What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

i’ve been trying to digest the Kareem Hunt signing. 

seems unnessary, and almost feels like a “i’m smarter than everyone else” move. 

hope he’s a model citizen and helps the team, but i have a feeling this will end poorly.  

Seems brilliant to me.  Talented player at a cheap cost, and they don't have to rely on him because of the other talent already on the roster.  I mean, morally, kind of an awful statement to make, but it's always been that way.  If you can play you'll have a home. 

hope he’s a model citizen and helps the team, but i have a feeling this will end poorly.  
I get that optics of the move look bad but lets be big boys here, somebody was going to sign him. I'm with you and hope the kid "gets it" but also like you I don't think he will.

With that said I think, from a Browns business decision, it's a great move. Signed arguably one of the top 5 RB's in the league for minimum money keeping him off of someone else's roster, you get him as a RFA and if things do go sideways, you bail on him having confidence he won't be back in the NFL again.

With that said I think, from a Browns business decision, it's a great move. Signed arguably one of the top 5 RB's in the league for minimum money keeping him off of someone else's roster, you get him as a RFA and if things do go sideways, you bail on him having confidence he won't be back in the NFL again.
This is where I'm at right now.  It's a good business signing.  If he works out, that will be a dangerous backfield with Hunt and Chubb with Baker.  If it doesn't, nothing lost by the team with the minimal investment.  And if he doesn't want to return after the season, then there's a chance for a comp pick in the next draft.  It was a win/win situation in that regard.  Now the negative publicity that was bound to come with this is the main drawback.  However, this team has had its name drug through the mud so often, it wouldn't be an NFL off season if CLE wasn't in the news for something stupid.  Dorsey did it right by doing this now and then letting the fervor of FA and the Draft wash the news away over the next two months.

Greg Robinson didn't allow a single sack last year and the Browns ran well in his direction. Is it possible that things "clicked" with him while everyone was comparing him to Tony Mandarich and other busts?

Greg Robinson didn't allow a single sack last year and the Browns ran well in his direction. Is it possible that things "clicked" with him while everyone was comparing him to Tony Mandarich and other busts?
Baker likes him.  To me, that means he and Baker have some chemistry -- Baker knows where he's going to be, who he's blocking how.  It's nice synergy!

I love the Hunt signing.  I see no downside.  The PR potential downside is very minimal because if ANYTHING goes wrong with Hunt we just cut him.  

Obviously Dorsey knows Hunt well personally, and feels fairly confident he can keep it together for a while.

I have said it before, I root for a team who plays a game.  I dont know any of these people personally.  I would rather take 53 guys right out of prison and win a title than have 53 perfect saints and go 6-10. 

Now go trade for OBJ and let's have some fun.

I love the Hunt signing.  I see no downside.  The PR potential downside is very minimal because if ANYTHING goes wrong with Hunt we just cut him.  

Obviously Dorsey knows Hunt well personally, and feels fairly confident he can keep it together for a while.

I have said it before, I root for a team who plays a game.  I dont know any of these people personally.  I would rather take 53 guys right out of prison and win a title than have 53 perfect saints and go 6-10. 

Now go trade for OBJ and let's have some fun.
There is some downside, but IMO, it’s very minimal.  It seems like there is much more upside.  If Chubb doesn’t pan out & Himt does, win.  If Chubb plays great, you have a great backup, can trade Hunt, or can try to recoup some draft picks when you tender Hunt as a RFA.

Only real downside is if he is some kind of locker room issue, and I would hope Cle would be proactive if that’s the case.

BREAKING NEWS

----------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak 2h2 hours ago

Can confirm VP of player personnel Andrew Berry has left #Browns for front office job with #Eagles. Was part of old Cleveland regime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Chief Strategy Office Paul DePodesta, also part of the Sashi Brown regime, is expected to stay in Cleveland even though Andrew Berry is leaving for a promotion with the #Eagles

6:36 AM - 25 Feb 2019

BREAKING NEWS

----------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak 2h2 hours ago

Can confirm VP of player personnel Andrew Berry has left #Browns for front office job with #Eagles. Was part of old Cleveland regime.
Not too concerned with the Berry loss, as I think the kitchen was already a little too crowded with Hightower, Wolf, Dorsey.  Berry was the odd man out and it was a matter of time.

The loss that has me a little concerned is the loss of the Browns Cap guy, Brandon Sosna.  He went back to UC as a Director of Finance, or something like that....Who's the new guy now managing the cap and all this FA $$ the team needs to spend in March?

Robinson will be protecting Baker's blindside for at least one more season.  Browns and Robinson agree on a 1 year deal for 2019.  Would've like to seen him sign longer term, but perhaps it's a "show us 2018 wasn't a fluke" kind of deal?  I keep hearing Harrison has talent, but would like for him to take more time learning - besides, Robinson seems to have resurrected his career in 2018.  Let's see if he's really got that 1st rnd talent, and if so, sign him long term.

