What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

Dorsey - Packers, Seahawks, Packers, Chiefs.    Then the Browns who finally had hope, just not enough results fast enough.  

Haslem  - Well he has stayed out of jail.

$.02 on a couple things...

Haslam sounds like a fan.  He seems to react emotionally.  This isn't good for a guy determined to make the decisions.  It's my guess that this is what caused Dorsey to bail.  He wanted control over the head coach (hiring/firing) and Haslam wrested it from him.  I'll bet he demanded that prior to agreeing to the GM job.

$.02 on a couple things...

Haslam sounds like a fan.  He seems to react emotionally.  This isn't good for a guy determined to make the decisions.  It's my guess that this is what caused Dorsey to bail.  He wanted control over the head coach (hiring/firing) and Haslam wrested it from him.  I'll bet he demanded that prior to agreeing to the GM job.
You've got 20 years of example sitting in Washington, how's that working out?

It's my guess that this is what caused Dorsey to bail.  He wanted control over the head coach (hiring/firing) and Haslam wrested it from him.
Curious....you think Dorsey left on his own accord?  Do you think Dorsey wasn't at fault?  I think Haslam was tired of watching a sinking ship.  Dorsey was supposed to fix it, and instead he sabotaged it for his own ego.

Keep in mind his hiring choices.  Dorsey was in charge of hiring/firing.  Dorsey wanted to keep Freddie on for another year.  Dorsey brought in Monken and forced him on Freddie.  Dorsey dictated which players would play and which were in the "doghouse".  Dorseywanted control over everything and everyone.  Dorsey made a lot of poor decisions and tried to manipulate everyone to retain the control he desired.  He lied to Haslam and others, deciving them to keep them in line.  These are the same issues that got him fired in KC. 

Dorsey is a great talent evaluator, to that I don't argue.  He brought in some very good talent, but decimated the depth and didn't patch the holes he made. He'll be a GM again for sure, but he needs to find a way to work with others before he'll truly be successful.  

TheCamFrom 🇨🇦

@camfromcanada3

The original @cam_from_canada •Football •Sports •Politics •Life •Original account approaching 40K followers. It’s now a prayer ministry. DM me for info on it.

Canada

Joined October 2019

------------------------------------

This is the source of all of the inside information?  

Color me whelmed.

:coffee:

This is the source of all of the inside information?  

Color me whelmed.
Eh.  News comes from all areas/outlets these days.  Take it for what you will.  But it falls in line with Dorsey's previous actions/attitudes reported by the more mainstream outlets, if that is your preference.  Do you recall this neat tidbit from Sam Wickersham's ESPN article on the Browns, Haslam, and Dorsey taking the regins?

He knows he wasn't a fashionable choice, but he was Dorsey's choice, just as the Mayfield pick was Dorsey's pick. For once, Haslam didn't parade in friends to watch last year's draft. It was a scout's draft. The analytics team had limited influence. Dorsey was skeptical of their helpfulness when he first got the job. He told an associate that he didn't need "f---ing nerds" to tell him how to evaluate players
Or this great quote....

As Dorsey privately told an associate: "I flexed my muscles and got what I wanted."
The info has been out there, for awhile.  It's now starting to be pieced together.  You can color yourself as you will.  I'm just bringing some new views/info that tend to get overlooked. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh.  News comes from all areas/outlets these days.  Take it for what you will.  But it falls in line with Dorsey's previous actions/attitudes reported by the more mainstream outlets, if that is your preference.  Do you recall this neat tidbit from Sam Wickersham's ESPN article on the Browns, Haslam, and Dorsey taking the regins?

Or this great quote....

The info has been out there, for awhile.  It's now starting to be pieced together.  You can color yourself as you will.  I'm just bringing some new views/info that tend to get overlooked. :shrug:
Dorsey got better players than any GM since the return, two decades and he is clearly the best talent evaluator.  You can prove me wrong by showing who got a franchise QB, the most talented RB duo and the most talented WR dou.

Which regime hired Hue Jackson?  Which regime had the worst record in NFL history?  Which regime blew the signing of Mitchell Schwartz?   Which regime had the most draft picks but little to nothing to show for it?   Could it be the guys who Dorsey refused to listen to?  Yeah it would be.  Seems he knows WFT he's doing and instead of Jimmy and his ego forcing analytics down this throat he should have gone about SETTING UP HIS ORGANIZATION BETTER.

