Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

38 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Where do most coaching hires come from?  Coordinators and positional coaches.  Look around the league - how many "experienced coaches" are currently out there?  7, and one of them is freakin Gruden.  If Dorsey wasn't bringing in someone from Kansas City I'm not going to question it.  The names we kept hearing over and over again in November and December - they're rooted in buddy-buddy relationships with certain media members then spread because they're the only names out there.  Ultimately this hire was probably going to come from downstream, so if you're not blown away by the downstream options on other teams why wouldn't you just pick the one you're already familiar with (and like!)?

Not sure exactly what I said that got this response. I don’t think you pieced together the posts over the last 24 hrs (not your fault, blame FBG). 

I’m fine hiring a coordinator and was not pushing for a retread in general or a specific one. 

I am curious about Taub though. Something will surface.

5 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Not sure exactly what I said that got this response. I don’t think you pieced together the posts over the last 24 hrs (not your fault, blame FBG). 

I’m fine hiring a coordinator and was not pushing for a retread in general or a specific one. 

I am curious about Taub though. Something will surface.

"I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him"  

Of the options available I think this is the least scary route.  I have absolutely no clue if it has the highest ceiling.  But there's no more reason to be concerned about this than any other potential setup.

11 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

I like it for the stability for baker n the off.......dont like it because a head coach has more responsibility than just the offense......lets see what he does with the defense

He's not being promoted to handle the defense.  He's being promoted to lead and hold the locker room together.  I'm sure he will remain heavily involved on the offensive side of the ball - and I'd be surprised if anyone else calls plays.  But someone else will be responsible for the defense.

• Like 1

I actually thought there was a chance Gregg Williams would stick around as DC. I mean, why not? It can't be a pride thing, he knows he's not getting a HC job elsewhere, why not stay where he is coming off a pretty successful job? Unless the Browns just wanted him gone altogether.

1 minute ago, travdogg said:

I actually thought there was a chance Gregg Williams would stick around as DC. I mean, why not? It can't be a pride thing, he knows he's not getting a HC job elsewhere, why not stay where he is coming off a pretty successful job? Unless the Browns just wanted him gone altogether.

that's like marrying your girlfriend and letting your ex-wife live in the same house with the two of you.

2 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Being demoted and now needing to report to someone who used to be below you on the org chart is asking for avoidable problems.  It could also just be the last part.  His defense while entertaining at times wasn't consistently effective for a variety of somewhat predictable reasons. And I'll never forgive him for the asinine way he deployed Peppers last year.

• Like 1

PatMcManamon‏Verified account @PatMcManamon

Usual challenges ahead, but there’s very little not to like about Browns hiring Freddie Kitchens. He’s confident, aggressive, open-minded and he earned the job the old-fashioned way, by working for it. #Browns

10:04 AM - 9 Jan 2019

-----------------------------------

NFL Films Presents: Freddie Kitchens

Edited by Bracie Smathers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

"I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him"  

Of the options available I think this is the least scary route.  I have absolutely no clue if it has the highest ceiling.  But there's no more reason to be concerned about this than any other potential setup.

I agree if your talking about the 7 interviewed. 

Dorsey decided to latch onto Freddie before this process started. That’s why he got the 7 in house that he got. I like that Dorsey has balls of steel and a strong sense of conviction. He’s also a power player and doesn’t let someone like McCarthy sway him. 

Its also interesting hearing Depodesta and the analytics guys were pushing for Stefanski. So the 2nd interview wasn’t a marraige proposal, it was the analytics guys getting a last shot.

Football, and Cleveland, wins the day. 

57 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I agree if your talking about the 7 interviewed. 

Dorsey decided to latch onto Freddie before this process started. That’s why he got the 7 in house that he got. I like that Dorsey has balls of steel and a strong sense of conviction. He’s also a power player and doesn’t let someone like McCarthy sway him. 

