Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

What about bringing in Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell as a veteran, or are they going to keep Seneca Wallace around?I'm fine giving Colt McCoy a shot, but only if we get some decent pieces around him. Any chance we look at Nicks or Grubbs at guard or maybe Gaither or another tackle? I'd love to pick up a couple of pieces during free agency so we don't have to try to fill so many positions in the draft.

Colt needs a mentor a la Delhomme his rookie year, I don't think Campbell or Orton qualify as they'll want the job just like Seneca did and won't help McCoy grow. I'm fine with bringing in a vet, but not one that will be realistically competing for the job.

What about bringing in Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell as a veteran, or are they going to keep Seneca Wallace around?I'm fine giving Colt McCoy a shot, but only if we get some decent pieces around him. Any chance we look at Nicks or Grubbs at guard or maybe Gaither or another tackle? I'd love to pick up a couple of pieces during free agency so we don't have to try to fill so many positions in the draft.

Colt needs a mentor a la Delhomme his rookie year, I don't think Campbell or Orton qualify as they'll want the job just like Seneca did and won't help McCoy grow. I'm fine with bringing in a vet, but not one that will be realistically competing for the job.
What about Hasselbeck if Manning lands with the Titans?

That's an interesting thought. Hell, I'd be happy with Hasselbeck starting.

Me too.

I have a weird feeling that no matter what Arizona does with Manning, they are not going to pay Kevin Kolb the $7 million roster bonus due later this week. Kolb's value is at an all time low, and when he is released, Heckert will scoop him up due to his practice and 7 game success in the same system with the Iggles. At at bargain.

And shoot me now, I'd be okay with this...

:bag:

The WCO produces system QBs. Certainly, some who have played in it would have been great no matter, but it can also make an average QB good if his skills fit the system. Kolb was always going to fail in Arizona because he needs the system. Flynn will fail in Miami for the same reason. Either one has a chance of succeeding in Cleveland, like Hasselbeck did in Seattle, because of the WCO we are trying to run.

The WCO produces system QBs. Certainly, some who have played in it would have been great no matter, but it can also make an average QB good if his skills fit the system. Kolb was always going to fail in Arizona because he needs the system. Flynn will fail in Miami for the same reason. Either one has a chance of succeeding in Cleveland, like Hasselbeck did in Seattle, because of the WCO we are trying to run.

Joe Philbin, Green Bay's offensive coordinator, is Miami's head coach. Did you forget that, or is Philbin going to run another system? I would look at their behavior going after Flynn (if they do not get Peyton) as a gauge of how good Flynn is. If one of the coaches that know him best is lukewarm about Flynn in free agency, it's probably best to stay away.I feel the same way about Kolb and him being destined to fail in Arizona. That said, Andy Reid was ready to hand him the keys to the offense in Philly. He can't be all that bad. If he's a system QB, let it be, as long as it's our system. That said, I kind am up for anything except Tannehill (unless it's at a mid first rounder or lower). Not in love with Kolb, but wouldn't hate it.I'm even warming up to Richardson at 4 so Colt has a play action threat.

Joe Philbin, Green Bay's offensive coordinator, is Miami's head coach. Did you forget that, or is Philbin going to run another system? I would look at their behavior going after Flynn (if they do not get Peyton) as a gauge of how good Flynn is. If one of the coaches that know him best is lukewarm about Flynn in free agency, it's probably best to stay away.I feel the same way about Kolb and him being destined to fail in Arizona. That said, Andy Reid was ready to hand him the keys to the offense in Philly. He can't be all that bad. If he's a system QB, let it be, as long as it's our system. That said, I kind am up for anything except Tannehill (unless it's at a mid first rounder or lower). Not in love with Kolb, but wouldn't hate it.I'm even warming up to Richardson at 4 so Colt has a play action threat.
I did forget about Philbin. I was thinking of the offense Miami has been running over the last couple of years. Losing that hour of sleep must be slowing my brain function.I think I've talked myself into hoping that Manning signs with Tennessee and Hasselbeck comes to Cleveland.

I love Colston but have to agree with this.

Marques Colston - WR - Saints

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns "certainly" will not pursue free agent Marques Colston.

Browns brass has been clear that it won't spend big money in free agency, and that's what it's going to take to acquire Colston, arguably the No. 2 receiver on the free agent market behind Vincent Jackson. Colston wouldn't help the Browns much, anyway. They need a wideout with legitimate separation skills.

