Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Peak said:

I like love this idea.  No huddle.  Go back to the 12 set they used last year.  The more comfortable and familiar, the better.  Quick strikes and runs.  Put the Rams on their heels.  You know they'll be looking at the last few weeks and preparing for that version of this team.  Come out and hit them in the jaw with last year's version.

Problem with the 12 now is Njoku is out , we weren't running it with him, and we don't really have any blocking TE (maybe Brown is considered that?).  Harris has struggled from what I can tell and he was a Dorsey guy.  Maybe he steps up.  RSJ likely isn't the answer.  Weird to say, but I miss Fells right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amnesiac said:

i still believe in Mayfield long term. 

This is creeping into some minds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

cant believe we're gonna beat the rams in a shootout

There's a reason the line is only 3. I like our chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

This is creeping into some minds?

i’m sure it has.  he hasn’t looked sharp at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Problem with the 12 now is Njoku is out , we weren't running it with him, and we don't really have any blocking TE (maybe Brown is considered that?).  Harris has struggled from what I can tell and he was a Dorsey guy.  Maybe he steps up.  RSJ likely isn't the answer.  Weird to say, but I miss Fells right now.

Ya...I saw that last night.  Need to go get Fells and Charles off the woodpile.  Are they still FAs?  Agree with your takes on Harris and RSJ.  Need to transition this offense from the long ball back to the short, quick routes to get things firing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peak said:

  Need to transition this offense from the long ball back to the short, quick routes to get things firing again.

this seems obvious to most of us, but will the coaches figure it out?

sometimes they can’t see the forest through the trees.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amnesiac said:

this seems obvious to most of us, but will the coaches figure it out?

sometimes they can’t see the forest through the trees.  

I think that blurb in Roto about the sacks and needing to get the ball out quicker sort of hit them. Baker's aDOT puts him tenth in the NFL, his eight sacks about lead it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

good to know.

do you feel there’s a disconnect amongst Monken/Kitchen/Mayfield?

or do they just need more time to gel?

something is off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, amnesiac said:

good to know.

do you feel there’s a disconnect amongst Monken/Kitchen/Mayfield?

or do they just need more time to gel?

something is off. 

Yes - all I can hope is that it's a quick fix and not the beginning of toxicity. Good album though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Yes - all I can hope is that it's a quick fix and not the beginning of toxicity. Good album though.

i prefer Hypnotize, but both are great.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Yes - all I can hope is that it's a quick fix

do you thing Haslam arranged another shotgun marriage?

is it possible Kitchens only got the HC gig if he accepted an OC to help?

with their history, i can’t dismiss the thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's been 2 games. we improved over week 1, and that's most important.

they'll adjust and improve as the season goes on. they'll figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:
Quote

NFL pass-blocking, pass-rushing rankings: 2019 PBWR, PRWR leaderboard

Top 10 OT Pass Block Win Rate

1. La'el Collins, Cowboys, 100%
2. Mike McGlinchey, 49ers, 100%
3. Greg Robinson, Browns, 97%

Top 10 team Pass Block Win Rate

1. Browns, 74%

PFF shows different individual scores.  >>>  GRADES MATCHUP

The above ESPN pass rush win rate conspicuously didn't have NFL sack leader Myles Garret in the top-ten of pass rush win rate.

Quote

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Khalil Mack, Bears, 38%
2. Matthew Judon, Ravens, 33%
3. Josh Allen, Jaguars, 32%
4. Marcus Davenport, Saints, 32%
5. Takkarist McKinley, Falcons, 30%
6. Brandon Graham, Eagles, 30%
7. Dante Fowler Jr., Rams, 28%
8. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 28%
T9. Derek Barnett, Eagles, 27%
T9. Arden Key, Raiders, 27%

Yet Myles leads the league in sacks and sacks per pass rush attempt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheil Kapadia‏Verified account @SheilKapadia

Top 10 players through two weeks in terms of percentage of pass-rush snaps producing a sack or QBH:

1. Myles Garrett

2. Cam Wake 3. Sam Hubbard 4. Matt Judon 5. Shaq Barrett 6. Brian Burns 7. Marcus Davenport 8. Trey Hendrickson 9. Pernell McPhee 10. Ryan Kerrigan

7:27 AM - 19 Sep 2019

-----------------------------------

Edited by Bracie Smathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peak said:

Ya...I saw that last night.  Need to go get Fells and Charles off the woodpile.  Are they still FAs?  Agree with your takes on Harris and RSJ.  Need to transition this offense from the long ball back to the short, quick routes to get things firing again.

