What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Listen to Pettine's interview today.
I heard it. He sounded like he was joking around, and god I hope he was.

Cause like I said if they seriously did do that, then wow, dumbest thing ever.

"Hey guys, lets take dozens and dozens of man hours of our time to try and groom this guy as a WR so that the Jets can spend 47 seconds gameplanning for him, then cut him"

And since Pryor cleared waivers, imagine the total mind #### we could put on them right now if we just picked him back up again.

Oh boy oh boy. Petine and crew are pulling the Jets strings like Gepetto

:lol:Can't even make up that Justin Gilbert story that just broke
As each day goes by it gets harder and harder to support this organization. It really is nothing but a clown show with no hope to ever get better,
OK, so what's the story?
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-medina/browns-cornerback-justin-gilbert-invovled-in-road-rage-crash
Oh, I thought it would be something that was actually interesting.

As each day goes by it gets harder and harder to support this organization. It really is nothing but a clown show with no hope to ever get better,
OK, so what's the story?
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-medina/browns-cornerback-justin-gilbert-invovled-in-road-rage-crash
Crashing your car in a road rage fit, that you started by throwing tobacco juice on another car isn't interesting?

OK, so what's the story?
Crashing your car in a road rage fit, that you started by throwing tobacco juice on another car isn't interesting?
No, it's TMZ worthy nonsense.

Of course it is a non issue.

It would actually be more of a story if he was a squeaky clean saint.

It woulda got a better reaction if you posted it immediately though.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need to know about this incedent.

"Police issued Gilbert a citation for lack of responsible control.

The driver of a Mustang was also issued a ticket for disorderly conduct.

Police told newsnet5.com both citations can be waived and neither have to appear in court."

Yeah, this is about as meaningless as misbehavior in the NFL gets. The build up was a total fail.

IMO, the fact that they are dumping guys like West means that they have learned the lesson they needed to learn year 1 -- character and maturity count. If they knew respected that concept from the beginning, the drafts would have been totally different.

I have a feeling this may be addressed somewhere in this thread, but I do wonder what the hardcore Browns fans here think of someone like RGIII somehow winding up in Cleveland.

It may be a longshot, but with the rumors swirling of RGIII being 3rd on the depth chart, and possibly outright cut soon, I guessed at a few of the places that he may actually wind up.

Jokes aside, I can see RGIII actually being brought in to Cleveland.

Think about it, they are used to a media firestorm, and their QB scenario has been pretty bad to be honest.

I personally think RGIII is better than a bunch of the "secondary" talent in the NFL, and the Skins organization has damned near ruined his chance at ever being a successful NFL QB.

(cue the jokes about anyone being successful in Cleveland :D )

I don't really love any team in particular, barring my fantasy teams so I don't hitch myself to one organization.

But I do tend to like underdogs....and Cleveland is the one city that seems to have been just #### all over for many years.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I would like to see Cleveland win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I don't know that RGIII is the future for any one team anymore, but I think he might be a better option than a few of the guys in some of the current scenarios.

Cleveland may actually be one.

What say you , hardcore Cleveland fans???