People don't have a clue that Haslam is the one who doesn't have a F'ng clue about setting up an organization and look for any flash of ego like Dorsey who when he throws that crap into the circular file is actually throwing it in the face of this guy.
From your linked article:   

"... Haslam is dazzled by the promise of new ideas. In meetings, he listens more than he talks. "He has a big ego," says a former confidant ...

walking the halls of the facility and stopping to converse with coaches and staffers regardless of rank, which is both charming and problematic. He will lean in -- he's a close talker -- and ask open questions, wanting the unvarnished truth. Each answer leads to more pointed queries. If you're a position coach, he'll ask how you rate the talent the scouts have drafted. If you're a scout, he'll ask how the coaches are developing talent. You realize he has no true football compass and is pitting you against your peers, sometimes even your boss, but in the moment it feels like you've got the owner's ear.

"You think you're the one he trusts," says a former high-level member of Browns management. "By the time you realize that he confides in everyone, it's too late. You're gone."
Dorsey to blame instead of Kitchens for the record and Dorsey to blame for the structure of the organization instead of Haslam.   Because Cam from Canada has a twitter account where nearly every post is an attack on Dorsey.  I mean come on.  The article you linked spells out who to blame for basically everything but especially for the organization because ya know he owns the team and he sets up his organization so he is responsible just like Freddie was responsible for the calls and not OC he refused to listen to.   

Add:  Freddie and  Monken set up the game plan for the week and they both had input on the scripted opening offensive drives.  

You wonder why we would start out red-hot when Todd Monken had input but then cool down when Freddie was  calling plays?

Dorsey's fault right?  He hired him.  OK,  then who the F gets blamed for Hue Jackson?  Not Sashi, he's an analytic guy.  He doesn't get  blamed  at  all but its DORSEY'S FAULT Freddie went off  the reservation.  And its DORSEY'S FAULT Jimmy pits people  against each other and can't set up an organization or hire a head coach to save his life.  Hell he is the guy who inherited Schumur and fired him because he was a rookie HC who called his own plays and then DID IT AGAIN!  He should have f'ng said no but he didn't and we see his leadership style.

Wow....who peed in your cheerios today?  Calm down a bit.  You've been pretty on edge/hostile as of late.  Doin ok over there?

Haslam presser during the scheduled McCarthy interview this afternoon.  Haslam needed a break, I guess.

Points of note...

- the head coach will be hired first and then be part of a "committee" that will hire the GM (Jimmy Haslam, DePo, J.W. Haslam, Cooper?) - Now I'm scared

- Focused on coaches with NFL experience.

- Offered Dorsey a new role in the organization before mutually parting ways

- The first 2 or 3 searches, we did NOT have a proper process installed

- DePo is leading the search but ownership will make the final decision but "not in a vacuum"

- Coach will be involved in GM search but won't have "final say", so no "arranged marriage"

- Coach and GM will both report to ownership

- Elliot will remain in his role as Assistant GM

- What to look for in a coach: Leadership, Smart, Good Football Accumen, Work within the ORG, Continuous Learner (25-30 players told Haslam Leadership was needed)

- Wants to use data/analytics to make better decisions

- Coaching search to be focused on "people with NFL coaching experience"

- GM will have final say on 53, but HC has game day 46

- Final words from Haslam were that they are "more determined than ever to learn from our past mistakes"

Wow....who peed in your cheerios today?  Calm down a bit.  You've been pretty on edge/hostile as of late.  Doin ok over there?
You keep harping on Dorsey.  OK.  

He was the issue with Kitchens, he was the issue with the organization, he sucked bringing in talent, he has an ego.  Whatever you say.  He's gone. 

You get the Haslams making the call with no buffer.  No ugly egotistic football guy getting in their way.  

- the head coach will be hired first and then be part of a "committee" that will hire the GM
Should go well.

You keep harping on Dorsey.  OK.  

He was the issue with Kitchens, he was the issue with the organization, he sucked bringing in talent, he has an ego.  Whatever you say.  He's gone. 

You get the Haslams making the call with no buffer.  No ugly egotistic football guy getting in their way.  