Robinson will be protecting Baker's blindside for at least one more season.  Browns and Robinson agree on a 1 year deal for 2019.  Would've like to seen him sign longer term, but perhaps it's a "show us 2018 wasn't a fluke" kind of deal?  I keep hearing Harrison has talent, but would like for him to take more time learning - besides, Robinson seems to have resurrected his career in 2018.  Let's see if he's really got that 1st rnd talent, and if so, sign him long term.
If Robinson thinks he can get that big contract then it makes sense for both sides to agree to a show-me one year deal.  He isn't going to get that deal based on what he did in a partial 2018.  It also gives Harrison a year to show how much he's developed.  Then the team can make a more informed decision on the position a year from now.

EDIT: and if it was a fluke then the team can wash their hands of him without penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robinson is only 26. A #2 overall pick. If he works at it, he can command a huge new contract. Exactly what was his problem on the Rams? Forget the Lions stint, no one can protect Stafford adequately.

All signs are pointing as this is Robinson betting on himself with the 1 year deal.  Read CLE offered him both a 1yr deal and 3yr deal.  GRob took the 1yr deal betting that he'll have another good year and try to cash in on that next year.  That's good to see, but CLE should also be looking at his replacement should he make good on that bet and jettison for the highest bidder next season.

All signs are pointing as this is Robinson betting on himself with the 1 year deal.  Read CLE offered him both a 1yr deal and 3yr deal.  GRob took the 1yr deal betting that he'll have another good year and try to cash in on that next year.  That's good to see, but CLE should also be looking at his replacement should he make good on that bet and jettison for the highest bidder next season.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe teams typically carry more than 8 OL.  Unless Hubbard gets whacked before March 15 we already have 7.  This strikes me as a case of sign someone(s) wave 2 for mostly non gtd $, take a shot on someone day 3 of the draft, knowing only one of them will see the roster Sep 1, then if none one of them are inspiring much confidence mine the scrap heap like last season and post Sep 1 cuts then see if you can uncover another Robinson.  If somebody falls that shouldn't then by all means draft a BPA, but given the state of offensive tackles throughout the league I feel comfortable saying that won't happen.  I think this position only becomes any sorta priority if Hubbard gets cut before his gtd kicks in.  

This offseason's priorities will probably be on the other side of the ball, especially in March.  I'm curious how much of our resources are devoted to WR and TE though.  I think those banging the table for a big move in March will be disappointed, but maybe there are potential trades I haven't considered.  I think one or two acquisitions in the first 120 picks or so in April are most likely.

Heard some numbers this afternoon, $7.4m guaranteed with a shot at $9m with incentives. What's a typical LT make in the league? Not a position I typically follow when it comes to $$$. And really, who the #### cares? Browns have $ to burn right now, hope it works out. Seems like he developed a nice rapport with Mayfield last year.

Some impressive stuff coming out of the combine this weekend. 40 times are insane these days. You got a DL running a 40 faster than Odell Beckham did? C'mon man!

Just want to go on record and say I want nothing to do with DK Metcalf, think he's fools good. Reminds me a lot of Vernon Davis. Rather focus on defense.

DK has a place - it's just not early round 1.  He could be a great role player, but barring quantitative changes if he's asked to be the guy then he'll probably fail.

Just want to go on record and say I want nothing to do with DK Metcalf, think he's fools good. Reminds me a lot of Vernon Davis. Rather focus on defense.
He reminds me a lot of David Boston.  Plus his lateral moves/times were SSSSSLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW.  Really surprised by that coming from a WR.

I want nothing to do with DK Metcalf,
Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf finished with a bottom-two percentile score in the 3-cone drill.

Metcalf (6'3/228) absolutely smashed the NFL Combine still after running a 4.33 40-yard dash at 228 pounds, but we can't ignore the terrible agility numbers here. Even at yesterday's press conference, Metcalf said that the Washington Redskins' staff said that he has to get better getting out of his breaks, which is something the 3-cone drill would measure. With elite straight-line speed and horrendous agility, Metcalf's athletic profile is wild, but there are routes where Metcalf will have corners shaking in fear. Let's hope that Metcalf lands on a team that will give him a chance to join the elites.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout

As much as we talked about DK Metcalf's amazing 40, vert and weigh-in we also have to talk about his fail level short shuttle and 3-cone. A frame that big and that tight cannot bend or change direction--which is an important part of playing wide receiver.

5:47 AM - 3 Mar 2019

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout

As much as we talked about DK Metcalf's amazing 40, vert and weigh-in we also have to talk about his fail level short shuttle and 3-cone. A frame that big and that tight cannot bend or change direction--which is an important part of playing wide receiver.

5:47 AM - 3 Mar 2019
:goodposting: Exactly, he's too damn big!

You want a WR? Grab one of the Ohio State boys if any are left in Round 2.