TZM

Rk Year Rnd Pick Pos DrAge From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS QBrec Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ 6 2014 1 8 Justin Gilbert DB 22 2014 2015 0 0 0 2 14 2 1 Oklahoma St. College Stats7 2014 1 22 Johnny Manziel QB 21 2014 2015 0 0 0 1 5 2 0-2-0 18 35 175 0 2 9 29 1 Texas A&M College Stats8 2014 2 35 Joel Bitonio G 22 2014 2015 0 0 1 6 16 16 Nevada College Stats9 2014 3 71 Christian Kirksey LB 22 2014 2015 0 0 1 5 16 8 2.0 Iowa College Stats10 2014 3 94 Terrance West RB 23 2014 2015 0 0 0 4 14 6 171 673 4 11 64 1 Towson 11 2013 1 6 Barkevious Mingo LB 22 2013 2015 0 0 1 9 30 14 7.0 LSU College Stats12 2013 3 68 Leon McFadden DB 22 2013 2015 0 0 0 1 23 2 San Diego St. College Stats13 2012 1 3 Trent Richardson RB 22 2012 2015 0 0 3 10 30 27 426 1469 14 78 596 1 Alabama College Stats14 2012 1 22 Brandon Weeden QB 28 2012 2015 0 0 1 12 28 21 5-16-0 462 825 5419 26 28 45 154 0 0 -9 0 Oklahoma St. College Stats15 2012 2 37 Mitchell Schwartz T 23 2012 2015 0 0 3 17 48 48 California 16 2012 3 87 John Hughes DT 24 2012 2015 0 0 0 7 36 7 4.0 Cincinnati College StatsJust when I thought they were turning the team around they do this. SMH.

Regarding the drafts, I wish they had devoted more time to interviewing the picks (at least in Gilbert's case), but they DID address the team's deficiencies. They had a hole opposite Haden and tried to fill it with the guy most widely regarded as the top CB. They had a hole at QB & tried to fill it with the college football wunderkind. They had a hole (GB Phil Taylor) at run-stuffer & got one. They lacked depth at OL & added one (anticipating Mack's departure).

Does anyone think adding a WR instead, ignoring these serious problems, would have been the best way to build this team?

I have a feeling this may be addressed somewhere in this thread, but I do wonder what the hardcore Browns fans here think of someone like RGIII somehow winding up in Cleveland.

It may be a longshot, but with the rumors swirling of RGIII being 3rd on the depth chart, and possibly outright cut soon, I guessed at a few of the places that he may actually wind up.

Jokes aside, I can see RGIII actually being brought in to Cleveland.

Think about it, they are used to a media firestorm, and their QB scenario has been pretty bad to be honest.

I personally think RGIII is better than a bunch of the "secondary" talent in the NFL, and the Skins organization has damned near ruined his chance at ever being a successful NFL QB.

(cue the jokes about anyone being successful in Cleveland :D )

I don't really love any team in particular, barring my fantasy teams so I don't hitch myself to one organization.

But I do tend to like underdogs....and Cleveland is the one city that seems to have been just #### all over for many years.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I would like to see Cleveland win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I don't know that RGIII is the future for any one team anymore, but I think he might be a better option than a few of the guys in some of the current scenarios.

Cleveland may actually be one.

What say you , hardcore Cleveland fans???

TZM
RG III's contract has him making over $16 million next year. The Skins have him as a low-risk backup this year. I'm sure they'd love to dump that contract but no one will touch it.

---------------------

... As Darlington explains it, the team realizes the risk of letting Griffin onto the field. If he suffers an injury that carries into 2016, the team will owe him $16.1 million next year under a fifth-year option that is guaranteed for injury only.

It doesn’t mean Griffin won’t play this year. It means only that, for now, they won’t put him in position to be the first man in, if the starter gets injured or deserves to be yanked.

At a deeper level, it means they definitely won’t be keeping him in 2016 at a salary of $16.1 million. So why not cut him and move on?

The answer is likely this: They’ll be paying him $3.249 million this year, whether he’s on the team or not. Which means that someone has decided that they’d rather pay him $3.249 million to remain in bubble wrap on the end of the bench than to exit the roster entirely.

​----------------------

Per Browns interest? This article gives a good insight into the team philosophy on how much value they place on the QB position.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

...the new wave of quarterbacks will need more time than previous generations, but some fret that today’s roster limits and time constraints may prevent them from getting the time they need to learn or develop. “It might become like major league baseball now, where you take a guy that you think will be able to play in three, four, five years,” said Pettine.

...Cleveland’s Farmer has one idea: What if you could design an offense to minimize the passing deficiencies of modern quarterback prospects? Farmer used the example of Auburn’s Nick Marshall, who threw 20 touchdowns last season but was projected to transition to defensive back in the NFL. What if, Farmer said, you devoted resources to designing an offense where Marshall could thrive? He would cost you almost nothing—Marshall went undrafted—and “you might get your franchise quarterback in the later rounds, and that’s unheard of these days.”

“Whoever cracks this code the soonest is going to have a huge, huge advantage,” Farmer said, adding he and his coach, Pettine, have had broad discussions on the topic.
RG III's contract is a non-starter but if he gets cut its possible next year they could take him on as a rehabilitation project.

So, is Duke playing?

That should be a pinned thread but it's not up.
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20150912/SPORTS/150919756/10552/SPORTS?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

... its anyone's guess how the Browns will divvy up playing time between Isaiah Crowell's and rookie Duke Johnson's playing time, or what tricks new coordinator John DeFilippo might unleash.
He was cleared earlier in the week and went from limited to full practice so it looks like he's playing but see above. No idea how much or what role he'll play.

#Browns make CB Justin Gilbert inactive today, a few days after a highway altercation that resulted in a crash.

Ya... Wasnt a big deal. You guys were right

#Browns make CB Justin Gilbert inactive today, a few days after a highway altercation that resulted in a crash.

None of us can say if the incident was a "big deal" to the Browns. I'd be surprised if it wasn't any factor at all, but I'd also be surprised if it was more of a factor than being injured or being 5th on the depth chart.

wouldn't surprise me if he was going to be inactive before going #######. Worst db on the roster.

Wa to get the point. The point was never that Clev wouldn't do something about it. The point was that it wasnt some crazy unbelievable story like you built it up to be.

The pick/strip was huge.

Pass defense suffering due to no pressure.

Johnny has looked good, imo.

Penalties!

Well, looks like we've accomplished a lot of team goals today:

• Dominant running game
  • Careful QB play - keep turnovers down, safe runs
  • Stingy run defense
  • Shutdown cornerback play
Looks just like the team that the Browns said they would be! Gonna be a great season guys.

I hope Farmer is having fun watching at home. He should probably stay there after week four.

Just as a reminder, for these three players:

Justin Gilbert

Johnny Manziel

Terrance West

We used the sum total of picks from these rounds:

1st

1st

3rd

4th

5th

6th

So... basically an ENTIRE DRAFT worth of picks on three pieces of hot garbage.

Everybody must go. Farmer, Pettine, Haslam, Chomps... everybody.
same #### every year.where's the dominant defense and elite offense line i keep hearing about?
VERY disappointed with the offensive line today. All phases.
WHat do you expect? We have the worst QBs, WRs, TEs, and RBs in the entire NFL, not to mention our O-line coach is on hiatus for hitting women.

I mean, I am surprised every time they gain a yard

This team has such great potential to go 0-16

I am not joking one tiny bit by the way. Our offense is amazingly bad. Rivals worst offense in NFL history. FInd me a worse offense week 1 from any team ever.

But if you really think a team with Kosar, SLaughter, Brennan, Langhorna, and Metcalf was worse, well, I guess we just disagree

Everybody must go. Farmer, Pettine, Haslam, Chomps... everybody.
"Damn shame what they did to that dog..."

I got about 10 minutes into the post game and exited. It's the same #### we've seen for 15 years. Love my Browns but I can't invest extra time in this group, it's atrocious, just terrible. And I think they actually looked better than last years hot mess.

I am not joking one tiny bit by the way. Our offense is amazingly bad. Rivals worst offense in NFL history. FInd me a worse offense week 1 from any team ever.
Here you go

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198909100pit.htm
Worse offense, not a worse game
Steelers had 120 yards from scrimmage, gave up 3 defensive touchdowns, had 3 interceptions, 6 fumbles, losing 5 of them.

Browns today had over 330 yards, one interception, lost 4 fumbles and scored 10 points. Way better than the 1989 Steelers opening game

Users who are viewing this thread