pretty sure that one is franchise caliber, but there is some doubt (a little, not a lot). Maybe they pass, and McCarron is drafted in day three? CLE than decides to defer to 2015 on a first QB, but finishes 8-8 in 2014, and assuming they don't have two first round picks next year, lacks the ammo to move up and misses out AGAIN. Meanwhile, Hoyer and McCarron prove to be backup-types and not starter material. Oops! Now it is wait until 2016. But maybe that isn't such a great class, and you finish 8-8 again, so it wouldn't really make a difference anyways if there are 1-2 top prospects, as they don't have an extra first to move up than either. There is always 2017 or 2018?

Having an extra 1st is not a requirement to move up in the 1st. Depends where you're at, where you need to move, and if the partner will accept future year picks. I know you know that, I'm just sayin..

Having an extra 1st is not a requirement to move up in the 1st. Depends where you're at, where you need to move, and if the partner will accept future year picks. I know you know that, I'm just sayin..
I know you know I know that. :)

The thought did cross my mind, but how what I said could relate to that thought (don't need an extra first to move up...) may not be obvious, so I could have made it explicit, and while doing that, expand on it a little, thanks for the prompting. To the extent CLE has a team not as bad in 2014 as their record was in 2013, but not good enough to make the playoffs (probably a realistic aspiration initially), and perhaps in some 8-8 kind of limbo, that would put the team further away from the top than the 2014 1.4, of course. Coupled with the lack of the extra first ammo (albeit a relatively low one), could be more likely to blow up a larger chunk of a future draft with the necessity to package multiple lower picks, like seconds and thirds, etc. Including just one extra pick (albeit a first) NOW would be less disruptive to the future by being both a cheaper move and one which maximally retains future picks. This is all assuming there was a QB worth such a move, if not, obviously that renders this moot, and recommends waiting or finding some other means (low pick, free agency, trade?).

None of these QBs are top5 pick worthy.

Ill stand by that to the end
You could be right. I think you are talking deserved value, not whether they are artificially pushed up due to demand exceeding supply.

Do you think top 6? top 7? how would you order and value them if you were GM?

I think likely 2-3 QBs are drafted by OAKs 1.5 pick, and if STL trades out of the 1.2 for a team looking for a QB (better percentage play than Clowney), they could all be gone before that.

In the brief time Hoyer played, how likely did you sense he could be the long term answer, and it is different this time, or is he more likely a replacement level starter/backup-type, not too different from the last 10-15 in the past 10-15 years? I agree if they didn't get a QB, getting Watkins to go with Gordon and Cameron would be a scary trio. I hope STL takes him with a trade down of a few picks. :)

Bob, obviously the picks sucked. but they did make them. so three first round QBs and off te top of my head at least two high second round picks. my point is that they absolutely have invested draft picks at the position, they've just drafted the wrong QBs.

i suppose one could make the argument that they should draft a QB every year in the first round til they get it right, but they wouldn't have much of a team around their QB at that point.
I appreciate the regional input, amnesiac.I think where we are misconnecting, is I seem to define high first round pick differently, and don't put the two 1.22 picks in that category, and you do. Put it it this way, maybe in a different year, a higher pick (I mean, higher than 1.22) would have solved the problem for a decade, than CLE wouldn't have needed to spend multiple 1.22 picks years later for a problem that would have already been solved?

So while the high pick on a QB every year was amusing, it wouldn't be necessary. Again, we are defining HIGH pick differently. From my perspective, Couch was the only high first round pick on a QB in a decade and a half. You are going from that extreme, to the opposite end of the spectrum, and 15 in 15 years. Maybe there is some latitude in there between the diametrically opposed possibilities? :) Like two high picks, or three in a decade and a half? It is true that under the old salary cap, busting on Couch set the franchise back a while. There were dire salary cap repercussions to a high bust (and they had a few). But after a buffer or interval, I looked at other drafts where the Browns had a high, top 10 pick.

Not to cherry pick, but here are some that fit the criteria.

2004 - KW2 at 1.6, division nemesis PIT took Roethlisberger at 1.11. This really hurt, because it is a double whammy. CLE doesn't get him, and PIT does. But he was a MAC guy, maybe not a household name at the time, that was just one example. I'm not doing anything crazy from the psychic school of scouting like, you could have gotten Brady in the sixth! Just looking for QBs in the vicinity of where CLE made a non-QB pick in a given year.

