What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (15 Viewers)

How do you guys like Kolb? It's looking more and more likely that he will be cut by the Cardinals and the Browns are the top destination.
I'm not against giving anyone a shot, even Kolb. The guy did show flashes in Philly. If the contract was right who knows. I am just not a big fan. I mean if you cannot be successful throwing to Fitz, what in the world are you going to do in Cleveland?

and in AFC North related news/speculation/mocks courtesy of Mel Kiper

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/40697/afc-north-version-kipers-debut-mock-draft

4. Cleveland Browns

Kiper's pick: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Hensley's comment: This has become the popular pick for the Browns at this spot. Still not sure if the Browns are sold on him or whether they would to use him to get more picks and trade down.

17. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper's pick: Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

Hensley's comment: The Bengals would love to see Alabama running back Trent Richardson fall but Kiper doesn't have him making it out of the top 5. The best value here would be cornerback. Cincinnati needs to groom someone to eventually replace veteran Nate Clements.

21. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper's pick: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)

Hensley's comment: It's assumed that the Bengals won't re-sign Cedric Benson, so running back will be a priority in this draft. Miller is more of a breakaway threat than Benson. Could Cincinnati have its own version of triplets?

22. Cleveland Browns

Kiper's pick: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

Hensley's comment: The Browns desperately need a playmaker to jumpstart their plodding offense. Wright definitely has the speed to stretch the field. Not sold on his lack of height (5 feet 10), though.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Kiper's pick: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

Hensley's comment: The Steelers put a premium on defensive linemen, taking Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward in the first round over the past three years. With the uncertainty surrounding nose tackle Casey Hampton, Poe is the type of space-eater who would round out an impressive young front.

30. Baltimore Ravens

Kiper's pick: Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona St.

Hensley's comment: It seems like for the past five drafts, this question comes up: Is this the year that the Ravens find the heir to Ray Lewis? Burfict has a Lewis-type attitude and would benefit from learning under the 13-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

RG3 to Wright.

ummmm, wouldn't that just be genius?

we'd have a damned offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
RG3 is going to end up being drafted #2 by somebody. I don't think it'll be the Browns because I don't think we'll trade up. If he falls to 4 we'll really find out if the Browns want him or not, but I doubt we get that opportunity. I don't think we do.
I don't think he goes #2. Kalil should be the Rams choice & he's too good to give up. If the Rams trade out of #2, they lose him. That would be very stupid.
If they can move down to 6, 9, or 12 and get Reiff instead (with Martin as plan B) while adding a future 1 + more I think that is the right move for them. They have more needs than just a left tackle. A lot more.

How do you guys like Kolb? It's looking more and more likely that he will be cut by the Cardinals and the Browns are the top destination.
I'm not against giving anyone a shot, even Kolb. The guy did show flashes in Philly. If the contract was right who knows. I am just not a big fan. I mean if you cannot be successful throwing to Fitz, what in the world are you going to do in Cleveland?
The guy simply can't read the field. He never had to in high school, nor college, and what did he really do to show he made the transition in Philly?

He's a decent fit in a WCO, but I still don't like him very much. I hope Heckert feels the same, but I'm afraid that he might like him a lot.I do think though that the Browns will not bring in a very expensive free agent QB. If Kolb is commanding a lot of cash then I don't think we'll pick him up- too many question marks.
Kolb shouldn't cost much after busting in AZ.

Sweet jesus, am I really reading that you guys are ok with Kolb coming to the Browns?

Talk about low standards...

Id rather hedge my bets on a rookie like RG3 than an unproven/untalented bust in Kolb.

Are you guys not sick of losing?

What they are saying about Griffin is that it depends on how committed the Browns are to running the west coast offense. Griffin excels in the shotgun. If they take Griffin and try to shoehorn him into the WCO, it probably won't work. Are they willing to change the offense? Is this why its taking so long to find an offensive coordinator? Are they pondering taking Griffin, and if they do, they want to bring in an OC to design an offense that fits his skills.

Griffin may wind up defining Holmgren's tenure in Cleveland no matter what happens. Holmgren's stated goal is to find the franchise a QB. If the Browns don't trade up to get Griffin, and he becomes a franchise QB somewhere else, that will be a huge black mark against Holmgren. Likewise, if he drafts Griffin, and he busts, its also a black mark.

