What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

im not a cap expert, so explain this. why would acquiring him on a 1yr deal this summer impact the cap for 2yrs from now
It decreases our roll over into 2020. We are already spending above the cap in 2019. Which is fine because we have been rolling over unused cap for years. We are now in treading lightly territory though. Bringing in another (meaningful) contract will essentially mean not retaining an expiring contract.

So one year of McCoy would increase the probability Schobert or Randall are playing somewhere else in 2020.

So one year of McCoy would increase the probability Schobert or Randall are playing somewhere else in 2020.
So if the talk of Trading Schobert and/or Duke is involved this offseason, what does that do to your books?  By drafting multiple LBs, I can see where Kirksey and/or Schobert may be gone this year.

So if the talk of Trading Schobert and/or Duke is involved this offseason, what does that do to your books?  By drafting multiple LBs, I can see where Kirksey and/or Schobert may be gone this year.
Their 2019 cap hits pale in comparison to McCoy. And I dont think Duke is here in 2020. I hope he doesnt leave prior, but (may) understand why he would. 

I think re-signing Schobert and Randall are high priorities, so if bringing in McCoy impacts that then i don't want him. If it doesnt impact those decisions then I'm open minded, but concerned. 

Kirksey is toast, (EDIT) but preferably not until after 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CJ Mosely and Kwon Alexander contracts were insane. 

C.J. Mosley contract breakdown: Jets don't have a real out until 2021  - five-year, $85 million contract

Report: LB Kwon Alexander, 49ers Agree to Four-Year, $54M Deal -  Alexander appeared in only six games

Joe isn't Mosely or Kwon but for the Ravens to walk away from CJ ...

We don't know what Joe will demand but those contracts set the bar much higher than what Dorsey probably would have wanted right before he attempts to extend Schobert.  Kirksey got extended so we'll have to see if he steps up his play to match his contract because he's got to now that he's got competition.  

Rumor floating around the Twitterverse that Eric Berry is going to sign a deal with the Browns soon -  expected to be in before the next mini-camp.

I'd have to assume it would be a team friendly deal, maybe a one year deal.  Just another vet Dorsey is familiar with to help get the youngsters up to speed quickly?

Rumor floating around the Twitterverse that Eric Berry is going to sign a deal with the Browns soon -  expected to be in before the next mini-camp.

I'd have to assume it would be a team friendly deal, maybe a one year deal.  Just another vet Dorsey is familiar with to help get the youngsters up to speed quickly?
That would be great since S was a dire need.  Greedy selection was value and we will have a role for him as a boundary CB even if he isn't listed as a starter he has premium skills/value.  Safety has historically been a position that can be found with mid to late draft selections but if Berry gets a clean bill of health then he would be surgical veteran addition to what could be an emerging secondary.

Speaking of which if Greedy looked familiar. 

Greedy Williams has a doppelganger >>>>  Greedy doppelganger  

(Rotoworld) Browns signed RB D'Ernest Johnson, formerly of the AAF's Orlando Apollos. Analysis: Johnson was second in the AAF in rushing with 372 yards at the time of its collapse. He also led the league in yards-per-carry with a 5.8 mark, totaling a 64-372-2 rushing line. Johnson flashed in the passing game as well, compiling a 22-220-1 line there. He links back up with QB Garrett Gilbert, who also signed with the Browns after starting for the Apollos.

(Rotoworld) Browns signed RB D'Ernest Johnson, formerly of the AAF's Orlando Apollos. Analysis: Johnson was second in the AAF in rushing with 372 yards at the time of its collapse. He also led the league in yards-per-carry with a 5.8 mark, totaling a 64-372-2 rushing line. Johnson flashed in the passing game as well, compiling a 22-220-1 line there. He links back up with QB Garrett Gilbert, who also signed with the Browns after starting for the Apollos.
Browns’ practice squad gonna be lit!

So Mccoy was released.  Not sure if that makes it more or less likely we get him.

I am guessing he gets a 2 or 3 year deal for around 9-10 million a year.  Maybe half guaranteed.

So Mccoy was released.  Not sure if that makes it more or less likely we get him.

I am guessing he gets a 2 or 3 year deal for around 9-10 million a year.  Maybe half guaranteed.
More likely, but it depends on his contract demands because the cap situation remains. Dollars now means less later. The Browns should probably pass if what you cited is his market value. 

More likely, but it depends on his contract demands because the cap situation remains. Dollars now means less later. The Browns should probably pass if what you cited is his market value. 
The contract is why maybe it's less likely.

Now, if the guarantees are 13 million, then the money part is pretty much the same with options later.

the Browns are past the point where they have to overpay for free agents. 

the question is if they have reached the point that players are willing to take less to come to Cleveland. 

my guess is; not yet. 

so if McCoy is looking for a big payday, the Browns will pass.  

The contract is why maybe it's less likely.