2005 - Braylon "Brick Hands" Edwards at 1.3, after Alex Smith at 1.1, the next QB wasn't taken until green room loser but NFL hero Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers at the time, was a wild card, with some thinking he could go near the top of the draft, but once he got past the teams that might have had a QB need, he went into full blown free fall mode. I don't think it would have been called a heinous reach if CLE had taken him. Ironically, GB of all teams took him when they had Favre, who would play for like three more years (and it could have been more). Obviously they were looking ahead, and their foresight and patience paid huge dividends down the road. Not picking on CLE, drafted that low (lower than Quinn and Weedon), MANY teams were, and still are, kicking themselves.

2006 - Didn't have a top 10 pick, took Kamerion Wembley at 1.13. Speaking of being proactive, DEN did move from 1.15 to 1.11 to draft Cutler. Could CLE have made such a move?

2007 - Serial Pro Bowler Joe Thomas at 1.3 and Quinn (we know where he went by now). Terrible year for QBs. Bad intersection of a high pick (1.3) with brutal class.

2008 - No pick (traded 1.22 to DAL to draft Felix Jones?)

2009 - Alex Mack 1.21, not a high pick, and no obvious QBs in striking range of here, just for the record.

2010 - Joe Haden 1.7, another bad QB class.

2011 - Phil Taylor 1.21, I have focused on first round, but after a few potential candidates in the first two years looked at above, but not a lot of obvious viable options since 2005 (not counting a speculative trade up for Cutler in 2006), with year after year of a high pick but poor QB class or good QB option/s high but a mismatched low pick, maybe my method is too constrained and limited. If we expand to the second round, Dalton and Kaepernick were avail with the 2.3 and 2.4.

2012 - Trent Richardson 1.3 (after trade up from 1.4 - OOF!) and Weedon (we know that slot, too - pop quiz later). The only observation, and you guys must know the details better than me, but maybe Tannehill could have been a possibility, not sure if a trade down was an option. Maybe he could have done better in CLE than MIA with a superior OL, and throwing to Gordon and Cameron?

2013 - Barkevius Mingo 1.6, not a great QB class, had just got Weedon the year before, they may have been thinking about Bridgewater and Manziel already?

Bob, i'm certainly not defending any of their picks, but i'm not really seeing any obvious opportunities that they passed up.

in retrospect, sure, Rodgers or Roethlisberger would've been great, maybe even Tannehill. but i don't think any of those picks would've been obvious at the time.

i philosophically beleive in always taking BPA unless there are two players that are ranked very similarly, in which case positional importance does come into play.

i have not scouted this class very closely yet, but at first blush, i'm not seeing a franchise type guy in the group.
amnesiac,

I appreciate and understand BPA, but I do think at times team/positional need can be factored into the decision. I do detect a fundamental difference in philosophy, I think. Some positions are more important than others. QB is kind of like that eye in the triangle at the apex of the pyramid that is a Masonic symbol on the back of dollar bills. It's been 15 years. What if, from this point, going forward, year after year after year it just happens through some fluke there is always an "elite" RB like Trent Richardson, or WR like Braylon Edwards or TE like KW2, etc., etc., etc., that trumps QB on a BPA basis. So another 5-10 years go by. Now it is 20-25 years, a quarter century. Fans who started this process at the inception in their 50s or 60s could be passing away without seeing a competent QB. This may sound absurd, but what could one puny human brain think of that hasn't manifested already a thousand-fold worse from the remorseless mechanism of the dream crushing factory of sadness?

Seriously, it is has been 15 years. Why couldn't it be another 5-10 years? If QB isn't prioritized, and BPA doesn't line up for half decade intervals, answers the earlier question, why couldn't it happen? This is not directed at you, but the persistent, recurring organizational failures. A cliched definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect a different result? Just as seen above in the draft history, more than few season voids can go by in between rare windows of opportunity. If they are missed, that can spell multiple stretches of several year opportunity droughts.

What do you do if there is always some other compelling BPA at another position year after year after year? With that kind of guiding principle, if inflexible, that seems like it could lead to more lost years killing time at the position.