Holmgren needs to get it right.

What they are saying about Griffin is that it depends on how committed the Browns are to running the west coast offense. Griffin excels in the shotgun. If they take Griffin and try to shoehorn him into the WCO, it probably won't work. Are they willing to change the offense? Is this why its taking so long to find an offensive coordinator? Are they pondering taking Griffin, and if they do, they want to bring in an OC to design an offense that fits his skills.Griffin may wind up defining Holmgren's tenure in Cleveland no matter what happens. Holmgren's stated goal is to find the franchise a QB. If the Browns don't trade up to get Griffin, and he becomes a franchise QB somewhere else, that will be a huge black mark against Holmgren. Likewise, if he drafts Griffin, and he busts, its also a black mark.Holmgren needs to get it right.
Hyperbole at its finest.

Sweet jesus, am I really reading that you guys are ok with Kolb coming to the Browns?Talk about low standards...Id rather hedge my bets on a rookie like RG3 than an unproven/untalented bust in Kolb. Are you guys not sick of losing?
Kolb is a ####### train wreck.

Are they willing to change the offense?
No. Which is why RG3 won't work until Shurmur's gone. The flip side to that is Shurmur probably gets another year if we don't take RG3.Go with the talent, get RG3, watch Shurmur implode, then bring in someone to use him properly.Probably the best method. Which won't happen. We'll have our opportunity, pass, then watch Shurmur continue to be clueless on the sideline until this regime has run its course. Blow it up. Then start over again.Send in..the...Clowns...

The guy simply can't read the field. He never had to in high school, nor college, and what did he really do to show he made the transition in Philly?
By flashes I meant this... 2009-2010 in Philly...in the 7 games where he had over 20 att he had 3 300yd games and 4 with a QB rating of over 100. And to be clear he is not a guy I would prefer them bring in. I was just saying that if the contract was right I would not be upset with them giving him a roster spot.
Sweet jesus, am I really reading that you guys are ok with Kolb coming to the Browns?Talk about low standards...Id rather hedge my bets on a rookie like RG3 than an unproven/untalented bust in Kolb. Are you guys not sick of losing?
We get it, you like Griffin.
No kidding. What are you going to do with yourself if RG3 is not a Brown come April? That Jersey you get from China is gonna look funny. :excited:

By the time RG3 is a good NFL QB he'll be a free agent and looking to get out of Cleveland. I don't think the Browns will ever have an elite QB and should stop trying to find one.

By the time RG3 is a good NFL QB he'll be a free agent and looking to get out of Cleveland. I don't think the Browns will ever have an elite QB and should stop trying to find one.
Or we get a repeat of Cam newton in season 1. Who knows. It could go either way. Why not take that risk when what we have now simply CANNOT get the job done.Yes, I love Griffin, no kidding. But I'm a Browns fan, first and foremost. And as a browns fan, I still think the most important piece to the puzzle is getting an elite, or potentially elite QB. If we pass on Griffin, who are we going to look at as elite QB in next years draft? Barkley, to me, is nowhere near the pedigree of Luck and griffin... nor do I see a QB of their pedigree for a good couple years

Are you kidding?! Losing is the BEST! :excited:

Bottom line for me...Heckert has proven he knows how to draft. I'm on board with whoever he chooses come April 26-28.

I don't care if it's Griffin, Flynn, Kolb, or Brandon Weeden.

I love Colt, bless his heart. It's the noodle arm that I can't stand. I wish we could have Derek Anderson's arm on Colt's body.

Bottom line for me...Heckert has proven he knows how to draft. I'm on board with whoever he chooses come April 26-28.
:thumbup:
Very true. last two drafts have been solid....In Heckert we trust.
The only thing I don't like is intentionally creating holes and then having to fill them.West Coast Offense or not, there was no reason to let Vickers walk and draft Owen Marecic. I'd have much rather signed Vickers and used the 4th on trenches depth.

I don't care if it's Griffin, Flynn, Kolb, or Brandon Weeden.

I love Colt, bless his heart. It's the noodle arm that I can't stand. I wish we could have Derek Anderson's arm on Colt's body.
This sounds exactly like a majority of Chargers fans in 2003.

