Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

Please Higgins over Callaway. Though I traded Mayfield, so not sure why I still care.

Oh yeah, I roster Hunt. Keep feeding him. 

2 minutes ago, Random said:

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Juice, Higgins.  No way Ds can cover these guys.  

Well, Buffalo held this group to 19 just two days ago, so...

12 minutes ago, Random said:

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Juice, Higgins.  No way Ds can cover these guys.  

3-6...somebody figured it out

And yea I know Hunt is new to the equation. He makes a difference and brings a dynamic no one should be able to stop (arguably the top 2 RB's int eh league in the same backfield). I'm just not convinced that our HC is willing to acknowledge we are a run first team. We'll find out Thursday. I'd run the ball down their throat until they stop it...then run it some more.

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Please Higgins over Callaway

From what I've read elsewhere, the ice is thin under Callaway.  He's been having a lot of issues and made some bone-headed mistakes, thus the 1 game benching last week.  I agree with you, play Higgins more often.  Higgins should be able to take on DB3 or DB4 and make plays.  He has great route running, and seems to have been in Baker's mind last year.  Getting open for the game winning TD on Sunday was great to see.  Higgins and Baker just click, which again should help open things up for other playmakers.

The coaches need to get out of their own way and let these guys play.

Just now, Peak said:

From what I've read elsewhere, the ice is thin under Callaway.  He's been having a lot of issues and made some bone-headed mistakes, thus the 1 game benching last week.  I agree with you, play Higgins more often.  Higgins should be able to take on DB3 or DB4 and make plays.  He has great route running, and seems to have been in Baker's mind last year.  Getting open for the game winning TD on Sunday was great to see.  Higgins and Baker just click, which again should help open things up for other playmakers.

The coaches need to get out of their own way and let these guys play.

Even in preseason it looked like Mayfield/Higgins would be something this year. I'm not sure what the coaches are really thinking with Callaway. Maybe as a field stretcher to leave room for OBJ and Landry to operate underneath? 

35 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Even in preseason it looked like Mayfield/Higgins would be something this year. I'm not sure what the coaches are really thinking with Callaway. Maybe as a field stretcher to leave room for OBJ and Landry to operate underneath? 

His speed is definitely an asset.  Now if he could get that thing between his ears to become just as valuable an asset, well then you might have a good football player.  :shrug:

42 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

3-6...somebody figured it out

And yea I know Hunt is new to the equation. He makes a difference and brings a dynamic no one should be able to stop (arguably the top 2 RB's int eh league in the same backfield). I'm just not convinced that our HC is willing to acknowledge we are a run first team. We'll find out Thursday. I'd run the ball down their throat until they stop it...then run it some more.

I get what you're saying, but that isn't going to work against this team. Need to take advantage of their MoF defenders in the pass game (but stay the hell away from Minkah), task your WR's with winning one-on-one, and tell Baker they will intercept every pass he misses high. Chubb and Hunt can do work in this game, but at least some of it needs to be in the air. Be happy if the Browns don't lose the battle up front because they sure won't win it.

1 hour ago, Peak said:

Baldinger breaks down the Browns new "Wing T" formation with Baker, Chubb, and Hunt.  Extremely happy to see this, as it offers so many new options to the offense.  Put those two in the backfield with Baker, and teams will have to respect the run, which should open up things for either OBJ or Landry in the passing game.  Even keeping Chubb back to help pass protect while Hunt runs to the flat or corner is a boon!  Enjoyed watching this work on Sunday, and hoping to see more of it on Thursday.

Late in the season, talented RB with fresh  legs paired with one of the best RBs in the league when the team desperately need a 'good' pass catching/pass-pro 3rd down back and a lead blocker/ability to give quality reps to rest talented RB and take heat off struggling 2nd year QB/O-Line is special.  

Alone teams could scheme to offset the impact but with OBJ and Landry teams have to bracket cover.

The Wing-T is built with a RB duo that is the most talented in the league so it isn't a gimmick.  Baker has been  keeping his negative plays down since the BYE.

