Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

15 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Kitchens was with Arians in ARI. Give it to Arians, let Kitchens continue as is and give him the gig when Arians retires which wont be long.

Unless Kitchens continues calling the O. Then I'm good with him being HC. Let the 'OC' be a figurehead like Carmichael in N.O.

10 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

You guys are making the playoffs next year.

Without a doubt. Barring injury, this is the Browns division for the next decade to 15 years.

27 TDs in 13.5 games as a rookie. He's making guys around him better than they are.

As a Steelers fan, thanks for the hope today.  This team is going to be good for years with this guy at QB.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Without a doubt. Barring injury, this is the Browns division for the next decade to 15 years.

That’s a little timid. It’s theirs for 20 years or more, without any doubt 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

For head coach???

The Arians to Kitchens bridge doesnt sit well. A lot changes in a year and Arians isnt going to just pop in for a cameo then see himself out. If the objective is to build to Freddie them just give him the gig now. If you dont and it goes well then he bounces. 

• Like 1

Just wondering if Cleveland fans have heard anything. WISN 12 Milwaukee is reporting that reports are out tonight that Mike McCarthy will be named the Browns headcoach. I haven't seen this anywhere else so not sure where they are getting this info from

35 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Just wondering if Cleveland fans have heard anything. WISN 12 Milwaukee is reporting that reports are out tonight that Mike McCarthy will be named the Browns headcoach. I haven't seen this anywhere else so not sure where they are getting this info from

Nothing confirmed but it seems to be all over Twitter with "sources" hearing he's headed to Cleveland.

8 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

Nah...even the guy who posted this tweet initially has backtracked and called it a "rumor" or "what he thinks will happen".  Just lazyiness, IMO.

Dorsey and McCarthy have a relationship, no doubt.  Hell alot of the CLE FO has a relationship with McCarthy from their time in GB.  It would be a disservice to that relationship not to bring him in and talk to him.  But Dorsey has a list of candidates, and the only person who knows who the next CLE HC will be is Dorsey.  He will do his due diligence and talk to many people.  Schefter, Glazer, et al are doing nothing more than throwing the "top names" against a wall and hoping one sticks so they can say "I called it first!" With the last game behind us, it is now crazy season for the HC search, followed by the time of lies heading into FA and then the draft.  Take everything you hear with a grain of salt until it truly happens.

With all that said, the future is bright in CLE.  We have the NFL Rookie TD Leader at the helm, with a great RB talent and some key defensive pieces (Garrett, Schobert, Ward, Randall).  Get the right HC and let Dorsey fill in some gaps with FA and our 11 draft picks.  Baker put the AFC North and NFL on notice this year with what kind of potential he can bring to this team.  The players rallied around him, absorbed it, and now it's time to grow and build something special!  I can't wait!

• Like 2

Schedule gets released in a few months but we know opponents for next year.

Cleveland Browns 2019 Opponents set Cleveland will face 4 playoff teams (indicated with a *) in 2019 – Baltimore Ravens twice, New England, the LA Rams and Seattle.

Home:

• Steelers,
  • *Ravens
  • Bengals
  • Bills, Dolphins
  • *Rams
  • *Seahawks
  • Titans.

Road:

• Pittsburgh 
  •  *Baltimore
  •  Cincinnati
  •  *New England
  •  New York Jets
  •  Arizona
  •  San Francisco
  •  Denver

If Dorsey already has a new HC we'll hear in a few minutes when he has his end of year press conference.

Listen NOW >>>>>>

92.3 The Fan‏Verified account @923TheFan

Tune in to #Browns GM John Dorsey LIVE right now : http://923thefan.com/listen

LIVE STREAM OF DORSEY END OF YEAR PRESS CONFERENCE

7 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Listen NOW >>>>>>

92.3 The Fan‏Verified account @923TheFan

Tune in to #Browns GM John Dorsey LIVE right now : http://923thefan.com/listen

Like Dorsey's approach, but man the radio host needs to stop talking over the PC.  It's annoying and disruptive.

