What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

if you don’t have a QB, you don’t have anything. and the Browns look like they finally have a QB.
Funny thing is that here we sit #####ing about a few inches or bad ref calls.  This time last year we were lamenting on who we were going to take with the 1st overall pick in the draft.

You are definitely correct in this statement.  It's starting to feel like football has returned to CLE.

You are definitely correct in this statement.  It's starting to feel like football has returned to CLE.
One thing I'll say regarding above, since Mayfield has been in (and I know it's a small sample size) I haven't felt we've ever been out of a game.There were times in the past 3 years I bailed in the 2nd quarter when we were down 7 because I just knew we weren't coming back. We have a QB Cleveland, rejoice!

I would have punted the ball, for a bunch of reasons I've stated already. Below actually backs up the refs overturning the call although I don't think we should be busting out slide rules to do it. It's part of football, moving on. I'm done resume stuffing the "let's see how the Browns can lose this week" folder.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/10/1/17922818/deconstructing-clevelands-overturned-first-down

Aren't the replays viewed without the yellow/blue lines and they have to use the hashes?  I understand that they pieced 2 views together to come to a conclusion, but I don't see how that article answers anything unless you're spotting the ball using an imaginary line.

Impressive that Harrison has taken most snaps of any rookie on the team this year and is one of all rookies in terms of snaps in the league.

Jimmy Donovan said on the Redzone Report that the way he's playing that he has saved us using a 1st round pick on a LT in next year's draft.  He said, that is what the good teams do and the Browns are doing things like inserting him into the starting lineup in the first game and letting him learn on the job.  He said, that people questioned the move but a move like that is the sort of thing that a team like the Patriots would do and have it work but that we did it and it is working and it means we don't have to use a first round pick on a left tackle next year.

-------------------------------------------

Standout rookies for all 32 teams

Cleveland Browns

Record: 1-2-1
Week 4 ranking

Rookie snaps leader: OL Desmond Harrison, 292 snaps out of 293 (99.7 percent). The undrafted rookie out of West Georgia is part of an offensive line that as a unit has not missed an offensive snap all season. -- Shah

Impressive that Harrison has taken most snaps of any rookie on the team this year and is one of all rookies in terms of snaps in the league.

Jimmy Donovan said on the Redzone Report that the way he's playing that he has saved us using a 1st round pick on a LT in next year's draft.  He said, that is what the good teams do and the Browns are doing things like inserting him into the starting lineup in the first game and letting him learn on the job.  He said, that people questioned the move but a move like that is the sort of thing that a team like the Patriots would do and have it work but that we did it and it is working and it means we don't have to use a first round pick on a left tackle next year.

-------------------------------------------

Standout rookies for all 32 teams

Cleveland Browns

Record: 1-2-1
Week 4 ranking

Rookie snaps leader: OL Desmond Harrison, 292 snaps out of 293 (99.7 percent). The undrafted rookie out of West Georgia is part of an offensive line that as a unit has not missed an offensive snap all season. -- Shah
:thumbup: Love this and I was firmly in the camp of wtf? when they jammed him in the lineup. How does it feel not to be Schleprock Cleveland? :pickle:

Contrary to my usual optimistic nature, I'm thinking the Ravens win big this week.  They are very good & very experienced. 

daveR said:
Contrary to my usual optimistic nature, I'm thinking the Ravens win big this week.  They are very good & very experienced. 
yep.  and this will be the week the Browns win 35-10.  

because the NFL is weird.  

Stupid @amnesiac stealing my thunder :P

This is the week we put it all together and pull out the win! Think it's close with the kid driving down, no time left on the clock and Joseph boots a game winner as the clock ticks 0:00.

There was a moment in last weeks game at the end of regulation where the camera panned to the Browns sideline and showed Mayfield running over to Joseph, had a quick conversation and Mayfield ran out on the field. I know he asked him, "where do you need to be?" I just know it! Then of course he launched a deep ball that was intercepted but I still feel deep down that's what took place between the two. It's going to happen this weekend, PFM baby, PFM!

i've never been in a “chain sporting goods store” before where they had so few Browns jerseys.  This city is so excited about this team right now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Officially convinced the officials don't even know how to officiate anymore.  They can take the uncatchable crap and shove it right back where it came from.

Stupid @amnesiac stealing my thunder :P

This is the week we put it all together and pull out the win! Think it's close with the kid driving down, no time left on the clock and Joseph boots a game winner as the clock ticks 0:00.

There was a moment in last weeks game at the end of regulation where the camera panned to the Browns sideline and showed Mayfield running over to Joseph, had a quick conversation and Mayfield ran out on the field. I know he asked him, "where do you need to be?" I just know it! Then of course he launched a deep ball that was intercepted but I still feel deep down that's what took place between the two. It's going to happen this weekend, PFM baby, PFM!
Nothing came together but I'll take it!

2-2-1 the Browns don’t have a losing record!!!!

seriously though, some of those passes!

the future is bright in Cleveland.  

