What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Hmnn.  Not sure how LB isn't deemed a pressing need.

Our entire linebacking corps looked much better with Danny Shelton at NT anchoring the LOS and containing blockers allowing the LBers to flow to the action.  When Shelton was at NT all three of our LBers ranked in the top-11.  This is from January of last year before we dealt Shelton and left a gap on our D-Line. 

NFL1000: Ranking the Top Inside Linebackers of 2017 Season NFL1000 SCOUTS JANUARY 10, 2018

Good right?  Well at the end of last year this is how PFF had our LBers ranked.

Pro Football Focus grades and rankings of our currently listed starting linebackers

Joe Schobert

• Grade 78.2 
  • Overall Rank #11 ✔️
Gerard Avery -

• Grade 54.9
  • Overall Rank #94 ❌
Christian Kirksey - 

• Grade  46.1
  • Overall Rank #85 ❌
We addressed DT with the Sheldon Richardson signing but he is more of 3 tech where Shelton was a 0 tech.  Shelton is currently an unsigned FA but I don't know if Dorsey wants to re-sign him.  I don't know how CBS shows us with a good or even average grade at LB when we've got Kirksey coming off a bad and injury year and Avery more as a situational pass rusher rather than three down starter on the outside.
I think betting on Kirksey bouncing back is reasonable.  Expecting Avery to become more than a subpackage player wouldn't be fair to him, but it's in the range of potential outcomes.  If he doesn't?  No big deal, nickel's the new base defense in this game anyway.  I think it's fair to say that as of right now our run D is a little light.  But I also think it's fair to say that if you're going to have a weakness in today's game then that's the area to be weak.

It'd be nice to beef up that unit later this month, but I also think we don't have to.  If there are better players on the DL, secondary, WR/TE, or OL available day two then pick them and start identifying LB's on day 3.  If the LB talent's optimal day 2 then pick one then and circle back around to those other positions day 3.  Because ultimately that's what day 3's about for us right now, competition for those last spots on the roster.  And it couldn't be more awesome writing that.

MAC_32 said:
I think betting on Kirksey bouncing back is reasonable.  Expecting Avery to become more than a subpackage player wouldn't be fair to him, but it's in the range of potential outcomes.  If he doesn't?  No big deal, nickel's the new base defense in this game anyway.  I think it's fair to say that as of right now our run D is a little light.  But I also think it's fair to say that if you're going to have a weakness in today's game then that's the area to be weak.

It'd be nice to beef up that unit later this month, but I also think we don't have to.  If there are better players on the DL, secondary, WR/TE, or OL available day two then pick them and start identifying LB's on day 3.  If the LB talent's optimal day 2 then pick one then and circle back around to those other positions day 3.  Because ultimately that's what day 3's about for us right now, competition for those last spots on the roster.  And it couldn't be more awesome writing that.
Its reasonable to peg Kirksey into the D because their currently aren't any options.  LB isn't a cap priority so it is reasonable/hopeful that he bounces back.

Love Avery and the role he fills.  He's not a base 4-3 LBer but he's great gaining leverage, pushing back the pocket, creating pressure.  Luv Avery.

Dorsey addressed SS but Burnett didn't like being moved to box safety in GB and he hated being moved to a hybrid LB/SS box role in Pitt.  I thought Wilks might have gone with a 5-2 or with 5 DBs with a LB/SS box hybrid but we didn't sign Morgan Burnett to a two year deal with $4 million guaranteed to play him out of position.  I thought Wilks would try to replicate a Todd Bowles Arizona type of D but any chance of that went out the window when Dorsey signed Burnett.

SoulFly posted Drosey rumored to want to move back up into the 1st so he must have his eyes on some defender.  He hit on a couple of late 1st round corners in KC and that is a cap priority especially with $8 million going to TJ Carrie so...

PFF has Genard Avery as above average rushing the passer and against the run, but a disaster in coverage. He had the worst PFF coverage grade in the NFL at any position, and he dropped back into coverage 130 times (26% of his passing snaps).

PFF has Genard Avery as above average rushing the passer and against the run, but a disaster in coverage. He had the worst PFF coverage grade in the NFL at any position, and he dropped back into coverage 130 times (26% of his passing snaps).
But was he better than when Gregggggg had Shelton dropping back into coverage? 

PFF has Danny Shelton dropping into coverage 13 times in 2017 (vs. 130 for Avery in 2018), and has Shelton with a slightly below average coverage grade (vs. an abysmal grade for Avery). So the usage of Avery seems much worse. On the other hand, it is much funnier to have a 340 pounder dropping into coverage.