Its also interesting hearing Depodesta and the analytics guys were pushing for Stefanski. So the 2nd interview wasn’t a marraige proposal, it was the analytics guys getting a last shot.

Football, and Cleveland, wins the day. 

I'm talking about all of them.  I'd be a whole lot more concerned had we brought in McCarthy or Gase - and to a lesser degree, McDaniels.  The rest?  I would have been surprised if an interesting enough college coach thought about jumping, so that left...coordinators and Arians.

Where'd you get that nugget about DePodesta and Stefanski?  Needed to do some actual work, so I checked out for a bit.

3 hours ago, amnesiac said:

bold. 

but makes sense. if they wanted a younger up and coming coach (unproven), why gamble on some other team’s guy?  go with the one you already know.  

whether it works or not, should be entertaining.  

Kitchens makes sense.  The O took off under him.  Now Cleveland needs to find a solid DC and let that DC have a lot of control over that unit.  That will let Kitchens focus on the O while running the team. 

2 hours ago, amnesiac said:

that's like marrying your girlfriend and letting your ex-wife live in the same house with the two of you.

I used to know someone that did that. Woman remarried, living in house with husband, ex husband and their 2 kids.

2 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

I saw that tweet about "Pencil Pushers" and who they wanted, but I also saw that Stefanski was on Dorsey's list as well.  So he has some things going for him.

Interesting tweet that should help calm some people in regards to the interviewing team and their kumbaya moment....

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

Biggest takeaway, aside from everyone agreeing on the hire, is that Kitchens will report directly to Dorsey.  Helps alleviate the concern over the old reporting structure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Where'd you get that nugget about DePodesta and Stefanski?  Needed to do some actual work, so I checked out for a bit.

Not sure how substantiated it is. Wkyc, PFT, local radio...have all mentioned it.

6 minutes ago, Peak said:

I saw that tweet about "Pencil Pushers" and who they wanted, but I also saw that Stefanski was on Dorsey's list as well.  So he has some things going for him.

Interesting tweet that should help calm some people in regards to the interviewing team and their kumbaya moment....

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

Biggest takeaway, aside from everyone agreeing on the hire, is that Kitchens will report directly to Dorsey.  Helps alleviate the concern over the old reporting structure.

Stefanski has ties to Dorsey right? I’m not saying Dorsey didn’t like him. I think that’s how he got 2 interviews and ended up being a realistic option. Just sounds like the two sides differed when a decision needed to be made...and that’s not a bad thing either.

Great news about the HC reporting to Dorsey. Almost the best news of the day.

I wanted us to keep Kitch but wasn't sure about him as the HC but I'm sold.  Marla wanted him as the HC, this from December.

Marla Ridenour: Keeping Freddie Kitchens, preserving synergy with Baker Mayfield must be priority for Browns

When it comes to the future of the Browns and the development of quarterback Baker Mayfield, keeping Freddie Kitchens should be a top priority.

Even if it means naming him coach.

Right now, in the growing pool of rumored candidates... Kitchens would be my choice.

On Monday, Browns General Manager John Dorsey said “a mark of a good coach is being able to create a relationship with a player, especially at that position.”

... the trust between Mayfield and Kitchens feels special and might not be easily replicated. There is a playfulness to their relationship, but also an underlying bond of mutual respect.

Peter King >>> “Given the success of Freddie Kitchens as offensive coordinator — Baker Mayfield loves him and responds to him — my sense is the Browns feel they don’t have to get the next great offensive brain to work with Mayfield and develop an offensive identity,” King said. “They might have that guy now.

...Dorsey acknowledged that Kitchens “has moved the bar on the offensive side of the ball,” which is amplified by the lack of creativity that has dogged the Browns for years. As former offensive coordinator Brad Childress said in early 2012 when that problem was brought up, “Have people stopped eating cereal?”

It will be even tougher to go back to Cheerios now.

