Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

i’m willing to bet Dorsey will have to cut Hunt at some point this season. 

19 hours ago, Arodin said:

Having been, in my younger days “questioned by police” for such irresponsible stupidities as:  sitting in my parked car after dark, walking back and forth in front of my apartment complex, and being outdoors after someone in the neighborhood phoned in a report of gunshots, I learned early that:

Being “questioned by police” does not equate to “did anything irresponsible or wrong.”  Police do question witnesses and victims as well as perpetrators.

None of my questionings led to posted cell phone videos that I then had to answer for to my boss, nor did they appear on the local news.

this is a fair point. 

i said earlier that this “incident” is much ado about nothing. 

but he should be very cautious right now. 

57 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

you underestimate the idiocy of my 20s.  

I might challenge many for my stupidity.....  a favorite was sitting out the sunroof on I-20 in SC at 2am hammered doing 90 mph waving to the police 

Unlike McCoy, maybe Mike Daniels will fit within the Browns budget for a rotational DT.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Unlike McCoy, maybe Mike Daniels will fit within the Browns budget for a rotational DT.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo

From @NFLTotalAccess: Sounds like there’s already solid interest in former #Packers DL Mike Daniels, despite Green Bay being unable to complete a trade with teams that included the #Patriots, #Chiefs and #Browns.

4:23 PM - 24 Jul 2019

-----------------------------------

Dorsey was trying to trade for him before they released him because he didn't want to get into a bidding war.

His stats are solid but not spectacular and his salary is 'pretty-high' for his production.    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036801/article/stunner-packers-parting-ways-with-mike-daniels?campaign=Twitter_atn 

...  Daniels was due $8.1 million in 2019 in base salary and roster bonuses. The move saves the Packers$8.3 million in cap space this season, per Over The Cap.

... 30-year-old defensive lineman

Dorsey was probably looking for a low-ball trade if the Pack could pick up part of the salary or if he could renegotiate a lower salary.

Now with other teams in the mix he is going to be waiting out for the highest bidder I would guess but the Pack did not want to pay his salary and I would imagine other teams want it lower so this might take time.  

I think everyone likes Daniels but not at his current salary.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

Phil Dawson still out there?

At least we'll get him for one more day!

Edited by Bobcat10

Audio clip - Wylie

-----------------------------

Ex-#Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying ex-QB coach Ken Zampese 'did all the coaching' in those final 8 games in radio interview

Zach Gelb‏Verified account @ZachGelb

Bob Wylie tells The Zach Gelb Show on @CBSSportsRadio that he believes Gregg Williams didn't get the @Browns job because he was too strong of a candidate.

10:36 AM - 3 Aug 2019

Former OL coach Bob Wylie takes shots at GM John Dorsey, coach Freddie Kitchens in radio interview

On 8/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Audio clip - Wylie

-----------------------------

Ex-#Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying ex-QB coach Ken Zampese 'did all the coaching' in those final 8 games in radio interview

Zach Gelb‏Verified account @ZachGelb

Bob Wylie tells The Zach Gelb Show on @CBSSportsRadio that he believes Gregg Williams didn't get the @Browns job because he was too strong of a candidate.

10:36 AM - 3 Aug 2019

Former OL coach Bob Wylie takes shots at GM John Dorsey, coach Freddie Kitchens in radio interview

Never expected sour grapes from Bobo but whatever. Kitchens addressed it pretty thoroughly in today's presser. I think he put a stake through it pretty well. If you get a chance to listen to it, it's worth the 5 minutes or just wait for Cowherd to tell everyone how disfunction the the team was/is under Freddie and how it's all starting to unravel before the season even starts.

Good over view.  Simms points out the talent, the plays he's seen but that even though he has met him in the past and studied tape and watched games that after witnessing him in practice take control, he was blown away by Baker's charisma and leadership.  With Baker and Odell, the Browns can go to another level of super star.  Could go down as being one of the most epic combinations in the history of the league.  They have to show it in battle, close games, learn how to win, they have to learn situational football and the sky is the limit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vid Clip - Chris Simms what he's seen at #BrownsCamp, @bakermayfield and the season ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Good over view.  Simms points out the talent, the plays he's seen but that even though he has met him in the past and studied tape and watched games that after witnessing him in practice take control, he was blown away by Baker's charisma and leadership.  With Baker and Odell, the Browns can go to another level of super star.  Could go down as being one of the most epic combinations in the history of the league.  They have to show it in battle, close games, learn how to win, they have to learn situational football and the sky is the limit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vid Clip - Chris Simms what he's seen at #BrownsCamp, @bakermayfield and the season ahead.

They definitely have the talent to be an epic combination. However, you are talking about two very volatile outspoken personalities. I don't know if they will be able to co-exist well together for a long time period.

1 minute ago, dhockster said:

They definitely have the talent to be an epic combination. However, you are talking about two very volatile outspoken personalities. I don't know if they will be able to co-exist well together for a long time period.

Great actors overpower weak actors but if you see a film like 'August Osage County' with mega stars needing a strong prescience opposite them to reach a level that they never could alone.

Strong personalities, more like uber talented players needing a strong player to reach another level.

Simms makes good points about being battle tested, seeing this play out in close games, learning to win as a team, and situational football where someone hones their skill but I'm not worried about something that I see as a positive which is hugely talented players with big egos to match which is far better than Odell with a noodle armed over-the-hill QB that he had out paced.  Or Baker with a rookie WR who sat out a year forced to start before he was ready and he still set the all-time NFL record for TD passes after not starting the first three games.

14 minutes ago, dhockster said:

I disregard anything Chris Simms says, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to but I question anyone saying Mayfield's volatile. Intense? Absolutely. Volatile? Nope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Psycho said:

#Browns RB Duke Johnson was traded to the#Texans.

:bye:

11 minutes ago, Sir Psycho said:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

1m

Source: #Browns RB Duke Johnson was traded to the#Texans.

"My hamstring hurts....oooooo...the pain...the agony....I can't walk!!!  I can't.....wait....what....Texans...?  Ok.  I'll run over there right away for my physical!"

Bye Duke :bye:

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP 5m5 minutes ago

AP source says #Browns getting a 4th-round pick for Johnson that can become third-rounder.

---------------------------------------------

LA‏ @TheRealLA__ 2m2 minutes ago

Oh stop, his hamstring wasn't hurt. That was evident after a long Hilliard run in camp and Duke ran down the sideline. That and I know the game played here by the player, agent and Browns to get it to this point today

--------------------------------------------

Good return on Duke's fake  hamstring/pseudo hold out.

Buy Hilliard who should see early season touches.

18 minutes ago, Peak said:

"My hamstring hurts....oooooo...the pain...the agony....I can't walk!!!  I can't.....wait....what....Texans...?  Ok.  I'll run over there right away for my physical!"

Bye Duke :bye:

Rosenhaus ordering him to fake this injury, but stay quiet, was smart. It applied an intangible timeline on the Browns to move him. They just needed another team to develop a hole, so they could get a little more compensation than they would have 3 months ago.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I disregard anything Chris Simms says, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to but I question anyone saying Mayfield's volatile. Intense? Absolutely. Volatile? Nope.

Okay maybe volatile isn't the right word. But Baker definitely reacts before he thinks. He seems to say the first thing that comes into his head. Because of this you get true honesty from him. That is fine when things are going well, but when things aren't going well that type of honesty can cause division between him and other players. I would think with someone like Odell this could definitely be an issue.

I am not saying these guys don't have great potential, but they do have some traits that could prevent them from maximizing their talent.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

The #Browns got a fourth-rounder that can become a third rounder for Duke Johnson. If it does become a third, I believe it will be the highest RB compensation since Trent Richardson went for a first.

8:12 AM - 8 Aug 2019

3 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Okay maybe volatile isn't the right word. But Baker definitely reacts before he thinks. He seems to say the first thing that comes into his head. Because of this you get true honesty from him. That is fine when things are going well, but when things aren't going well that type of honesty can cause division between him and other players. I would think with someone like Odell this could definitely be an issue.

I am not saying these guys don't have great potential, but they do have some traits that could prevent them from maximizing their talent.

Don't agree with that either. Whether you think his actions are right or wrong, there's a purpose behind everything he says and does. He does what he thinks is best to lead those in his locker room. He's not honest because he's reactionary. He's just honest. And teammates gravitate towards him because of that.

10 minutes ago, dhockster said:

This makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

This makes no sense.

Their reactive personalities could keep them from being an "Epic combination". Not saying it will keep them from being great, but it could.

Man, as an Eagles fan, I thought Eagles fans were sensitive and defensive. Until I posted in the Brown's thread. I hope you guys have a good season.