Now, if the guarantees are 13 million, then the money part is pretty much the same with options later.
If a team wanted him for $13 mil then they would have swapped 7's or something with them. They aren't going to pay more now. 

Last year Ogunjobi suffered a torn bicep against the Texans but gutted it out for the entire season.  Trevon Coley was awful.

We signed Sheldon Richardson and after we signed Shel Dorsey was known to be targeting Jeffery Simmons in the draft even though he wouldn't be able to play this year.  We know that we have been interested in McCoy after the draft when draft picks would be part of the package to attain him.  Now we don't have to pay draft picks and we 'might/should' be able to get him for less money than his current contract.

McCoy had been great making six straight Pro Bowls up to last year where his production dropped by 19 tackles from the previous year.  He only had 28 total combined tackles or less than 2 per game which is low.

The contract has to be re-negotiated.  He has made over $100 million in his career so it stands to reason he would want to join a playoff/potential Super Bowl team.  The Pats have interest but they have less than $4 million.  He wants to join a 'potential' championship team but I am sure he doesn't want to be insulted.  Other teams mentioned, the Colts, the Seahawks, the Bills, the Niners, and the Eagles.  Cross off the Niners since they have so much invested on the D-Line.  Bills aren't a contender.  Hawks don't have enough cash.  The Colts went cheap in FA so I think they would want a bargain.  Not sure of the Eagles.

The 'best' option I see for McCoy is Cleveland.  More than likely he would be part of a rotation to keep the inside guys fresh and he still has a spry pass rush as he has not gone below 6 sacks in the past 6 years.  

Last year Pittsburgh went cheap by not signing LeVeon Bell and that had a cascading effect on Antonio Brown which created all sorts of drama.  When it comes down to paying a few extra million dollars their is a fine line between being cap savvy and just being stupid.  

Dorsey has made it clear he feels we still have a need at DT and he would not pay draft picks or the current salary of Gerald McCoy but now it is a new ball game and I think it makes a lot of sense for both sides to find common ground and make a deal that benefits both sides.

Bracie Smathers said:
When it comes down to paying a few extra million dollars their is a fine line between being cap savvy and just being stupid.  
This is where I'm not aligned in the thinking with the vast majority that want McCoy.  It isn't about being cap savvy; it's about ensuring you have the necessary cap space to retain your core, which should be priority #1. And maintaining the ability to maximize your ability to build a strong team in future years as you are now - sustained success.  Any move that negatively impacts that should not go through.  I'm not saying acquiring McCoy does that, but as of right now it's in the range of potential outcomes.

Does McCoy make the 2019 Browns better?  Almost certainly.  But he also may indirectly make the 2020 and beyond Browns worse.  What are his priorities and actual market? Then how does acquiring him potentially impact future season's?  We'll know the answer to question #1 shortly after whatever contract he signs, but we won't know the answer to question #2 for some time.  Optics will likely dictate that question meaningless because most won't remember, but I think sound fiscal policy/planning is more important.

There's a price that makes sense for a great rotational veteran DT, but beyond the indirect impacts it has on the rest of the roster in future years he first must be okay with such a role and second his cost should be substantially lower than the DT you signed 2 months ago.  This could be a great get, but there are a lot of variables that need filled in for this to make sense.

This is where I'm not aligned in the thinking with the vast majority that want McCoy.  It isn't about being cap savvy; it's about ensuring you have the necessary cap space to retain your core, which should be priority #1. And maintaining the ability to maximize your ability to build a strong team in future years as you are now - sustained success.  Any move that negatively impacts that should not go through.  I'm not saying acquiring McCoy does that, but as of right now it's in the range of potential outcomes.

Does McCoy make the 2019 Browns better?  Almost certainly.  But he also may indirectly make the 2020 and beyond Browns worse.  What are his priorities and actual market? Then how does acquiring him potentially impact future season's?  We'll know the answer to question #1 shortly after whatever contract he signs, but we won't know the answer to question #2 for some time.  Optics will likely dictate that question meaningless because most won't remember, but I think sound fiscal policy/planning is more important.

There's a price that makes sense for a great rotational veteran DT, but beyond the indirect impacts it has on the rest of the roster in future years he first must be okay with such a role and second his cost should be substantially lower than the DT you signed 2 months ago.  This could be a great get, but there are a lot of variables that need filled in for this to make sense.
I don't think it is the price so-much as the structure of the contract where their would be no dead cap hit basically making it a performance based contract.  

We have a need according to how Dorsey approached FA with Richardson, the draft with his pursuit of Simmons, and the interest he's shown towards McCoy.  

We lack depth at DT and considering the torn bicep of Ogun... I haven't seen any updates and saw no surgery, just an MRI which indicates a slight tear but those sort of injuries can linger.  If we have both vets we could pick-and-choose between McCoy and Richardson as to whether we'd cut or extend and/or who provides better long-term value.   

We need another starting caliber DT in the mix according to Dorsey by his actions.  Their are a few to choose from but McCoy 'seems' the best fit.   