A quick word about definitions. Sometimes it might be possible to talk about lots of stuff, but talk around the main subject without exploring a central, essential point. How would you define the kind of QB that would be "worth" the 1.4. Operationally and specifically, how would you describe such a QB in terms of league rank? Top 12-10-8-6? With a conventionally understood definition or sets of definitions, it is easier to understand what we are talking about, and make the conversation more lucid and intelligible. You can't aim or course correct without a target, so that could provide a benefit on that level

With common working definitions of what rank QB equates to top 5, top 10 pick, it would than be a short distance to having a discussion about at what point is an organization exercising good, sound judgment in not over drafting a second round pick near top 10 like with Ponder, and at what point could an inflexible value decision to not take Tannehill at 1.4 if he is only worth a 1.8 (not saying it happened, but if it did) represent an example of being "picky" or TOO selective. Substitute other examples. What if this year, the front office thinks all the QBs are worth about 8-10, all three are there at 1.4, and they can't trade down. Is the smart play to get Watkins or Robinson or Mack, since Bridgewater or Manziel may grade lower by a few picks and aren't BPA strictly speaking, or bend the rule a little to potentially solve a 15 year old problem. Clearly the pickier a team is, if in their factory of sadness infernal calculus a QB "must" be a future top 6 QB to justify a top four pick, and that QB is estimated at having "only" top 10 upside, this could lead to a state of affairs where more and more years go by without filling the positional hole (sort of like what has happened), and the QB-less shadow that has darkened the past, is lengthened and extended into the future.

personally i would define a top five pick as a guy that plays 10 years for your team, misses very few games, and goes to a few pro bowls. regardless of position.

so conceivably, that could be a top 10ish type guy.

i just hate the idea of reaching for a certain position, and ending up with a bust at say QB when we could've added another pro bowl player to the team at a different position.

regardless, it's a moot point, because i believe the current brain trust does put a huge emphasis on finding a QB, and that they will likely draft one with their top pick or trade up to draft the guy they want.

I definitely agree that we havent had much of a chance to land a stud QB in the draft due too a bit of bad luck. This is why each and every year that we don't have that opportunity I want us to do what we can and trade down and pick up an extra future 1st, increasing our chances of being able to land a stud QB when one presents itself.

I would absolutely go crazy and do a dance of joy if we were able to trade down from 4 to get a mid 1st and a 2015 1st, and then trade down from the Colts pick to get a 2nd and a 2015 1st.

A mid 1st is still likely a very good player, and a 2nd has a nice chance to be a good player..................and then go into 2015 with THREE 1sts?

Unless they really feel one of these current rookie QBs is a stud (which I do not), I think that is the best course of action.

If they decide to keep pick 4 and use it on a non QB I cant complain, but if they do this at the very least they need to trade down with that second first rounder to get a 2nd and a 2015 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a solid DEF. We just hired a coach with a brilliant defensive mind. Minor adjustments only in the draft needed.

Focus on offense for the most part.

If we pull for Watkins at 4, and an o-lineman with our next pick, I think that is our absolute best shot at being a solid team next season.

Hoyer comes in, fronted by a solid line, that gives him an extra second or two, has an elite weapon cache in gordon, watkins, cameron... we finally start to put up points.

I really feel like .500 is our floor next season if we made these moves. I know that sounds like VERY wishful thinking. and maybe it is. but a calm and poised QB with weaponary, and an elite DEF (which I believe we do)... things could really make a turnaround

... I would absolutely go crazy and do a dance of joy if we were able to trade down from 4 to get a mid 1st and a 2015 1st, and then trade down from the Colts pick to get a 2nd and a 2015 1st.

A mid 1st is still likely a very good player, and a 2nd has a nice chance to be a good player..................and then go into 2015 with THREE 1sts?

Unless they really feel one of these current rookie QBs is a stud (which I do not), I think that is the best course of action.

If they decide to keep pick 4 and use it on a non QB I cant complain, but if they do this at the very least they need to trade down with that second first rounder to get a 2nd and a 2015 1st.
Its early but from what we've heard we know the following:

1. Houston will very-likely take a QB with the top pick either Bridgewater or Manziel and likely Bridgewater.

2. St. Louis wants to trade and would be sitting on Jadeveon Clowney and Atlanta has stated they are open to trading-up and they have needs for a pass rusher and Clowney is the best to come out in sometime. Makes sense for Atlanta to trade-up and get their pass rusher in Clowney and for St. Louis to move-down and pick up an extra 2nd this year and a 2015 1st round pick where they would have the 6th pick and would have a shot at either of the top-two OTs or WR Watkins.

3. Jacksonville has stated they ARE going to take a QB. Their coaching staff woked with QB Dereck Carr at the Senior Bowl for a week and reports are they love him. I think they actually will wind up taking Dereck Carr here.

