Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

The deal with the Bills makes me wonder if something larger is in the works. I believe Buffalo now has 2 1st's, 2 2nd's and 2 3rd round picks and is rumored to be interested in moving up for one of the young QB's in the draft. Just a thought but maybe this is a precursor to a trade on draft day for say the 4th overall pick? 

 

Possibly, but the bills could go to 2 or 3 too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were never making/keeping 12 2018 draft picks with how the roster sat yesterday and with Dorsey’s approach. 

We were either going to trade some for future draft capital (or to move up this year) or trade them for players. 

The more I think about it I’m fine with the moves. Trading lotto picks, although I will miss not having 3.01, for established and legit NFL players is a good thing. Nobody is mistaking Landry for Julio Jones. Nobody is mistaking Taylor for Tom Brady. But they aren’t a guy named Hollywood and a QB that needs a lot of work in Kizer. The people wanting FAs to come here should be ecstatic right now. To be respected you have to become respectable. We took steps forward today. 

And we still have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds with 4 of them being top 35! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a contending team that has super-limited cap space, paying Landry a ton of money might not be a great idea. He's not a game-breaking talent. The Browns on the other hand have had an enormous talent deficit on offense for years and are just working to hit the cap floor. A 4th and a 7th isn't bad at all for a good, proven young WR.

We all kinda know what Taylor is, and it's not great, but it's still quite an improvement over past Browns QBs. He won't lose you many games with dumb mistakes - Dorsey's new Alex Smith. Pick 65 may be a little bit high, but it's not like Cleveland is starved for draft picks.

Kizer had no future on the team so flipping him for a young CB is a fine deal. Overall some solid moves by Dorsey IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Possibly, but the bills could go to 2 or 3 too.

Yes I'm well aware of that. I was just thinking that maybe this was the 1st part of a larger discussed imminent deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr fancypants said:

Yes I'm well aware of that. I was just thinking that maybe this was the 1st part of a larger discussed imminent deal.

If so, why wouldnt they just wait?

The more I think about it, not sure why it made sense for either team to make this deal before free agency opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21, 22, and 2019 1st and they can have pick 4.  

Cant imagine they would give more.  I cant even really see then give just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns just did a lot to boost the offense.  But the defense needs help too.  I think they are tipping their hand that they will go QB at #1 and defense at #4.  Most likely Darnold and then Fitzpatrick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also have to say the Landry deal makes me feel a bit vindicated. Prior to the 2014 draft I was pimping Landry as a chain mover and a perfect fit for the Browns. Unlike a certain someone who was pounding the table for Sammy Watkins because of the aerial circus he would create being paired with Josh Gordon. Sorry couldn't help myself. 

Edited by mr fancypants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riversco said:

Browns just did a lot to boost the offense.  But the defense needs help too.  I think they are tipping their hand that they will go QB at #1 and defense at #4.  Most likely Darnold and then Fitzpatrick.  

I have  no idea why you think the moves they made are "tipping their hand".  If we didn't get any vet QBs we wouldnt have drafted a QB at 1??  But now that we have a vet QB we will?

As for pick 4, no idea why anything they did today would have anything to do with that pick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

If so, why wouldnt they just wait?

The more I think about it, not sure why it made sense for either team to make this deal before free agency opened.

Who knows? That I can't answer. Just looking at possible scenario's that could be part of a larger picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad idea for the browns to add talent thru trades, it’s hard to lure fa to Cleveland, especially coming off 0-16. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr fancypants said:

Who knows? That I can't answer. Just looking at possible scenario's that could be part of a larger picture.

It's possible.  At least we know they were talking, and we know Buffalo needs a QB now.  I imagine they talked about a "just in case" scenario where Buffalo isn't able to sign a decent Vet QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that the 4th rd. pick for Landry is being reported to be the pick the browns got for punter Andy Lee.

Which would make it Andy Lee and a 7th rd. pick for Landry.

Edited by mr fancypants
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

21, 22, and 2019 1st and they can have pick 4.  

Cant imagine they would give more.  I cant even really see then give just that.

Depends on who is available when the 4th pick comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ghostguy123 said:

I have  no idea why you think the moves they made are "tipping their hand".  If we didn't get any vet QBs we wouldnt have drafted a QB at 1??  But now that we have a vet QB we will?

