What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Gotta say though out of this mostly positive day of transactions for the browns. I do feel some empathy for local kid Kiser as it looks like he will be regarded as yet another casualty chewed up and spit out of the browns chaotic QB factory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say though out of this mostly positive day of transactions for the browns. I do feel some empathy for local kid Kiser as it looks like he will be regarded as yet another casualty chewed up and spit out of the browns chaotic QB factory. 
I hated the Kizer pick at the time, and it looks even dumber now.  I didnt hate it cause of the player, it just made no sense to draft a QB in the 2nd in that type of rebuild when we were very likely to get a top pick this year and draft our QB of the future.  It was a waste of a pick which could have been used on something, well, useful to us. 

you give up a 3rd round pick for a qb that will only start 1 year?  Gotalmighty you guys deserve what you get.  Any scrub qb can "bridge" the gap if thats truly your plan.  I think its a free for all with franchises getting in line to take advantage of the browns
It only makes sense if they make him the guy and don’t draft a qb. That’s my guess right now.

you give up a 3rd round pick for a qb that will only start 1 year?  Gotalmighty you guys deserve what you get.  Any scrub qb can "bridge" the gap if thats truly your plan.  I think its a free for all with franchises getting in line to take advantage of the browns
Your analysis is not interesting.

I hated the Kizer pick at the time, and it looks even dumber now.  I didnt hate it cause of the player, it just made no sense to draft a QB in the 2nd in that type of rebuild when we were very likely to get a top pick this year and draft our QB of the future.  It was a waste of a pick which could have been used on something, well, useful to us. 
I think the Kizer pick made sense. If he'd been an instant success, they have 2 top picks, and a 22 year old promising starter, and avoid QB completely. It didn't pan out, but the logic of having a potential long term starter for a 2nd round rookie deal was a chance worth taking.

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.
They are getting better players.. which is what they need regardless of side of the ball.

The deal with the Bills makes me wonder if something larger is in the works. I believe Buffalo now has 2 1st's, 2 2nd's and 2 3rd round picks and is rumored to be interested in moving up for one of the young QB's in the draft. Just a thought but maybe this is a precursor to a trade on draft day for say the 4th overall pick? 
or the second.

Emory Hunt‏ @FBallGameplan 9h9 hours ago

Jarvis Landry has GREAT hands. When you have great hands, you're always open. A QB's best friend.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN 9h9 hours ago

Top 5 #Browns WRs in 2017:

Ricardo Louis 27-357-0

Rashard Higgins 27-312-2

Corey Coleman 23-305-2

Josh Gordon 18-335-1

Kenny Britt 18-233-2

113-1542-7

Jarvis Landry 2017: 112-987-9

--------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Siciliano‏Verified account @AndrewSiciliano 9h9 hours ago

.@God_Son80 has 400 receptions in his first four seasons, the most by any player to start a career in @NFL history.

------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN 9h9 hours ago

The #Browns traded for a player that led the NFL in catches, is in the prime of his career while keeping their best 5 draft picks and people are mad.

We're still sitting on a ton of cap space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 2h2 hours ago

Tony Grossi Retweeted Spotrac

Per @spotrac, Browns burned through $32 million of salary cap space in acquiring three likely veteran starters on Friday. Still have over $80 million in cap room entering free agency on Monday.

Another purely speculative note is that Tyrod Taylor's height is listed on the short side as 6'1.

If the offense is built around his strengths it might be easier to transition to a Baker Mayfield.

I think the Kizer pick made sense. If he'd been an instant success, they have 2 top picks, and a 22 year old promising starter, and avoid QB completely. It didn't pan out, but the logic of having a potential long term starter for a 2nd round rookie deal was a chance worth taking.
What were the chances that HE was going to be an instant success though?  Youngest QB in the NFL, raw as hell, playing here.  He had no chance.  None.  Said it then, saying it still, it was simply a terrible pick by Sashi. 

Kizer has talent and could very well be good some day, but it had no chance to happen in 2017.

Memories of our DEF gassing every single game last season, as they spent 3/4+ of the game on the field.

We add saquon to this mix, get our rookie qb, and I'm telling ya... We're keeping that offense on the field, putting up points, and our DEF gonna show what it's really capable of. 

I am so damned excited. 

Also have to say the Landry deal makes me feel a bit vindicated. Prior to the 2014 draft I was pimping Landry as a chain mover and a perfect fit for the Browns. Unlike a certain someone who was pounding the table for Sammy Watkins because of the aerial circus he would create being paired with Josh Gordon. Sorry couldn't help myself. 
I wouldn't rule out Sammy coming here next week.