==============

That would leave us at 4 if we truly want Manziel but even before bringing up the Combine and the inerview proccess their is another issue, our free agents, specifically Pro Bowl OC Alex Mack.

It seems our front office looks at POSITIONAL DOLLAR VALUE when divinng-up cap space. We signed OT Joe Thomas to a big long-term contract so he takes up a large amount of cap space. Mack is looking to make a big pay-day and he will get offers that will make him the highest paid center in the league. Thomas is already the highest paid left tackle in the league. Even though we have the cap space to easily re-sign Mack the problem is he'd want a long-term contract at the highest price for an NFL center. That would not be good long-term for the team.

OK, why not just franchise him? Big problem with that idea. It seems the NFL does not discriminate between positions on the O-line with the franchise tag so if we tagged Mack he'd get the average of the top 5 linemen at ALL positions so that means he would get $7.2 million for ONE YEAR! No way in hell we'd give a center $7.2 million for ONE YEAR. NO CENTER makes that much and no center is even close to that amount. So our choices are to either give Mack a long-term contract making him the highest paid NFL center or franchise him and vastly overpay him for one year. Bottom line. We are probably goiing to lose Alex Mack to free agency this year.

What does that mean for our #4 pick in the 2014 NFL draft?

Means we very-possibly could be targeting the top OT in this draft. It makes sense on a number of fronts.

1. We need a RT.

Mitchell Schwartz struggled last year but word came out he was nursing a foot injury that he suffered in the first game and it hampered him all of last year but he did struggle last year. Getting a blue-chip OT to plug in at RT would instantly upgrade that position.

2. If we got a blue-chip RT would could move Mitchell Schwartz inside to OG.

Schwartz is more athletic and mobile than either Grecco or Lavaua. Lavaua was the weakest link in the O-Line last year so if Mitch moved inside he'd be an upgrade and if/when we lose Mack we'd need a veteran to play inbetween a new OC and a rookie RT.

3. Our new HC Mike Pettine said he wants both lines to be tough and strong.

Our D-Line is, tough, strong, and has depth. If/when we lose Mack it will make the O-line even weaker and we know Schwartz struggled last year so getting a blue-chip OT would instantly upgrade the strength and toughness of the O-Line, something the new HC states is a priority.

4. Think long-term.

Joe Thomas is in his prime and he's the top OLT in the league and he's got a long-term contract but when that contract ends he will be older and probably overpriced. Taking a blue-chip OT today means that player only gets a rookie contract so for four years we get a bargain. In four years Thomas' contract ends. If we had a stud OT to plug into Joe's spot we'd have great leverage in any future contract negotiations.. Contracts are a big piece of the picture that people don't get. We may very-likely lose Alex Mack this year due to cap issues that many fans won't understand so I'm sure the team does look long-term with contracts so adding a blue-chip OT in this draft would set us up well down the road.

Add all of the above up and then look at the two OTs who would be available to the Browns.

Roberts and Mathews. Roberts might be the best right-now. He's bigger and stronger and tougher and he's simply better as a run blocker but Mathews might be the best long-term player.

Then look at the rest of the teams and who might want to trade-up to the #4 spot and for what player?

If we like a QB then forget about any trade-down. We just take the QB but if we are not sold on any of the QBs or if we feel one of the OTs is simply too-good then we might just take an OT at #4 but if we see an opportunity to trade-down and pick up a #2 pick this year AND still get either one of the OTs or WR Sammy Watkins or if we feel one of those QBs will fall and we can land them later or any combination of the above where we are not picky and could go in any direction AND STILL PICK UP AN EXTRA high pick then I can see a trade-down happen.

I just don't know if they really want one of those QBs or if they want one of thiose OTs or Watkins. I would not want to trade-down simply to get extra picks. No, no way. Only trade-down if they have a plan. Maybe the plan is to just get extra high picks for next year to get one of those QBs. That could be the plan. I dunno but I can see us drafting an OT with our top pick and not too many mocks have even considered that or what you suggest.

Trade down is a distinct possiblity IMHO.

We just made another crucial hire on offense.

After the OC the positional coach generally considered the most important is the O-Line coach. QB coach is much more important for teams developing a young QB and we added one yesterday. We have the TE coach and the RB coach and now the O-Line coach. Only positional coach left if WR and it seems we HAVE NOT crossed Kyle Shanahan off the list for OC so if we got Shanny as OC then that offensive coaching staff is not bad.