As for pick 4, no idea why anything they did today would have anything to do with that pick.  

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

Who knows? That I can't answer. Just looking at possible scenario's that could be part of a larger picture.

The larger picture, IMO, is Dorsey wants to win now and generate some excitement.

Maybe they have their eyes on a QB they like long term but don't think he's ready to start yet, or maybe they want Taylor to start as they draft Barkley and either Chubb or Fitz. Although that would have seemed more likely had they kept Kizer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

Depends on who is available when the 4th pick comes up.

Just as importantly, depends who we drafted at 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riversco said:

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.

I think pick 4 was always more likely to be a defensive player, especially if we draft a QB at 1.  It never made sense for pick 4 to be a QB for us, at all.  If we are going QB, it is at 1.  

But we still have three 2nds and 90 million in cap to help the D.  I imagine we will use those picks/cap for D.  Just a hunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say though out of this mostly positive day of transactions for the browns. I do feel some empathy for local kid Kiser as it looks like he will be regarded as yet another casualty chewed up and spit out of the browns chaotic QB factory. 

Edited by mr fancypants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr fancypants said:

Gotta say though out of this mostly positive day of transactions for the browns. I do feel some empathy for local kid Kiser as it looks like he will be regarded as yet another casualty chewed up and spit out of the browns chaotic QB factory. 

I hated the Kizer pick at the time, and it looks even dumber now.  I didnt hate it cause of the player, it just made no sense to draft a QB in the 2nd in that type of rebuild when we were very likely to get a top pick this year and draft our QB of the future.  It was a waste of a pick which could have been used on something, well, useful to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Anyone who thought Hue had any power is rejoicing right now. 

Wait, what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

Gotta say though out of this mostly positive day of transactions for the browns. I do feel some empathy for local kid Kiser as it looks like he will be regarded as yet another casualty chewed up and spit out of the browns chaotic QB factory. 

Toledo is in Michigan, you didn’t know?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pantherclub said:

you give up a 3rd round pick for a qb that will only start 1 year?  Gotalmighty you guys deserve what you get.  Any scrub qb can "bridge" the gap if thats truly your plan.  I think its a free for all with franchises getting in line to take advantage of the browns

It only makes sense if they make him the guy and don’t draft a qb. That’s my guess right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pantherclub said:

you give up a 3rd round pick for a qb that will only start 1 year?  Gotalmighty you guys deserve what you get.  Any scrub qb can "bridge" the gap if thats truly your plan.  I think its a free for all with franchises getting in line to take advantage of the browns

Your analysis is not interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riversco said:

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.

They are getting better players.. which is what they need regardless of side of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

I hated the Kizer pick at the time, and it looks even dumber now.  I didnt hate it cause of the player, it just made no sense to draft a QB in the 2nd in that type of rebuild when we were very likely to get a top pick this year and draft our QB of the future.  It was a waste of a pick which could have been used on something, well, useful to us. 

I think the Kizer pick made sense. If he'd been an instant success, they have 2 top picks, and a 22 year old promising starter, and avoid QB completely. It didn't pan out, but the logic of having a potential long term starter for a 2nd round rookie deal was a chance worth taking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

The deal with the Bills makes me wonder if something larger is in the works. I believe Buffalo now has 2 1st's, 2 2nd's and 2 3rd round picks and is rumored to be interested in moving up for one of the young QB's in the draft. Just a thought but maybe this is a precursor to a trade on draft day for say the 4th overall pick? 

 

or the second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emory Hunt‏ @FBallGameplan 9h9 hours ago

Jarvis Landry has GREAT hands. When you have great hands, you're always open. A QB's best friend.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN 9h9 hours ago

Top 5 #Browns WRs in 2017:

Ricardo Louis 27-357-0

Rashard Higgins 27-312-2

Corey Coleman 23-305-2

Josh Gordon 18-335-1

Kenny Britt 18-233-2

113-1542-7

Jarvis Landry 2017: 112-987-9

--------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Siciliano‏Verified account @AndrewSiciliano 9h9 hours ago

.@God_Son80 has 400 receptions in his first four seasons, the most by any player to start a career in @NFL history.