...A major reason for Mayfield’s improvement after the coaching change was his synergy with Kitchens. To continue that arc that seemingly has no bounds, Kitchens must stay.

Note the quote from Brad Childress if his name comes up for the OC position.

One thing Ktichens must do... Make the playoffs.

NFL Head Coaches Hired In The Last Decade: What the Data Says

...Reaching the playoffs gives you almost an extra two-and-a-half seasons of leeway, on average. Coaches that didn’t reach the playoffs during their tenure lasted for 2.1 seasons. Coaches that reached the playoffs during their tenure lasted about 4.4 seasons.

We need stability and success and that has to start this year with Kitchens.

Create your success Freddy.  Make the playoffs!

46 minutes ago, Peak said:

So Gregg and Blake Williams are out....

Amos is out....

Zampese is out....

Lindley, Wylie, and Henry are staying (all of which did a good job, so no reason to be shown the door)

Spoke too soon on Wylie........Rip "Hut!"

Browns let Williams and others go this afternoon....

Other coaches have already been told they’re being let go, including quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, special teams coordinator Amos Jones, offensive line coach Bob Wylie, linebackers coach Blake Williams, assistant defensive backs Jerod Kruse, tight ends coach Greg Seamon, assistant defensive backs coach Jerod Kruse, offensive quality control coach Brian Braswell, offensive assistant Bob Saunders, assistant offensive line coach Mark Hutson, defensive quality control coach Eric Sanders, and special teams assistant Josh Cribbs.

Thought Cribbs might stay around to keep learning, but I guess not.  Dorsey and Freddie need to go out and find the Best ST Coach and pay him big to join the staff.  Boyer maybe?

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

Kitchens makes sense.  The O took off under him.  Now Cleveland needs to find a solid DC and let that DC have a lot of control over that unit.  That will let Kitchens focus on the O while running the team. 

That concept worked very well for the defending world champs. Schwartz was actually hired prior to the HC and given total control over the defense which enabled inexperienced Pederson to focus exclusively on the offense and developing Wentz. Unique situation but not completely dissimilar to the current Browns’ situation and the characters involved

• Like 1

Would have preferred Arians for a bridge to Kitchens but maybe they were afraid that he would be stolen from them in a year or 2. Team is going to put up points and I don't think Kitchens is the type of guy that thinks any lead is big enough. I know Mayfield isn't.

Just now, lod001 said:

Would have preferred Arians for a bridge to Kitchens but maybe they were afraid that he would be stolen from them in a year or 2. Team is going to put up points and I don't think Kitchens is the type of guy that thinks any lead is big enough. I know Mayfield isn't.

The Arians to Kitchens bridge was a fun narrative, but lacked practicality. If things went well then Freddie is gone next year. And Arians isnt coming in for a one year cameo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

The Arians to Kitchens bridge was a fun narrative, but lacked practicality. If things went well then Freddie is gone next year. And Arians isnt coming in for a one year cameo. 

Understood.

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Kind of like the keep it the same narrative (or move Gregg back to DC and Freddie HC). Had some fun with it thru week 17, but if you really sit back and look at the big picture, none of it made much sense. 

I heard/read today (can’t recall where) that if we didn’t hire Freddie as HC, teams still sitting around were going to pounce. Nobody requested Freddie for a HC interview...but a team or 2 coulda been laying in the weeds. So we might not even had another year with him as OC. Could you imagine the outrage if we hired Stefanski and Freddie ended up as the Bengals HC?

Edited by Bobcat10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Create your success Freddy.  Make the playoffs!

i know it’s your schtick to misspell everyone’s name, but could you at least get the Brown’s HC correct?

7 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i know it’s your schtick to misspell everyone’s name, but could you at least get the Brown’s HC correct?

So sorry dude.  Freddie.  

Quid pro quo.

Shtick, I mean if you are going for the title of the the spelling policeman.

------------------

Greg Williams gives a tip of the hat and he deserves one as well for having a winning record.  