Go to the link for the story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/report_cleveland_browns_to_hir.html

Report: Cleveland Browns to hire Andy Moeller as their offensive line coach

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Hoyer doesn't seem fazed about not having an OC right now.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/brian_hoyer_cleveland_browns_s.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hoyer said he's not concerned about the Browns not having a coordinator yet.

"We can't do anything with those guys until April anyhow, so it's best that they take their time and figure out what's best for us,'' he said. "When they decide, that's when they decide and for me, I'll be looking forward to working with whoever it is.''

Hoyer, who's been with four teams in the past year and half, is a quick study and ready for anything.

"This will be my sixth offense in probably 18 months so I really don't care (what the new system is),'' he said. "Football's football. It's a copycat league. Everybody kind of does the same thing. At least this year, I'll be here from the beginning. I came here not until May, so whatever it is, I'll start earlier than I did last year. this is my sixth year in the league and I've learned so much about football that it doesn't really matter.''

As Ive stated before, a friend of mine from College works deep in the CLE organisation.

I talk to him when I can and get solid info, solid enough to have NAILED the last two 1st rnd picks w no wavering.

Right now, from what he's said, its 98% mathews or watkins

So much can and will happen between now and May. I doubt they have it down to 2 players right now. Those 2 will be near the top of most teams board if nothing goes wrong.

As Ive stated before, a friend of mine from College works deep in the CLE organisation.

I talk to him when I can and get solid info, solid enough to have NAILED the last two 1st rnd picks w no wavering.

Very interesting. QB on that team whether Hoyer or someone they draft would be pretty valuable w/ Gordon and Watkins.

I know you know I know that. :)

The thought did cross my mind, but how what I said could relate to that thought (don't need an extra first to move up...) may not be obvious, so I could have made it explicit, and while doing that, expand on it a little, thanks for the prompting. To the extent CLE has a team not as bad in 2014 as their record was in 2013, but not good enough to make the playoffs (probably a realistic aspiration initially), and perhaps in some 8-8 kind of limbo, that would put the team further away from the top than the 2014 1.4, of course. Coupled with the lack of the extra first ammo (albeit a relatively low one), could be more likely to blow up a larger chunk of a future draft with the necessity to package multiple lower picks, like seconds and thirds, etc. Including just one extra pick (albeit a first) NOW would be less disruptive to the future by being both a cheaper move and one which maximally retains future picks. This is all assuming there was a QB worth such a move, if not, obviously that renders this moot, and recommends waiting or finding some other means (low pick, free agency, trade?).
You simply said:

as they don't have an extra first to move up
You make alot of good points. If there is a franchise guy this year then yes it's probably best to see what it will take to acquire him for sure. I don't think the Browns are going to be doing that though this year.

Hiring these offensive assistants before hiring an OC pretty much reinforces every negative feeling I've ever had about our front office. No thought about how systems or people work together. Just randomly fill holes.

Hiring these offensive assistants before hiring an OC pretty much reinforces every negative feeling I've ever had about our front office. No thought about how systems or people work together. Just randomly fill holes.
What makes you think the front office is doing individual positional coaching hires and shoving them down Pettine's throat?

Come on dude.

Pettine basically hired the entie Bills defensive coaching staff. Do you honestly think he did not make those hires but it was the EVIL STUPID LAZY PATHETIC Mike Lombardi and the TROLL WEASLE POS Joe Banner that pushed Pettine back into a chair and maniacally laughed with blood pouring out of their mouths as they ate babies straight from the crib saying, 'You low-life human dare try to hire coaches that you want? Bwaaa haaa haaa. Let the power of the dark side tell you who to hire. Bwaaa haa haa."

Come on Plazma. Seriously. The coaching staff has Pettine written all over it and he has connections with everyone except the TE coach, I think. These are his guys and he's already interviewed two candidates and Loggains is scheduled to interview so that is three guys who have already interviewed for the job so its highly likely that one of those three guys not only gets the job but that Pettine had run each of the positional coaches by each of those three guys.

If Pettine hires someone other than the three guys, the Oakland QB coach, Shanahan, or Loggain who is already on-staff as the QB coach so obviously Pettine had interviewed him already and he is scheduled for a second interview as the OC. But if he hires someone other than those three then you can go hog wild with conspiracies. Till then their is no evidence of the front office making calls on positional coaches. That makes no sense and is not realistic.