17 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

The #Browns got a fourth-rounder that can become a third rounder for Duke Johnson. If it does become a third, I believe it will be the highest RB compensation since Trent Richardson went for a first.

8:12 AM - 8 Aug 2019

Dane Brugler‏Verified account @dpbrugler

Dane Brugler Retweeted John McClain

The games Duke Johnson has been active in his NFL career:

• 2015: 16
  • 2016: 16
  • 2017: 16
  • 2018: 16

Good chance the #Browns get a 3rd back.

Dane Brugler added,

John McClainVerified account @McClain_on_NFL

If Duke Johnson is active for 10 games, Texans will give Browns a third-round pick.

8:36 AM - 8 Aug 2019

7 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Their reactive personalities could keep them from being an "Epic combination". Not saying it will keep them from being great, but it could.

Man, as an Eagles fan, I thought Eagles fans were sensitive and defensive. Until I posted in the Brown's thread. I hope you guys have a good season.

We're probably cut from the same cloth, only we have much more experience dealing with failure. If I'm wrong then so be it, but I don't see it with this group.

just ordered my Mayfield Color Rush off of NFL.com. 

:thumbup:

does Body Armour sports drink help with hangovers from shotgunning Lite beer?

:tinfoilhat:

2 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

with hunt suspended who is the immediate backup to chubb now?

Hilliard, whether artificial or not there's been a lot of buzz around him out of camp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dhockster said:

You back poking this thread again? Didn't end well for you last year with the trolls if I recall, probably won't end well this year either if you're already starting first pre-season game.

Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off :thumbup:

On 7/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, amnesiac said:

i’m willing to bet Dorsey will have to cut Hunt at some point this season. 

Don't think so unless he does something really stupid.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

Don't think so unless he does something really stupid.

Man I hope the kid gets his #### straight but I'm just not feeling it. Would love to see him shine in the brown & orange.

17 hours ago, beer 30 said:

You back poking this thread again? Didn't end well for you last year with the trolls if I recall, probably won't end well this year either if you're already starting first pre-season game.

Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off :thumbup:

Love the Dodgeball reference

On 5/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, Tool said:

Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi could possibly turn into a great story. 

A few months ago Sheehy was homeless. 

He saw an opportunity and talked his way into a workout.

By hook and crook he made his way onto the camp roster.

Last night he had an 85 yard punt return in his first NFL game. 

A few hours later he was the only player at the complex lifting weights.

--------------------------------------------------

Warren Sharp‏Verified account @SharpFootball 20h20 hours ago

Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi's pro journey Crashed a workout in MIA + Ran a 4.38 + Received invite to CLE tryout + Lived/slept in a 24-hr gym via guest passes + Charged phone in laundromat + ate 1-2x/day at random cookouts = 85-yd return TD in 1st gm as a Brown

---------------------------------------------------

Steve Doerschuk‏ @sdoerschukREPe

#BrownsatWork If you would have swung by the team complex between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m., you would have found a security guard up front and Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi in the weight room.

2:56 PM - 9 Aug 2019

I have a feeling the Foursome of Futility will become the Terrible Trio this year. 

Not gonna say it (you guys are probably superstitious), but a vacation in Miami the last week of January/first weekend of February is almost always a great idea.

Edited by BobbyLayne
typo

On 8/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, dhockster said:

Yep.  He’s very T.O. like in that regard.  Passionate.  Impulsive.  Speaks before he thinks.   Fine when winning....

3 minutes ago, zoonation said:
On 8/8/2019 at 11:24 AM, dhockster said:

Yep.  He’s very T.O. like in that regard.  Passionate.  Impulsive.  Speaks before he thinks.   Fine when winning....

Well if you wanna perfect spokesman to be the face of your franchise, we’ll trade you Stafford for Mayfield. We’ll throw in 53 Mustangs and every draft pick we own.

Beautiful wife & 3 daughters, great ambassador, generous, beloved by his teammates, has never misspoken in eleven years of giving a weekly presser. Less demonstrative beer chugger so he’s perfect if you like low key.

Won’t ever win a meaningful game but, hey, at least he won’t stir the pot.

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Well if you wanna perfect spokesman to be the face of your franchise, we’ll trade you Stafford for Mayfield. We’ll throw in 53 Mustangs and every draft pick we own.

Beautiful wife & 3 daughters, great ambassador, generous, beloved by his teammates, has never misspoken in eleven years of giving a weekly presser. Less demonstrative beer chugger so he’s perfect if you like low key.

Won’t ever win a meaningful game but, hey, at least he won’t stir the pot.

Isn't Tim Tebow still available?

How worried are you guys about the o-line.  By all accounts it's pretty bad.  Will Baker and Chubb have the time and holes to make this offense what everyone expects it to be?

9 minutes ago, jurrassic said:

How worried are you guys about the o-line.  By all accounts it's pretty bad.  Will Baker and Chubb have the time and holes to make this offense what everyone expects it to be?

PFF is far from my favorite site for useful information, but comprehensive content on offensive lines is hard to come by.

20. CLEVELAND BROWNS

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Greg Robinson
Left Guard: Joel Bitonio
Center: JC Tretter
Right Guard: Austin Corbett
Right Tackle: Chris Hubbard

Cleveland’s interior offensive line was the major reason why the line was widely touted as one of the league’s best in 2018, but the front now looks much different after shipping Kevin Zeitler to New York in exchange for Odell Beckham and Olivier Vernon. Second-year guard Austin Corbett, who has logged just 14 NFL snaps, will step in alongside right tackle Chris Hubbard. The Browns’ offense is now lightyears better following an exciting offseason, but it will be intriguing to see how the offensive line fares given their losses.

So much of good offensive line play is interdependent; the more snaps they have together, the more they improve at becoming a cohesive unit. That’s why last week so many teams were putting their starting 5 out for the first few series when most vets had the night off.

15 minutes ago, jurrassic said:

Worried's not the right word. Aware probably is. The OL was a problem last year until Kitchens took over. Then it wasn't. Coaching and QB play will struggle to overcome a gaping hole at RG, but as long as it's adequate I think the offense will be fine.

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

PFF - Cleveland’s interior offensive line was the major reason why the line was widely touted as one of the league’s best in 2018, but the front now looks much different after shipping Kevin Zeitler to New York in exchange for Odell Beckham and Olivier Vernon. Second-year guard Austin Corbett, who has logged just 14 NFL snaps, will step in alongside right tackle Chris Hubbard. The Browns’ offense is now lightyears better following an exciting offseason, but it will be intriguing to see how the offensive line fares given their losses.

2 things

#1 The line was not good in 2018. Until October cancer removal anyway. Then it was no longer a problem. Sure, the players were certainly a part of that, but the growth was more on coaching and QB play than anything.

#2 I don't think Corbett's going to be the RG. It looks like Eric Kush's job to lose.

• Like 3

Yeah that PFF article was before TC, a lot of the info is stale. The Redskins are ranked 14th with Trent Williams (he ain’t coming back.) 

hey, anybody have a cheat sheet i can use for this weekend?

i don't subscribe anymore and we have a family yahoo league this weekend.

2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1FLEX, .5 PPR, 4pt passing TD, 6pt all others

thanks!!

On 8/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, MAC_32 said:

Worried's not the right word. Aware probably is. The OL was a problem last year until Kitchens took over. Then it wasn't. Coaching and QB play will struggle to overcome a gaping hole at RG, but as long as it's adequate I think the offense will be fine.

2 things

#1 The line was not good in 2018. Until October cancer removal anyway. Then it was no longer a problem. Sure, the players were certainly a part of that, but the growth was more on coaching and QB play than anything.

#2 I don't think Corbett's going to be the RG. It looks like Eric Kush's job to lose.

:goodposting:was going to post the same. If anyone remembers back to BB time (Before Baker), the line looked awful. A large part was the QB holding onto the ball way too long but even the running game was, at best, stagnant. The first series Mayfield came in the line instantly looked better. The entire offense did but the most drastic change was the OL suddenly wasn't giving up a sack every 5 downs and the WR's suddenly we getting the ball. Both of which = running game. To the day I die I won't forget the transformation that offense took when Mayfield took over. I've never seen anything so night & day in the NFL.

The OL is serviceable and if they manage to stay healthy will probably gel into a good unit. Depth is a question but I don't think there are too many teams in the NFL that have adequate depth at OL right now. We have a bunch of guys that have played a lot in the NFL and some young talent that needs to step up. Will that translate into a cohesive unit? We'll find out soon enough but again, as long as Mayfield is in the backfield I feel pretty good about it.

• Like 1

It was suggested to me recently that part of the off-season trades with the Giants included Dorsey's input to drafting Daniel Jones.  I find it far fetched,  but who knows...