What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

I know most of us think they are all idiots at WKNR, but they were in rare form last night and into this morning. SO FREAKING NEGATIVE.

How do they not understand that one wide receiver is not going to help this team whatsoever???

After so much talk about big name, impact players at #6, most Browns fans are deflated today. Time will tell. :popcorn:
Really? Haven't talked to anyone who's upset about what happened last night.
Exactly. Browns fans love this, including me.
No kidding? All the talk I heard was "disappointment", "Who?", "Why trade back up, he would have fallen?", "Why a NT?", and so on.At any rate, I had them pegged for a DL all along, so I'm good with it. :thumbup:

I know most of us think they are all idiots at WKNR, but they were in rare form last night and into this morning. SO FREAKING NEGATIVE.How do they not understand that one wide receiver is not going to help this team whatsoever???
especially when the montage they showed of Jones after his pick was all of his drops. very happy they got the extra picks

When you give up a 3rd those are legitimate questions.
I think they knew they would likely have to trade back up to get their guy and factored that into what they got from Atlanta.Jones + a 3rd for Taylor + 2nd + 4th + 2012 1st and 4th? No brainer

Last edited by a moderator:
After so much talk about big name, impact players at #6, most Browns fans are deflated today. Time will tell. :popcorn:
The pick just confuses me a bit. I LOVE the trading back and the extra picks. But if we wanted a big, fat, run-stuffing DT, we could have just kept Shaun Rogers, yes? I just don't understand the player we picked, although I was not happy with the release of Rogers either, so that could be a reason why.The 2 players we end up with tonight will end up telling me what I need to know about this draft. So many options there at the early pick, and the late 2nd helps to make up for our missing 3rd a bit. If we can come away with a WR and someone else to help on D (D-line, LB, and Secondary all need help), then I will be satisfied.

'gandalas said:
'Kosar said:
'wadegarrett said:
'daveR said:
The pick just confuses me a bit. I LOVE the trading back and the extra picks. But if we wanted a big, fat, run-stuffing DT, we could have just kept Shaun Rogers, yes? I just don't understand the player we picked, although I was not happy with the release of Rogers either, so that could be a reason why.The 2 players we end up with tonight will end up telling me what I need to know about this draft. So many options there at the early pick, and the late 2nd helps to make up for our missing 3rd a bit. If we can come away with a WR and someone else to help on D (D-line, LB, and Secondary all need help), then I will be satisfied.
Rogers is done. If you watched any of the games last year, you would know that. He's a part time player.

'Kosar said:
I know most of us think they are all idiots at WKNR, but they were in rare form last night and into this morning. SO FREAKING NEGATIVE.How do they not understand that one wide receiver is not going to help this team whatsoever???
Rare form indeed.

Rare form indeed.
I listen to WKNR from my computer here in Tampa, and they don't know...Ned, and Hammer are just trying to make a name for each other by saying dumb things so everyone in Cleveland will talk about them. After all this team never really passed the ball much last year so you never know if Carton Mitchell, or Little (now), or even Jordan (that 4th round draft TE, which I am guess is going to be a WR in the WC....6'5" 4:59 speed) Or even MoMass or the rest of the clowns are any good. I am excited to found out this year.

In case anyone hadn't seen this from Peter King's MMQB...

I've got a great story for you to lead the draft weekend column:When Cal defensive end Cameron Jordan was taking a tour through his new business home -- the New Orleans Saints practice facility in Metairie, La. --on Saturday, his cell phone rang."Hi,'' said the voice on the other end. "Jordan? This is the Cleveland Browns ... '' The call was for some biographical information."Uh, yeah, this is Cameron Jordan,'' he said. "But the Saints already picked me.''There was an awkward pause, and Cameron Jordan said: "I think you mean Jordan Cameron, you're looking for Jordan Cameron. That's not me.''Cameron Jordan, the 24th pick in the draft, then hung up the phone. The Browns actually picked the right person -- USC tight end Jordan Cameron and had phoned him to tell him the good news -- and this was the call back to get biographical information from him.Well, they do have something in common: They're both from the Pac-10.

Horrible news. This story nails it- Jim Donovan has become synonymous with the Browns for me. My dad had this particular type of Leukemia (CLL is called the least agressive and most treatable form of adult Leukemia with AML, ALL, and CML being more aggressive). He battled it and put it into remission for about a year before it progressed like Jim's below. He passed on from a heart attack, not the CLL, but no less, this is a scary disease.

I hope he gets well soon. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

I will work for a few minutes to try to match up the TV telecast with Jim's radio broadcast so I don't have to listen to slugs like Don Criqui.

WKYC sportscaster Jim Donovan to have bone marrow transplant to battle leukemia

Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 11:27 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 11:31 PM

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Unbeknownst to viewers and even co-workers, WKYC TV 3 sports director and "radio voice of the Browns" Jim Donovan has been receiving treatment for leukemia for 11 years.

The disease is now causing him to undergo a bone marrow transplant. Donovan will take a leave of absence to have the procedure done in the coming weeks. He made the announcement on his 11 p.m. sportscast on Channel 3 tonight.

Donovan, 54, was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in the summer of 2000. The disease was treated by chemotherapy and other therapies over the years. A flare-up of the disease in January resulted in the decision to have the bone marrow procedure.

He was put on a waiting list for a donor and learned in April that a match was found.

"From the time I got diagnosed, the transplant option was always laid out to me," Donovan said in an interview prior to his sportscast. "The waiting has been kind of torturous. I think we're as ready as we can be."

A native of Boston, Donovan joined Channel 3 in 1985. In that time he's called play-by-play at the network level for NBC on NFL games, the Olympic Games and World Cup Soccer, and won numerous broadcast awards. He was named the Browns' radio voice in 1999. Calling those games has been his favorite assignment.

Donovan's trademark energy and enthusiasm never waned while the team floundered and he coped with various treatment periods. He never missed a Browns game, though he had to give up calling Indians games on Channel 3 because of a rough period in 2008.

"He gets that adrenaline rush just like a player," said Doug Dieken, the former Browns tackle and Donovan's partner on radio broadcasts. "On game day, he wakes up and he's ready to go. He puts everything he's got into it. After a game he's drained as if he played.

"He's a true professional. He's always been able to turn it up, regardless. I'm sure there's some suffering I don't see and people don't hear. It's got to take its toll. But he's a gamer."

Brooke Spectorsky, WKYC president and general manager, said that Donovan's ability to keep his battle private while performing his job at the highest level "is what makes him so exceptional."

"He's tackling this just like he's tackled every job, every project, he's ever done for us," Spectorsky said. "He puts every ounce of effort into overcoming this disease, just like he does his homework for a broadcast."

Donovan said he felt lucky that on most occasions the disease has not been debilitating physically. But "mentally, there isn't a day that goes by that you don't think about it," he said.

He said he dealt best with the disease by plunging himself into his job and staying as busy as possible. Besides calling Browns games and his duties at Channel 3, Donovan anchors Browns coverage on cable partner SportsTime Ohio. He also has served as spokesperson for several charities and frequently emcees events for the Browns.

The Browns have assured Donovan that his play-by-play job will be reserved for him when he's healthy.

"On behalf of everyone here at the Cleveland Browns, I'd like to wish Jim a speedy recovery," Browns President Mike Holmgren said in a statement. "Jim has been a respected voice in the Cleveland sports scene for many years, and his association with our organization is held in high esteem. His name has become synonymous with the Browns and we consider him a part of our family. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this process."

When not doing the games, Donovan has found peace in walking his two beloved dogs and spending time with wife Cheryl and daughter Meghan, 20.

Recovery from the bone marrow transplant is expected to be about five months. Donovan said he hopes to be back behind the microphone for the coming Browns season.

"My goal is to get healthy and be back covering Cleveland sports as soon as possible. I'm going to really miss my job. I love what I do," he said.

Horrible news. This story nails it- Jim Donovan has become synonymous with the Browns for me. My dad had this particular type of Leukemia (CLL is called the least agressive and most treatable form of adult Leukemia with AML, ALL, and CML being more aggressive). He battled it and put it into remission for about a year before it progressed like Jim's below. He passed on from a heart attack, not the CLL, but no less, this is a scary disease.

I hope he gets well soon. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

I will work for a few minutes to try to match up the TV telecast with Jim's radio broadcast so I don't have to listen to slugs like Don Criqui.

WKYC sportscaster Jim Donovan to have bone marrow transplant to battle leukemia

Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 11:27 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 11:31 PM

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Unbeknownst to viewers and even co-workers, WKYC TV 3 sports director and "radio voice of the Browns" Jim Donovan has been receiving treatment for leukemia for 11 years.

The disease is now causing him to undergo a bone marrow transplant. Donovan will take a leave of absence to have the procedure done in the coming weeks. He made the announcement on his 11 p.m. sportscast on Channel 3 tonight.

Donovan, 54, was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in the summer of 2000. The disease was treated by chemotherapy and other therapies over the years. A flare-up of the disease in January resulted in the decision to have the bone marrow procedure.

He was put on a waiting list for a donor and learned in April that a match was found.

"From the time I got diagnosed, the transplant option was always laid out to me," Donovan said in an interview prior to his sportscast. "The waiting has been kind of torturous. I think we're as ready as we can be."

A native of Boston, Donovan joined Channel 3 in 1985. In that time he's called play-by-play at the network level for NBC on NFL games, the Olympic Games and World Cup Soccer, and won numerous broadcast awards. He was named the Browns' radio voice in 1999. Calling those games has been his favorite assignment.

Donovan's trademark energy and enthusiasm never waned while the team floundered and he coped with various treatment periods. He never missed a Browns game, though he had to give up calling Indians games on Channel 3 because of a rough period in 2008.

"He gets that adrenaline rush just like a player," said Doug Dieken, the former Browns tackle and Donovan's partner on radio broadcasts. "On game day, he wakes up and he's ready to go. He puts everything he's got into it. After a game he's drained as if he played.

"He's a true professional. He's always been able to turn it up, regardless. I'm sure there's some suffering I don't see and people don't hear. It's got to take its toll. But he's a gamer."

Brooke Spectorsky, WKYC president and general manager, said that Donovan's ability to keep his battle private while performing his job at the highest level "is what makes him so exceptional."

"He's tackling this just like he's tackled every job, every project, he's ever done for us," Spectorsky said. "He puts every ounce of effort into overcoming this disease, just like he does his homework for a broadcast."

Donovan said he felt lucky that on most occasions the disease has not been debilitating physically. But "mentally, there isn't a day that goes by that you don't think about it," he said.

He said he dealt best with the disease by plunging himself into his job and staying as busy as possible. Besides calling Browns games and his duties at Channel 3, Donovan anchors Browns coverage on cable partner SportsTime Ohio. He also has served as spokesperson for several charities and frequently emcees events for the Browns.

The Browns have assured Donovan that his play-by-play job will be reserved for him when he's healthy.

"On behalf of everyone here at the Cleveland Browns, I'd like to wish Jim a speedy recovery," Browns President Mike Holmgren said in a statement. "Jim has been a respected voice in the Cleveland sports scene for many years, and his association with our organization is held in high esteem. His name has become synonymous with the Browns and we consider him a part of our family. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this process."

When not doing the games, Donovan has found peace in walking his two beloved dogs and spending time with wife Cheryl and daughter Meghan, 20.

Recovery from the bone marrow transplant is expected to be about five months. Donovan said he hopes to be back behind the microphone for the coming Browns season.

"My goal is to get healthy and be back covering Cleveland sports as soon as possible. I'm going to really miss my job. I love what I do," he said.
Hoping for a full recovery. Big Jim Donovan fan.

I remember his first night on WKYC way back when (1985). Didn't think he would make it. He would get tongue tied, often fumbling words in his first couple weeks (as well as that first night), and he looked sooo young even though he was in his late twenties. He figured it all out and grew on us, moving up to sports director and has become synonymous with the Browns and a respected voice of Cleveland sports for many many years. Get well soon Jim.

Time to get it going fellas!!...

Haven't been in here in a while...but also hoping for a good recovery for Jim. Haven't heard much about it since it came out a couple months ago. While I'm not as big a fan as him as some of you seem to be, he is passionate and respected. I'm still probably partial to Nev if we're talking Browns and Gib probably gets the nod for people older than (most of) us...but Jim is certainly entrenched.

Time to get it going fellas!!...Haven't been in here in a while...but also hoping for a good recovery for Jim. Haven't heard much about it since it came out a couple months ago. While I'm not as big a fan as him as some of you seem to be, he is passionate and respected. I'm still probably partial to Nev if we're talking Browns and Gib probably gets the nod for people older than (most of) us...but Jim is certainly entrenched.
For me...1. Nev2. Gib3. Jim

Looks like the Defense will be the side of the ball getting any free agents this year. They need DE, LB and S.

S Quintin Mikell is a Heckert guy and someone I expect them to go after. Eric Weddle and Donte Whitner are other names I saw.

Charles Johnson and Ray Edwards are the two DEs I see mentioned most and would rather have Johnson there.

MLB Barrett Ruud's name has come up. Not a great run stopper but is a solid veteran. Sticking him behind Rubin and Smith might help him a ton in the run game though.

Read they want to resign Eric Wright. :X There has to be a better option out there, no?

It absolutely pains my soul to say this, but I think the team could use Plaxico.
I agree. Why not sign Plax to an incentive laden two year deal? Could help Plax get his career headed in the right direction and give McCoy a reliable target. Seems like a right fit to me.

It absolutely pains my soul to say this, but I think the team could use Plaxico.
I agree. Why not sign Plax to an incentive laden two year deal? Could help Plax get his career headed in the right direction and give McCoy a reliable target. Seems like a right fit to me.
The only thing about it that is a negative is Plax's history with missing and being late for practices and the potential effect it would have on a young team. However, his recent personal events may have straightened him out though.

The issue with cleveland is that their receiving corps is young and inexperienced- and potentially not very talented (MM and Robiskie). Signing plax doesn't really help as he has been out of football for a couple of years and won't be expected to produce a lot the first season. He will playing himself back into shape and getting readjusted to game speed. What the Browns should do is make a run at D Mason. His experience, attitude and reputation could help the young receivers while he will be most productive when they are least productive (this year) and fade as they are getting stronger. Plax is a guy you want to stick in a strong WR corps where he can specialize for the first season not in a corps that needs a quality all around player.

The only thing about it that is a negative is Plax's history with missing and being late for practices and the potential effect it would have on a young team. However, his recent personal events may have straightened him out though.
The history is why I think you go the short term incentive laden deal. If he produces, he gets paid. If not, he doesn't. The issue with my theory is some team will likely overpay.

The issue with cleveland is that their receiving corps is young and inexperienced- and potentially not very talented (MM and Robiskie). Signing plax doesn't really help as he has been out of football for a couple of years and won't be expected to produce a lot the first season. He will playing himself back into shape and getting readjusted to game speed. What the Browns should do is make a run at D Mason. His experience, attitude and reputation could help the young receivers while he will be most productive when they are least productive (this year) and fade as they are getting stronger. Plax is a guy you want to stick in a strong WR corps where he can specialize for the first season not in a corps that needs a quality all around player.
Plax is still a huge target. Ive been onboard this idea of getting Plax since before his release. He'd come cheap and I'd be very surprised if he doesnt come back in focused and a little more mature. I just love his redzone potential and know he adds to our playbook. We dont need Mason, there will be much cheaper veterans to provide leadership if needed.

Plax is still a huge target. Ive been onboard this idea of getting Plax since before his release. He'd come cheap and I'd be very surprised if he doesnt come back in focused and a little more mature. I just love his redzone potential and know he adds to our playbook. We dont need Mason, there will be much cheaper veterans to provide leadership if needed.
The Browns don't just need leadership, they need leadership and production. And the Browns don't just need a redzone threat, they need a move the chains guy. Mason fills three needs, Plax 1.

The Browns don't just need leadership, they need leadership and production. And the Browns don't just need a redzone threat, they need a move the chains guy. Mason fills three needs, Plax 1.
I'm with ya, bacon.

Any news on Roth? All the rumblings have been that he expected (wanted) to be gone, but we sure could use him at DE.

So here seems to be what I've caught the last few days:

Ray Edwards - Needed piece on the DLine...should be starting at an end...maybe left side? I haven't really seem this "official" yet so I'm still unsure.

Usama Bin Laden Young - Should be the starter in Elam's place.

Brandon Jackson - Well we probably knew they'd get a RB and he seems to fit the mold that we need...catch it out of the backfield. Hopefully the deal isn't insanely long.

Signed picks Sheard and Little to 4 year deals...could be starting right out of the gate at RE and WR. I also heard Dawson and Moore will sign the tenders and we resigned DQJax although not sure of the terms.

Certainly plugging the holes....just not with high profile/high priced (over priced in some cases) players. Seems fine to me so far.

Eric Wright signed with Detroit this morning.

He had an awful year, but leaves our secondary :topcat: :help:

We have some room and this team is a year away, minimum, from competing. Do we get in the Asomugha sweepstakes? Jonathan Joseph would have made a nice addition but signed with Houston.

I wish more now more than ever that Arizona would have let Patrick Peterson slip to us.

Eric Wright signed with Detroit this morning. He had an awful year, but leaves our secondary :topcat: :help: We have some room and this team is a year away, minimum, from competing. Do we get in the Asomugha sweepstakes? Jonathan Joseph would have made a nice addition but signed with Houston.I wish more now more than ever that Arizona would have let Patrick Peterson slip to us.
As bad as Wright was last year...I certainly wanted to see him back. But sounds like it was more that he wanted to leave more than we didn't want him. Peterson would have been a fantastic fit. I don't think we get in the Aso sweepstakes...but if he goes to the Jets, what about Cromartie? There are a few other guys out there that would work...but alot of the CBs I don't know much about. I like B. Carr but he is RFA. Then there is Rogers/Clements/Marshall but they all have question marks of some sort. Steal C. Carr from the Ravens or was he a flash in the pan? Give Fabian a shot?

Eric Wright signed with Detroit this morning. He had an awful year, but leaves our secondary :topcat: :help: We have some room and this team is a year away, minimum, from competing. Do we get in the Asomugha sweepstakes? Jonathan Joseph would have made a nice addition but signed with Houston.I wish more now more than ever that Arizona would have let Patrick Peterson slip to us.
As bad as Wright was last year...I certainly wanted to see him back. But sounds like it was more that he wanted to leave more than we didn't want him. Peterson would have been a fantastic fit. I don't think we get in the Aso sweepstakes...but if he goes to the Jets, what about Cromartie? There are a few other guys out there that would work...but alot of the CBs I don't know much about. I like B. Carr but he is RFA. Then there is Rogers/Clements/Marshall but they all have question marks of some sort. Steal C. Carr from the Ravens or was he a flash in the pan? Give Fabian a shot?
Peterson would have been nice but this team has so many holes I'm glad we didn't get him because of the haul we got from ATL. Sheldon Brown is a below average but acceptable #2 corner, we do need a 3rd.No chance the Browns land Nnamdi- if he was going to a non contender returning to the Raiders makes more sense.

So here seems to be what I've caught the last few days:Ray Edwards - Needed piece on the DLine...should be starting at an end...maybe left side? I haven't really seem this "official" yet so I'm still unsure.Usama Bin Laden Young - Should be the starter in Elam's place.Brandon Jackson - Well we probably knew they'd get a RB and he seems to fit the mold that we need...catch it out of the backfield. Hopefully the deal isn't insanely long.Signed picks Sheard and Little to 4 year deals...could be starting right out of the gate at RE and WR. I also heard Dawson and Moore will sign the tenders and we resigned DQJax although not sure of the terms.Certainly plugging the holes....just not with high profile/high priced (over priced in some cases) players. Seems fine to me so far.
Can forget about Edwards. Sounds like he's going to Atlanta. Need to address this position ASAP.

So here seems to be what I've caught the last few days:Ray Edwards - Needed piece on the DLine...should be starting at an end...maybe left side? I haven't really seem this "official" yet so I'm still unsure.Usama Bin Laden Young - Should be the starter in Elam's place.Brandon Jackson - Well we probably knew they'd get a RB and he seems to fit the mold that we need...catch it out of the backfield. Hopefully the deal isn't insanely long.Signed picks Sheard and Little to 4 year deals...could be starting right out of the gate at RE and WR. I also heard Dawson and Moore will sign the tenders and we resigned DQJax although not sure of the terms.Certainly plugging the holes....just not with high profile/high priced (over priced in some cases) players. Seems fine to me so far.
Can forget about Edwards. Sounds like he's going to Atlanta. Need to address this position ASAP.
We need to re-sign Roth...Quickly. And I like the idea of Cromartie.

I'm not sad to see Wright go one bit. There's a hundred guys like him. Same with Edwards. This guy from Grantland has Edwards as the most overrated player out there. They'll stick some bodies in there as a stop gap as they continued to build through the draft.

That unfortunately means this is going to be another long year. :kicksrock:

But I like the direction it's headed. For once.

I'm not sad to see Wright go one bit. There's a hundred guys like him. Same with Edwards. This guy from Grantland has Edwards as the most overrated player out there. They'll stick some bodies in there as a stop gap as they continued to build through the draft.

Alot of people say Edwards is getting paid because of the other 75% of the Vikings DLine. I'm fine not getting him too but we gotta get multiple players and we have to spend the money either way. I'd rather have it be somebody with some upside that maybe turns into a keeper rather than just a stop gap, so maybe Edwards would have been severly overpaid here, but I also like to think we have something brewing on the interior already with Rubin and Taylor.

Unfortunately this team still has way too many holes and absolutely no depth. I really can't see them winning any more than 6 games this year.

Alot of people say Edwards is getting paid because of the other 75% of the Vikings DLine. I'm fine not getting him too but we gotta get multiple players and we have to spend the money either way. I'd rather have it be somebody with some upside that maybe turns into a keeper rather than just a stop gap, so maybe Edwards would have been severly overpaid here, but I also like to think we have something brewing on the interior already with Rubin and Taylor.
Notice that all the big moves are being made by teams going "all in". Browns aren't in that position.

Apparently the Bunkley trade never happened...

@TonyGrossi#Browns GM Tom Heckert on Brodrick Bunkley: "You'll have to talk to Philadelphia about that one."
@MaryKayCabot#Browns GM Tom Heckert was asked about absent DT Brodrick Bunkley and was vague. Said "absolutely nothing'' to report. Said talk to Philly.
@twithersAP Tom WithersHeckert adamant about not discussing Bunkley situation. Eagles announced trade Satuday. "I'm not confirming anything," Heckert said.
@Btags4 Dan BattagliaThe Eagles have some issues with the thought to be done Bunkley deal, trade may be dead. Details will come out

:shrug:

Defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley a no-show so far at Browns training camp

Published: Monday, August 01, 2011, 2:36 PM

Cleveland.com

CLEVELAND -- The Eagles announced Saturday that they traded defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley to the Browns for a fifth-round pick in 2012, but Bunkley has not shown up for training camp -- and the Browns will not confirm that the trade ever took place.

Browns general manager Tom Heckert said today he had "absolutely nothing'' to report on Bunkley because the Browns never acknowledged the trade in the first place. "You'll have to talk to Philadelphia,'' said Heckert.

So for now, it's unclear whether the trade is falling through, whether it actually took place or whether or not Bunkley will ever show up. Bunkley was the 14th overall pick of the Eagles out of Florida State when Heckert was general manager there in 2006.
Link

Stuff I heard on the radio at lunch and my drive home today about Monday training camp: Jabaal Sheard was a freak; the quickest lineman, the fastest lineman, probably the smallest linman, but also the strongest lineman. T.J. Ward looked great, among other things picking off Wallace for what would have been a return for touchdown, and some other passes defensed. Haden looked very good. The passing offense started out with a bunch of short throws and check-downs. McCoy hit Demetrius Williams with a bomb and Jordan Norwood had some good plays too. But it was Greg Little that really stood out. Looks like the best wide receiver on the team already. Big fast and strong, able to outmuscle db's and come down with the catches.

just looked at their schedule and it's insanely easy..

Problem is, it's just as easy for Pitt and Baltimore.

Stuff I heard on the radio at lunch and my drive home today about Monday training camp: Jabaal Sheard was a freak; the quickest lineman, the fastest lineman, probably the smallest linman, but also the strongest lineman. T.J. Ward looked great, among other things picking off Wallace for what would have been a return for touchdown, and some other passes defensed. Haden looked very good. The passing offense started out with a bunch of short throws and check-downs. McCoy hit Demetrius Williams with a bomb and Jordan Norwood had some good plays too. But it was Greg Little that really stood out. Looks like the best wide receiver on the team already. Big fast and strong, able to outmuscle db's and come down with the catches.
:goodposting: and thanks.Man, the Bunkley stuff is puzzling. I guess he's off to Denver now as we had medical concerns. Traded for OG Greco of the Rams...for undisclosed 2012 draft selection.

We resigned Jayme Mitchell for 2 years, which I guess is good news since he was good enough to trade for last season. Interesting stuff from Grossi.

BEREA, Ohio -- The story goes that shortly after he arrived in a trade from the Minnesota Vikings last October, a bewildered Jayme Mitchell asked a club official what everyone else was wondering. Why would a team playing a 3-4 defensive alignment trade for a player who has only lined up as a 4-3 defensive end in his career? "Just be patient. You'll see," was the reported response. So now the Browns are playing a 4-3 and Mitchell is projected as the starting left end. "Nobody ever said there was a plan," Mitchell said on Monday. "But I could sense it." How so? "Just the way some of the assistant coaches used to hint, or whatever," Mitchell said. "I don't know, man, I could just sense it was in the air." Mitchell labored through 12 weeks of the 2010 season, never so much as suiting up for a game. After the season, General Manager Tom Heckert said Mitchell was the best pass rusher on the team. But it looked like the Browns essentially gave away a seventh-round draft pick when Mitchell became an unrestricted free agent. They targeted him as a high priority and were able to re-sign him to a two-year contract. "In fairness to Eric [Mangini], he's not a fit for a 3-4 end," Heckert said on Monday. "We talked about that. I'm not putting blame on Eric. I wish we would've had the chance to see him [last year]. We knew it wasn't a fit and we made the trade anyway. If we had lost him, then it would have been a stupid trade."

:goodposting: and thanks.Man, the Bunkley stuff is puzzling. I guess he's off to Denver now as we had medical concerns. Traded for OG Greco of the Rams...for undisclosed 2012 draft selection.
Nice to read that about Ward and Haden. Think they both make a huge leap forward this year.Heckert loves Jordan Norwood. Thinks he's going to be good. Nice to read that about Little also.

Sounds like Hodges could be out a long time...non contact injury when they were practicing taking a safety on a punt...ooof

Users who are viewing this thread