----------------------

Quincy Carrier‏ @Kwen_C

Baker Mayfield 3 games since bye week: 705 YRDs - 66% Comp. - 4 TDs - 1 INT vs. The 2nd (NE), 5th (BUF) & 9th (DEN) Ranked Pass Defenses. Not mind-blowing numbers, but evidence he is starting to turn the corner against good defenses.

5:27 PM - 10 Nov 2019

--------------------

If Kitchens can keep the penalties and poor game-time decisions down to an acceptable scream and if we make 'smart' personnel moves then the addition of Hunt/Wing-T can build something on offense heading into next year.

9 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

That one hurt. Please beat the Steelers.  Thanks

NOTHING would please us more than to take them out two of the next three games.

Hoping the Bills keep it up but Josh needs to improve those vertical throws and please give Singletary more carries.

2 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

NOTHING would please us more than to take them out two of the next three games.

Hoping the Bills keep it up but Josh needs to improve those vertical throws and please give Singletary more carries.

Yeah the deep ball isn't there this year, it was last year. Browns stacked the box rightfully so the second half after some Allen and Singletary success, they threw to him seven times. The screen was set up perfectly to him on the tip.  Garrett is a freak, hopefully his performance against the Bills leads to Lee Smith being cut.

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I get what you're saying, but that isn't going to work against this team. Need to take advantage of their MoF defenders in the pass game (but stay the hell away from Minkah), task your WR's with winning one-on-one, and tell Baker they will intercept every pass he misses high. Chubb and Hunt can do work in this game, but at least some of it needs to be in the air. Be happy if the Browns don't lose the battle up front because they sure won't win it.

If it involves multiple WR's taking Joe Haden to the house I'm all for it. I like Joe, just don't like him on the Steelers.

9 hours ago, beer 30 said:

(arguably the top 2 RB's int eh league in the same backfield). 

Must be been o’clock. 

19 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

that field is going to look amazing with 35,000 plastic noses on it.  

Right? That's all I keep thinking.

Nosegate 2019

• Thanks 1

if the Browns win I’m renaming my cat “Freddie Kittens”

1 minute ago, amnesiac said:

if the Browns win I’m renaming my cat “Freddie Kittens”

:rimshot:

He's here all week kids...tip your waitress!

Anyone catch local FOX8 promoting a 2 or 3 part interview series starting tonight with Hue and his wife?   Goes into his struggles and depression since the firing.  His wife starts crying in the promo.  Looks like a tear jerker!  

6 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Anyone catch local FOX8 promoting a 2 or 3 part interview series starting tonight with Hue and his wife?   Goes into his struggles and depression since the firing.  His wife starts crying in the promo.  Looks like a tear jerker!  

What's depressing is having a 3-36-1 record over three years. Getting fired should have been a blessing to him!

Only Hue Jackson was fired during the season so it's most coincidence.  But it's still interesting.

trey wingo‏Verified account @wingoz

History says tonight may be problematic for Freddie Kitchens. Cleveland hosts Pittsburgh tonight. The last 6 Browns coaches have all been fired after a Steelers game:

Hue Jackson

Mike Pettine

Rob Chudzinski

Pat Shurmur

Eric Mangini

Romeo Crennel

Edited by Don Hutson

Game Night!!!  Getting excited and ready to go!  Kitchens just needs to go with the 2 Back set and pound the ball at them all night.  If Hunt and Chubb are in the lineup together 80% of the time, I think we win.  Protect the ball, avoid the stupid (and phantom) penalties.  Be aggressive on defense.  That's what I want to see.  No soft zone coverage.  No pass-play trickery out of the gate.  If Watt wants to run in off the edge, let Hunt pick him up and plant him while Chubb steps on him running by.  Make their defense start to second guess themselves.  Play like your job is on the line, because someone's just might be.  I don't think they let Kitchens go, but I can see Monken being the sacrificial lamb.  Or Wilks, if his defensive scheme is the reason for the loss.  Hell, Wilks wasn't first choice for DC anywho, so it will just expedite the process when Dorsey goes to find his replacement in the off season.