That was brief.  

For anyone who missed it.

John Dorsey to interview Gregg Williams Tuesday, Freddie Kitchens a candidate too Dorsey keeping details of head coaching search private

Berea, OH (92.3 The Fan) – Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey did not provide many specifics about the team’s impending coaching search, but we learned Monday morning that Gregg Williams will get the first interview on Tuesday and offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens is also a candidate.

Williams went 5-3 as interim head coach after taking over for Hue Jackson, who was fired Oct 29 along with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Dorsey, who has formed an internal search committee, confirmed he will lead the search at the request of owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam.

Dorsey knew he would take Baker Mayfield with the first pick well-before the draft.  He had a list of candidates in his head the year he was unemployed.

He could have already interviewed and hired Greg Williams at anytime and he could have done the same and named McCarthy if either was his guy but he pushed off the media and is buying time.That tells me his guy is still in the playoffs of college post season but more than likely it is a guy in the NFL playoffs.  

He flashed a bit of attitude when he said he had his list of candidates 'when he was unemployed for a year'.  Hmnnn, could his candidate be employed by the team that fired him?  KC has two guys who have been named as possible candidates.

KC Special team coach Dave Toub >>>  Chiefs’ Toub could become rare special-teams-to-head-coach

KC Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy >>>  NFL rumors: Former Eagles running back listed as ‘first tier’ head coaching candidate

I did not know him but went to school with Bieniemy at CU where he was our star RB and helped lead us to the National Championship.  I've followed his career as an NFL RB and his NFL coaching career.  He has not had the high profile as McCarthy or others but he is a guy that Dorsey would know intimately and he would have been on his list of candidates when he got fired.  I don't know if he is 'the guy' in Dorsey's hip pocket but I bet he will get an interview.

The only thing that concerns me is that Dorsey is on the search committee at the 'request' of Jimmy and Dee and that Jimmy and Dee are not on the committee at the 'request' of John Dorsey.

Dorsey probably had a good idea of his next coach a long time ago, but I suspect with the Browns' recent success down the stretch that forces him to reconsider and give greater weight to a couple of the in house names.    There is no denying this team played hard for Williams and Kitchen, but I am not sure these are the guys.  Kitchens isn't ready yet, IMO.  I found it interesting that Dorsey talked about a man of character a couple times in the presser.  That isn't Williams' strong suit.  Although, Dorsey did basically say he served his sentence.  As Soulfly mentioned, I am going to sit back and put trust into Dorsey.  Let's see what plays out.

Jim Trotter‏Verified account @JimTrotter_NFL

There is no better NFL opening than Cleveland. The Browns' future is brighter than some playoff teams. Couldn't be happier for their long-suffering fans.

8:26 AM - 31 Dec 2018

-------------------------------------

Pete Prisco Says “Manning is Very Tight With Haslam, Gase is a Workaholic”

------------------------------------

Barry Jackson‏Verified account @flasportsbuzz 1h1 hour ago

Gase was hardly devastated by this outcome, not remotely. He knows there is interest in him from other teams, including Cleveland:

----------------------------------------

hris Kouffman‏ @ckparrot

So what do I hear? I heard a surprising number of veterans, including SURPRISING ones like Frank Gore, Kenny Stills, and especially Cameron Wake, all rose up and disavowed Gase privately. Wake and Stills directly to Steve Ross. Kenyan Drake wanted a trade if Gase remained.

7:34 AM - 31 Dec 2018

----------------------------------------

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL 40m40 minutes ago

A lot of these stories coming out now. Gase had alienated many people with what was perceived as a superior/standoffish attitude.

Benjamin Allbright added,

Craig MishVerified account @CraigMish

I’m told the falling out of Gase & Ross began after the loss to the Colts. Ross rarely chats after - tried to talk to Gase postgame & Gase from what I was told blew him off & told him “not now” (in less kind words).