You should give the latest 'Locked On Browns' podcast a listen, these guys are excellent and they drill down on the injury to Njoku and the limited options we have.

---------------------------

David Njoku injury

Jeff-LJ-Lloyd‏ @Jeff_LJ_Lloyd

NEW @lockedonbrowns w/ @_PeteSmith_ David Njoku injury, not good maybe Seals-Jones can step up? The offense from coaches to players need to play at a faster pace. Why is Avery is not dressing? There's no ryhme or reason. #Browns

7:22 PM - 18 Sep 2019

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

There's a reason the line is only 3. I like our chances.

The line is 3 because early money went to Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, amnesiac said:

do you thing Haslam arranged another shotgun marriage?

is it possible Kitchens only got the HC gig if he accepted an OC to help?

with their history, i can’t dismiss the thought.  

I think Dorsey has shoved Jimmy out of the way. He may throw a bone to him every now and then to make it seem like he's important, but he's only doing it when he knows they're on the same page. 

I wouldnt dismiss Dorsey arranging that marriage though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think Dorsey has shoved Jimmy out of the way. He may throw a bone to him every now and then to make it seem like he's important, but he's only doing it when he knows they're on the same page. 

I wouldnt dismiss Dorsey arranging that marriage though. 

either way, they need to all get on the same page, and quick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, amnesiac said:

either way, they need to all get on the same page, and quick.  

Take aways from Monday Night

Quote

Mayfield seems to be holding on to the ball too long. He is attempting to get the big play with each play consisting of long-developing routes. He continues to try to keep the play alive until the very last second like we are playing backyard football. It makes the offense look ragged, and they need more time on the field together. 

Doug Farrar‏ @NFL_DougFarrar

There are changes in coverage looks that happen in the last 2-3 seconds of the pre-snap phase that are messing with the heads of a lot of young quarterbacks. Especially the young quarterback in Cleveland.

9:24 AM - 19 Sep 2019

------------------------------------

Jake Trotter‏Verified account @Jake_Trotter

Per NFL Next Gen Stats, Baker Mayfield is averaging 3.07 seconds to throw, the 3rd highest in NFL. When he throws within 2.5 seconds: 74%, 2 TDs/1 INT; when he throws in over 2.5 seconds: 55%, 0 TDs/3 INTs.

7:34 AM - 17 Sep 2019

-----------------------------------

He's got the time to throw and if he's got an easy read and gets rid of the ball quick he has success but if he holds onto the ball too long his numbers plummet.

The primary issue isn't getting the play down to the field and the primary issue is not pressure.  Baker is holding the ball too long.

He is seeing sophisticated looks and has to make multiple reads as the clock ticks.  If the clock forces a snap the defense can tee off.

Beckham is the deep threat and those routes take longer to develop so he may be looking-off the gimme short-throws waiting for deep routes to break open.

No Duke and losing Njoku doesn't help but Baker has had what looked like easy short completions and hasn't pulled the trigger but he isn't calling for the snap until the clock ticks down and the reason 'appears' to be the confusing coverage reads he has been shown.  

Peyton won games by getting to the LOS quick and reading coverage and taking the easy-short throws.  

Bake has got to add a lil-more Peyton to his game.  >>>>>>  Omaha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elijah McGuire: Joins Browns' practice squad(RotoWire) McGuire has been added to the Browns' practice squad. Analysis: McGuire, a 2017 sixth-rounder, racked up 180 carries for 591 yards and four TDs, to go along with 36 catches for 370 yards and two receiving scores for the Jets in 24 games over the course of the 2017 and 2018 campaigns. He therefore gives the Browns a depth option at running back with some recent NFL experience under his belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Freddie is not going to last with that attitude.

What did he do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Freddie is not going to last with that attitude.

?

6 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

What did he do?

Yeah,  what?