Wishes do come true. Pashos released

Cleveland Browns RT Tony Pashos upset after being told the Browns are releasing him, played last year on ruptured tendon

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer Published: Monday, March 12, 2012, 4:05 PM Updated: Monday, March 12, 2012, 6:59 PM

CLEVELAND -- Browns starting right tackle Tony Pashos is "really upset'' about being released by the Browns after he played all last season on a ruptured tendon in his left foot that required surgery, his agent Rick Smith told the Plain Dealer today.

The Browns will release Pashos, who underwent the surgery last Tuesday, on the basis that he failed his physical, Smith said. The move is expected to by made by Tuesday, when free agency begins.

Pashos, who was set to make $3.35 million in 2012, will receive $1 million for injury protection per the collective bargaining agreement.

"Tony feels like he had the team's back last season,'' said Smith. "He wishes the team had his back now.''

The Browns declined to comment through team spokesman Neal Gulkis.

Smith explained that Pashos, 31, completely ruptured the peroneus longus tendon in his left foot during the final preseason game, but that the peroneus brevis tendon remained intact.

Because the one tendon was intact, Pashos was told he could either have the surgery right away, or "basically gut through it'' and repair it after the season, Smith said. He was told the rehab would take about 9-10 months.

"Because the team lacked depth on the offensive line, especially at right tackle, Tony wanted to help the team,'' said Smith. "He knew what he was doing.''

Pashos sat out the first three regular season games, and then returned on the injured tendon.

"But in order to be able to do that, he had to be given an enormous amount of pain pills and shots,'' said Smith. "It was an enormous amount, to the point where at Christmas, he went into the hospital with three ulcers from the pain medication. You can see that he missed the final regular season game, because he was in the hospital with the ulcers.''

Smith stressed that Browns head trainer Joe Sheehan had Pashos' back throughout the season.

"Joe told Tony 'at any point, if you want to shut this down, I'll go upstairs and shut this down for you,''' said Smith. "Joe was real good to Tony. But Tony wanted to continue to try to help the team.''

Smith said Pashos had to wait until last Tuesday to have the surgery because of the ulcers.

"While Tony was in the hospital, I got the call from the Browns giving me the heads up that they were releasing him,'' said Smith. "When Tony called the Browns, they told him he was a warrior.

"But he's not a warrior. He's somebody's son, somebody's husband, somebody's father. He's a guy trying to support his family.''

Smith said Pashos, who's heading into his 10th season, will be out for eight or nine months, which means he'll miss most or all of next season.

"He's going to do whatever it takes (to play again), but the last film on him is him playing half speed,'' said Smith.

He said Pashos never used the foot as an excuse last season, even though he occasionally took some heat for his performance. "He didn't hide behind the injury,'' said Smith. "You never heard a word out of him all year.''

He said the Browns could've placed Pashos on the physically unable to perform list and let him rehab with the Browns, or they could've reduced his salary. As it is, the Browns will save about $2 million on the salary cap, which will put them about $19.4 million under the cap heading into free agency.

"Tony really bought into what the Browns were selling,'' said Smith. "Now he's off on his own.''

Pashos signed with the Browns as a free agent in 2010, earning $4 million in salary and bonuses his first year and $2.2 million in 2011. He played in only six games in 2010 because of an ankle injury that landed him on injured reserve.

CLEVELAND -- Browns starting right tackle Tony Pashos is "really upset'' about being released by the Browns

Well I'm "really upset" that he chose to be an unreliable turnstile instead of going on the IR so we can get a healthy body in there.

:goodposting:

CLEVELAND -- Browns starting right tackle Tony Pashos is "really upset'' about being released by the Browns

Well I'm "really upset" that he chose to be an unreliable turnstile instead of going on the IR so we can get a healthy body in there.
:goodposting:

Man would I be pissed for getting $1 million to be fired!

I love Colston but have to agree with this. Marques Colston - WR - SaintsAccording to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns "certainly" will not pursue free agent Marques Colston.Browns brass has been clear that it won't spend big money in free agency, and that's what it's going to take to acquire Colston, arguably the No. 2 receiver on the free agent market behind Vincent Jackson. Colston wouldn't help the Browns much, anyway. They need a wideout with legitimate separation skills.

Totally behind not spending on a free agent WR. We do have some issues on the lines that need addressed in free agency though, hope those aren't ignored.

Hey if Manning signs with Denver, any chance you think the Browns make an offer for Tebow?