Just reported by Mary Kay Cabot:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/kyle_shanahan_still_very_much.html

Kyle Shanahan still very much in mix to be Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator, team could name its man soon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they hire any of the three OC candidates who have already been interviewed then those candidates would have kept in touch with Pettine and would all have signed off on the positional coaching hires outside of the TE coach who was hired before any OC interviews took place. TE coach holds least sway on any offensive staff and is typically a 'starter' type of positional job on the coaching ladder.

The OC could be named soon but I don't think the Browns would want to steal any thunder from the Super Bowl.

Err if you like conspiracies then try this on for size. Go full-conspiracy and spin the OC search as a marketing gimmic to get more play for the Cleveland Browns on the highest NFL traffic event for the movie that will be released and I'm sure their will be a SB commercial for 'Draft Day' which could be the conspiracy reason why they've strung this thing along to this point because it seems like they've already had a good idea who the OC would be if they have hired positional coaches prior to naming the OC. And if they make an announcement today or tomorrow all of those media-types are in a feeding frenzy and all of those actors are on radio-row in NYC at their beck-and-call to grant them interviews.

If I were a conspiracy guy, that is where I'd place my betting chips. :cool: :club: :spade: :heart: :diamond:

You couldn't buy that sort of publicity that they could get if they timed that announcement for today or tomorrow with throngs of media soaking it up and giving a mention to the movie.

Everyone I talk to about it wants Watkins. Nobody is enthralled with Manziel.

What makes you think the front office is doing individual positional coaching hires and shoving them down Pettine's throat?
Well, I never said that.

Whether Pettine is signing off on these guys or not I consider hiring offensive assistants without your offensive coordinator having a say to be a bad plan.

Body of the tag line linked above:

NEW YORK -- The Browns are in the process hiring former Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan as their new coordinator, two sources told cleveland.com.

The contract could be signed by the early next week, but for all intents and purposes it's a done deal, a source said.

Shanahan is currently on vacation with his family and won't be able to actually sign the deal for a few days.

Cleveland.com reported Saturday morning that Shanahan was still very much in the mix and that the Browns could name him soon.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports also tweeted that Shanahan is the Browns new coordinator.

Shanahan has six years' experience as an NFL coordinator, including two with the Texans and the past four with the Redskins.

The Browns interviewed Shanahan and Raiders quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo for their coordinator vacancy this week. They also hired former Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains as their quarterbacks coach on Thursday, a source told

cleveland.com and added former Ravens offensive line coach Andy Moeller to coach their line, two sources told the Baltimore Sun.

The Browns have not yet announced the addition of Shanahan, Loggains or Moeller.

Shanahan, 34, and his father Mike, the former Redskins head coach, were fired after the Redskins tumbled to 3-13 in 2013 and after quarterback Robert Griffin III had a sub-par season.

The Redskins' disappointing year followed their 10-6 playoff campaign in 2012, when RGIII lit it up as a rookie. However, the Redskins lost 24-14 to the Seahawks in the wildcard round, and RGIII suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and other knee damage in the game.

The Shanahans were fired in large part because of their rift with RGIII, who came to mistrust them, according to the Washington Post.

But former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, a close friend of Shanahan's since they played together at Texas, told cleveland.com on Thursday that Shanahan got a bad rap in the RGIII situation and that no one complained the year before when RGIII was one of the hottest quarterbacks in the NFL.

"To me, you're talking about a guy (in RGIII) who was in the NFL for less than a year, and then we're talking about a guy (in Simms) who's been around the NFL his whole life, has had tremendous success, had top 10 offenses his last two years with the Texans and then in his last two years in Washington,'' said Simms. " So I tend to trust the guy that's been around the league and has the numbers to back it up rather than the guy that came from Baylor and was part of an offense that didn't even have a playbook and really is kind of new to the NFL world. There's a lot of illegitimate perception about Kyle because of kind of the raucous that went on down there this year.''

The 2013 season marked Shanahan's 10th in the NFL and fourth as Redskins coordinator. Shanahan helped create the "“East Coast Offense” in 2012 that led Washington to its first NFC East championship in 13 years. Incorporating the Pistol into his scheme, Shanahan's offense became the first in NFL history to pass for 3,400 yards and rush for 2,700 yards in the same season.

Despite starting rookies at quarterback and running back (Alfred Morris) for all 16 games, the Redskins won their first rushing title since 1993 and led the NFL in yards per play (6.17). RGIII also became the team’s first recipient of the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award since 1975 and set NFL rookie records for passer rating (102.4), interception percentage (1.27) and rushing yards by a rookie quarterback (815).