Here is the PC.  HC Freddie Kitchens at the podium

He takes the blame for the play calling but just look at the WRs to the right of the play.

OBJ is in bracket coverage to the left, he is covered and both Donald and Fowler are closing down forcing him to the left and just look at those numbnutz who can't get any separation.  Baker had no chance and Freddie took blame for poor execution from the two WRs and the TE who couldn't get any separation.

LOOK >>>    OBJ bracketed and 3 guys on the other side near each other with no chance... Chubb far off to the left

Edited by Bracie Smathers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the unrealistic optimism of the season been officially shut down yet? From what I am reading, the offensive line has been, well, offensive and needs to be fixed before the team can go anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Has the unrealistic optimism of the season been officially shut down yet? From what I am reading, the offensive line has been, well, offensive and needs to be fixed before the team can go anywhere.

I think the people that keep saying this have no idea what they're talking about. The OL was a problem last year. Then the team schemed around it and all of a sudden it wasn't a problem anymore. The OL is not a problem. It's not great; probably not even good. But it's fine. Baker has plenty of time to make plays. He's just not. The problems are in some order - QB, HC, and OC. Baker does not trust what he is seeing and instead of stepping up in the pocket like he did in similar situations late last year he keeps drifting right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1-2 wasn’t unexpected after they dropped game one to Tennessee.  

IF they can steal game four in Baltimore, they are very much still in it.  a lot needs to go their way though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

1-2 wasn’t unexpected after they dropped game one to Tennessee.  

IF they can steal game four in Baltimore, they are very much still in it.  a lot needs to go their way though.  

I think I said at the beginning of the season this team just needs to get to the bye 3-3. But I can't think of any logical reason we can win next week. Then we go to 3-0 San Fran off their bye on MNF. This offense wasn't a mess week 1 because of lack of August reps. It was a mess because it's just that - a mess. And it's no different now than it was then.

At this point I'm expecting 1-4 and if that comes to fruition I'm very curious what sorta effort we get (especially from the defense) on a short week in front of the bye vs. Seattle in front of what would be a very anxious and irritated crowd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, there were enough replays during the game last night, coupled with easily being able to see LAR consistently getting pressure bringing only their front 4, to take Baker out of the main cross hairs of what's really wrong with the offense.  I'm not saying he's playing great football.  He's been inaccurate with happy feet at times, doesn't look all that comfortable, etc.  

Freddie's explanation of why he didn't challenge the PI makes no sense and that's on top of taking 2 time outs to the podium for a post game snack.  WTF wants to go 3rd and 9 when you can be 2nd and 9 when the risk is simply a time out on what might be the last time you have the ball?  Then run a draw on 4th and 9....almost as if he thought it really was 3rd and 9. 

The last drive really put a major ding on Freddie.  The play calling, formations and personnel package (I'm pretty sure that should not be plural), on the last 4 downs was beyond abysmal.  Zero creativity with 2 time outs.  No draws, but Chubb split out wide where he is a non-factor.  He's absolutely right in that he needs to do a better job.  That was trash.  

Again, just my opinion after sleeping on this L.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

?

Yeah,  what?

Here is the PC.  HC Freddie Kitchens at the podium

He takes the blame for the play calling but just look at the WRs to the right of the play.

OBJ is in bracket coverage to the left, he is covered and both Donald and Fowler are closing down forcing him to the left and just look at those numbnutz who can't get any separation.  Baker had no chance and Freddie took blame for poor execution from the two WRs and the TE who couldn't get any separation.

LOOK >>>    OBJ bracketed and 3 guys on the other side near each other with no chance... Chubb far off to the left

Same play? Don't think it is but still needs to be a TD, would have been last year. https://twitter.com/Zip_30/status/1176090388597264385

Here's the other one I have a pretty big problem with, this is pretty close to throwing a flea flicker out of your own endzone, not quite as bad but close https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1175971891795959809

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

IMO, there were enough replays during the game last night, coupled with easily being able to see LAR consistently getting pressure bringing only their front 4, to take Baker out of the main cross hairs of what's really wrong with the offense.  I'm not saying he's playing great football.  He's been inaccurate with happy feet at times, doesn't look all that comfortable, etc.  