I would burn everything I own that says Browns on it if they made a move to get Tebow.

FWIW........

-Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks reports that Cleveland is Matt Flynn’s 3rd option in free agency behind Miami and Seattle.

FWIW........-Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks reports that Cleveland is Matt Flynn’s 3rd option in free agency behind Miami and Seattle.

Good, he's my 4124th option behind guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Jason Campbell, and my 3 year old niece.

THIS JUST IN:

Heckert holed out for par on 13 at Avalon Lakes.

Holmgren 3 putted for bogey.

Shurmur missed his tee time due to poor clock management.

:yawn:

Agreed. I didn't want to see us go out and throw money away but it would have been nice to see us try and do something. On a side note it looks like Hillis is headed to KC for a visit.

:yawn:

What did you expect? These guys never do anything until wave 2 of free agency.

From eric rymer's link:

-The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Browns are interested in defensive end Jeremy Mincey. He is 28 years old and had 8 sacks in 16 starts last season.

:thumbup: Could be a nice bookend with Sheard.

From eric rymer's link:

-The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Browns are interested in defensive end Jeremy Mincey. He is 28 years old and had 8 sacks in 16 starts last season.

:goodposting: Think I specifically mentioned him last month, he took a big step up last year. Would compliment Sheard very well, hopefully eliminate any Coples rumors, and he's better than any pass rusher available after Mercilus goes.

FWIW........

-Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks reports that Cleveland is Matt Flynn’s 3rd option in free agency behind Miami and Seattle.

From the Newlywed Game?

Am I the only one that thinks that Michael Lombardi on NFL Network acts like a woman scorned when it comes to any and all things Browns?

He thinks we're gonna go Tannehill at 4. :yucky:

this has been pretty interesting - Browns Bloghttp://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=675I can barely keep up with my twitter account with all the junk from some of these beat reporters from around the league.

Wait...so Dawson, or any player, could decline the franchise tag?

That's Eubanks

Yeah, I know. And it's Bob. But as far as I know probably just as likely to be accurate

this has been pretty interesting - Browns Blog

http://espncleveland...=49&post_id=675

I can barely keep up with my twitter account with all the junk from some of these beat reporters from around the league.

Wait...so Dawson, or any player, could decline the franchise tag?
They can not sign their tender and hold out.
OK, ya. I just thought that wording was weird.

Can't imagine a kicker holding out.

Anyways, sorta had a hope for Campbell today for some reason....I don't think we get Flynn over Miami....wish I knew what their plan is but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

THIS JUST IN:Heckert holed out for par on 13 at Avalon Lakes. Holmgren 3 putted for bogey. Shurmur missed his tee time due to poor clock management.

classic.

From eric rymer's link:

:goodposting: Think I specifically mentioned him last month, he took a big step up last year. Would compliment Sheard very well, hopefully eliminate any Coples rumors, and he's better than any pass rusher available after Mercilus goes.
Looks like he resigned with the Jags:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/jaguars-keep-jeremy-mincey-in-fold-with-four-year-pact/

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times Union reports that the Jaguars have re-signed defensive end Jeremy Mincey.Per Scout.com, the deal is for four years.Mincey drew interest on Tuesday from the Chicago Bears, and the Cleveland Browns at one point were said to be making a run at him. Instead, Mincey stayed in Jacksonville, where he broke out in 2011 as the Jags’ featured pass rusher.The Jaguars need another rusher, though, and they may still use their first-round pick on a bookend for Mincey. In mock drafts, the Jags are commonly linked to North Carolina’s Quinton Coples and South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram.

the Browns watching the league pass them by.

when will this change? :banned:

well... at least our pass DEF is going to be world class after we draft Claiborne.

Edited by rizzler

Am I the only one that thinks that Michael Lombardi on NFL Network acts like a woman scorned when it comes to any and all things Browns?He thinks we're gonna go Tannehill at 4. :yucky:

Actually I hear the Browns want to trade with the Rams, move down to 6. The Rams move up to 4 and grab Blackmon. The Browns pick up a draft pick and select Tannehill, or they sign Flynn and draft Richardson.

Am I the only one that thinks that Michael Lombardi on NFL Network acts like a woman scorned when it comes to any and all things Browns?He thinks we're gonna go Tannehill at 4. :yucky:

Actually I hear the Browns want to trade with the Rams, move down to 6. The Rams move up to 4 and grab Blackmon. The Browns pick up a draft pick and select Tannehill, or they sign Flynn and draft Richardson.
Link?