We've now entered the rumor week heading into FA and the new League Year.  Plenty of cryptic tweets and emojis flying from players starting last night.

Dorsey isn't one to stay quiet heading into FA.  Last year he made quite a few trades heading into FA signing.  Will he do it again?

Does Duke get moved?  What about Peppers?

Does Dorsey go after OBJ?  What about Dee Ford or Frank Clark?

Interesting time of the year when you have a wheelin' and dealin' GM in your FO.  

:popcorn:

A friend of mine texted me last night and said twitter was blowing up about OBJ to the Browns.  I do not use twitter, so I have no idea what he was talking about.  

I'm sure he'll be active, but I'm also sure nothing swirling around right now has an ounce of substance to it.  Like most big Dorsey news, last year's Friday afternoon flood came without notice.  

A friend of mine texted me last night and said twitter was blowing up about OBJ to the Browns.  I do not use twitter, so I have no idea what he was talking about.  
Good thing you use FBG so we can deliver all the news to you from Twitter!  lol

I didn't follow it too much last night....but apparently there was a good number of Browns players actively tweeting around the same time.  Some tweets tied to Dorsey.  Some were cryptic.  Maybe there is an article out there summarizing everything this morning.

Jarvis Landry: @bakermayfield so @RandallTime and @denzelward want some 1v1s, drop a pin!!

Jarvis Landry: Make sure your mind right and Come To Cleveland.. #DawgsGottaEat

Damarious Randall: John Dorsey lowkey a genius...

Dustin Fox retweeting Randall: Sup @obj

OBJ Tweeting a reply with a Crying/Smiley Face and Zippered Lips

There was more, but that's the jist of it.  Also some fun internet rumors of Von Miller coming to CLE due to the Browns putting up a video analysis Joe Thomas did on Miller.

More speculation of Duke and a 3rd to KC for Dee Ford.

Crazy times man....crazy times...

And Kyler Murray responding to that tweet by OBJ saying just "LIKEWISE" caused Arizona Cardinal fans to go nuts last night thinking they were getting Murray/Odell.

Twitter can be nuts and percentage of cryptic tweets that actually mean anything is so tiny. It's mainly just athletes pulling our chain but in this case it does seem like Cleveland is up to something and I absolutely believe Jay Glazer when it comes to Giants shopping Odell. But I feel if there was something more concrete at play right now it would have leaked out.

And Kyler Murray responding to that tweet by OBJ saying just "LIKEWISE" caused Arizona Cardinal fans to go nuts last night thinking they were getting Murray/Odell.

Twitter can be nuts and percentage of cryptic tweets that actually mean anything is so tiny. It's mainly just athletes pulling our chain but in this case it does seem like Cleveland is up to something and I absolutely believe Jay Glazer when it comes to Giants shopping Odell. But I feel if there was something more concrete at play right now it would have leaked out.
Definitely agree.  It's just fun to watch people go crazy over the cryptic messages.  I'm sure Dorsey is working on at least one trade, but I have no hopes of it being OBJ.  

But now Gruden going for Kyler, AB, and Leveon for Da Raiders sounds extremely possible!   :lmao:

Needed to happen.  If he goes somewhere else on a deal that will motivate him to put forth consistent effort and stick with the play then so be it.  Bellichik was right on this one.
It was needed and the easiest thing to call for the offseason.  Was just a matter of time.  Now we're ready for the unexpected!

And maybe Sashi was right too....

Needed to happen.  If he goes somewhere else on a deal that will motivate him to put forth consistent effort and stick with the play then so be it.  Bellichik was right on this one.
We got a decent year out of him :rolleyes: This was an easy one.

We have cap space.  We have a QB on a cheap deal.  We have extra mid round picks.  There are top end players under contract with other teams who want to deal those players for one reason or another.

We BETTER make a move and grab a top tier player.  Quit being afraid people.

obj and landry reuniting is the most obvious outcome ive seen in a long while.

you 100% make this move while baker costs literal peanuts. 

we're going deep this season. DEEP.

Hearing more legs on OBJ involving Zeitler, Ogbah, and some picks.  Giants may include another bad contract they want to get rid of this off-season.

Where there's smoke, there's fire....
Next week, if not earlier, is going to be so fun.

Two points I would like to make- If this rumored OBJ deal happens

1)both OBJ and Landry are already supreme talents at WR - these guys motivating/competing against each other daily might push them to new levels 

2) Chubb will rush for 2000 yards easy*** 

***I believe the Browns O line said they felt bad he didn’t get 1k and promised 2k this year - hope it wasn’t Zeitler that said it. 

As for OBJ, I want him here bad.  I think he would set our offense off.

However, if he commands multiple 1sts then no thanks.  If it came down to just pick 17 I really think I pull that trigger.

I am not sure what the max i would give would be, but i think mid 1st value is in that ballpark

Users who are viewing this thread