-----------------------------------------

Hope Jimmy has an open ear about Gase and listens to the many reports.  Jarvis tweeted his pleasure when Gase got fired and Gase the main reason he wanted out of Miami.  

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I don't think there is much merit to Gase in Cleveland.  I don't see it no matter what dots you want to connect with Peyton and Jimmy

What?  I want to?  No, leave that to the guy who said that Haley wasn't that bad.

Just now, Bracie Smathers said:

What?  I want to?  No, leave that to the guy who said that Haley wasn't that bad.

I meant "you" generically...change to "anyone"

The bad part of all this is that there are too many coaching openings.  If some of the potential names on Dorsey's list are playoff guys, his list could start shrinking waiting around for them.

Dorsey truly doing his due diligence, but also get the feeling he is keeping his HC choice close to the vest right now....

Dorsey has confirmed in his PC today that both Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens will interview for the head coaching position.

Sources: #Saints assistant head coach and TEs coach Dan Campbell has been requested by the #Packers and #Browns for HC interviews.

Per Marvez, Browns to interview Munchak

The #Browns have put in an interview request for #Colts DC Matt Eberflus, source said. One of the rising stars of this season.

Per PFT, Browns request permission to interview Brian Flores

Other outlets spew the same recycled names of Gase, McDaniels, Toub, Bienemy, Matt Campbell, Lincoln Riley, and Bruce Arians.  No confirmations from CLE on any of these being asked to interview.  Dorsey did say in his PC this AM that he would keep the media informed of his interviews.  

Some interesting names on this list, some outliers that I wouldn't have considered, but have me looking them up for more info.

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I meant "you" generically...change to "anyone"

I mentioned the KC coordinator Eric Bieniemy because I have followed him but did you know the two previous KC OCs went onto be NFL HCs?

Doug Peterson - won a SuperBowl

Matt Nagy - coached the Bears to the playoffs in his first year

Seems like Andy Reid knows how to pick coaches.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

The bad part of all this is that there are too many coaching openings.  If some of the potential names on Dorsey's list are playoff guys, his list could start shrinking waiting around for them.

Good point...but how many are as interesting/attractive as CLE?

The HC openings to date:

CLE 
Green Bay 
NYJ 
Arizona 
Tampa 
Miami 
Denver 
Cincy 

I would think CLE, GB, then NYJ/AZ a tie in my rankings.  Those teams have something going for them, if only for Rodgers in GB.  That might actually drop them on my list to #4. 

13 minutes ago, Peak said:

Dorsey truly doing his due diligence, but also get the feeling he is keeping his HC choice close to the vest right now....

Dorsey has confirmed in his PC today that both Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens will interview for the head coaching position.

Sources: #Saints assistant head coach and TEs coach Dan Campbell has been requested by the #Packers and #Browns for HC interviews.

Per Marvez, Browns to interview Munchak

The #Browns have put in an interview request for #Colts DC Matt Eberflus, source said. One of the rising stars of this season.

Per PFT, Browns request permission to interview Brian Flores

Other outlets spew the same recycled names of Gase, McDaniels, Toub, Bienemy, Matt Campbell, Lincoln Riley, and Bruce Arians.  No confirmations from CLE on any of these being asked to interview.  Dorsey did say in his PC this AM that he would keep the media informed of his interviews.  

Some interesting names on this list, some outliers that I wouldn't have considered, but have me looking them up for more info.

Adding another to the list:

Before #Vikings try to make interim OC Kevin Stefanski their full-time OC some competition: The #Browns have requested Stefanski for an HC interview.

So, what is our short list...

Williams

Kitchens

Campbell

Munchak

Eberflus

Sirianni

Stefanski

Riley

Flores

Bienemy

Ariens

McCarthy

Gase

Taub

McDaniels

+whomever else Dorsey is keeping secret

Can we eliminate Condeleezza Rice???  HFS...:lmao:

I didnt get to see much of the game cause I was working, and just saw a replay of the Lamar Jackson goaline fumble.