There is discussion in the Scout (formerly theOBR) forums that says that the Browns have interest in trading for Ben Tate, signing Matt Flynn, and then using the #4 for Blackmon.

Don't know how true that is but I like Tate. He was a second round pick and is pretty valuable now so I don't know- maybe two thirds would get it done?

I wouldn't hate that scenario. We need immediate attention at RT and guard though (if Steinbach is cut or not healthy).

There is discussion in the Scout (formerly theOBR) forums that says that the Browns have interest in trading for Ben Tate, signing Matt Flynn, and then using the #4 for Blackmon. Don't know how true that is but I like Tate. He was a second round pick and is pretty valuable now so I don't know- maybe two thirds would get it done? I wouldn't hate that scenario. We need immediate attention at RT and guard though (if Steinbach is cut or not healthy).

It's not bad if we can sign Grubbs, Nicks or Gaither and then draft an OL at pick 22.

There is discussion in the Scout (formerly theOBR) forums that says that the Browns have interest in trading for Ben Tate, signing Matt Flynn, and then using the #4 for Blackmon. Don't know how true that is but I like Tate. He was a second round pick and is pretty valuable now so I don't know- maybe two thirds would get it done? I wouldn't hate that scenario. We need immediate attention at RT and guard though (if Steinbach is cut or not healthy).

Sign Flynn, trade Atlanta's 4 for Tate, draft Blackmon? I can get behind that. I think Martin's a better back, but if Tate is cheap (and vets usually cost less than their original pick - especially RB's) I can live with that. Outside of the Pashos black hole the o line played better as the year went on last year, so I'm less concerned about Steinbach. We have guys that can play if he has a setback. Need a RT though. Hope we go free agent there...

Sign Flynn, trade Atlanta's 4 for Tate, draft Blackmon? I can get behind that. I think Martin's a better back, but if Tate is cheap (and vets usually cost less than their original pick - especially RB's) I can live with that. Outside of the Pashos black hole the o line played better as the year went on last year, so I'm less concerned about Steinbach. We have guys that can play if he has a setback. Need a RT though. Hope we go free agent there...
I'd go nuts if we can pull that off and get either Winston or Gaither in here for RT. Why on earth would Houston cut Winston? His contract wasn't a burden, and he's a great team guy and a very good player.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The (alleged) offer the Browns made to the Rams was the 2012 #4, #22, and a 2013 1st rounder. Instead they took the Skins 2012 #6, 2013 1st rounder, 2014 1st rounder, and their 2nd rounder this year. If they trade up from 6 to 4, it will at the very least cost a 2nd rounder this year. If they really wanted to be at 4 then they would have come out ahead by trading with the Browns instead of the Redskins! Two 1sts this year is worth way more than 1sts down the road.So I don't think this move will happen.

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabotLeague source confirmed #browns are signing former #bengals DE frostee Rucker today. 4 sacks and 44 tackles in '11.

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabotLeague source confirmed #browns are signing former #bengals DE frostee Rucker today. 4 sacks and 44 tackles in '11.

DL depth. Good. Those kids were gassed by season's end.

Mary Kay Cabot

@MaryKayCabot

League source confirmed #browns are signing former #bengals DE frostee Rucker today. 4 sacks and 44 tackles in '11.

ESPN Link

ESPN and Yahoo are also reporting this.

We get a DE to help Sheard and weaken the Bengals DL at the same time.

Bengals also lost Fanene to the PATs according to the same article.

Heard an interview on WKNR not long ago with Russ Lande. He said the Browns should try and trade back to the 8-12 range and take Tannehill.

With Miami at 8 and Seattle at 12, whichever of these teams doesn't get Flynn will pounce on Tannehill. And the teams picking 9-11 don't traditionally move up (Carolina, Buffalo, and KC). All I know is we'll become laughingstock of league if we take him at 4, over guys like Richardson, Claiborne, and Blackmon.

Heard an interview on WKNR not long ago with Russ Lande. He said the Browns should try and trade back to the 8-12 range and take Tannehill.

With Miami at 8 and Seattle at 12, whichever of these teams doesn't get Flynn will pounce on Tannehill. And the teams picking 9-11 don't traditionally move up (Carolina, Buffalo, and KC). All I know is we'll become laughingstock of league if we take him at 4, over guys like Richardson, Claiborne, and Blackmon.
:goodposting:Taking him at 4 would be an awful over reach.