What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Who’s trolling. Guarantee there will be talk of firing him tomorrow.
there was “talk” of firing him after week 1. 

it’s noise.  

this team is going to be up and down. 

realistic fans were not talking about playoffs this year.  let’s see how they develop and where they end up.  

Saying there should be talk about a coaching change does not mean I think there should be a coaching change, and a coaching change is not necessarily a solution, nor did I say it would be one. 

Saying there should be talk about a coaching change does not mean I think there should be a coaching change, and a coaching change is not necessarily a solution, nor did I say it would be one. 
thanks for clearing that up. 

typically if you don’t agree with the hot take, you don’t support the hot take existing. 

Baker Mayfield was HORRIBLE tonight. Johnny Manziel has had better games.
sorry, but these lazy Manziel/Mayfield comparisons need to stop.  

Manziel was a lazy coke-head with no actual football skills. 

Mayfield has been wildly inconsistent, but has shown flashes of brilliance, and actually puts in the work. 

please link to a game that Manziel did better. 

Baker looks awful. He zones in on jarvis often. Odell is a crazy talent and it's mind blowing when guys like him don't get double targets. Especially when they are down.  Whats the point of even trading for him if you aren't going to throw him the ball. I also believe kitchens is in over his head. He got the HC job because he was "friends" with baker. They have crazy talent across the board but its just awful to watch.

Baker looks awful. He zones in on jarvis often. Odell is a crazy talent and it's mind blowing when guys like him don't get double targets. Especially when they are down.  Whats the point of even trading for him if you aren't going to throw him the ball. I also believe kitchens is in over his head. He got the HC job because he was "friends" with baker. They have crazy talent across the board but its just awful to watch.
When your OL is one of the worst in the league.....it does not matter.....they cannot block hence they cannot move the football nor throw the football when Mayfield is scared for his life. He looks terrified. He has the yips. He is shell shocked. 

Pretty simply to see that. He looks like a nervous wreck behind that OL. That is the main source of the infection on this team. They are not a post season football team....no freaking way. They are getting mauled in the trenches. That is where football is won and lost. Watch last nights game? KC was exposed too.

When your OL is one of the worst in the league.....it does not matter.....they cannot block hence they cannot move the football nor throw the football when Mayfield is scared for his life. He looks terrified. He has the yips. He is shell shocked. 

Pretty simply to see that. He looks like a nervous wreck behind that OL. That is the main source of the infection on this team. They are not a post season football team....no freaking way. They are getting mauled in the trenches. That is where football is won and lost. Watch last nights game? KC was exposed too.
He's making the OL look worse than it really is. 

Yeah he is not the same QB. I have stated that as well. But that OL is wretched too. Not a strength and Mayfield is clearly shell shocked and jittery. Not trusting his players and letting it fly. Holding the ball, patting the ball, but his OL is also.....poor in pass protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he is not the same QB. I have stated that as well. But that OL is wretched too. Not a strength and Mayfield is clearly shell shocked and jittery. Not trusting his players and letting it fly. Holding the ball, patting the ball, but his OL is also.....poor in pass protection.
Not a strength, sure. Wasnt ever supposed to be. Wasnt the expectation. Sure, once San Fran could just pin their ears back it was over tonight, but we didn't get there in the first place because of the OL. They are not the problem. 

Not a strength, sure. Wasnt ever supposed to be. Wasnt the expectation. Sure, once San Fran could just pin their ears back it was over tonight, but we didn't get there in the first place because of the OL. They are not the problem. 
Well then your squad is really screwed. This is your #1 overall pick.

Well then your squad is really screwed. This is your #1 overall pick.
There's good reason I was doom and gloom going into Baltimore. Thankfully I was wrong about that game, but this one terrified me then it went much worse than I possibly imagined. Another tough spot this week on a short week to face another team on a long week, but last time their backs were against the wall they rallied. Burn this film and get to work. 

Kitchens has been bad enough so far that I wouldn't really blame anyone for saying he should be fired. 

The game plan is fricken terrible.  We can't pass protect well enough for the pass routes we want to hit to develop, but let's just keep doing that over and over again until our QB starts hearing footsteps and running from shadows? It's not just this game. 

Mayfield missing a lot of throws isn't helping either, but changing it up to run some more quick hitting stuff can also get the QB in a rhythm in addition to compensating for inadequate offensive line play. 

amnesiac said:

sorry, but these lazy Manziel/Mayfield comparisons need to stop.

Manziel was a lazy coke-head with no actual football skills.

Then give Mayfield a drug test because he was existing in a different reality tonight.

amnesiac said:

please link to a game that Manziel did better.

link

21-of-31 for 270 with 1 TD and 1 INT.

But really, I could have linked to any of Manziel's career games. Mayfield posted a 13.2 passer rating tonight. In Johnny Manziel's entire career, he never posted a passer rating that low.

Do we give up draft picks for Trent Williams or just accept that we are what we are for this year and roll the dice?

Obviously he wouldnt fix everything but our OL has games where they are overmatched.

Do we give up draft picks for Trent Williams or just accept that we are what we are for this year and roll the dice?

Obviously he wouldnt fix everything but our OL has games where they are overmatched.
Panthers OL looked over matched in the first two games.  Despite injuries taking their toll, adding a QB with a pocket presence made them look serviceable.

Kitchens has been bad enough so far that I wouldn't really blame anyone for saying he should be fired. 

The game plan is fricken terrible.  We can't pass protect well enough for the pass routes we want to hit to develop, but let's just keep doing that over and over again until our QB starts hearing footsteps and running from shadows? It's not just this game. 

Mayfield missing a lot of throws isn't helping either, but changing it up to run some more quick hitting stuff can also get the QB in a rhythm in addition to compensating for inadequate offensive line play. 
You are hired. It's pathetic that grown men coaching in the NFL are so stupid that they can't figure out the obvious. The idiot in CIN is the same way. PiT did it right in front of his face and couldn't figure out that he should be calling the same sort of quick pass plays with an OL that totally blows.

Are you saying this pathetic OL, that gives Mayfield 2 seconds Mac is not a problem? Compared to last year, it is night and day. 

Are you saying this pathetic OL, that gives Mayfield 2 seconds Mac is not a problem? Compared to last year, it is night and day. 
Mayfield was a panicked disaster in the pocket last night. It wasnt the first time this season either. He drops too deep, ball pats, double clutches, then tentatively rolls right if the first read isnt there. That's where it starts. Nothing up front matters as long as that guy is in the pocket and not the guy from last year. 

The Browns are averaging 5.0 yards per carry rushing the ball. Bosa destroyed the LT last night, but a good number of times where Mayfield has fled the pocket this year he wasn’t actually under pressure yet, or he was flushed because he simply held the ball way too long looking confused. 

The O-line hasn’t been great in pass protection, but Mayfield is making them look worse.

Trust me, as a Bills fan who watched Tyrod Taylor do it and who watched Josh Allen do it last year and some this year, I know what this looks like.

I don't think talks of firing the coach is inappropriate at all. He looks overwhelmed. Looks to me like maybe you kept the wrong coordinator as the head coach too.

Kitchens looks totally clueless standing on the side. He has no answers. Reminds me of Caldwell when he was in Detroit. Deer in headlights. 

my goodness they looked awful. 

but are we really going back to “fire the coach, bench the QB mode”?

weren’t people talking about playoffs last week?

this rollercoaster ride is making me nauseous. 

my goodness they looked awful. 

but are we really going back to “fire the coach, bench the QB mode”?

weren’t people talking about playoffs last week?

this rollercoaster ride is making me nauseous. 
No. Hot taeker's gonna hot taek. Ignore the over reactions. It's simple minded foolishness.

Sick of dumb penalties.  Sick of running 5 wide sets inside the 10 yard line.  Sick of WRs dropping easy balls.  Sick of Mayfield's terrible pocket presence.  

They are getting trounced by teams they should at least compete with. And it’s past the point of just being complacent and having to light a fire. Kitchens is totally out of his league. This is not a rebuilding team. An average coach should be able to make this team .500.  Kitchens is therefore below average.  Hire slow fire fast

Wilks got his ### kicked last night by Shanahan who had two weeks to sit and prepare.

Baker looked like ####. 

Freddie using at TE to block Bosa mano-a-mano?  What in the natural #### was that???

The schedule made this an incredibly difficult game for the Browns

The San Francisco 49ers had two weeks to prepare for the Cleveland Browns, who had to make the long trip out to the West Coast and it looked like it. 

...the Browns were beaten by alignment. Steve Wilks has been fantastic this year in terms of game plans and getting players in position to play good defense. In this game, he was soundly beaten by Kyle Shanahan.

Specifically, the amount of times the 49ers would line up with inline tight ends with a defensive end head up on the tackle, giving up outside leverage. Whether it was a reach block or a down block from the tight end, the 49ers had all kinds of options and used them all at various points in the game.

...Baker Mayfield was dreadful and he's struggling when it comes to facing teams that can generate pressure without being forced to blitz him. In the three games he's faced teams able to get heavy pressure with four or five, dropping six or seven into coverage, namely the Tennessee Titans, Los Angeles Rams and 49ers, he's developing awful habits.

He doesn't get rid of the ball on time. Some of this is due to the fact no one is open. Mayfield then tries to extend the play, often rolling to his right and allowing the pressure to track him down for the sack.

...here are questions that need to be asked the offensive coaching staff that likely won't have satisfying answers.

The Browns are down David Njoku. Demetrius Harris has been ineffective to put it kindly. Pharaoh Brown was good against the Baltimore Ravens, but every other game has been a struggle. Ricky Seals-Jones is intriguing receiving threat, but can't block.

And yet, the Browns are not only continuing to often have two tight ends out there, they aren't just using them to help the offensive tackles block. On any number of occasions, the Browns had a tight end trying to single block Nick Bosa in the run and even passing game. And considering what Bosa did to Greg Robinson and Joel Bitonio on some choice plays, it's not a surprise how the tight ends did.

The Browns have who they have for the time being up front and if they can't count on them, they have to account for them. They do try to do things like screens and creative run concepts to help them, which is helpful and has proven to work. To seemingly understand the problem, work to deal with it and then also have situations where they have mediocre tight ends single blocking a defensive end like Bosa is two steps forward, one step back.

They are getting trounced by teams they should at least compete with. And it’s past the point of just being complacent and having to light a fire. Kitchens is totally out of his league. This is not a rebuilding team. An average coach should be able to make this team .500.  Kitchens is therefore below average.  Hire slow fire fast
they hired a first time head coach. 

he will have to learn on the job.  

he’s 2-3, let’s not hit the panic button just yet. 

Losing any confidence I had in Kitchens: What was Beckham doing on the field to return a punt with 7:30 left in the game and the Browns losing 28-3? He hadn’t returned a punt all year. I asked Kitchens about that. He said “Odell catches punts every day in practice and we decided to give him a whirl at it.”

Genius.

amnesiac said:
they hired a first time head coach. 

he will have to learn on the job.  

he’s 2-3, let’s not hit the panic button just yet. 
Still a talented team.   Not sure what happened to the D but the O needs to continue to have everything flow through Chubb.   Targeting OBJ 8 times/game should be mandatory.   He is a great WR.   Use him.  

Users who are viewing this thread