Let's get at these yinzers and make it 7 wins since 1999!!  (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little :X, but ya'll get the idea....)

LFG!!! :football:

8 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Nice knowin' ya, Antonio

Nothing lost there, IMO.  Just means more reps for Higgins.  Dude had hands of stone.  I'm guessing he failed another drug test, but we'll probably never know the real reason.

On the plus side, they activated OL Forbes.  He looked good before his injury.  Hoping he can add some needed depth - maybe replace Hubbard?  I'm afraid of Watt eating Hubbard alive tonight.  Need to get a real RT.

8 minutes ago, Peak said:

Nothing lost there, IMO.  Just means more reps for Higgins.  

agree.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Peak said:

Nothing lost there, IMO.  

Disagree, major net gain. Picking this dolt was always an incredibly dumb decision. Liability on and off the field. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Guess we're gonna see what the "death penalty" looks like from Goodell. 

Probably second only to the Malice at the Palace.

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Guess we're gonna see what the "death penalty" looks like from Goodell. 

Probably second only to the Malice at the Palace.

Haynesworth is your comp. 

Was almost to the point where it was fun to be a fan again. Instead, break the brown bags back out. Simply can't continue to support this team in it's current state.

8 hours ago, amnesiac said:

what the actual ####?

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

Was almost to the point where it was fun to be a fan again. Instead, break the brown bags back out. Simply can't continue to support this team in it's current state.

The Browns just can not stand success. Plan & simple. I hate that BS happened at the end of what was a pretty solid game by our guys. I sincerely hope Freddie got up in his ### as soon as he walked in the locker room but I doubt it. Regardless, I'd plan the rest of the season w/o him and probably 2-4 games w/o Oganjobi.

####### Browns gotta Brown :no::wall:

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

Why this sentiment? The team doesn’t support his actions. Go watch Odell and Jarvis see the replay for the first time on live tv. Check out Bakers post game on field interview. 

That said, it will be interesting to see how the entire situation is handled by the league. Myles will get his. Pouncey/Larry should get a couple. Mason should too for his actions on the ground AND for continuing to charge at Myles who was already restrained by DeCastro.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Guy leads the league in personal fouls, if I'm not mistaken. He was quickly getting a rep breaking Siemian's ankle on a late hit and now he does this. Seems awfully odd how he's always finding really sick plays on the field.

I think there is a massive difference between late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct, and what happened last night.

Just now, MAC_32 said:

I think there is a massive difference between late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct, and what happened last night.

It seems like an emerging pattern with him is what I'm saying, and it escalated crazily last night. But they're part and parcel to each other, to some degree. They're all undisciplined, emotive actions.

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

It seems like an emerging pattern with him is what I'm saying, and it escalated crazily last night. But they're part and parcel to each other, to some degree. They're all undisciplined, emotive actions.

Undisciplined? Yes. Both before the snap and after the throw. Yuge difference between that and dirty though. Last night's inexcusable action was the first thing he's done that had that thought flow through my head.

Garret was stupid for even rushing the passer hard on that play, stupider for actually going after Rudolph like the play mattered, even stupider for going after him at all after he threw the ball, and even stupider for retaliating after rudolph was pissed about it.

• Like 1

Alright...take a breath...

9 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

, stupider for actually going after Rudolph like the play mattered, even stupider for going after him at all after he threw the ball, and even stupider for retaliating after rudolph was pissed about it.

1.  The play did matter.  These guys play til the whistle is blown.  That's how they all play - not just Garrett, but even the Steelers Defense.  Do you think they let up just becuase they were down by 2 scores with less than 2mins to play?  Nope.

2. Watch the sack again.  Garrett buried his head into Rudolph while he had the ball in his hands.  He was going for the sack.  He had no idea Rudolph tried to throw it.  He was doing his job by sacking the QB.  It happens all across the NFL.  Nothing dirty on this play.