------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN 9h9 hours ago

The #Browns traded for a player that led the NFL in catches, is in the prime of his career while keeping their best 5 draft picks and people are mad.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're still sitting on a ton of cap space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 2h2 hours ago

Tony Grossi Retweeted Spotrac

Per @spotrac, Browns burned through $32 million of salary cap space in acquiring three likely veteran starters on Friday. Still have over $80 million in cap room entering free agency on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another purely speculative note is that Tyrod Taylor's height is listed on the short side as 6'1.

If the offense is built around his strengths it might be easier to transition to a Baker Mayfield.

Edited by mr fancypants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

Another speculative note is that Tyrod Taylor's height is listed as 6'1.

If the offense is built around his strengths it might be easier to transition to a Baker Mayfield.

: cough: lamarjackson : cough:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pick they traded to MIA was acquired from CAR for Andy Lee.

Punter and a 7th for Landry. Can't get mad at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travdogg said:

I think the Kizer pick made sense. If he'd been an instant success, they have 2 top picks, and a 22 year old promising starter, and avoid QB completely. It didn't pan out, but the logic of having a potential long term starter for a 2nd round rookie deal was a chance worth taking.

What were the chances that HE was going to be an instant success though?  Youngest QB in the NFL, raw as hell, playing here.  He had no chance.  None.  Said it then, saying it still, it was simply a terrible pick by Sashi. 

Kizer has talent and could very well be good some day, but it had no chance to happen in 2017.

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memories of our DEF gassing every single game last season, as they spent 3/4+ of the game on the field.

We add saquon to this mix, get our rookie qb, and I'm telling ya... We're keeping that offense on the field, putting up points, and our DEF gonna show what it's really capable of. 

I am so damned excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, franchise punter said:

Is the Barkley excitement largely combine-driven? I don't remember him as the consensus No. 1 before it.

If combines put a player at #1for you, there is a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, franchise punter said:

Is the Barkley excitement largely combine-driven? I don't remember him as the consensus No. 1 before it.

I think he's always been the consensus number 1 non-QB. It's just a matter of where you rate the QBs I suppose.

Edited by DallasDMac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

Also have to say the Landry deal makes me feel a bit vindicated. Prior to the 2014 draft I was pimping Landry as a chain mover and a perfect fit for the Browns. Unlike a certain someone who was pounding the table for Sammy Watkins because of the aerial circus he would create being paired with Josh Gordon. Sorry couldn't help myself. 

I wouldn't rule out Sammy coming here next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

If so, why wouldnt they just wait?

The more I think about it, not sure why it made sense for either team to make this deal before free agency opened.

Dorsey making noise a week before free agency opens may help in trying to sell decent players on coming here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Riversco said:

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.

2 things 

Offseason is still very young.

And Williams is still a terrible coordinator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, travdogg said:

I think the Kizer pick made sense. If he'd been an instant success, they have 2 top picks, and a 22 year old promising starter, and avoid QB completely. It didn't pan out, but the logic of having a potential long term starter for a 2nd round rookie deal was a chance worth taking.

Kizer was never going to be an instant success even if he was given competent coaching and development. 

He may never be any good, but he will be given a chance in Green Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, massraider said:

: cough: lamarjackson : cough:

Please do not pin Lamar on Hue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Memories of our DEF gassing every single game last season, as they spent 3/4+ of the game on the field.

We add saquon to this mix, get our rookie qb, and I'm telling ya... We're keeping that offense on the field, putting up points, and our DEF gonna show what it's really capable of. 

I am so damned excited. 

"We might win a game this year" excited, or "We might actually go 3-13 this year" excited? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they may have overpaid a bit for Tyrod Taylor.  still not a bad trade. 

 

if the DB from the Packers can get with the program, i think he was a steal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, amnesiac said:

they may have overpaid a bit for Tyrod Taylor.  still not a bad trade. 

 

if the DB from the Packers can get with the program, i think he was a steal.  

how is it not a bad trade if it was for a 3rd, plus 16million cap for a "bridge" player?  It doesnt make sense especially considering you can bet your ### whatever qb they pick will be starting week 8 or so.

Edited by pantherclub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

"We might win a game this year" excited, or "We might actually go 3-13 this year" excited? 

I think this team wouldve won 4-5 games w Tyrod at QB last year alone. 

We were hanging in tight in way too games til the DEF gassed. 

End of FA and draft, we'll see. Plus w Haley and Dorsey, Im thrilled beyond expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.