They Browns gave up 400 points last year and the could not stop the pass at all.  They made several trades today but I don't think these moves help the defense much.  The CB they got from the packers really was awful a lot of the time last year.  I don't think they are going to use both #1s on offense and make these trades for offense and mostly skip the defense.  It could be CB Ward from the Buckeyes instead but I think the favorite is defense at #4 now.
2 things 

Offseason is still very young.

And Williams is still a terrible coordinator. 

Kizer was never going to be an instant success even if he was given competent coaching and development. 

He may never be any good, but he will be given a chance in Green Bay.

Memories of our DEF gassing every single game last season, as they spent 3/4+ of the game on the field.

We add saquon to this mix, get our rookie qb, and I'm telling ya... We're keeping that offense on the field, putting up points, and our DEF gonna show what it's really capable of. 

I am so damned excited. 
"We might win a game this year" excited, or "We might actually go 3-13 this year" excited? 

they may have overpaid a bit for Tyrod Taylor.  still not a bad trade. 

if the DB from the Packers can get with the program, i think he was a steal.  

they may have overpaid a bit for Tyrod Taylor.  still not a bad trade. 

if the DB from the Packers can get with the program, i think he was a steal.  
how is it not a bad trade if it was for a 3rd, plus 16million cap for a "bridge" player?  It doesnt make sense especially considering you can bet your ### whatever qb they pick will be starting week 8 or so.

"We might win a game this year" excited, or "We might actually go 3-13 this year" excited? 
I think this team wouldve won 4-5 games w Tyrod at QB last year alone. 

We were hanging in tight in way too games til the DEF gassed. 

End of FA and draft, we'll see. Plus w Haley and Dorsey, Im thrilled beyond expectations. 

The Browns are trading DT Danny Shelton to the Patriots for a conditional pick, league sources tell @AdamSchefter and me.

The Browns are trading DT Danny Shelton to the Patriots for a conditional pick, league sources tell @AdamSchefter and me.
This one kinda has me scratching my head a little but whatevs. The team was 1-31, little shake up is definitely needed.

Pats send 2019 3rd for Shelton and a 2018 5th from CLE.

Makes sense for CLE, they aren't paying Shelton like a pass-rushing DT, and his 5th year option is gonna be 11 mill+. Good player, not worth the money.  You can get run-stuffers.

They get a premium pick for Shelton, a player who would have walked with no compensation.  (The Browns are some years away from getting comp picks, they are gonna be signing way more than they lose for two years, at least).

Pats on the other hand, get great run-stuffer, and will probably get a '20 comp pick (4th or 5th) from Shelton.  So they gained a 5th this year, and will probably slide down a round or two from the '19 pick. Not terrible for them.  

This one kinda has me scratching my head a little but whatevs. The team was 1-31, little shake up is definitely needed.
He was a two-down DT who would be up for renegotiation in a year.

The Browns got lucky in last year's draft with Caleb Brantley and Larry Ogunjobi. 

Ogunjobi really looked good and Caleb came on strong down the stretch.  I also like Coley who 'can' penetrate and provide pass rush. 

Shelton provided zilch in terms of pass rush.  

It wasn't coaching, Danny can do what he does but he can't rush the passer which limits him as a player.  Good run stuffer, nice kid.

If suh gets cut, Cleveland could offer an attractive contract without it being stupid. 
Nah. 

The Browns are actually loaded at the DT position but if they want I think they can get a bargain in the draft because....

Mo-Hurst should be their at the top of the 2nd at a rookie deal and he can penetrate and provide pass rush.

Adding push from the center to Ogbah and Myles  Garrett on the edges plus Jamie Collins coming on the blitz to 'possibly' a high pick in the first round on another pass rusher?  

Pats send 2019 3rd for Shelton and a 2018 5th from CLE.

Makes sense for CLE, they aren't paying Shelton like a pass-rushing DT, and his 5th year option is gonna be 11 mill+. Good player, not worth the money.  You can get run-stuffers.

They get a premium pick for Shelton, a player who would have walked with no compensation.  (The Browns are some years away from getting comp picks, they are gonna be signing way more than they lose for two years, at least).

Pats on the other hand, get great run-stuffer, and will probably get a '20 comp pick (4th or 5th) from Shelton.  So they gained a 5th this year, and will probably slide down a round or two from the '19 pick. Not terrible for them.  
Deal makes sense for both teams...Shelton adds a quality big body that the Pats sorely needed...Branch took a big step backwards last year and it hurt their D...between this and getting Valentine back hopefully the interior is stabilized...I like getting a pick this year...they traded a few away so between this and the fourth they got in compensatory things have evened out a little better...for Cleveland you get a quality pick back for a guy you probably didn’t have long term plans for...I like what Cleveland is doing...you can tell they are now run by a big boy GM...he has a nice plan unfolding this offseason...would love to see them trade for #2 and come out of this draft with Barkley and the franchise QB...

how is it not a bad trade if it was for a 3rd, plus 16million cap for a "bridge" player?  It doesnt make sense especially considering you can bet your ### whatever qb they pick will be starting week 8 or so.
Why is it a guarantee that the rookie will start? Tyrod has been decent and is at least a serviceable game manager. Only reason he was benched last year was because the Bills had their heads in their asses. This trade is great because with the franchise tag, they could conceivably have Tyrod for 3 years if he is good at a price that would probably end up being below the top 5 market. Or just let him go after getting a cheap bridge QB this year. The only way that is a loss is if you don’t believe Tyrod is at least middle of the pack as a starting QB. He seems to be to me, he did well with very little last year and unimaginative play calling.

Deal makes sense for both teams...Shelton adds a quality big body that the Pats sorely needed...Branch took a big step backwards last year and it hurt their D...between this and getting Valentine back hopefully the interior is stabilized...I like getting a pick this year...they traded a few away so between this and the fourth they got in compensatory things have evened out a little better...for Cleveland you get a quality pick back for a guy you probably didn’t have long term plans for...I like what Cleveland is doing...you can tell they are now run by a big boy GM...he has a nice plan unfolding this offseason...would love to see them trade for #2 and come out of this draft with Barkley and the franchise QB...
I think it makes sense for both as well.

I think the Browns can stay at 1 and 4 and get the QB and Barkley.  People gonna trade up for those QBs.  

This is from a Will Brinson tweet -

"

With Danny Shelton traded to Patriots, every one of the Browns first-round picks from 2009 to 2015 is gone from the roster. All 10 of them.

Alex Mack
Joe Haden
Phil Taylor
Trent Richardson
Brandon Weeden
Barkevious Mingo
Justin Gilbert
Johnny Manziel
Danny Shelton
Cameron Erving"

Why is it a guarantee that the rookie will start? Tyrod has been decent and is at least a serviceable game manager. Only reason he was benched last year was because the Bills had their heads in their asses. This trade is great because with the franchise tag, they could conceivably have Tyrod for 3 years if he is good at a price that would probably end up being below the top 5 market. Or just let him go after getting a cheap bridge QB this year. The only way that is a loss is if you don’t believe Tyrod is at least middle of the pack as a starting QB. He seems to be to me, he did well with very little last year and unimaginative play calling.
History of the franchise

He is a very nice bridge QB...I am not a huge fan but he has solid skills and is perfect in this role because he is a legit NFL QB...while this is a nice QB crop and Cleveland will get one of them none of the big 5 appear to be ready to start week 1....at least not right now at the beginning of March...it could change in camp...due to that Cleveland needs to make sure they can develop this QB without rushing him while not having a QB playing that is a train wreck...I think Taylor checks all the boxes for that role and a #3 is more than worth it if this unfolds the way they want it to...

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN

John Dorsey met with Danny Shelton’s agent in Indianapolis; his departure not a surprise here. Don’t be shocked if Corey Coleman’s name surfaces in trade talks either. #Browns

He is a very nice bridge QB...I am not a huge fan but he has solid skills and is perfect in this role because he is a legit NFL QB...while this is a nice QB crop and Cleveland will get one of them none of the big 5 appear to be ready to start week 1....at least not right now at the beginning of March...it could change in camp...due to that Cleveland needs to make sure they can develop this QB without rushing him while not having a QB playing that is a train wreck...I think Taylor checks all the boxes for that role and a #3 is more than worth it if this unfolds the way they want it to...
They have never done that and I doubt they resist the urge this year if they are sitting at 3-8 or something like that. 

Who was the last qb they drafted to be the next guy and they not start him in year one?

They have never done that and I doubt they resist the urge this year if they are sitting at 3-8 or something like that. 

Who was the last qb they drafted to be the next guy and they not start him in year one?
New GM...he knows what he is doing...I trust he will make sure they do right thing...if he doesn’t than it will be the same old same old...

Users who are viewing this thread