Wow, it is absolutely amazing on how many enormous game changing plays get called incorrectly that absolutely screw us time and time again.

2 hours ago, Peak said:

Rooney Rule.  :lmao:

Could always see if Hue wants to help out in that regard, although we did request Flores (not Bienemy yet, which I find interesting).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

You gonna try to convince me that Baker wont have a pretty huge say in some of the hires?

Mainly, in keeping Kitchens around?

Baker hasn't been around the league long enough to know any of these guys well enough to have a meaningful opinion.

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Baker hasn't been around the league long enough to know any of these guys well enough to have a meaningful opinion.

He can simply vouch for the guy that turned him into college Baker.

I think it'd carry some weight

4 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

He can simply vouch for the guy that turned him into college Baker.

I think it'd carry some weight

That sounds a little different to me than “pretty huge say”. 

i think Dorsey is trolling the NFL.  

he seems like a guy who has a plan.  

2 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i think Dorsey is trolling the NFL.  

Of course. He had Mayfield as his QB months before the draft, Im certain of it.

The HC has likely been lined up for a while too.

I'd LOVE to see Arians HC, w Kitchens as OC... No idea about the DC, as I think Gregg moves on.. But id love him to stay

Of course. He had Mayfield as his QB months before the draft, Im certain of it.>>>> 

Dorsey said Mayfield was his guy long before he told anyone and reports had him as his top QB before he got hired by the Browns

The HC has likely been lined up for a while too.>>> 

Dorsey also said he had a list of potential HC candidates the year he was unemployed but it isn't quite like holding the #1 pick in the draft where he just takes his guy.  

I'd LOVE to see Arians HC, w Kitchens as OC... No idea about the DC, as I think Gregg moves on.. But id love him to stay >>>> 

Seems like Greg Williams is not 'the guy'. 

I have no idea who we'll eventually wind up with but the Jets fired Todd Bowles.  He was/is a hell of a DC if he would come back as a DC.  He was a genius in Arizona in how he used big safeties and multiple DBs over less mobile LBers.  He was so successful concocting that scheme that they have kept it.

We have to figure out a way to stop that Baltimore running attack.  No one has figured it out yet and they are rolling over everyone they face.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I don't want William's back as DC.  

he did a fantastic job as interim HC, but he’s proven himself to be a mediocre DC. 

his defenses run very hot and cold.  

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

I mentioned the KC coordinator Eric Bieniemy because I have followed him but did you know the two previous KC OCs went onto be NFL HCs?

Doug Peterson - won a SuperBowl

Matt Nagy - coached the Bears to the playoffs in his first year

Seems like Andy Reid knows how to pick coaches.

Reid calls the plays, I think sleeping with Be-Enemy is learning on the job, feels way too early to hire him as a HC

Hope the browns get it right. McCarthy is a maybe for me, Arians would be ok as well....Greg Williams should be gone....

Biggest issue for Baker I think is to get him stability and consistency so he can grow properly.

5 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Reid calls the plays, I think sleeping with Be-Enemy is learning on the job, feels way too early to hire him as a HC

Hope the browns get it right. McCarthy is a maybe for me, Arians would be ok as well....Greg Williams should be gone....

Biggest issue for Baker I think is to get him stability and consistency so he can grow properly.

I don't know who John Dorsey has/had his eyes on but EB is someone who I felt would get an interview.  They Jets 'reportedly' have him scheduled for an interview.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc Sessler‏Verified account @MarcSesslerNFL

Interview requests via our coaching tracker:

Jets: Eric Bieniemy

Browns: Freddie Kitchens, Gregg Williams, Dan Campbell, Brian Flores, Matt Eberflus (and presumably Mike McCarthy and Adam Gase)

Packers: Josh McDaniels, Flores, Campbell

9:23 AM - 31 Dec 2018

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EB played in the league longer than I would have given him a chance and he has done well everywhere he's gotten an opportunity to coach.  I'd be much more intrigued with some unknown with upside like him over a retread like a Jim Caldwell who Dorsey 'reportedly' had an interest.  