3.  This I agree with...No reason to go crazy with the helmet.  Rudolph was embarrassed and frustrated, so he was overly emotional.  Garrett fed into that and he also became overly emotional.  I'm sure things were said, and we all saw the physical confrontation from both sides that turned into an egregious action by Garrett with the helmet.  That escalated way too quickly and looked purely emotional.

I'm not condoning Garrett's actions at all, but I think you're becoming a little too emotional yourself.  If Garrett would've stopped after the sack and walked away, you wouldn't be talking about your first two points.  That is football.  Your third point is an issue and is not football.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job by the defense last night, especially Burnett and Joe the Show.

eta:  Baker needs to improve.

Edited by daveR
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, daveR said:

Baker needs to improve.

If you look at the last four games, you can see his improvement.  

Vs PIT, BUF, DEN, NE....who all have arguably top 10 defenses in the league, Baker's stats:

90 of 143 (63% Completion) for 898 yds, 6 TD and 1 INT

The first 6 games....

112 of 198 (57% Completion) for 1496 yds, 5 TD and 11 INT

Is it perfection? No.  

Is it improvement?  Most definitely.

• Like 1

Browns’ DE Mayles Garrett suspended indefinitely

Browns’ DT Larry Ogunjobi suspended one game

Steelers’ C Maurkice Pouncey suspended suspended three games

Both teams fined $250,000, Garrett must meet with Commish before reinstatement

https://twitter.com/NFLfootballinfo/status/1195383502113509378/photo/1

HTF Rudolph gets nothing out of this is bull####

Edited by beer 30

3 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

More is coming.  I think they just announced the suspensions first.  Rudolph has to get some sort of fine out of this.

4 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

it does say additional discipline for other players will be forthcoming

Just now, Pipes said:

More is coming.  I think they just announced the suspensions first.  Rudolph has to get some sort of fine out of this.

this

1 minute ago, Pipes said:

Screw a fine, he needs suspended too and I don't care if he's a QB. Garrett didn't go after him on his own.

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Garret was stupid for even rushing the passer hard on that play, stupider for actually going after Rudolph like the play mattered, even stupider for going after him at all after he threw the ball, and even stupider for retaliating after rudolph was pissed about it.

Was Tomlin stupid for not taking a knee? Or for having his 1st string QB dropping back for a pass on that play? Remember when fans were bashing Freddie for almost getting Baker killed in a meaningless situation?

Was Kitchens stupid for having his 1st string defense in the game at that point? 

I bring these to the table only because of where you went with this (and I also agree with @Peak reply to your post, Myles did nothing wrong on the actual football play).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

The league was close to nailing this perfectly.

If Rudy gets out of this with just a fine that will be unfortunate and wrong imo, but not all that surprising.

Pleased Pouncey got at least 2 games. He should not be on the field in Heinz in 2 weeks. I don’t think Larry should be either and I would have given him 2 games, but 1 game isn’t horrible here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Screw a fine, he needs suspended too and I don't care if he's a QB. Garrett didn't go after him on his own.

Rudolph should not be suspended. He did not do anything worthy of suspension. Just be patient and street justice will take care of the problem. Not retaliatory, but now that he's shown you can get in his head others will. Until he's eventually flushed out of the league. Nature running its course.

You can stick around in this league if you're a bad quarterback. You just have to be mentally tough. And provide Monday-Saturday and February-August benefits as a backup. Maybe he can do the latter, but he showed last night that he is definitely not the former.

26 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

You can stick around in this league if you're a bad quarterback. You just have to be mentally tough. And provide Monday-Saturday and February-August benefits as a backup. Maybe he can do the latter, but he showed last night that he is definitely not the former.

Not so fast. He's a rookie...and with Browns players taking cheap shots , he relied on rookie WR'S. He also has his starting RB out, and rookie replacements and an O line that is playing terrible. Considering the team was close in the 3rd quarter, it's about what you would expect.  He has had decent games.

Edited by GROOT