Should go well.
Personally, I think the whole entire process was ####ed from the beginning.  Dorsey with the ego, Freddie being inexperienced, Monken being shoved on Dorsey....it was all a total ####show that presented itself on the field.  We're just now hearing all the stories from different areas.  Fully agree that Dorsey brought in a bunch of talent.  No doubt or criticism from me on that point.  I just don't think he knows how to communicate/manage a team.  Great talent evaluator, but not the greatest GM, IMO.  

On the other note, completely agree with HC being part of GM search.  Then both reporting back to Haslem.  Where have I seen this before?

:wall:

Haslam presser during the scheduled McCarthy interview this afternoon.  Haslam needed a break, I guess.

Points of note...

- the head coach will be hired first and then be part of a "committee" that will hire the GM (Jimmy Haslam, DePo, J.W. Haslam, Cooper?) - Now I'm scared

- Focused on coaches with NFL experience.

- Offered Dorsey a new role in the organization before mutually parting ways

- The first 2 or 3 searches, we did NOT have a proper process installed

- DePo is leading the search but ownership will make the final decision but "not in a vacuum"

- Coach will be involved in GM search but won't have "final say", so no "arranged marriage"

- Coach and GM will both report to ownership

- Elliot will remain in his role as Assistant GM

- What to look for in a coach: Leadership, Smart, Good Football Accumen, Work within the ORG, Continuous Learner (25-30 players told Haslam Leadership was needed)

- Wants to use data/analytics to make better decisions

- Coaching search to be focused on "people with NFL coaching experience"

- GM will have final say on 53, but HC has game day 46

Will edit/add as I can...
He's saying the right things - it all comes back to letting processes guide decision making. Had they done that before they'd have drafted Bridgewater instead of Manziel. Hired McDermott instead of Hue. Stefanski instead of Freddie. Etc.

I dont trust him to actually follow through and make the decisions the process spits out. But, we'll see. If he listens to Depo and Wolf then theoretically this HC hire is the correct one. If that hire is on the same page as the 2 incumbents and the GM hire is on the same page as them then theoretically those 4 working in the same direction can help Jimmy avoid his worst enemy, himself. Key word, theoretically. 

Points of note...

Elliot will remain in his role as Assistant GM
1. So you bail on the first interview you have to do a presser. Seems really unprofessional to me but that's me picking nits.

2. No arranged marriage between coach & GM but follow right up with BUT Elliot Wolf is staying no matter what. (I don't disagree with that, just pointing out the inconsistency)

3. Still passively ambivalent to this whole process. The only thing I'm confident in is we will screw this up.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The job title for Paul DePodesta — #Browns chief strategy officer — has not changed, but after a few days of mixed messages to candidates from the organization, DePodesta is now the one running the head coach hiring process for the Haslams, source said. Should be more directed.
Does Rap know that hiring people can be strategic?

Does Rap know that hiring people can be strategic?
Ha!  I'm not sure.  Reading his tweets and Robinson's tweets, they are still trying to fit McDaniels into the HC role- yet they are also contradicting themselves.  The "everyone reports to Haslam" line has one stating McD won't like that and it would rule him out.  Yet follows up with, well if he gets to choose the GM does it matter?  

Everyone out in twitter-verse trying to decipher Haslam's PC and putting their own twist on it.  I'm sure Grossi is out there right now bashing DePo's involvement and how "everything was better before the nerds were involved!"   :lol:

A lot of the doghouse stuff from this season seemed to be pointing back to Dorsey from my perspective...but the media were quick to throw that on the coach and kept asking Fred questions about it. I know Fred is the one made available to the media most of the time, but you could tell he was in cover up mode more than a few times about those players and situations. 

For a positive...I thought the Landry interview I heard was pretty good. He carefully and slowly answered most of the questions, but as soon as he was asked about Baker his response was immediate and firm...basically Baker is the right guy. Also said Baker and unnamed offensive players already have time scheduled in the offseason outside of Berea to work on their chemistry. 

Did we go after Eliot previously or did another NFL team? I seem to remember GB ponying up for someone to stay. Consultant Ron and GM Eliot is something I'd get behind.

Why are we not offering boatloads to Caserio? It's cushy in NE, but at some point you gotta leave the shadow.