If you had to choose one of the guys on the list Dorsey is set to interview ....  who?  I honestly don't have any idea.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns have "no plans" to interview Adam Gase for their head-coaching vacancy.

The Miami Herald had called Gase to the Browns a "very, very real possibility" but evidently that's not the case. The Plain Dealer does report Gase has "at least" three other interviews lined up. That has been widely reported, but teams other than the Cardinals have yet to emerge. Gase's agent is doing good media work.

Edited by Soulfly3

22 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Lots of teams are kicking the tires on EB.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Bieniemy lines up four interviews over next three days

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

#Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy is set to interview with two teams today -- #Jets and #Bucs. He’ll do his #Dolphins interview tomorrow. The #Bengals interview is Friday, following Vance Joseph’s today. He’s elected to not take the #AZCardinals interview. Four is plenty.

6:05 AM - 2 Jan 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------

He had to turn down one interview.  Playoff teams who are on BYE weeks can allow coaches to interview during this time period.  

An NFL HC interview is intense.  I actually saw Gary Kubiak on his plane ride home after he interviewed with the Browns back in January of 1999 on his BYE week as OC of the Broncos and he looked like he had been dragged through the ringer.  I went up and shook his hand and wished him luck but I knew from the look on his face that he stood no chance to get that job.  

So you don't just get out your most expensive suit, pop in a breath mint and then set it on cruise control.  These interviews are intense.  They want extensive plans on how you as a HC candidate are going to turn around a franchise or address festering problems.  John Dorsey said he wanted full plans on what a HC would do for the Browns.

EB is going on FOUR interviews in three days and he's still got to install his game plan and run meetings, scout teams/players/tendencies.  He had to turn down an opportunity just to fit in other interviews.  Meanwhile Dorsey is conducting interviews.  I'm not saying that EB is on the docket but this week would not be optimal if Dorsey wanted an in-depth interview.  

If this thing drags out then Dorsey's guy might be on the staff of a team who is still in the playoffs and EB seems like the hottest name right now with four scheduled interviews and one team who he had to turn down.  If he wants to take his time to prepare for his biggest interview he 'may' have wanted to push that off and hone his pitch and Dorsey 'may' have the comfort of having an 'Ace-in-the-hole' for his final interview before he makes his decision.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

I have no idea who we'll eventually wind up with but the Jets fired Todd Bowles.  He was/is a hell of a DC if he would come back as a DC.  He was a genius in Arizona in how he used big safeties and multiple DBs over less mobile LBers.  He was so successful concocting that scheme that they have kept it.

If Arians is hired there is a great chance he would bring Bowles around as they love each other. If the Browns hire another coach, Bowles could be in New England if their DC leaves. When they met at mid-field after the Week 17 game you could see Belichick mouth "we'll call you" to Bowles. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If Arians is hired there is a great chance he would bring Bowles around as they love each other. If the Browns hire another coach, Bowles could be in New England if their DC leaves. When they met at mid-field after the Week 17 game you could see Belichick mouth "we'll call you" to Bowles

Did you really see that?  

We were all wondering what the long embrace and conversation was between Greg Williams and John Harbaugh after the final game.  It went on longer than any post-game convo I'd ever seen between two HCs and if Belichick said that to Bowles then that would have to qualify as one of the longest post-game BB conversations, lol.  Kidding but your point about Bowles connections to Arians is right and a point in favor of Arians IMHO.  I really like Bowles as a DC if he would come back as a DC.

24 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Did you really see that?  

I did not see it but that's what I've read from other Jet fans that did.