Envision January when we are in the playoffs and Trevon Coley gets blown off the LOS and we are getting gashed by some team and then see their QB complete a pass as Garrett gets their too late because he didn't get inside penetration from the DT.

Then picture Baker screaming on the sidelines as McCoy sacks the QB as our defense controls the LOS because we have an effective rotation that keeps everyone fresh without a falloff in play.  

We are going to the playoffs this year and Dorsey has made it clear by actions he wants a good DT to add to the rotation and McCoy looks like the 'best fit'.  We can afford him and he make a difference in January.  

I am excited to see what McCoy will do within this newly restructured DL that Dorsey has built.

Garrett - Richardson - McCoy - Vernon

Who do you double team?  You go heavy on one side, the other will get you.  Good luck trying to go Man-2-Man.  That is a ridiculously good setup.  I don't see any other suitor that could offer McCoy that kind of opportunity where he can stay fresh all season and not have to worry about double-teams every time he's on the field.

not predicting anything based off of this, but Beckham not being here for the installs is bull####.  
It isn't bull ####, this is the price of admission. Don't remember how you felt about him 2 months ago, but if you were good with it then you kinda can't not be good with this. Yeah, double negatives!

if you dont like the fact that stars dont show for stuff like this, then dont ask for stars on your team.

it is what it is. 

until stuff like this is mandatory, superstars arent risking their bodies for nothing

Less than $13.million assumed figure.  One year deal means zero dead cap.

We can do that.  We can do better than that and still come in less than $13 million.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski‏ @brentsobleski 2h2 hours ago

Market is now set for McCoy.

Brent Sobleski added, Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

Buccaneers officially have reached agreement with former Rams’ DT Ndamukong Suh on a one-year, $9.25 million deal that with incentives is worth up to $10 million, per source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski‏ @brentsobleski 2h2 hours ago

Just imagine the following sub-package Bear front:

Garrett .........................Schobert

Richardson

Ogunjobi

McCoy ..........................Kirksey

Vernon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Smith‏ @_PeteSmith_

Gerald McCoy to start his free agent tour, visit #Browns Friday

12:54 PM - 23 May 2019

NEWS ARTICLES > DENZEL WARD: MAKING ADJUSTMENTS TO TACKLING TECHNIQUE

PUBLISHED WED MAY 22 4:10:37 P.M. ET 2019 

(RotoWire) Ward is adjusting his tackling technique in the wake of a season in which he sustained two separate concussions, Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram reports.

Analysis: Ward missed three of the final four games of his rookie season with a pair of concussions, but he was able to participate in January's Pro Bowl and then suggested Wednesday that he hasn't suffered any setbacks since. The 2018 first-round pick is locked and loaded as the Browns' No. 1 corner ahead of the 2019 season and improved health could help him top his rookie year stat line of 53 tackles, 11 pass breakups, three picks and one forced fumble.

It isn't bull ####, this is the price of admission. Don't remember how you felt about him 2 months ago, but if you were good with it then you kinda can't not be good with this. Yeah, double negatives!
i wasn’t banging the drum to bring in a prima donna. 

hope he does well, but this isn’t conditioning, it’s installing the offense.  seems like it might be important to a guy going to a new team?

if you dont like the fact that stars dont show for stuff like this, then dont ask for stars on your team.

it is what it is. 

until stuff like this is mandatory, superstars arent risking their bodies for nothing
didn’t ask for him.  

is Mayfield not a star?

didn’t ask for him.  

is Mayfield not a star?
I am glad your not the GM I like to win championships.  OBJ helps that chance.  I can't believe people are crying about OBJ not being there for voluntary workouts.  Would it be nice if he was ?  Sure.  It isn't mandatory so not sure why all the complaining.

how do i possibly have to explain that baker is the new in grooming nfl posterboy 

he's at voluntaries because he has to

I am glad your not the GM I like to win championships.  OBJ helps that chance.  I can't believe people are crying about OBJ not being there for voluntary workouts.  Would it be nice if he was ?  Sure.  It isn't mandatory so not sure why all the complaining.
Here's the deal...  As fans, we want to jump up & down and shout from the rooftops that OBJ is a Brown.  We want to celebrate, to brag.  We got a QB that is a winner and doesn't leave you wondering about his attitude -- he's ALL IN!  We want OBJ to be that so we can jump on his bandwagon without any worries.  Too bad he's not that kind of guy.  We would love him!

Here's the deal...  As fans, we want to jump up & down and shout from the rooftops that OBJ is a Brown.  We want to celebrate, to brag.  We got a QB that is a winner and doesn't leave you wondering about his attitude -- he's ALL IN!  We want OBJ to be that so we can jump on his bandwagon without any worries.  Too bad he's not that kind of guy.  We would love him!
If we let him be him then we will probably love him. If we force him to be what we want him to be then we may not. 

Users who are viewing this thread