In the same breath, is Patricia ready for a gig?

If you told me McDaniels and Caserio are on board and locked in....goodbye everyone.  
It wouldn’t be a Browns shakeup in 2020 if I didn’t go back to McD-Caserio. Feels to me like that’s where we’re headed this time. Even if McD fails miserably like some think, it would be the best hire since the Haslems bought the team. Worth a shot imo.

Depo has an obvious lean towards Stefanski so this would not surprise me one bit. Wonder if Depo can convince the Haslem’s this time. Not sure how I’d feel about this other than just being open minded...can it get worse then Hue and Freddie?

I think McCarthy takes another gig soon before we make any hires. If we did land him, maybe Wolf gets the GM gig even after what Jimmy said today. This scenario probably makes the most sense which is why I don’t think it’s going to happen.

My 2 cents today. Tomorrow is a new day...

So now the Browns either:

A) Take time to find a GM and bring a screeching halt to the coach search and potentially lose out on top candidates

B) Hire a coach first and risk losing top GM candidates who are not happy to not having say in the coach and potentially playing 2nd in command

C) Hire a coach who will also act as GM

Those all seem like great options.
I'm only laughing because the Jets basically did B last year. And then the incompetent GM proceeded to essentially blow the draft like every draft he'd ever done with the Jets, leaving the nuggets of gold completely sifted. 

”Jimmy Haslam will first hire Cleveland Browns’ new head coach, who will have a say in new GM; both will report as equals to ownership”

didn’t they already... try this?

is there another NFL franchise that’s done this, that it’s worked out?

should we all just check back in two years to see what they do next??

”Jimmy Haslam will first hire Cleveland Browns’ new head coach, who will have a say in new GM; both will report as equals to ownership”

is there another NFL franchise that’s done this, that it’s worked out?
Everyone keeps saying San Francisco

If I were the guy in charge of hiring a coach, I think I'd ask all the interviewees for a list of all the things needed for a Superbowl contender & how they would make it happen.  For example, discipline, or talent, or dedication, or film study, or off-season training, or playbook, or...   Everything.  I want everything.

Last time I recall this was the Mangini/Kokinis arrangement of 2009.  Granted this was just before Haslam came into the picture. So Rich-boy Randy was still running the team then.  More concerned with a failing soccer club he bought vs the Browns he inherited.  But whatever.

should we all just check back in two years to see what they do next??
So based on that timeline, I'd come back in 10 years, not 2.

Last time I recall this was the Mangini/Kokinis arrangement of 2009.  Granted this was just before Haslam came into the picture. So Rich-boy Randy was still running the team then.  More concerned with a failing soccer club he bought vs the Browns he inherited.  But whatever.
Farmer/Pettinne?  Thought there was a more recent one under Jimmy.  

HC Interview schedule per Browns:

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1213105016732557314

1/2- McCarthy & Roman - Done & Done.  I think Roman was intelligence gathering.  McCarthy has a shot, but the "committee" is leaning more towards McDaniels and Stefanski.

1/3- Bienemy - meh

1/4- Saleh - Dark horse candidate?

1/5- Daboll - Why, oh why do we want to go through this again?

1/6?- Stefanski - Chance for Haslam to see what he missed last year?

1/10- McDaniels - Chance for DePo to see what he missed last year? 

If MIN loses this weekend, there's an off-chance that Zimmer gets canned.  His contract is up in 2020, and I doubt they will extend it, unless the loss is a very close game. If Zimmer goes, I can see MIN doing everything in their power to keep Stefanski there.  It'll be interesting to see what happens once the game is over.

NEP and McDaniels set the interview date for all interested teams for 1/10.  If they lose to TENN this weekend, then that date could change/move up.  

I don't think Hue "chose" Brown, but that it was more of an arranged marriage.  
Brown was appointed immediately upon Pettine/Farmer getting canned. He was a part of the team that wanted McDermott, but was over ruled by Jimmy and we got Hue.

If any are on OBR, LA is dropping some knowledge on the previous HC.  Dorsey had his hands on him for sure, but Kitchens did nothing to help himself.
The truth being laid out there this morning justifies paying for the subscription. The crowd carrying the fiery pitchforks in the name of Freddie are right. And so are those that said Dorsey was the bigger problem, he enabled this mess. He went against the rest of the room and said hire this man then despite the disaster happening right in front of him not only stood by his side, sustained his stance that he was going to stick with him. And that's just scratching the surface. 

Interesting, Matt Maiaco(sp*) is reporting that Kyle Shannahan supports his assistants considering the Browns. Insinuating that the Haslam's were not one of the 32 reasons he asked out of his contract, that the issues he had inside that building are all no longer there. 

Interesting, Matt Maiaco(sp*) is reporting that Kyle Shannahan supports his assistants considering the Browns. Insinuating that the Haslam's were not one of the 32 reasons he asked out of his contract, that the issues he had inside that building are all no longer there. 
That was an interesting interview, really talked up Saleh

Haslem keeps saying he will hire the coach first. 

does this mean he’s set on McDaniels?
#### who knows with this circus. They have what? 7 scheduled interviews? Most of which will be complete by this weekend...except for McDaniels I think. Everything I've heard is Dee wants McDaniels but if they get blown away by someone before then they can offer them the job. Sounds like they are committed to interview everyone though so I doubt you see anything until McDaniels can interview.

#### who knows with this circus. They have what? 7 scheduled interviews? Most of which will be complete by this weekend...except for McDaniels I think. Everything I've heard is Dee wants McDaniels but if they get blown away by someone before then they can offer them the job. Sounds like they are committed to interview everyone though so I doubt you see anything until McDaniels can interview.
i thought i saw McDaniels was lining up interviews for the 10th?

amnesiac said:
i thought i saw McDaniels was lining up interviews for the 10th?
That's it for now. After Tenn beats NE this weekend, the interview can be scheduled earlier based on the Browns schedule. NE dictated all interviews have to be in the 10th so NE can focus on their next game after Tenn.

That's it for now. After Tenn beats NE this weekend, the interview can be scheduled earlier based on the Browns schedule. NE dictated all interviews have to be in the 10th so NE can focus on their next game after Tenn.
Nice try

How harmful is it if McDaniels is the guy, but the Pats reach the Super Bowl, forcing him to be with them another month? Maybe not very. Just thinking out loud.

How harmful is it if McDaniels is the guy, but the Pats reach the Super Bowl, forcing him to be with them another month? Maybe not very. Just thinking out loud.
it could limit the talent pool available for him to select coordinators. 

another reason it would make sense for the NFL to have a specific time period for signing coaches, similar to what they do with free agency.  

That is two questions.

1.  How harmful would McDaniels be?

IMHO very.  

Personal redemption stories are great because we rarely know if their is a relapse but when it is a public redemption story then everyone depending on the public persona is betting on that person. 

Great positional coach when he is responsible for a handful of people but he's not the big wheel.  When his span of control rises to over 220 people and his primary issue is interpersonal relationships then what?

2.  Waiting to hire the HC and then waiting to hire the GM is the other question.

- the head coach will be hired first and then be part of a "committee" that will hire the GM

When we got the team back in 99 we had to wait to get the organization in place and it hurt us because we had little time before the combine.  So now we're basically handcuffing the team because we don't have a GM.  A GM puts in his scouting organization, etc.  The Combine is in February.  The Super Bowl is in February.

See the problem?  Actually two problems if we hire McDaniels.  

MAC_32 said:
The truth being laid out there this morning justifies paying for the subscription. The crowd carrying the fiery pitchforks in the name of Freddie are right. And so are those that said Dorsey was the bigger problem, he enabled this mess. He went against the rest of the room and said hire this man then despite the disaster happening right in front of him not only stood by his side, sustained his stance that he was going to stick with him. And that's just scratching the surface. 
Amy Trask‏Verified account @AmyTrask

Lotsa chatter about who has final say or total control (at any given team) - ultimately, final say and total control rest with ownership which can at any time terminate the person(s) to whom it was granted - that friends, is final say and total control.

12:51 PM - 2 Jan 2020

Amy Trask‏Verified account @AmyTrask

Lotsa chatter about who has final say or total control (at any given team) - ultimately, final say and total control rest with ownership which can at any time terminate the person(s) to whom it was granted - that friends, is final say and total control.

12:51 PM - 2 Jan 2020
Fair point. That's why Haslem used his final say and total control to get rid of both of them. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread