Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??

• Like 2

so does Freddie get fired tomorrow or after they lose to the Bills next week?

23 hours ago, Dez said:

Except for the past 20 years I have never once believed the Browns could make the playoffs.  This year is different and while it got off to a horrific start I see the talent in this team and if Baker can just improve his play this team has a chance.

The schedule was brutally tough to start the year but is now a lot more favorable.

The Denver game is a must get with Flacco out.

Home to the Bills will be tough but this is a team they have to beat at home if they are the team I expect them to be.

They proved their ability when they went into Baltimore and man handled this 5 win team.  They were never going to win at NE and they had a great shot to beat Seattle.  The Tennessee game hurts but they imploded that one.

I still believe.

Like I said, empty promises and unfounded optimism.

17 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

Would love to hear the stupid explanation for taking Chubb out on that 3rd and 1 play and trying it with the inferior RB. The announcers commented on it. When announcers know more than the coaching staff, you got a coaching problem.

27 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

Doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Would love to hear the stupid explanation for taking Chubb out on that 3rd and 1 play and trying it with the inferior RB. The announcers commented on it. When announcers know more than the coaching staff, you got a coaching problem.

The more glaring problem is not having him out there on the next play. 

No point discussing specifics. It isn't a matter of attacking the guy, we all like him but he's not an NFL HC.  We have talent but you don't give a JAG positional coach a talented NFL roster when he's never been a HC on any level and ALSO give him OC duties and watch him make rookie game-time mistakes and allow him to make head scratching personnel moves and then wonder why a guy like OBJ hasn't looked as good as he looked when Eli was throwing him the ball or why the guy who broke Peyton Manning's rookie TD record looks out of sorts.  Or why we lead the league in penalties when Greg Williams had a winning record with a less experienced and less talented roster.

The season was not going to turn around, its over, dead.  It's as dead as a parrot in a Monty Python sketch.  Their is nothing other than the annual checklist.

1. Fire the head coach
  2. Draft watch

Only a matter of time before #1 happens so might as well start looking forward to the draft.

2020 NFL Draft Order

I'm a hothead and I don't mind being called a cracker but publicly posting that sort of thing is a sure way to get yourself fired.

16 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Nice takling. Who was the first one that just used his shoulder, no hands, arms?

Browns Waive Jermaine Whitehead After Social Media Meltdown

After losing to the Denver Broncos, safety Jermaine Whitehead refused to speak with the media after the game, but took to his Twitter account to address critics. He played poorly in the game, decided to search his name on the app and tweet at naysayers, first seemingly to tell his side, that he was playing with a broken hand. That then escalated into threatening a few of them, both fans and members of the media. It went far enough that Twitter decided stepped in and suspend the account.

The Browns released a statement Sunday evening calling the conduct unprofessional and stating they had spoken to Whitehead about it. Monday, they have announced that they have waived Whitehead.

Whitehead has not played well for the team for much of the season. He was pressed into duty at free safety against the Broncos with injuries to both Damarious Randall and Eric Murray. He's a strong safety if he's anything, so he was put in a poor position in the first place. 

This season, he hasn't played well at either spot, but it was particularly noticeable against the Broncos. It was strange the team didn't put Juston Burris at free safety, especially if Whitehead was playing with a broken hand. He missed just about every tackle he tried to make, opting to throw his shoulder at many of them, unwilling to try to wrap. A broken hand might indicate help explain why.

This is Us...I Hate Being Us

Least I'll get my Sundays back unimpeded with senseless hours of watching a team that cares less about winning and more about fashion statements then models in NY. I'm going to intentionally not watch next week, more for my personal sanity than as some kind of statement. My time is too valuable to waste on this #### anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I wonder if Jermaine Whitehead prefers the minimalist prose of Hemmingway or the sweeping wordplay of James Joyce.

Ryan Engle‏ @rengle83 13h13 hours ago

I read the survival handbook for these situations. If you’re attacked by a Jermaine Whitehead, just pretend like you’re a tight end running at a moderate pace and he won’t touch you.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 6

I'm more than a little concerned that I've seen Bitonio blown up several times lately.  Is he 100%?

4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I wonder if Jermaine Whitehead prefers the minimalist prose of Hemmingway or the sweeping wordplay of James Joyce.

Soulja Boy felt dumber after reading that tweet.

Burns:

4th down breakdown

Nice ball to me

Mind boggling

Warren Sharp

@SharpFootball

·

3h

Another week goes by. Another loss by the Browns. Another opportunity missed to pass from 12 more often. Wk 9 passing splits vs the Broncos: From 11: 42% success, 6.0 YPA, 88 rtg From 12: 67% success, 10.4 YPA, 110 rtg. Yet 86% of attempts (38) from 11 & only 14% (6) from 12.

:wall:

I'm not going to indict anything 12 related from last week. RSJ was knocked out and Stephen Carlson isn't the answer to anything, but he was the only TE left.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

James Palmer‏Verified account @JamesPalmerTV

Browns trade DE/LB Genard Avery to Eagles

12:05 PM - 28 Oct 2019

--------------------------------------

Jimmy Donovan reported on the  news it is thought to be for a 2021 4th round pick.  

I have no idea why we couldn't find a way to get Avery on the field.  

Didn't take long for him to blow up with the Eagles.

Cleveland Browns News: Genard Avery already shines with new team

Despite having a solid rookie campaign, the Cleveland Browns decided to move on from Genard Avery and he’s already showing he was worth the price for his new team.

A former fifth-round pick out of Memphis, Avery looked to be quite a steal for the Brown after he recorded 40 tackles and 4.5 sacks as a rookie. He did that while playing all 16 games with five starts.

Then in 2019, he was active for just one game with Cleveland and recorded a single tackle. Apparently a poor fit in the scheme run by first-year defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, Avery was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for a fourth-round pick.

In his first game with the Eagles, he recorded a sack on his first play and finished with three tackles for them. It’s safe to say after one game, Philadelphia is happy with the deal they made.

"For What It's Worth", we were not always "Helplessly Hoping" we used to have a team that was cool enough for Steven Stills to rock our jersey on stage..  >>>> Oh well, "Carry On"

Apparently a poor fit in the scheme run by first-year defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

Speaks volumes. You suck as a NFL coach when your 'scheme' doesn't fit a player. See Mike Martz - Greg Olsen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

Apparently a poor fit in the scheme run by first-year defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

Speaks volumes. You suck as a NFL coach when your 'scheme' doesn't fit a player. See Mike Martz - Greg Olsen.

Yeah can you imagine the horror Martz must have felt at trying to incorporate an uncoverable athletic freak like him? Must have been a pain. Such an offensive genius but boy don't ask him to make room for a HOF weapon.

JK I'm a Bears fan #### Martz. Right in his neck.

10-6

I like Garrett, but what’s so hard about saying “We’re focused on Buffalo this week.” ???

7 hours ago, amnesiac said:

10-6

I like Garrett, but what’s so hard about saying “We’re focused on Buffalo this week.” ???

Of course, “fan’’ took on a new meaning for Garrett when he rolled down his window recently to take a picture with one, and got punched in the face instead. 

wtf? :lmao:

2 hours ago, kodycutter said:

Of course, “fan’’ took on a new meaning for Garrett when he rolled down his window recently to take a picture with one, and got punched in the face instead. 

wtf? :lmao:

yeah that was a few weeks ago. 

weird stuff.  

new prediction:

if the Browns lose tomorrow, someone is getting fired.  i am guessing Todd Monken will be the sacrificial lamb.  

anyone else?

Who is more of a dumpster fire for the rest of the year - Browns or Jets?   Will either team have anything to play for?  Browns seem to have more talent overall, both QBs should stay in focus also, but from things I'm hearing, Mayfield my not be that great of a leader to lead them through this.  Darnold?  Not sure.

Can Baker Mayfield please throw the ball beyond 20 yards in the first half of the football game.  That's all I ask.  Honestly it's not hard.  If it's incomplete so what   maybe a pass interference will happen. 

Seriously , what happened to this gun slinging offense from last year ?

Edited by Chickenwang
Added

2 minutes ago, Chickenwang said:

Can Baker Mayfield please throw the ball beyond 20 yards in the first half of the football game.  That's all I ask.  Seriously , what happened to this gun slinging offense from last year ?

The Browns are going to beat the Bills.   But, it's going to happen because of a great game by Chubb and not due to Mayfield. 

i've heard it all this year:

they’re forcing the ball to OBJ, they need to throw to OBJ more, the line sucks, the line is fine, Baker scrambles too much, he doesn’t scramble enough, they’re too conservative, they need to run more trick plays, Baker eats too many Twinkie’s...

i agree, run the ball and make a ####### tackle on defense.  oh, right we draft DBs that can’t tackle.  

ugh.  

Callaway,  healthy scratch.

----------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak

#Browns WR Antonio Callaway a healthy scratch for today’s game vs. #Bills; S Damarious Randall returns after 2-game absence.

----------------------------------------

First time in his career he's been a healthy scratch.  He has played like crap, 4 game suspension for drugs and then he's only caught 8 passes for 89 yards in the four games he's been active.  He's made a lot of mistakes, penalties/dropped passes/balls bouncing off his hands for interceptions.

Hopefully Rashard Higgins gets his chance.

The bad news is that DE Chad Thomas takes over for Olivier Vernon who had been playing well but got injured late in the game last week in Denver.  The timing of that trade of DE Genard Avery could not have been worse.

Fire kitchens now.  You kick the fg to go up 2 scores especially when you cant get a yard 7 straight tries.

Also maybe stop running at the goaline  with 4 WRs.

Maybe also try something other than a fade

4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Hopefully Rashard Higgins gets his chance.

:thumbup:

EDIT:  

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Kitchens said Callaway’s scratch is between him and Callaway. Translation: it was probably disciplinary

1:35 PM - 10 Nov 2019

------------------------------------

He should have been scratched based on merit.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
  • Like 2

WTF was that TO at the end of the 3rd quarter?

3 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Fire kitchens now.  You kick the fg to go up 2 scores especially when you cant get a yard 7 straight tries.

i disagree with this part.  they lost last weekend in Denver because they kept settling for FGs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amnesiac said:

i disagree with this part.  they lost last weekend in Denver because they kept settling for FGs.  

They were stuffed 7 plays in a row.

It would have made it a 2 score game.

You are wrong

3 minutes ago, Random said:

What a crappy win.  

A win is a win.  Granted, they should have lost.  This team still isn't playing to their potential.  I appreciate the going for it on the goal line, but why wasn't Hunt in there with Chubb?  Hunt was powerful as a FB in front of Chubb when he was in there.  Even Higgins was hitting his blocks with power.  I liked they were feeding the ball to OBJ - even if he didn't catch it, he got the DPI call that helped move the ball.  Keep that up.  This team still needs an identity, and hopefully they can find it before they play the Steelers on Thursday.  It's another winnable game if they run the damn ball and don't get cute.  Sprinkle in some play action to take advantage of Haden and his lack of coverage skills.  This shouldn't be hard.

Also....what kind of defense was that?  I would agree about Monken, but man Wilks is irritating almost as much, if not more!

• Like 1

Agree the team is still not hitting on all cylinders, my biggest question was what the hell was going on in the redzone? You ran 2? 3? WR fades with one guy in the pattern? Then the stupid pitches, shovels. Strap your ####### helmet on, let Chubb/Hunt flip a coin for who blocks for who and run the ball into the endzone. Freddie has zero situational awareness, none. That's my problem with the team right now.

• Like 1

We are a very talented team that can beat anybody. We are a very dumb team that can lose to anybody. If we don't gift wrap Thursday to the Steelers we should win. The problem is I expect them to. 

Freddie isn't the problem. Baker isn't the problem. They all are. And I dont think it's any more complicated than that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

We are a very talented team that can beat anybody. We are a very dumb team that can lose to anybody. If we don't gift wrap Thursday to the Steelers we should win. The problem is I expect them to. 

Freddie isn't the problem. Baker isn't the problem. They all are. And I dont think it's any more complicated than that. 

Yea but that's a simple answer with a complicated result. Each of those (Freddie & Baker) have multiple issues that in the aggregate add up to not good. Kinda like the teacher telling you there is only one question on the test...with 15 subquestions under it.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

Yea but that's a simple answer with a complicated result. Each of those (Freddie & Baker) have multiple issues that in the aggregate add up to not good. Kinda like the teacher telling you there is only one question on the test...with 15 subquestions under it.

I agree. And we live in a time of scapegoats, CYA, and false narratives. Especially in the NFL. But it's why I don't expect this train to find the tracks again. One, two, three, more of our problems could be corrected and we still ultimately fail because it's more than just that. I'm not going to sit and here and pretend to know what's going to happen between now and the end of December, but I've seen enough to feel comfortable saying we'll dumb our way to at least a couple more losses. And if we lose our collective heads, possibly quite a bit more.

The Bills are in five wide inside the 10. I know the perfect defense - cover 0!

:crazy:

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I agree. And we live in a time of scapegoats, CYA, and false narratives. Especially in the NFL. But it's why I don't expect this train to find the tracks again. One, two, three, more of our problems could be corrected and we still ultimately fail because it's more than just that. I'm not going to sit and here and pretend to know what's going to happen between now and the end of December, but I've seen enough to feel comfortable saying we'll dumb our way to at least a couple more losses. And if we lose our collective heads, possibly quite a bit more.

The Bills are in five wide inside the 10. I know the perfect defense - cover 0!

:crazy:

I was screaming at the TV "HE IS GOING TO RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE!!!" You think they listened? Hell no. I was just telling the other Browns fan in the office about that today. How the hell you not have somebody keyed on the QB, even after he ran the same play on the same drive earlier, it was just a pass play you actually defended but I guarantee the OC saw that and called that QB draw in the redzone.

We should beat Cincy twice and Miami, after that I'm with you, we'll lose another 1-2 or more because of stupidity before it's all said & done.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

I was screaming at the TV "HE IS GOING TO RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE!!!" You think they listened? Hell no. I was just telling the other Browns fan in the office about that today. How the hell you not have somebody keyed on the QB, even after he ran the same play on the same drive earlier, it was just a pass play you actually defended but I guarantee the OC saw that and called that QB draw in the redzone.

We should beat Cincy twice and Miami, after that I'm with you, we'll lose another 1-2 or more because of stupidity before it's all said & done.

Me too. Except there were also expletives involved. And while the kids weren't in the room. They were apparently in ear shot. That was a fun halftime conversation.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Me too. Except there were also expletives involved. And while the kids weren't in the room. They were apparently in ear shot. That was a fun halftime conversation.

My kids know I cuss when I watch Browns games.:bag:

Why so few ints this year?  Last year we were 5th in the league.  This year 4th from the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Random said:

Why so few ints this year?  Last year we were 5th in the league.  This year 4th from the bottom.

Change in defensive scheme/philosophy.  Wilks runs a more zone coverage scheme, so the only point of attack is on the random blitz package.  I think if you let Greedy and Ward play more man coverage, which they excel at, we'd see a difference in INTs.  It's hard to force fumbles when you only send your Dline to pressure.  The big boys in the middle are hardly getting a breather and look winded by the end of the game.

I think the offense is starting to come around, almost like it was built for Higgins and Hunt's participation (not Calloway and Hilliard).  The focus will quickly turn to Wilks' soft scheme zone defense this 2nd half of the season.

• Like 1

Baldinger breaks down the Browns new "Wing T" formation with Baker, Chubb, and Hunt.  Extremely happy to see this, as it offers so many new options to the offense.  Put those two in the backfield with Baker, and teams will have to respect the run, which should open up things for either OBJ or Landry in the passing game.  Even keeping Chubb back to help pass protect while Hunt runs to the flat or corner is a boon!  Enjoyed watching this work on Sunday, and hoping to see more of it on Thursday.

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Juice, Higgins.  No way Ds can cover these guys.