2-2-1 the Browns don’t have a losing record!!!!

seriously though, some of those passes!

the future is bright in Cleveland.  
The kid has a rifle, I mean a ####### rifle for an arm. I become more & more impressed every week by his play. This week it looked like the receiving corp was starting to get in sync with him. I think he also had more errant passes this week than the past few and he isn’t shy about going deep although his timing needs work. It will all come with more reps.

Gotta agree, things are finally looking up.

the more i watch him i’m picking up on some of his weaknesses.  needs to work on his touch passes, for example. 

pretty confident though that he’s a hard worker and an intelligent kid. he will continue to improve, not sure where his ceiling actually is?

some of the throws he’s making though, unbelievable for a rookie. 

barring injury, i can’t believe i’m going to say it, but we are witnessing the beginning of the Browns window opening.  

and Denzel Ward!  wow did Dorsey nail his first draft!

It is nice to see production from draft picks. So many picks wasted over the years. It is finally time to get excited about the direction this team is going. We won a close one today, been a while since that happened 

The sack on Carr with the in the grass was just so, so bad.  Even in slow motion the ball came out immediately.  

I do feel like we had the game taken from us.  We played better than they did.  

But, we also screwed up a lot and the D wasnt very good.
I think it's in the grasp, but agree.

The kid has a rifle, I mean a ####### rifle for an arm. I become more & more impressed every week by his play. This week it looked like the receiving corp was starting to get in sync with him. I think he also had more errant passes this week than the past few and he isn’t shy about going deep although his timing needs work. It will all come with more reps.

Gotta agree, things are finally looking up.
Look at Browns, y’all grown now! Two wins & a tie! Lawd have mercy.

happy for you guys, SRSLY

I think it's in the grasp, but agree.
Flacco would have been sacked 5+ more times today if they blew the whistle like they did on the Carr play.  Man, we should easily be sitting 3-1-1 right now.  I can accept the NO loss and Pit tie, but not the Oakland result.

was Flacco doing something weird with his pre-snap cadence?

Garrett was called offsides twice, which i thought was kind of weird. 

was Flacco doing something weird with his pre-snap cadence?

Garrett was called offsides twice, which i thought was kind of weird. 
Since they happened so closely together in the third I assumed they noticed something and made an adjustment over halftime.

Just here to say how much I enjoy watching the Browns. I appreciate the team's historical importance, I enjoyed the Hard Knocks series, I feel for the fanbase and as a former Wisconsinite/lifeling Packer fan, I support fellow midwestern teams not in our division. Happy for you guys.

Win or not, the officials were straight trash again. Balt's RT false started at least 3 times without it being called, not to mention the horrendous PI/Illegal contact no call. All that aside, this was a tremendous win, if for no other reason than the team was able to overcome their own mistakes (Looking at you Haley, with the horrid reverse inside your own 10). Higgins is really stepping up, Hyde is the workhorse every team needs, and of course Mayfield looks like the real deal. I think Landry is probably phenomenal in the locker room, but man, he makes some dumb mistakes/drops. Callaway redeemed himself from some early drops with a couple of clutch grabs late, but he is a work in progress, along with Njoku. Overall, alot here to be excited about. Big test next week with SD. Will Greg Williams finally develop a scheme that covers the middle of the field? (I doubt it- Gates goes off next week). 

Win or not, the officials were straight trash again. Balt's RT false started at least 3 times without it being called, not to mention the horrendous PI/Illegal contact no call. All that aside, this was a tremendous win, if for no other reason than the team was able to overcome their own mistakes (Looking at you Haley, with the horrid reverse inside your own 10). Higgins is really stepping up, Hyde is the workhorse every team needs, and of course Mayfield looks like the real deal. I think Landry is probably phenomenal in the locker room, but man, he makes some dumb mistakes/drops. Callaway redeemed himself from some early drops with a couple of clutch grabs late, but he is a work in progress, along with Njoku. Overall, alot here to be excited about. Big test next week with SD. Will Greg Williams finally develop a scheme that covers the middle of the field? (I doubt it- Gates goes off next week). 
I call this Taking Out the Landry. Thank you, I'm here all week. Agree with your statement, he needs to reign it in some on the field. Not getting out of bounds at the end of the game when the sideline was right there, terrible mistake for a WR of his caliber. Again, little things.

I had 3 take aways from the game yesterday:

• Baker's arm, good gosh does he have a rocket
  • The middle of the defense was so soft yesterday (and has been). Not sure if it's designed that way or our LB's have suddenly become mediocore
  • Back to the penalties, good Lord stop with the ####### penalties! 10 for 66 yards
  • Bonus observation - keep feeding Hyde the rock

I call this Taking Out the Landry. Thank you, I'm here all week. Agree with your statement, he needs to reign it in some on the field. Not getting out of bounds at the end of the game when the sideline was right there, terrible mistake for a WR of his caliber. Again, little things.

I had 3 take aways from the game yesterday:

• Baker's arm, good gosh does he have a rocket
  • The middle of the defense was so soft yesterday (and has been). Not sure if it's designed that way or our LB's have suddenly become mediocore
  • Back to the penalties, good Lord stop with the ####### penalties! 10 for 66 yards
  • Bonus observation - keep feeding Hyde the rock
On point 2 - part of that is on Williams' scheme.  And I think another part of that was apparent yesterday due to Collins and Kirksey getting dinged in the 3rd.  Both returned, but I didn't think either one moved nearly as well as they did prior.  Thankfully the secondary and the line played as great as they did to mask that problem.

On point 4 - boy do I disagree.  There needs to be more Duke and Chubb.  If it's at the expense of others and not Hyde then so be it.  But there needs to be more from them.  Hyde's a JAG.  There's a place for him, but 20+ touches per game?  Get outta here.  Only time that should happen is when protecting a lead in the 4th.

But it's nice to complain about officials and play calls instead of what we've been complaining about since 2014.

And Allen/the RB's are my concern next week; not old man Gates.  I think they'll scheme them open across the middle all game long.  Gates (and to a lesser degree, Mike Williams) can't separate - it's all box outs and jump balls.  The threat of Tyrell Williams deep will keep Randall honest, which will open up one-on-one mismatches under neath.

On point 4 - boy do I disagree.  There needs to be more Duke and Chubb.  If it's at the expense of others and not Hyde then so be it.  But there needs to be more from them.  Hyde's a JAG.  There's a place for him, but 20+ touches per game?  Get outta here.  Only time that should happen is when protecting a lead in the 4th.
Might as well trade him then because he's not a spot back. Not convinced Chubb can block and Duke isn't the run it up the middle guy. I don't understand, with all of Haley's "brilliance", how you don't have those guys on the field in a receiver role? Not Chubb so much but they've said for two years they're going to do that with Johnson and he's barely in the lineup. How's about we ditch the WR end a rounds and draw up something for the RB's you have sitting on the bench? Seems like Haley is trying to play chess sometimes when all he needs to do is play checkers.

Might as well trade him then because he's not a spot back. Not convinced Chubb can block and Duke isn't the run it up the middle guy. I don't understand, with all of Haley's "brilliance", how you don't have those guys on the field in a receiver role? Not Chubb so much but they've said for two years they're going to do that with Johnson and he's barely in the lineup. How's about we ditch the WR end a rounds and draw up something for the RB's you have sitting on the bench? Seems like Haley is trying to play chess sometimes when all he needs to do is play checkers.
I don't disagree with you about Hyde, but I think that's also why he's a weird fit on this team.  Chubb is clearly more talented, but he's currently flawed.  Hyde is limited touch-to-touch, but is better the more he gets it.  So how do you maximize the effectiveness of both while also getting Duke more involved?  :shrug:  But I think Chubb needs more touches earlier.  If he's running hot then you roll with it then deal with Hyde.  If he's not then you go back to Hyde and get him hot by the 4th.

Duke?  They actually did what you're suggesting last year, but it was easy to forget for obvious reasons.  He was usually in that 10-12 touch zone, as he should.  He's not this year and as he showed on the GW drive that isn't right.  But who loses involvement to get him the ball more?  If this Higgins injury is a multi week thing that'd open things up, but even if he's back eating into both him and Callaway would be a start.  Hollywood's a secondary guy.  Callaway's just not reliable.  So all that short stuff you have designed for Callaway - put Duke there.  When you go 3 wide don't auto insert Higgins - give Duke some of those routes too.  As you get deeper into a drive and Hyde fatigues, put Duke in there.  If Chubb didn't start off hot and you're phasing him out of the game plan then give Duke a drive or two and change the pace.  He has multiple uses and right now they're not using any of them.  When they finally did yesterday?  Ball game.

if you only put Chubb in 3-4 times a game, the defense is smart enough to know he's getting the rock, so they anticipate the run.

it's unfair to chubb, unfair to the browns. 

guy is a monster, but hard to show it (even tho he has) when he hits the field and every defender keeps their eyes on him.

more playing time, more touches. please.

if you only put Chubb in 3-4 times a game, the defense is smart enough to know he's getting the rock, so they anticipate the run.

guy is a monster, but hard to show it (even tho he has) when he hits the field and every defender keeps their eyes on him.

If they think he's going to get Mayfield killed, it's not his time yet and small doses of playing time (with run/pass plays he knows exactly what to do) is exactly what he needs.  Sorry, but I'm fine with Hyde at this point, with more Duke mixed in (still a problem like past years).  Let Chubb learn, and unlearn, all the things he needs to so he's ready to be THE MAN next year.  Hyde likely will be released.

He’s going to have to earn more playing time and touches.  There’s a lot more to being a NFL RB than just being able to run the ball on a few plays tailored to that player’s strengths.

Congrats to Ward for being the Rookie of the Week for Week 5!!

That puts the Browns Rookies at 4 of the last 5 ROW winners! (Mayfield, Chubb, and Ward x2)

Great stuff and truly new leaders on this team!  Was hoping Mayfield and Ward would've ended in a tie this week for the award, but can't go wrong with either one!

Future is looking bright!   :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread