What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

@AdamSchefter: And @mortreport reports he'd expect the Browns to snap up QB Johnny Manziel with the No. 4 pick if he's still there.

m.twitter.com/AdamSchefter
If I want anything to not happen in the draft, it's this. Seeing Browns fans turn up their nose at imperfect QBs, yet ones that could actually help them win, is becoming an annual thing around here.

Of course, seeing them rend garments and gnash teeth if it happened might be fun too.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AdamSchefter: And @mortreport reports he'd expect the Browns to snap up QB Johnny Manziel with the No. 4 pick if he's still there.

If I want anything to not happen in the draft, it's this. Seeing Browns fans turn up their nose at imperfect QBs, yet ones that could actually help them win, is becoming an annual thing around here.

Of course, seeing them rend garments and gnash teeth if it happened might be fun too.
I am telling you, people in here will be jumping off of bridges if they take Bortles, they'll be throwing innocent bystanders off THEN jumping off themselves if they draft Manziel

if they happen to pass on Watkins for one of those then I seriously fear for Farmer's well being

Evan Silva‏@evansilva8m

On 'On the Clock,' Mort hinted he'd expect #Browns to take Manziel at 4 if #Rams take Greg Robinson at 2. (Most common mock draft scenario.)
Interesting. Some earlier talk leading to this tweet suggests the Rams might take Manziel at 2, but in the more logical scenario where the Rams take the tackle Robinson, Cleveland takes Manziel at 4.
this thread could break if the browns take Manziel at 4
The whole city would. It's 50/50 Manziel or no Manziel and both sides thinks the other is nuts.

IF farmer pulls the trigger on Manziel will some of the anti-johnny people in here start to question his abilities? Is your JF disdain that high??

I am telling you, people in here will be jumping off of bridges if they take Bortles, they'll be throwing innocent bystanders off THEN jumping off themselves if they draft Manziel

if they happen to pass on Watkins for one of those then I seriously fear for Farmer's well being
I don't agree. While the opinions on Manziel have the greatest variance extreme to extreme I think most around here would be irate if we drafted Bortles 4th, myself included. I haven't seen much support for him at all around here.

Great take on finding a special QB by Bill Polian, six-time NFL executive of the year Bill Polian.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/bill-polian-on-browns-all-is-not-dark-in-cleveland-but-it-all-comes-back-to-the-trigger-man-1.485863?localLinksEnabled=false

Former NFL executive Bill Polian conducted a conference call today and shared his thoughts about the Browns’ Ray Farmer embarking on a quest for a franchise quarterback in his first draft as a general manager.

... Below is an excerpt from the conference call with Polian, a former GM of the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts.

“I’ve said numerous times I don’t know what a franchise quarterback is,” Polian said. “What you’re looking for is a quarterback who’s good enough to get your team to the playoffs, and in doing so, be able to win your division. Anything that happens after that is a function of the strength of your overall squad. If you’re fortunate enough to get a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees or an Aaron Rodgers, that’s an added bonus. You don’t go looking for those guys, they find you if they’re out there. Just as Andrew [Luck] and RG III stood out so dramatically.

... “To their great credit, this new group and the group that preceded them inherited a pretty good team, a pretty competitive team. So they’ve got a chance to move fast with this group. All is not dark in Cleveland. In fact, there’s a lot to be happy about. But it all comes back to the trigger man.”
I like that.

You don't even attempt to find guys like that, they find you IF THEY ARE OUT THERE.

Tells me we don't have to reach for a QB at #4 and I've felt that all along.

We may have one drop into our lap at #26 or later.

I thought it was a great take.

FWIW, Charlie Casserly laughed at the notion of Manziel going in the top 10. Said he doesn't think he's going in round 1.
That seems like a case of projection to me. Casserly doesn't think Manziel should go in the first round, therefore he isn't going in the first round.

FWIW, Charlie Casserly laughed at the notion of Manziel going in the top 10. Said he doesn't think he's going in round 1.
That seems like a case of projection to me. Casserly doesn't think Manziel should go in the first round, therefore he isn't going in the first round.
Not really when you here him talk about it. He basically said he's not a top 10 guy and once he falls past 15 or so the back half of the draft doesn't have QB needy teams. He acknowledged that someone could trade back into round 1 for him. It seems like he just has a low 1st grade on him.

Not really when you here him talk about it. He basically said he's not a top 10 guy and once he falls past 15 or so the back half of the draft doesn't have QB needy teams. He acknowledged that someone could trade back into round 1 for him. It seems like he just has a low 1st grade on him.
clearly a LOT of people have him going in the first round or even high first round, so when someone laughs at the notion it could happen i think it is fair to say he may be projecting his feelings on Manziel

clearly a LOT of people have him going in the first round or even high first round, so when someone laughs at the notion it could happen i think it is fair to say he may be projecting his feelings on Manziel
Well, he said if he goes top 10 he is being lied to buy a lot of people. He's referring to his sources in the league.

Tells me we don't have to reach for a QB at #4 and I've felt that all along.
We may have one drop into our lap at #26 or later.
I had a different takeaway. Mine was if you see a guy that will get you to the playoffs then you pick him.
He says that you are looking for a guy who can get you to the playoffs and win your division but add this key line

"Anything that happens after that is a function of the strength of your overall squad."

So the point is do you take away the chance to add to the strength of your overall squad in bypassing them trying to reach to find the next Manning/Brady?

He also makes this critical point"

"If you’re fortunate enough to get a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees or an Aaron Rodgers, that’s an added bonus. You don’t go looking for those guys, they find you if they’re out there. Just as Andrew [Luck] and RG III stood out so dramatically

Its a foregone conclusion that their isn't an Andrew Luck or and RG III in this draft. No one stands out so don't try too hard to find an Aarron Rodgers, a Drew Brees, or a Russ Wilson. Let them find us..

Its possible that either Teddy or Johnny or even both are at #26 and we get them after drafting a solid player that adds to the overall strength of the team at #4.

Well, he said if he goes top 10 he is being lied to buy a lot of people. He's referring to his sources in the league.
i'd think a lot of these mockers have sources in the league

mort's got a few

casserly is either projecting his feelings or trying to create a stir

@NFLDraftBites: Don't think Ray Farmer gets Cute. Owner wants Manziel & hell get his guy. Whyd Lombardi quit? Over Meddling Owner? Mr. Haslam's in charge

@NFLDraftBites: @SatchnScooby Haslam's a Showmen. Wants Browns relevant Nationally. If JM success, he is to Browns what Peyton Manning was Colts. Media Wise

@NFLDraftBites: Mr. Haslam wants Johnny Manziel. Question can Football people tell Owner be patient. Land another player 4th & package picks move up from 26

@NFLDraftBites: #Browns Jake Matthews perfect fit for Shannahan Zone Scheme. Kicks Mitchell Schwartz inside & heir apparent Joe Thomas. Trade up for Manziel

@NFLDraftBites: Here's the Secret w/ Manziel- Browns only serious Rd 1 Suitor. Vikings & Buccaneers have 0 interest. Both teams extensive work Rd 2-3 QBs

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam "loves" Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
The Browns have been linked to Manziel for months on end, and it wouldn't be surprising if Haslam was the primary reason. Haslam has proven extremely meddlesome and impatient in his first year and a half on the job, and could overrule his football men on the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Cleveland Browns should resist temptation of Johnny Manziel or any QB with No. 4 pick: AnalysisBy Tom Reed

BEREA, Ohio – From a strictly selfish standpoint, I want the Browns to select a quarterback with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. I want his name to be Johnny Manziel.

The Texas A&M product would be a boon for local media outlets. Love him or loathe him, Manziel is irresistible as a topic. It would carry all the hype of LeBron James’ rookie season in Cleveland, only this time playing for the city’s most storied franchise. Think of the web clicks, the Arbitron ratings. There would be no moratorium on Johnny Football. I dream of writing the following headline:

Manziel to raise Alpacas in the offseason

I envision the first 20 comments debating whether Manziel has legitimate Alpaca presence or whether he’d scramble at the first sign of trouble.

Alas, I cannot endorse this fantasy. The Browns should draft a quarterback with one of their first three picks, but none of them makes sense at No. 4. It would be a selection based more on hope than sound rationale.

Everyone knows quarterback is the most important player on the field. But all members of the position’s upper crust in this draft – Manziel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr – come with legitimate question marks. As one league executive noted to the Boston Globe, every team “that perceivably needs a quarterback signed one in free agency.”

The Browns added Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen, but more importantly have Brian Hoyer in place. Coach Mike Pettine said last week he thinks teams can make mistakes starting rookie quarterbacks too soon.

The Browns have a war chest of draft picks – three in the top 35 and eight in the top 145. They should be able to move up from No. 26 (their second first-round pick) if they fear a quarterback they desire is about to come off the board.

There are simply too many other good options at No. 4 for the Browns. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock addressed the dilemma facing all quarterback-needy teams during a February conference call.

“I think the important thing is to get the pick right, and if they are not in love with any of those three quarterbacks, this is one of the best position Top 10s I've ever seen,” Mayock said when asked specifically about the Houston Texans and Manziel. “Taking a position kid or trading down makes a ton of sense for these guys.”

The Browns shouldn’t need to trade down.

If anyone from this grouping -- Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Greg Robinson -- is available, the Browns have themselves a good player.

I’ve heard and read research about the struggles of wide receivers early in the draft. Monday Morning Quarterback’s Greg Bedard observes only 1-in-3 receivers taken in the first two rounds since 2009 have caught at least 50 passes in a season. It’s hard to imagine, however, another wideout coming into a better scenario than the one the Browns afford: a first-team All-Pro receiver on the other side and a Pro Bowl tight end over the middle.

Coaches also don’t care as much about individual stats as they do the threat and dilemma the talents of good receivers create. A Josh Gordon-Watkins pairing is tantalizing.

“(Gordon) could have a very low-production game if teams are just rolling their coverage to him, but the effect that that has on the rest of the defense and the benefit that you have offensively . . .” Pettine said.

Selecting Watkins or Evans also provides you with insurance in case Gordon were to fail another drug test and suffer a one-year ban.

It’s doubtful Clowney is available at No. 4, but there’s a decent chance Mack will be. The University of Buffalo linebacker is the most complete player in draft, an edge rusher who can drop into coverage and make plays. I will be writing more on Mack later this week – spoiler alert: It's for our package of stories on "who to take at No. 4."

Some will argue Watkins and Mack are luxury picks, the Browns need help elsewhere. After 15 years of wafer-thin lineups, what’s wrong with loading up at several positions, especially ones that feature playmakers?

Adding an offensive tackle would not be my first option, the Browns already have lots of money and assets invested in the line, but many agree Robinson would be a solid top-5 choice.

Which brings us back to quarterbacks: There’s no consensus on any of the top signal callers.

“The more tape I watch of (Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater), the more questions I have,” Mayock said.

Ideally, you want to find the stud quarterback early in the draft and build the team around him, but Seattle has proven you can win a Super Bowl by adding Russell Wilson in the third round. Cincinnati has shown you can make multiple playoff appearances with an inconsistent second-rounder like Andy Dalton.

Taking a quarterback at No. 4 feels like forcing one into double coverage. Grab a position player at that spot, then identify a quarterback. If he happens to raise Alpacas in the offseason all the better.

Evan Silva‏@evansilva8m

On 'On the Clock,' Mort hinted he'd expect #Browns to take Manziel at 4 if #Rams take Greg Robinson at 2. (Most common mock draft scenario.)
Interesting. Some earlier talk leading to this tweet suggests the Rams might take Manziel at 2, but in the more logical scenario where the Rams take the tackle Robinson, Cleveland takes Manziel at 4.
this thread could WILL break if the browns take Manziel ANY QB at 4
fixed.

and raiderfan & andy... pls stop provoking us here w/ all the QB @ #4 "news" (aka BS). I hope either the raiders or vikes take JM.

Mort doesn't know crap.

Speculation from the Rams thread:

Bazinga! said:
loose circuits said:
Bazinga! said:
duaneok66 said:
Hey Bob Magaw (and other Rams fans) . . .

what's your take on these Bradford rumors? What's the cap hit on a trade??
All smokescreen IMO,

My take is the Rams want to trade down and the pre-draft talk seemed to be going in a direction that wasn't working for them. If Clowney goes #1 and there isn't any concern about a QB going #2 then the trade market will be weak. I think a lot of the talk is because the Rams want the speculation so that the trade up teams, that really want Johnny Football, come out of hiding and pay up for the trade up
I was posting the same thing basically while you were...I agree 100% although we disagree with the motive. I think they want Houston to stand pat and take a QB based of McLain insisting they were taking a QB from day 1 and that is a huge need for them. If Houston is in the market to trade down, it decreases the value of their pick- supply & demand
I like your angle on it. I was thinking they want the Cleveland 1sts so they want Cleveland fearful that the Rams will pick Manziel. I'm guessing Cleveland really wants him. That said, combining that with your thought, would leave me to believe that Texas and Cleveland could be the teams that end up trading...it will be interesting

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Browns scouts "like" Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, and the team could be eyeing him at No. 26 overall.
If the Browns can't land Johnny Manziel at No. 4 overall, it's almost certain they'll use their second of two first-round picks on a quarterback. Bridgewater and Fresno State's Derek Carr are believed to be two of the second tier signal callers high on Celveland's board. Bridgewater will likely go late in round one.

Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I'm not a Manziel fan, but I find myself kind of hoping they get him. Would be fun to see how it plays out...
sure. at 26. or if they "have" to move up cuz they want him... fine.

id rather not, but ok.

at 4, it's lights out. I will never support this team again, as it would be evident that haslam is a ####### moron who is hellbent on dragging this organization underground.

I'm not a Manziel fan, but I find myself kind of hoping they get him. Would be fun to see how it plays out...

id rather not, but ok.

at 4, it's lights out. I will never support this team again, as it would be evident that haslam is a ####### moron who is hellbent on dragging this organization underground.
100% agree with all of that (especially the Haslam part), but still - part of me would be kind excited about the outside possibility that the kid ends up being awesome. Kind of like the feeling you get when you push all in with 7-2 off suit and someone calls you on it. You immediately get a pit in your stomach, but there's always that little glimmer of hope cuz you know "maybe, just maybeeeee this will work out okay".

id rather not, but ok.

On what basis do you think that if they pick Johnny at 4, it is definitely Haslem's doing? How can you know it wouldn't be Farmer's pick?

On what basis do you think that if they pick Johnny at 4, it is definitely Haslem's doing? How can you know it wouldn't be Farmer's pick?
I'd know.

So would you.
Soul, no offense but just because we both think Manziel would be a terrible pick at 4, doesn't mean everyone else thinks that way. maybe they think that would be a great pick and give Farmer credit.

I'd know.

So would you.
Soul, no offense but just because we both think Manziel would be a terrible pick at 4, doesn't mean everyone else thinks that way.maybe they think that would be a great pick and give Farmer credit.
no, I know there are many that want him.

I have zero ability to understand why - but they do.

Like I said, Id take ANY of these qbs w the 26 pick. Im ok w that. At 4, I cannot stomach it. I can't. and I won't.

We had a sampling of Hoyer last year. Based on what we know, where would he be drafted if he were in this draft? Ahead of which QBs?

#### it. Just draft Manziel at 4

Might as well be consistent in our failure. Why change?

We also need to be aware that A Mack is gone after two more seasons.
player option, if we play well he will want to stay. Should get a contingency plan in place either this year or next year just in case. Can say the same thing at most positions though.

Users who are viewing this thread