Freddie's explanation of why he didn't challenge the PI makes no sense and that's on top of taking 2 time outs to the podium for a post game snack.  WTF wants to go 3rd and 9 when you can be 2nd and 9 when the risk is simply a time out on what might be the last time you have the ball?  Then run a draw on 4th and 9....almost as if he thought it really was 3rd and 9. 

The last drive really put a major ding on Freddie.  The play calling, formations and personnel package (I'm pretty sure that should not be plural), on the last 4 downs was beyond abysmal.  Zero creativity with 2 time outs.  No draws, but Chubb split out wide where he is a non-factor.  He's absolutely right in that he needs to do a better job.  That was trash.  

Again, just my opinion after sleeping on this L.

1. On Baker - he is dancing too much in the pocket as was pointed out last night. Doesn't look comfortable, probably not getting the looks he's expecting, defense shifting at the snap to mess with him, etc. That said, he's year 2 and I expect a certain degree of that as teams scheme against him. I think he can overcome it but it needs to happen soon or we're in for a long year. Play calling isn't helping him, see my second link above, wtf Freddie?

2. Freddie's PI call - don't really have a problem with it either way. Has much bigger issues IMO.

3. Last drive - 100% agree. Every week Freddie is saying he needs to put the team in better positions and call better plays. Yea, we know, how's about you do it? That was almost criminal on the goal line with the game on the line. He should take the blame for it.

4. When it was announced our starting secondary was out against the Rams I was :eek:. That defense played it's ### off and should get credit for keeping that game close. They played great IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

Last drive - 100% agree. Every week Freddie is saying he needs to put the team in better positions and call better plays. Yea, we know, how's about you do it? That was almost criminal on the goal line with the game on the line. He should take the blame for it.

It wasn't just the last drive. It's the whole game. There is zero cohesiveness. It's a disjointed mess. There is no sequencing, it's just ehhh this play sounds good.  It's the exact opposite of what he did last year.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

When it was announced our starting secondary was out against the Rams I was :eek:. That defense played it's ### off and should get credit for keeping that game close. They played great IMO.

It went better than I thought it would, but we have depth in the back 7. We can afford some attrition back there; we just can't up front. The only spot I was real worried about was Burris instead of Randall and that turned out okay. Carrie and Mitchell showed last year they're capable, Murray's fine as long as you don't demand too much, and while he just missed his big play opp Mack Wilson built off his well earned July/August reputation. The only actual problem was Whitehead instead of Burnett.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Same play? Don't think it is but still needs to be a TD, would have been last year. https://twitter.com/Zip_30/status/1176090388597264385

Here's the other one I have a pretty big problem with, this is pretty close to throwing a flea flicker out of your own endzone, not quite as bad but close https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1175971891795959809

Thanks for the links.  I didn't realize last night that he had Jarvis there.

Your second link is happening more than once a game.  I was irate when I saw that replay last night.  That's coaching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

4. When it was announced our starting secondary was out against the Rams I was :eek:. That defense played it's ### off and should get credit for keeping that game close. They played great IMO.

Good call.  I'm too negative after losses....I was very pleased with the defense overall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Good call.  I'm too negative after losses....I was very pleased with the defense overall.  

I'm worried how they're going to respond if the offense doesn't remove its head from its ### - like, now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Same play? Don't think it is but still needs to be a TD, would have been last year. https://twitter.com/Zip_30/status/1176090388597264385

Here's the other one I have a pretty big problem with, this is pretty close to throwing a flea flicker out of your own endzone, not quite as bad but close https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1175971891795959809

It is the same play.  The screenshot I linked shows what Baker sees as he's making his decision.  The frozen shot it shows the DB directly in front of Jarvis but even in your clip take a look AT THE MOMENT Baker is delivering the ball.  Jarvis has not separated from the DB, OBJ has his back turned and has the safety so he's out of the picture as is Chubb.  The WR at the hash has zero separation.  The TE looked like had split the seem, he had beaten the CB but the safety closed the gap and got over the top of the throw.

It is easy to see with 20/20 and even Baker has admitted he will have nightmares about not throwing to Jarvis but its a bang-bang and the TE flatened out his route instead of running out so the DB caught up with him as Baker delivered the ball.

The second one is VERY-MISLEADING from the angle of those shots.  It doesn't show Baker who had been sacked by the time those go-routes had a chance.  It was a truly awful call by Freddie in that case but those angles don't show Baker.  I remember that specific call very well and I was furious he had three guys running deep routes considering the pressure was not allowing those routes.

And the offensive line stat showing Baker is getting the most time to throw are one of the worst examples of misleading information.

Baker begins to scramble and buys time but he's scrambling horizontally and cutting the field in half.  He also isn't going with his first-quick read so that means he is wanting/expecting/needing his WRs to adjust and/or come back to him so he inevitably scrambles all the way to the far hash and overthrows or tries to force it and gets picked.  It adds up to a very long play but its a garbage stat because he can't throw for most of that time an when he's forced to throw it is a poor option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I'm worried how they're going to respond if the offense doesn't remove its head from its ### - like, now.

Thought about this too but good teams don't have let downs because one side of the ball isn't performing up to expectations. I look at all the Superbowl teams that won with defense and and offense that was predicated on "just don't lose the game". Not saying our D is that caliber but it's pretty good and moreover, it's a hill this team has to climb to become a winner. One side picking up the other until they get up to speed. How many times have you seen one side of the ball step up their game because the other side is carrying the load? I can see this team doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I'm worried how they're going to respond if the offense doesn't remove its head from its ### - like, now.

Warren Sharp‏Verified account @SharpFootball 12h12 hours ago

Apart from the condensed set on 2nd down (sprint-right), every single play: 11 personnel Empty sets Chubb always on the left No motion 5-man protections Baker predictably under pressure No pick/rubs, just hoping a WR runs open & Baker has time. Not ideal.

---------------------------------

11 (personnel grouping with 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) is the NFL standard for 29 of 32 teams.  We are 'kinda' stuck right now in that we don't have any viable NFL starting TEs to go with 12 (1 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs) as much as we did last year and with great success. 

Last year we had Fells who was a good in-line blocking TE who could 'rarely/occasionally' help as a receiver (see Baker's first NFL TD and  his recent TD with his new team).  When Njuko is healthy it will help but right now we're limited in what sort of personnel groupings make sense but Warren Sharp is right to point out how Chubb lines up to the left side and we have limited protections with no picks or rubs which is the NFL standard for most teams.

It seems Freddie is learning on the job.  He's gradually fixing issues from the first and second games so he'll probably eventually get around to fixing this but I'd like to see him get ahead of other team instead of reacting.  We have Todd Monken for goodness sakes.  Let him call the plays while the bullets are  flying/clock is ticking but when they have time have them both work out the game plan and come up with something more creative.  I'm sure they have the plays but even if we're limited in personnel to certain groupings we can be much more creative.  

Sean  McVay burned us with rubs/picks coming out of halftime with Cooper Kupp and crossed up Wilk's 6 wide front by running up the middle.  

Just good smart football.  We are limited but we can be more creative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

When it was announced our starting secondary was out against the Rams I was :eek:. That defense played it's ### off and should get credit for keeping that game close. They played great IMO.

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP

Consider that #Browns claimed S Juston Burris on Friday and he played the entire game. Credit to Steve Wilks for having his unit ready.

8:40 AM - 23 Sep 2019

------------------------------------

Amazing job by Wilks.

EDIT to add  THIS!

-----------------------------

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP 30m30 minutes ago

Worried about Kitchens taking on too much as rookie coach, balancing all other duties along with play-calling. He’s new to this. It will all take time. #Browns

Edited by Bracie Smathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kitchens was horrible.  Stop running 5 wide sets inside the 10 already, jesus.  

Not challenging the PI was idiotic.  Were you waiting for later or something?

Compared to Mcvay we were running a tecmo bowl offense.  Not even tecmo super bowl, I am talking the original with 4 plays.   Zero creativity.  

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a chess match last night.  Good football!

I guess they decided 11 formation gave them their best shot.  I dunno.  Too much pressure, IMO.  

Pretty good result given the injuries / match-up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daveR said:

Quite a chess match last night.  Good football!

I guess they decided 11 formation gave them their best shot.  I dunno.  Too much pressure, IMO.  