CLICK LINK

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

A message from former #Browns interim coach Gregg Williams to the people of Cleveland

3:14 PM - 9 Jan 2019

---------------------

Baker Mayfield getting a dig into Fox Sports Tweet

3 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

So sorry dude.  Freddie.  

Quid pro quo.

Shtick, I mean if you are going for the title of the the spelling policeman.

------------------

Greg Williams gives a tip of the hat and he deserves one as well for having a winning record.  

CLICK LINK

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

A message from former #Browns interim coach Gregg Williams to the people of Cleveland

3:14 PM - 9 Jan 2019

---------------------

Baker Mayfield getting a dig into Fox Sports Tweet

you literally do it all the time. 

you just spelled “Gregg” incorrectly. 

no way you get it all wrong that much accidentally. 

i do generally enjoy your takes though. 

no offense meant. 

As a Browns season ticket holder, I'm happy with them choosing Freddie.  I would have preferred an experienced and defensive guru as HC and force them to keep Freddie but that isn't very fair to the new HC and probably would be hard to make work.  I think it is now critical for Kitchens to go find his defensive guru, hopefully an experienced coach who can be a strong assistant for Freddie to lean on.

8 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

As a Browns season ticket holder

How many tickets?

Are you willing to ever part with a pair of them for a traveller from Canada (me)?

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

How many tickets?

Are you willing to ever part with a pair of them for a traveller from Canada (me)?

Me and a buddy splitting 4. So I personally have 2 but access to the other 2. I’m in Chicago and he’s in Arizona, so I got you covered for any game you want, brother!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Me and a buddy splitting 4. So I personally have 2 but access to the other 2. I’m in Chicago and he’s in Arizona, so I got you covered for any game you want, brother!!

:thumbup: Very cool of you.  Probably made SD's day and I hope he gets to see Baker live before we build a Northern wall because seeing Baker live at the stadium is a thrill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

How many tickets?

'traveler' before the grammar Nazi's jump :thumbup:

Maybe it's me and my out-of-date notebook but did we know SD was in Canada? I feel like this is fairly significant.

5 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Maybe it's me and my out-of-date notebook but did we know SD was in Canada? I feel like this is fairly significant.

Always assumed Buffalo due to his AV.  That's in Canada, right? 

Is SD me? Im confused. 

Yes Im in Canada, just over the border. 

Appreciate the hookup on the tix @rythmdoctor, ill let you know when there's a game/time im available to go and we'll talk. ;

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Is SD me? Im confused. 

Brain fart.  Many users have the ubiquitous DAWG in their name.  We have the Dawg Pound not a FLY-Pound.  A poster on another board used to go by SoulDawg.  

Many times when I see your nick I automatically think SD instead of SF.

5 hours ago, Peak said:

Always assumed Buffalo due to his AV.  That's in Canada, right? 

Meh, same thing.

Saw a headline from Bleacher Report they are talking to Vance Joseph about DC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Saw a headline from Bleacher Report they are talking to Vance Joseph about DC.

Former Broncos’ HC Vance Joseph interviewed in Arizona today for the Cardinals’ DC job, and is then going to Cleveland to interview for same job with Browns, per source.

Rapoport also reporting that Vance might visit the Jets after Cleveland - However, it's rumored that Gregg Williams has a bead on that job.

Wouldn't mind Joseph, altho I like Pagano as well.

Thinking about the situation, I also wouldn't mind going with a young, innovative DC as well.  If we're going to do this, let's go all the way!  Grab Kris Richard from Dallas and get this thing started!!

Edited by Peak
foolish ramblings
  • Like 1

OC name being kicked around.

----------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Ian Rapoport

The fit with the Browns would be spectacular. Monken heading up the Jags offense would be... interesting. Was their WR coach back in the Matt Jones/Reggie Williams days

Sigmund Bloom added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

After impressing the #Jets in head-coach interviews, former #Bucs OC Todd Monken will interview with the #Browns for their vacant OC job this weekend, source said. He also spoke with #Jaguars about their vacant OC job.

8:28 AM - 10 Jan 2019

👎Do not agree with this ranking even with explanation.

2019 QB Confidence Index: Rating NFL quarterback situations 1-32

... This is not intended as a ranking of each team's starting quarterback (though obviously that's a big part of it). It is intended as an assessment of each team's confidence in its quarterback situation as a whole. That means it takes into account the depth chart at the position, the starter's age and health history, etc. 

Go to the link to see where they ranked the Browns QB confidence situation.

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

OC name being kicked around.

----------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Ian Rapoport

The fit with the Browns would be spectacular. Monken heading up the Jags offense would be... interesting. Was their WR coach back in the Matt Jones/Reggie Williams days

Sigmund Bloom added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

After impressing the #Jets in head-coach interviews, former #Bucs OC Todd Monken will interview with the #Browns for their vacant OC job this weekend, source said. He also spoke with #Jaguars about their vacant OC job.

8:28 AM - 10 Jan 2019

👎Do not agree with this ranking even with explanation.

2019 QB Confidence Index: Rating NFL quarterback situations 1-32

Go to the link to see where they ranked the Browns QB confidence situation.

Dak, Carr and Dalton are way higher than they should be.

9 hours ago, Peak said:

Yes!

The opposite of JB Cooter. 

Anyone else getting an OC interview? I’ve been out of the loop today besides the Cooter and Monken news. 

Any thoughts on why the Browns haven't confirmed Kitchen's hiring? Kind of strange they have been silent since this was reported 

11 hours ago, Brownsfan said:

Any thoughts on why the Browns haven't confirmed Kitchen's hiring? Kind of strange they have been silent since this was reported 

Legal wrangling of the contract?  Timed for maximum marketing impact?  Maybe teams wait in line to announce so that everyone has a day and they aren't stepping on each other's toes.  I dunno but he's working the phones putting his staff together.

Zac Jackson‏Verified account @AkronJackson 13h13 hours ago

I don’t know the details/reasons on the holdup on the official announcement, but I do know Freddie Kitchens has been working to hire assistants. And there’s progress there on multiple fronts. No siren emoji necessary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Legal wrangling of the contract?  Timed for maximum marketing impact?  Maybe teams wait in line to announce so that everyone has a day and they aren't stepping on each other's toes.  I dunno but he's working the phones putting his staff together.

Zac Jackson‏Verified account @AkronJackson 13h13 hours ago

I don’t know the details/reasons on the holdup on the official announcement, but I do know Freddie Kitchens has been working to hire assistants. And there’s progress there on multiple fronts. No siren emoji necessary.

likely contract details.

gotta figure he went from RB coach to Head coach, they're hammering out something fair for both sides.  he shouldn't be paid like a top end HC with experience.

not sure why they would wait until he has the staff put together, but maybe that's part of it too?

14 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Anyone else getting an OC interview? I’ve been out of the loop today besides the Cooter and Monken news. 

Have not heard of any other OC candidates yet...

For DC, I have heard Pagano, Joseph, and Wilks.  Three very interesting options, each with their own flair (consistent to aggressive).  

10 minutes ago, Peak said:

Have not heard of any other OC candidates yet...

For DC, I have heard Pagano, Joseph, and Wilks.  Three very interesting options, each with their own flair (consistent to aggressive).  

what type of defense do you think would compliment the Browns offense the best?  

assuming the offense can replicate or possibly improve what they did in the second half of the 2018 season.

1 minute ago, amnesiac said:

what type of defense do you think would compliment the Browns offense the best?  

I get the DC hire chronologically comes first, but it depends on what's done with personnel this off season.  I expect Jamie Collins to get whacked and the front 7 to be a priority in wave 1 of free agency.  I suspect the preferred DC target best fits whatever Dorsey has in mind for March.