PFF has Danny Shelton dropping into coverage 13 times in 2017 (vs. 130 for Avery in 2018), and has Shelton with a slightly below average coverage grade (vs. an abysmal grade for Avery). So the usage of Avery seems much worse. On the other hand, it is much funnier to have a 340 pounder dropping into coverage.
Watching that thing drop back probably just made it seem like he dropped back more often. Kind of an attention grabber when it happened. And always resulted in a good belly laugh. 

that schedule is brutal.  all of the “easy” games are away. 
Reports saying the 'leaked schedule' is not legit.

https://twitter.com/DawgsByNature/status/1116896506353782784

Dawgs By Nature‏ @DawgsByNature  Dawgs By Nature Retweeted Peter John-Baptiste

Looks like the Browns schedule being posted is not real. Boooooo

Dawgs By Nature added,

Peter John-Baptiste @BrownsPJB Replying to @TheSchoGoesOn53 @DawgsByNature

It’s not but some people just got too much time on their hands. The passion is greatly appreciated. I can’t wait for the schedule release!

7:50 PM - 12 Apr 2019

-----------------------------------

Hey Amnesiac.

Good news.

The color rush jersey's you were asking about are trickling in and they open in a few hours.

---------------------------------

https://twitter.com/BrownsProShop/status/1116835047787593730

BrownsProShop‏ @BrownsProShop

Our first shipment has arrived to the Pro Shop at @FEStadium! Pickup only. More will arrive each month. OBJ set to arrive late May. We will be open Saturday 10am to 6pm and Sunday 10am-5pm. Limit 5 Color Rush Jerseys per transaction. No holds. Adult sizes only.

3:46 PM - 12 Apr 2019

BrownsProShop‏ @BrownsProShop 12h12 hours ago

Shipping options will be available in the coming weeks.

The entirety of the Browns 2019 schedule is as follows:

Sep. 9 vs. Tennessee Titans (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Sep. 16 at New York Jets (8:15 p.m. ET) ESPN

Sep. 22 vs. Los Angeles Rams (8:20 p.m. ET) NBC

Sep. 29 at Baltimore Ravens (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Oct. 7 at San Francisco 49ers (8:15 p.m. ET) ESPN

Oct. 13 vs. Seattle Seahawks (1 p.m. ET) FOX

BYE

Oct. 27 at New England Patriots (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 3 at Denver Broncos (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 10 vs. Buffalo Bills (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 14 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (8:20 p.m. ET) FOX/NFL Network/Amazon

Nov. 24 vs. Miami Dolphins (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 1 at Pittsburgh Steelers (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 8 vs. Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 15 at Arizona Cardinals (4:05 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 22 vs. Baltimore Ravens (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec 29 at Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m. ET) CBS

The entirety of the Browns 2019 schedule is as follows:

Sep. 9 vs. Tennessee Titans (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Sep. 16 at New York Jets (8:15 p.m. ET) ESPN

Sep. 22 vs. Los Angeles Rams (8:20 p.m. ET) NBC

Sep. 29 at Baltimore Ravens (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Oct. 7 at San Francisco 49ers (8:15 p.m. ET) ESPN

Oct. 13 vs. Seattle Seahawks (1 p.m. ET) FOX

BYE

Oct. 27 at New England Patriots (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 3 at Denver Broncos (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 10 vs. Buffalo Bills (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Nov. 14 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (8:20 p.m. ET) FOX/NFL Network/Amazon

Nov. 24 vs. Miami Dolphins (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 1 at Pittsburgh Steelers (4:25 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 8 vs. Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 15 at Arizona Cardinals (4:05 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec. 22 vs. Baltimore Ravens (1 p.m. ET) CBS

Dec 29 at Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m. ET) CBS
16-0

Nice!  Starting the season off with TENN and NYJ should build this team's confidence.  The fact that the meat of the schedule hits after Week 8 when Hunt is able to start playing is a real treat!  Giving Kitchen and Baker the extra week to prepare for NE, then run through the division.  This will be a fun year for sure!

The fact that the meat of the schedule hits after Week 8 when Hunt is able to start playing is a real treat!  
:unsure:

I think the first 6 games is a substantially windier road.  Week 1 may look good on paper, but isn't much more unpredictable than NFL results in early September.  Then we go on the road for a Monday nighter against a team with aspirations for contending with the Pats.  Only to return home on a short week for another primetime contest, only this time it's against the Super Bowl runner-up.  To be followed up by a road trip against arguably our stiffest division foe.  Then we go cross country to play another Monday nighter.  Then return home and draw Russell Wilson on a short week.

Fun?  Hell yeah!  But all that's gonna be a real challenge.  And the more structured second half will be welcomed relief.