Pretty good result given the injuries / match-up.  

The Browns hung with a very good Rams team.   The Browns have equal talent to the Rams and that's half the battle.  Play calling was the difference.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beer 30 said:

1. On Baker - he is dancing too much in the pocket as was pointed out last night. Doesn't look comfortable, probably not getting the looks he's expecting, defense shifting at the snap to mess with him, etc. That said, he's year 2 and I expect a certain degree of that as teams scheme against him. I think he can overcome it but it needs to happen soon or we're in for a long year. Play calling isn't helping him, see my second link above, wtf Freddie?

2. Freddie's PI call - don't really have a problem with it either way. Has much bigger issues IMO.

3. Last drive - 100% agree. Every week Freddie is saying he needs to put the team in better positions and call better plays. Yea, we know, how's about you do it? That was almost criminal on the goal line with the game on the line. He should take the blame for it.

4. When it was announced our starting secondary was out against the Rams I was :eek:. That defense played it's ### off and should get credit for keeping that game close. They played great IMO.

I have been listening to Bill O'Brien say this for 6 years. Well, yesterday may have been the first time he really did a much better job with play calling. He actually called a flea flicker on 3rd and 1, and then on 2nd and longer than 7, in 17 chances, he called a pass play everytime. Deshaun Watson was 13 of 14 on those downs. O'Brien is known for running the ball on 2nd and long so that 3rd is more manageable. He broke that tendency yesterday.

So there is hope, Browns' fans, there is hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Thought about this too but good teams don't have let downs because one side of the ball isn't performing up to expectations. I look at all the Superbowl teams that won with defense and and offense that was predicated on "just don't lose the game". Not saying our D is that caliber but it's pretty good and moreover, it's a hill this team has to climb to become a winner. One side picking up the other until they get up to speed. How many times have you seen one side of the ball step up their game because the other side is carrying the load? I can see this team doing that.

Step one - be a good team. We aren't.

Given the undisciplined nature of the first three games I have no confidence in the defense keeping it together if the losses keep piling up unless the offense shows a pulse, which there's no reason to believe will happen right now.

Edited by MAC_32
version one was poorly written

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, daveR said:

Quite a chess match last night.  Good football!

I guess they decided 11 formation gave them their best shot.  I dunno.  Too much pressure, IMO.  

Pretty good result given the injuries / match-up.  

That's what it looked like to me too. NFL game's are often lost the Tuesday before. And this one was lost on Tuesday. The Rams are built to stop 11 personnel. We played right into their hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveR said:

I guess they decided 11 formation gave them their best shot.  I dunno.

27 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The Rams are built to stop 11 personnel. We played right into their hands.

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

11 (personnel grouping with 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) is the NFL standard for 29 of 32 teams.  We are 'kinda' stuck right now in that we don't have any viable NFL starting TEs to go with 12 (1 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs) as much as we did last year and with great success.

I do agree with Bracie, I think their hands were tied based on the personnel they had available.  With Higgins and Njoku out, not many more viable WRs past Beckham/Landry.  Baker has some familiarity with Ratley, so that made some sense.  But no one else really.  The new TEs produced a little, but they needed blocking TEs and not receiving TEs - which is all they have after Njoku.

I do think there could have been some more creativity by the coaching staff.  The 11 personnel, when run with the quick set, kept the Rams on their heels a few times.  Once CLE went back to the shotgun, they lost all momentum.  This offense still doesn't have an identity.  Most fans think we know what it is - a quick strike, RPO team.  But it's like the OC and HC think they are a go long team.  It just doesn't jive.  Kitchens is learning on the job, and I'm fine with that...but he needs to know what's working and what isn't, then make some good adjustments moving forward. 

I didn't expect them to beat the Rams, but I was pleasantly surprised they hung with them and had the chance to pull an upset in the final seconds - even after some of the poor play calling/coaching earlier in the game.  Kudos to Wilks and the defense for keeping them in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

That's what it looked like to me too. NFL game's are often lost the Tuesday before. And this one was lost on Tuesday. The Rams are built to stop 11 personnel. We played right into their hands.

True.

But also 11 personnel isn't necessarily the problem.  It's the formations and plays with that personnel.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.