In Week 15 against the Browns, Shanahan coached another rookie quarterback, Kirk Cousins, to a 38-21 victory in Cleveland with a season-high 329 yards passing. Morris, a sixth-round pick, also set the Redskins’ team record with 1,613 rushing yards in 2012.

Shanahan's offenses have finished in the top 10 in four of his six years as a coordinator
The only opening left now is the WR coach I think unless we already have someone in the bag like we had with Shanahan.

Oh what a coincidence on the timing eh?

Who woulda thunk it that a big Hollywood movie that has the backdrop of the Cleveland Browns organization would have a PERFECTLY TIMED BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT the day right before the biggest news calendar day on the NFL schedule where throngs of media-types are starved for any type of real NFL news?

I wonder how much money it would have cost to buy all of those news outlets?

No other NFL news other than the Cleveland Browns making a big coaching hire on the eve of SB Sunday. Wow, what a coincidental pefectly serendipidous timing, lol.

I mean its not like they strung out that news story and had already hired nearly all of the positional coaches knowing who the OC would be to get more team pub and to obviously help out the box office for the movie 'Draft Day'?

Nahhh, just a completely random coincidence. :cool:

Shanny....

This hire smells of picking Watkins to me... Gordon, Cameron and Watkins in a Shanny offense.

ooooo lawd!!!

Possible dot connecting.

1 - Shanahan was the OC that tailored his scheme to a running QB that won ROY in 2012.

2 - Running is a big part of Manziel's skill set, Shanahan could help optimize it in an NFL context.

3 - His father worked with two of the greatest running QBs ever in Steve Young and John Elway.

* That said, I'm sure he can be scheme diverse and flexible and work with different QBs. Watkins, Matthews or Robinson would be great picks, too.

Shanny....

This hire smells of picking Watkins to me... Gordon, Cameron and Watkins in a Shanny offense.

ooooo lawd!!!
I don't think the board has been set yet but Shanahan doesn't seem a great fit for Johnny Manziel.

Some good info on Shanny's offense from a Washington beat writer who was interviewed in this podcast.

He seems to think QB Brian Hoyer is a 'great fit' for Shanahan. He thinks they will work well together.

Doesn't think a clashing personality like a Johnny Football would be a good fit for Kyle. Stated he clashed with RG III when RG III last year and with Donovan McNabb. Um if you recal last year RG III's team mates didn't help to pick him up off the turf when he got sacked. The owner seemed to publically back RG III over the Shanahan so they were ostricized by the owner who favored his star QB. We've all seen the huge ego of McNabb and it seems RG III's ego got out of control last year when the owner puffed him up but his own team mates didn't seem to inclined to help out the guy. So a guy like Johnny Football may not be the best fit.

Shanny likes to 'throw the ball' so it could mean big things for WR Josh Gordon and TE Jordan Cameron.

Kyle really wants to establish his own NFL identity and this could be thee-job for him to make a name for himself.

Good listen, check it out.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/01/30/cbs-washintons-david-elfin-says-manziel-not-good-fit-for-kyle-shanahans-style/

CBS Washinton’s David Elfin Says Manziel Not Good Fit For Kyle Shanahan’s StyleWith Baskin & Phelps - Weekdays - 10am-2pmJanuary 30, 2014 11:08 AM

wr is deep and if Mack walks as I think he will our former strong ol now looks more like a liability. If those are the options I trend more towards Jake Matthews then look for an Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews type later.

Well, I never said that.Whether Pettine is signing off on these guys or not I consider hiring offensive assistants without your offensive coordinator having a say to be a bad plan.
:goodposting:
So you think we had no clue who we would hire Shanahan before hiring positional coaches?

You think we hired positional coaches without having Shanahan's approval?

You are not a cynic Mac.

Seriously you have mental issues dude. Get help.

Well, I never said that.Whether Pettine is signing off on these guys or not I consider hiring offensive assistants without your offensive coordinator having a say to be a bad plan.
So you think we had no clue who we would hire Shanahan before hiring positional coaches?

You are not a cynic Mac.

it limits oc options if they don't like the positional coaching hires, but apparently I have mental issues so there's that too.

Just wanted to post that that tweet from McClain about RG3's pro day is bogus. completely incorrect--everybody already knew that the Redskins were making a pre-draft trade up to #2. RG3 going in the top-5 wasn't even remotely in question by the time his pro day came around. That whole day was basically a party among Redskins staff as Shanahan beamed ear to ear watching the pro day of his new toy.

You are not a cynic Mac.

So you think Shanahan was interviewing assistants before he was hired? You are kind of an out-of-your mind homer.

You are not a cynic Mac.

So you think Shanahan was interviewing assistants before he was hired? You are kind of an out-of-your mind homer.
the voice of reason is being kind.

Go ahead Mac.

Tell us your theory on positional coaches being hired before Shanahan.

First. Do you think that Pettine didn't have any idea that he was going to hire Kyle?

Yes, or no?

Second, if he had an idea that Shanahan would be his OC do you really think he would hire positional coaches behind his back and not tell him or if Kyle did not approve?

Oh and we did hire a TE coach before we conducted any interviews so obviously Kyle did not have any say of that hire.

So what is your theory?

I think it's at least possible (not saying it's likely) that nobody else wanted to come into a situation where his offensive assistants were chosen for him, so they were 'stuck' going back to Kyle, who would take just about any OC job in the NFL to avoid a demotion back to a position coaching job.

It was only a couple days ago that it was reported that Kyle's interview didn't go as planned, right?

This sometimes happens when organizations don't know what they're doing. It's how the Redskins got stuck with Zorn originally (nobody else would take the job with all the assistants already hired--though Kyle is much more qualified for a smaller job)

I think it's at least possible (not saying it's likely) that nobody else wanted to come into a situation where his offensive assistants were chosen for him, so they were 'stuck' going back to Kyle, who would take just about any OC job in the NFL to avoid a demotion back to a position coaching job.

It was only a couple days ago that it was reported that Kyle's interview didn't go as planned, right?

This sometimes happens when organizations don't know what they're doing. It's how the Redskins got stuck with Zorn originally (nobody else would take the job with all the assistants already hired--though Kyle is much more qualified for a smaller job)
I believe those Shanny bad interview rumors from earlier this week were bogus. They were definitely disputed. I don't think we should take that report as fact. Personally I think it's much more believable that Browns/Shanny agents have been negotiating for the past few days while the team kept in touch with Shanny regarding other hires.

Go ahead Mac.

Tell us your theory on positional coaches being hired before Shanahan.

First. Do you think that Pettine didn't have any idea that he was going to hire Kyle?

Yes, or no?

Second, if he had an idea that Shanahan would be his OC do you really think he would hire positional coaches behind his back and not tell him or if Kyle did not approve?

Oh and we did hire a TE coach before we conducted any interviews so obviously Kyle did not have any say of that hire.

So what is your theory?
I don't have a theory, everything about this offseason has just been... awkward. You spinning it otherwise while predictable is just an attempt to fit your positive narrative.

I believe those Shanny bad interview rumors from earlier this week were bogus. They were definitely disputed. I don't think we should take that report as fact. Personally I think it's much more believable that Browns/Shanny agents have been negotiating for the past few days while the team kept in touch with Shanny regarding other hires.
when Vic Carruci, another eternal optimist is reporting these rumors I think they carry a lot more legitimacy. Yeah, we don't know for sure, but that doesn't sit well.

Do you know why it was 'reported' that the Kule Shanahan interview did not go over well?

It had nothing to do with his coaching ability or any clashes with RG III.

The reason is becausae Kyle asked Jimmy Haslam why he fired Chud after one season and that caused an uncomfortable pregnant pause in the interview proccess.

I love it becausae Kyle should have asked that question and JIMMY HASLAM should have been prepaired to handle that one but he wasn't.

Pettine is the guy who wanted Kyle. He would go thru the proper channles of getting full buy-in from President Joe Banner and GM Mike Lombardi and assistant GM Ray Farmer before kicking it upstairs to Jimmy before any interview would take place. The owner and the GM ect obviously would approve anyone in the interview proccess.

Pettine is they guy who wanted him and that is why the organization eventually gave in and hired him.

You can say that some or even all of the Washington problems on offense were due to Kyle Shanahan but I know that the reason why the interview went off-the-tracks is because that question embarassed the owner but he must have gotten over it or else Kyle wouldn't have gotten hired.

I think Kyle is an ok hire overall but he was the best candidate left and quite frankly if you look at the OCs who have been hired this offseason, he's as good as any of them so its not a bad hire.

Users who are viewing this thread