:unsure:

I think the first 6 games is a substantially windier road.  Week 1 may look good on paper, but isn't much more unpredictable than NFL results in early September.  Then we go on the road for a Monday nighter against a team with aspirations for contending with the Pats.  Only to return home on a short week for another primetime contest, only this time it's against the Super Bowl runner-up.  To be followed up by a road trip against arguably our stiffest division foe.  Then we go cross country to play another Monday nighter.  Then return home and draw Russell Wilson on a short week.

Fun?  Hell yeah!  But all that's gonna be a real challenge.  And the more structured second half will be welcomed relief.
Fair points.  I think the Titans are 0-3 on Week 1 the last few years, so I'm inclined to think we'll get an early jump.  NYJ aren't that solid of a team yet, so I think we may catch them off guard as well.  Plus Baker and OBJ on MNF should be must-see TV - win or lose!  Rams will be a tough one, no doubt and the Ravens I'd liken to a "warm up" game for the division.  I think this team can come out of the first 6 weeks at worst 3-3, then the rest of the schedule opens up for them.  It's definitely a windy road in the offset, but I don't think it would cause CLE to go 1-5 or 0-6.  

Keep in mind that the schedule doesn't fair well for some of those early teams either...

Rams play CAR and NO before CLE

Ravens have to play KC, then CLE, then PITT

SEA plays STL, then CLE, then BALT

So even in those games, CLE may not be viewed as the top worry on their schedule.  There are some physical games in those stretches, which could prove to be an advantage for CLE when our game rolls around.  If anything, the teams playing the week before CLE may help Kitchens and Wilks find something to expose with StL, Balt, or Sea.  

Looking at this right now, it helps keep me optimistic for the coming year.  Barring any injuries, the dominoes are setting up nicely for a playoff run this year in CLE.

Peak said:
I think this team can come out of the first 6 weeks at worst 3-3, then the rest of the schedule opens up for them.  It's definitely a windy road in the offset, but I don't think it would cause CLE to go 1-5 or 0-6.  
Well yeah, that'd be a disaster.  I expect 3-3 and would be thrilled with 4-2.  Looking at those 6 games I cannot identify any penciled in W's though.  No one's going to be sleeping on us.

The Man With No Name said:
BYE week then at New England :thumbup:
Saw that and that is good but two weeks before playing us they have a Thursday Night game and then Belichick gets 11 days to prepare for the Jets which would be good except it is a divisional game so he's got lots of tape on them AND the Patriots will have already played the Jets in week 3 so Belichick will have extra time to game plan for the Browns.

The Patriots schedule is pretty easy leading up to the Browns and it is a Nationally televised game in New England.  

Patriots 2019 NFL schedule

Mike Clay has that as one of two games that we have less than a 40% chance to win.

Projected win percentage by week for entire 2019 NFL schedule

He has us with at least a 55% chance of winning every game outside of LA Rams and NE Patriots both at only 39% to win.

You'd rather play New England in September than October, but Bellichik is often still trying to figure out his own team in the first half of the season.

At least some preconceived bias when I went schedule skimming just now because I've thought this for years, but looking at the last 5 years...his 2017 offense started off hot but lost its footing some before hitting their stride in November.  The 2018 defense was a mess until the second half.  The 2014 offense after that meltdown in KC and the 2015 version masked the issues they had on D in the first half.  And no one was going to stop this team in 2016.

But this will be the worse Patriots team in years and we draw them after two primetime games, before another one, and on a short week.  Bellichik will prioritize game planning for this one no matter when it would fall on the schedule.  The players are susceptible to not being on their A game though.

Another good schedule thing is the Thursday Night game against Pittsburgh - at home, and having a 1 pm home game against Buffalo just before that.

Steelers are also home in week 10, against the LA Rams.

FOUR primetime games!!!!

And the one v NE isnt one of then :lol:  
Primetime doesn't get all the good matchups.  I'm not sure exactly how the networks/NFL select/divvy these games, but that CBS late slot (and the same for FOX) is no joke.  Only SNF rivals it.

To long suffering Browns fans,I'm curious,are you going into this season with a great deal of HOPE? Or a  lot of EXPECTATIONS?

I believe there's a difference and am wondering what true Brown's fans are feeling.

To long suffering Browns fans,I'm curious,are you going into this season with a great deal of HOPE? Or a  lot of EXPECTATIONS?

I believe there's a difference and am wondering what true Brown's fans are feeling.
I have high expectations for this team, though I am not one of the ones who think we are super bowl bound. We should win our division and get some playoff experience. It will be good for our young team, and I think next year and after the expectations go up. I am however a Browns fan, so there is that little kernel of doubt  in my brain wondering how things could implode. A little playoff experience will be good for us fans too.

I expect playoffs. I hope for the division and at least one January win.

Not expecting, we're going to the playoffs.  Not sure how but we are going this year.

Once in the dance I want it all but no matter what I want I have no expectations once we are in the playoffs but we are going to the playoffs.

i am not expecting anything.  

a lot of things have to break your way to make the playoffs. 

i am hoping for a winning record. that is the next step.  

why beat around the bush? this team is more than good enough to make playoffs.

not making it would be a total disappointment. end of story. i dont care about the past

why beat around the bush? this team is more than good enough to make playoffs.

not making it would be a total disappointment. end of story. i dont care about the past
I don't care about the past, either, but there are 9-10 playoff teams in the AFC right now.  Let's win the division!

there are 9-10 playoff teams in the AFC right now
I'll bite.....who's on your list?  I can get to 4 perennial playoff teams with talent, 2 with young talent that are ready to take the next step, and 4 with chances if things go their way (2 of which in the same division).  

IMO...for sure playoffs: NE, SD, IND, HOU, 

Young teams ready to make the playoffs: CLE (best in division on paper), NYJ (talented, but needs symmetry)

Potential playoffs (things need to go right way):  Balt (many player changes, new QB, DEF not as it was), PIT (lost RB/WR); JAX (new QB), KC (no RB, no DEF),

Too many changes, low chance: CIN, TEN (not with IND having a healthy Luck), MIA (dumpster fire), DEN (Offense issues), Oakland (would be a big surprise), BUFF

I'm not sure KC makes the playoffs again and are in a decline.  Losing Hunt and some key Defensive pieces will hurt.  If Hill gets suspended, that will be a major hit as well.  I just don't see this young team making it again this year.

ETA: And now I see KC trade for Clark, which should help a little, but Defensive Backfield is still a hot mess.  Chances may have increased a little now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bite.....who's on your list?  I can get to 4 perennial playoff teams with talent, 2 with young talent that are ready to take the next step, and 4 with chances if things go their way (2 of which in the same division).  

IMO...for sure playoffs: NE, SD, IND, HOU, 

Young teams ready to make the playoffs: CLE (best in division on paper), NYJ (talented, but needs symmetry)

Potential playoffs (things need to go right way):  Balt (many player changes, new QB, DEF not as it was), PIT (lost RB/WR); JAX (new QB), KC (no RB, no DEF),

Too many changes, low chance: CIN, TEN (not with IND having a healthy Luck), MIA (dumpster fire), DEN (Offense issues), Oakland (would be a big surprise), BUFF

I'm not sure KC makes the playoffs again and are in a decline.  Losing Hunt and some key Defensive pieces will hurt.  If Hill gets suspended, that will be a major hit as well.  I just don't see this young team making it again this year.
Agreed.  I didn't mean to imply that all have equally good chances.  There are flaws on every team.

I would count out MIA, & CIN.  NYJ, BUF, JAX, & DEN have improved but probably not enough.   OAK made lots of moves, I dunno.

Everybody else, IMO, has a decent shot.  NE, BAL, PIT, CLE, HOU, IND, TEN, KC, LAC.  

I hope this noise about moving up from 49 is just that - noise. 

Pick 80?  That's the one I hope we're looking to move up from.  

I hope this noise about moving up from 49 is just that - noise. 

Pick 80?  That's the one I hope we're looking to move up from.  
What's new floating out there today?

I'd like to think the noise simply comes with the territory (having Dorsey as GM).  People know he dots all his i's and crosses all his t's.  He's also open to anything.  So it's easy to float this stuff from a media perspective.

What's new floating out there today?

I'd like to think the noise simply comes with the territory (having Dorsey as GM).  People know he dots all his i's and crosses all his t's.  He's also open to anything.  So it's easy to float this stuff from a media perspective.
It certainly could be absolutely nothing.  Heard it both last night and this morning on 92.3.  Sounded like both segments were after interviews, but I don't know who with as I'm rarely in the car for more than 10 minutes at a time.  Came up in conversation in the office this morning (co-workers come in later, so Carmen and Lima were probably still talking about it) and that's when the thought entered my head.  The pool of talent gets real muddy once tier 2 in round 1 has dried up and it seems to stay that way well into day 2.  So instead of packaging 49 with a meaningful piece in 2020 and/or a player along with day 3 piecemeal this year to move into the end of tier 2...just get two players from tier 3.

But, again - could just be talk radio trying to fill air time until there's actually something tangible to talk about.

Just throwing this out there.  I do NOT want to deal our 2020 1st to move into the 1st this year.  Not unless we get insane value on our side, which wont happen.  

Users who are viewing this thread