Heckert sure gets a lot of love, and while I think he's doing a good job, I don't get why so many are enthralled with him. In the end in the last two drafts he nailed his one top 20 pick and has mixed results thereafter. I think Taylor, Sheard, and Ward are all good players but there are warts on all of them. Little too. And Hardesty is a complete bust. All that and what do we have to show for any picks made after round 2? Don't get me wrong, he's an improvement over what we had but is that really saying much?

He needs some home runs this year and to stop hitting doubles.

Heckert sure gets a lot of love, and while I think he's doing a good job, I don't get why so many are enthralled with him. In the end in the last two drafts he nailed his one top 20 pick and has mixed results thereafter. I think Taylor, Sheard, and Ward are all good players but there are warts on all of them. Little too. And Hardesty is a complete bust. All that and what do we have to show for any picks made after round 2? Don't get me wrong, he's an improvement over what we had but is that really saying much?He needs some home runs this year and to stop hitting doubles.
Unfair to criticize Heckert over Hardesty because he got injured. Every GM is terrible by that standard. They all draft players high that suffer major injury.

This makes me almost as upset as watching Shurmur work his magic last season.Title should be, "Are You ####### Kidding Me?"....

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns want the city to give the team seven years of football stadium repair money -- $5.8 million -- right now. The team contends the work is necessary to maintain a 12-year-old stadium battered by a sometimes harsh northern climate, and it has asked for an exception to a 30-year lease that calls for the city to set aside $850,000 a year for major repairs. Under the complicated proposal, the Browns would get this year's $850,000 plus $5 million from the next six years of repair money drawn from the tax revenue collected countywide on alcohol and tobacco sales and administered by the city. In exchange, the city would not have to make its annual contributions from the tax money to a stadium repair fund for the next six years. But what happens if additional needs arise during that time? Ken Silliman, Mayor Frank Jackson's chief of staff, said the city will consider dipping further into the so-called sin tax money. Browns general counsel Fred Nance was guarded about what the team would be willing to do. "If that situation were to happen, the city and the Browns would sit down and work out something that, first and foremost, ensures the integrity of the building and its systems," he said. The Browns' request requires approval from the City Council. Councilman Michael Polensek, a frequent critic of public subsidies for professional sports teams, said he hopes the team will shoulder all of the burden if it needs more money. "I don't think they understand how this plays with the citizens," he said. Cuyahoga County voters agreed in 1995 to dedicate the sin tax to help build the stadium, which ended up costing more than $290 million, and eventually to cover $29 million in repairs. The sin tax, which expires in 2015, currently raises $13 million a year. Starting this spring, the city must begin putting the sin tax money aside for stadium repairs. Silliman said officials know they have to figure out how to pay for repairs after the tax expires. He said he has heard no discussion of renewing the tax again. The money the Browns would get for repairs this year would include an estimated $1.2 million for refurbishing club seats on the north and south sides of the stadium and at the east end zone. Another $750,000 will pay to waterproof the concrete under those seats. Most of the rest of the $5.8 million would go for replacement and repair of concrete on interior ramps and walkways and a plaza outside the stadium.

'MAC_32 said:
Heckert sure gets a lot of love, and while I think he's doing a good job, I don't get why so many are enthralled with him. In the end in the last two drafts he nailed his one top 20 pick and has mixed results thereafter. I think Taylor, Sheard, and Ward are all good players but there are warts on all of them. Little too. And Hardesty is a complete bust. All that and what do we have to show for any picks made after round 2? Don't get me wrong, he's an improvement over what we had but is that really saying much?

He needs some home runs this year and to stop hitting doubles.
You're talking about rookies and 2nd year players that are still being developed. They also missed one entire off season of work. Of course they're going to have "warts." Look at it this way...In 2009 the Browns D ranked 31st overall (29th pass, 28th rush) and ranked 21st in points allowed.

January 2010 Heckert was hired.

In 2010 the Browns D ranked 22nd overall (18th pass, 27th rush) and ranked 13th in points allowed.

In 2011 the Browns D ranked 10th overall (2nd pass, 30th rush) and ranked 5th in points allowed.

From a defensive perspective, I don't know how anyone can have a problem with that progress.

'Bobcat10 said:
This makes me almost as upset as watching Shurmur work his magic last season.Title should be, "Are You ####### Kidding Me?"....

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns want the city to give the team seven years of football stadium repair money -- $5.8 million -- right now. The team contends the work is necessary to maintain a 12-year-old stadium battered by a sometimes harsh northern climate, and it has asked for an exception to a 30-year lease that calls for the city to set aside $850,000 a year for major repairs. Under the complicated proposal, the Browns would get this year's $850,000 plus $5 million from the next six years of repair money drawn from the tax revenue collected countywide on alcohol and tobacco sales and administered by the city. In exchange, the city would not have to make its annual contributions from the tax money to a stadium repair fund for the next six years. But what happens if additional needs arise during that time? Ken Silliman, Mayor Frank Jackson's chief of staff, said the city will consider dipping further into the so-called sin tax money. Browns general counsel Fred Nance was guarded about what the team would be willing to do. "If that situation were to happen, the city and the Browns would sit down and work out something that, first and foremost, ensures the integrity of the building and its systems," he said. The Browns' request requires approval from the City Council. Councilman Michael Polensek, a frequent critic of public subsidies for professional sports teams, said he hopes the team will shoulder all of the burden if it needs more money. "I don't think they understand how this plays with the citizens," he said. Cuyahoga County voters agreed in 1995 to dedicate the sin tax to help build the stadium, which ended up costing more than $290 million, and eventually to cover $29 million in repairs. The sin tax, which expires in 2015, currently raises $13 million a year. Starting this spring, the city must begin putting the sin tax money aside for stadium repairs. Silliman said officials know they have to figure out how to pay for repairs after the tax expires. He said he has heard no discussion of renewing the tax again. The money the Browns would get for repairs this year would include an estimated $1.2 million for refurbishing club seats on the north and south sides of the stadium and at the east end zone. Another $750,000 will pay to waterproof the concrete under those seats. Most of the rest of the $5.8 million would go for replacement and repair of concrete on interior ramps and walkways and a plaza outside the stadium.
I really hope the city gives them a big giant F U! You know how many millions this team is still paying ex-coaches and ex-GMs? So ridiculous.

'Bobcat10 said:

We were furious the last time the Browns left. This time, maybe not so much. Let the Browns go to LA and let the Rams come back here. That way we get our franchise QB and a competent coach.

We were furious the last time the Browns left. This time, maybe not so much. Let the Browns go to LA and let the Rams come back here. That way we get our franchise QB and a competent coach.
Yeah let's voluntarily swap our team with one of the three other teams that is worse than us! :loco:

'MAC_32 said:
Heckert sure gets a lot of love, and while I think he's doing a good job, I don't get why so many are enthralled with him. In the end in the last two drafts he nailed his one top 20 pick and has mixed results thereafter. I think Taylor, Sheard, and Ward are all good players but there are warts on all of them. Little too. And Hardesty is a complete bust. All that and what do we have to show for any picks made after round 2? Don't get me wrong, he's an improvement over what we had but is that really saying much?He needs some home runs this year and to stop hitting doubles.
What exactly are your expectations here? For example, in the last 2 years what GMs have drafted better than Heckert? What kind of drafts would you consider adequate?

Yeah let's voluntarily swap our team with one of the three other teams that is worse than us! :loco:
I don't think I need to tell you that that comment was completely made in jest. Lighten up, Francis. :)

:thumbup:
Very true. last two drafts have been solid....In Heckert we trust.
The only thing I don't like is intentionally creating holes and then having to fill them.West Coast Offense or not, there was no reason to let Vickers walk and draft Owen Marecic. I'd have much rather signed Vickers and used the 4th on trenches depth.
EXACTLY! I hope they don't do the same thing with Hillis.

Are the Browns interested in TE John Carlson? He's a free agent and Holmgren drafted him, but he's coming off a missed season due to a torn labrum.

Are the Browns interested in TE John Carlson? He's a free agent and Holmgren drafted him, but he's coming off a missed season due to a torn labrum.
From everything I've read, I think that they are hoping that Jordan Cameron is ready to make enough strides to see significant playing time. He certainly looks the part.

Anybody hear that Tony Grossi got re-assigned from the Browns beat due to twitter comments regarding Lerner? Reading about it on twitter, apparently tweeted "He is a pathetic figure, the most irrelevant billionaire in the world."http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2012/01/25/sources-tony-grossi-pulled-from-browns-beat-over-randy-lerner-tweet
That is the BEST news I've heard all year! Grossi is a bum. If only Brian Windhorst covered the NFL and was still at the PD...

Anybody hear that Tony Grossi got re-assigned from the Browns beat due to twitter comments regarding Lerner? Reading about it on twitter, apparently tweeted "He is a pathetic figure, the most irrelevant billionaire in the world."http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2012/01/25/sources-tony-grossi-pulled-from-browns-beat-over-randy-lerner-tweet
That is the BEST news I've heard all year! Grossi is a bum. If only Brian Windhorst covered the NFL and was still at the PD...
:greatposting: Grossi is a tool. Windhorst is outstanding.

Grossi's an arrogant doosh. Won't miss him at all.

Oh man, I just listened to Hooley and Brinda on WKNR whine and ##### and moan about this move... that alone makes it worth it.

The best part was when they were like, "Who knows who Grossi was talking about?! He never said Randy's name!". So Grossi gets the (bizarre) benefit of the doubt. Then, they talk about how Randy is clearly behind this. Obviously he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for their fun little conspiracy theory.

:lol:

He might be all those things, but he got a raw deal here. Wonder who will replace him? Lord knows it won't just be Cabot.Still, those are some pretty strong words from somebody who is dialed into Berea more than most.

Oh man, I just listened to Hooley and Brinda on WKNR whine and ##### and moan about this move... that alone makes it worth it.The best part was when they were like, "Who knows who Grossi was talking about?! He never said Randy's name!". So Grossi gets the (bizarre) benefit of the doubt. Then, they talk about how Randy is clearly behind this. Obviously he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for their fun little conspiracy theory. :lol:
nice. I really miss the local sports radio from up there. It's a pretty sad state of affairs for sports radio here.

Oh man, I just listened to Hooley and Brinda on WKNR whine and ##### and moan about this move... that alone makes it worth it.The best part was when they were like, "Who knows who Grossi was talking about?! He never said Randy's name!". So Grossi gets the (bizarre) benefit of the doubt. Then, they talk about how Randy is clearly behind this. Obviously he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for their fun little conspiracy theory. :lol:
nice. I really miss the local sports radio from up there. It's a pretty sad state of affairs for sports radio here.
iphone or droid gets you all of it back.

Just type in WKNR and you can listen on the internet.

He might be all those things, but he got a raw deal here.
agree...but his arrogance finally caught up to him

There's too much politics in the world of sports talk. They play favorites and have opinions, but if you criticize them for their views, they play the "I'm just a journalist, you can't criticize me" card. As a result, they stay on one beat for seemingly decades. They ought to be held accountable, and not pretend to be some neutral third party.

The best way to rile up any of these guys in Cleveland sports talk is to remind them they helped drive Bill Belichick out of town because they personally didn't like him. They worked overtime to turn the fans against him. That's the kind of politics that is very dismaying.

I'm in SC and that's what I do. Between that and the TuneIn app listen to WKNR or The Fan in Columbus all day long :thumbup: Thank you Al Gore

'beer 30 said:
'Fensalk said:
'eric rymer said:
'nxmehta said:
I'm in SC and that's what I do. Between that and the TuneIn app listen to WKNR or The Fan in Columbus all day long :thumbup: Thank you Al Gore
Good deal. Thanks guys. We pretty much just get the syndicated stuff here. Mike&Mike and Cowlherd. 12-3 is great with the David Glenn show but those Donks that come on at 3 are just awful. Thank God Cam Newton is here so we actually get to listen a little talk of football. Otherwise its just UNC/Duke basketball. :thumbup:

If the Plain Dealer pulled Grossi from the Browns beat, it serves him well as he's turned into too much of a hothead with too much power. I read a story of how he gave Mangini such crap at his first press conference when Mangini came in peace. Although I love his all out fight against Modell for the HOF, lately he's been a detriment to Browns football and the fans that want good info.

By the way, although there isn't stories from Grossi there, he's still listed on the side of cleveland.com/browns.

EDIT 4:30PM: Grossi has been removed from that page. Mary Kay is the only one listed.

Unfair to criticize Heckert over Hardesty because he got injured. Every GM is terrible by that standard. They all draft players high that suffer major injury.
Given Hardesty's checkered history coming into the league, no, it's not unfair to criticize him for that pick.

Users who are viewing this thread